• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

so this isn't the trekking thread... but i figured people here might know.

i completed toubkal on sunday- and now it hurts to sit down, stairs, anything basically. any ideas what i can do? i'm also completely wiped out with exhaustion so its not too bad a time to have to stay in bed. i've been doing lots of stretching but it doesn't seem to have helped. gonna take a nap but then maybe have a hot bath.
That's such an amazing achievement hun!! SO proud of you! Can you get some epsom salts over there??? Have a hot bath with some epsom salts dissolved in it, the magnesium will do wonders for your sore muslces <3 Or just take some magnesium supplements. I wanna see more photos!! :) <3

congrats on the summit!

as long as the pain isnt concentrated on any specific ares (i.e. an injury) you'll be a-ok. muscle soreness/tightness is totally normal.

stretching can be good. try massaging with a roller if you can. but most importantly is eat well. your body needs those nutrients to repair itself. maybe drink some electrolytes if you can find any, you'll be good in a couple days tops
thankfully not an injury- i had knee supports on cos of an old injury and i think they saved me.

been eating pretty well, might drink some of those dehydration salts things to see if some more electrolytes will help.
That's such an amazing achievement hun!! SO proud of you! Can you get some epsom salts over there??? Have a hot bath with some epsom salts dissolved in it, the magnesium will do wonders for your sore muslces <3 Or just take some magnesium supplements. I wanna see more photos!! :) <3
i think we may actually have some epsom salts!!! need to go to bed now but will try tomorrow if i'm still dying.

posted a couple of pictures in the photo comp thread in LAVA, will post some more when i get round to it lol

In my last race I set a personal best 5k time of 18:47. Beat previous by two seconds. It was 81 degrees F at race time, so I’m definitely very happy with that.(previous PB was set at 42 degrees, much easier to run a fast time there, lol) I should also mention that my pacing was really lousy. I went out super fast, 5:31 first mile, then slowed down too much as a result, but a personal best is still a personal best lol. I won too, but there were no serious runners. Second place was a little over 4 minutes behind me. But it was hella fun and it was a good turnout for a great cause. It raised money for children’s cancer research. Also, it was in my hometown and my family was there.

I’m running a 10k in a couple weeks, hoping to beat PB of 39:45. It’s only my second 10k race, though I’ve run that distance and farther many times. Then in November I want to run a sub-6 per mile average in a 5k race on the 6th.(that PB of 18:47 is 6:03/mile average.)

So right now I’m training for the 10k. I’m still doing cross training with road cycling as I mentioned before to avoid my knee pain issues. I bought a used 2017 Trek 1.2 which is a light, fast road bike. I got a good deal on it and it’s my first road bike. I like it much better than the cheap ass old mountain bike I was previously using.

Anyway, I hope everyone’s running and training is going well. Great time of year now that the hot weather is passing in alot of places.

@RDP89 18:47 5k!? wow

Inspires me. I'm a complete noobie and if I run one in under 30:00 I'm happy :D

I want to run a marathon eventually while my body's age still permits it

I love to run, at least 12 miles/week, but never take it too seriously. I just love it :)

@RDP89 18:47 5k!? wow

Inspires me. I'm a complete noobie and if I run one in under 30:00 I'm happy :D

I want to run a marathon eventually while my body's age still permits it

I love to run, at least 12 miles/week, but never take it too seriously. I just love it :)
Never let age permit you from doing anything. My grandfather was running marathons until he was 70 years old :)

how the fuck do i keep my fitness up after climbing two mountains in 8 days, while having a full time job?
I'm like 98.471% sure that's what highly successful people do on a regular basis

keep it up :)

I'm impressed

you do more in 1 week than most people do in years... you should give yourself some credit

2 mountains in 8 days seems extreme tho :p

made it up the myticas summit of mount olympus. scariest thing i've ever done, see:

how the fuck do i keep my fitness up after climbing two mountains in 8 days, while having a full time job?

They say it only takes 20 mins of cardio a day to maintain fitness. Maybe some power walking lol

but srsly that’s a great accomplishment!

you do more in 1 week than most people do in years... you should give yourself some credit

2 mountains in 8 days seems extreme tho :p
hahaha thank you. yes it is extreme. i actually never expected to actually do both. i got fed up of a trip i booked in sept 19 being cancelled over and over again.... so i booked 2 to try and make sure one would go ahead. both did. not complaining though, i needed a break from drizzly england.

They say it only takes 20 mins of cardio a day to maintain fitness. Maybe some power walking lol

but srsly that’s a great accomplishment!
thank you!! any idea for keeping the strength up? i've put my calves through a lot least i can do is make their pain worth it.

made it up the myticas summit of mount olympus. scariest thing i've ever done, see:

Awesome!!!! As far as staying fit while having a full time job, what I do is have a training plan and don’t waver from it no matter what.

Awesome!!!! As far as staying fit while having a full time job, what I do is have a training plan and don’t waver from it no matter what.
Just curious what days or what time of your schedule you fit in exercise?

Just curious what days or what time of your schedule you fit in exercise?
Right now I’m doing six days on one day off. Run day, bike day, run, bike, run, bike, off. On weekdays I start work at 7 AM or 530 AM on overtime. I get off at 330 PM. So I go straight home and get the days workout in. Weekends I work out in the morning. Friday is my off day.

I realize this can be more difficult for people if they have responsibilities in addition to work that get in the way. I also have the option of getting up early on weekdays and working out before work. But I’ve only done that on days that it’s expected to be super hot and I wasn’t doing heat specific training.

hahaha thank you. yes it is extreme. i actually never expected to actually do both. i got fed up of a trip i booked in sept 19 being cancelled over and over again.... so i booked 2 to try and make sure one would go ahead. both did. not complaining though, i needed a break from drizzly england.

thank you!! any idea for keeping the strength up? i've put my calves through a lot least i can do is make their pain worth it.
I wouldn’t worry too much about keeping strength up lol. While certainly a feat to climb two mountains, you really need consistent use of those muscles to build lasting strength

so I guess either keep doing hill repeats or take it easy and recover for a little while. My choice would be the second!

18:30 5k PB. One more 5k on the 28th then I want to train for a half marathon in spring. Im gonna look for one in April I think.

How is everyone’s training going? It’s getting cold here, eventually I may take my training indoors.

Last edited:
18:30 5k PB. One more 5k on the 28th then I want to train for a half marathon in spring. Im gonna look for one in April I think.
Do a few 10ks, easy runs and then increase. Long slow runs are your friend.

U
Do a few 10ks, easy runs and then increase. Long slow runs are your friend.
Yes, I did a ten miler the other day. My only worry is my knees which have gotten quite painful in the past when I upped mileage. I hadn’t been running very long at that time though, so I’m hoping they are stronger and more resilient now.
Thanks for the feedback!

PXL-20211112-155135315.jpg

Got some new shoes cant wait to run

U

Yes, I did a ten miler the other day. My only worry is my knees which have gotten quite painful in the past when I upped mileage. I hadn’t been running very long at that time though, so I’m hoping they are stronger and more resilient now.
Thanks for the feedback!
Your knees will be sore but just go easy. Honestly when I say long slow runs I mean it. They are the best thing for distance and even race times. Just go easy.

ibuprofen gel or tablets for the knees. They will get used to the workout.

Your knees will be sore but just go easy. Honestly when I say long slow runs I mean it. They are the best thing for distance and even race times. Just go easy.

ibuprofen gel or tablets for the knees. They will get used to the workout.
Yeah, my long slow runs are probably still too fast. My average pace on the ten mile was 7:09/ mile(4:27/km). Probably should be more like 8:30 or even 9:00.

That’s what I’m hoping is that my knees get used to it. I think they already have started to because I consistently ran all the past year, but switched it up with cycling. They would get bad enough before to where I couldn’t run at all without pain to the point I feared I was risking injury, but they always healed quickly. Thanks so much for your input!!

Last edited: