• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Social anxiety in new job

RomanJ

Bluelighter
As the title says, I started a new job this week and it's gone ok actually but today my anxiety levels have been really high.
I've been relatively anxiety and depression free for the past few years so hoping this passes.
Anyone else struggle with anxiety in work?

Thanks for posting!

I think that 99% of us with mental illness experience high anxiety at some point or other. Without knowing more, we can basically just list our experiences. No worries mate! I'll just ask a few primers. Feel free to answer or not.

So: what do you do? Is it skilled? When during your shift do you experience anxiety? Anything otherwise associated with it?

Have you been diagnosed? If so, are you in treatment/what kind?

Do you use any drugs, legal or otherwise? What about in the past?

How long has this been going on?

This is all so that we can best help. Good luck!

That is a tough one because there is always anxiety in any kind of work just some positions can be worse than others.

You just have to learn to take deep breaths and stay calm at all times and find a proper way to deal with anxiety as a whole.

It is easier said than done but the more time goes by the more that you get used to everything.

Jobs can be very stressful and can be needed for health issues caused by the work itself.

Or you can always start praying for strength. ♡🕊

It's tough I know. ☺

Cheers for the reply mate.

It's kind of a step up the career ladder I guess, it's a Fire and Security Engineer job.

Anxiety is around people! Most of the week I've been with another guy learning the ropes. We've got on ok and I have enjoyed it most days.
My anxiety has increased when I'm around the other guys in a group. Had to get a lift home today squeezed in a van with 2 other guys which seemed to ramp up my stress levels even more.

I take a SNRI, Duloxetine which has been amazing in helping me sleep and function day to day for the past 2 years. I have asked my doc to change to a SSRI soon as Duloxetine makes me sleepy when I drive, job includes a lot if driving.

I've never had any formal diagnosis for anything, I don't see how it could help me.

Had counselling for social anxiety which was helpful.

Used drugs and alcohol a lot on and off over my life, it's been great 🤘!

Had anxiety issues since the day I was born I guess, always been sensitive.

I know I have never did the formal route before. I can't even imagine another obligation.
I hear it is so beneficial for so many that accept the commitment and focus to benefit from counciling support systems.
I have never had much interest after the initial first greeting of the help and session.
Too much fluff for me trying to even get started so used to my own trails.