Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Suboxone and alcohol.

TerrorDome

Greenlighter
Earlier last year I went to rehab and started on Buprenorphine. It's been over 7 months and I'm currently on 28mg/day.

I work in a bar at the moment and have gone out with coworkers and had a few drinks, since I have started the suboxone alcohol gives me absolutely no desired effects.

The most I can notice is after using stimulants and I have a few drinks I'm a bit more relaxed but no desirable buzz or euphoria / social lubrication.

Does Bupe or Naloxone kill the desirable effects of alcohol?

28 mgs kills almost everything

Doctors are fucking so many people over with those high doses

Would you suggest I lower my dose.
Is there a dose that doesn't absolutely kill the effects of alcohol.

(I haven't had a problem with benzos or stimulants)

If youre over opiate/oid withdrawals anything over a couple of milligrams is non beneficial and does nothing for pain relief

As always ymmv
(but cant by much)

Would you suggest I lower my dose.
Is there a dose that doesn't absolutely kill the effects of alcohol.

(I haven't had a problem with benzos or stimulants)
Read up on it though ...
by far the most benefits ive experienced from buprenorphine was pain relief (Buprenex 1/3 of a mg subcutaneous)

Not advising to use a needle but it works best at lowest / infrequent dose

Most opiates destroy the positives of alcohol IME. I quit a 15 year long alcoholism issue with Heroin. Now alcohol is ruined for me forever (and I'm eternally grateful).

Maybe if I was 100% clean of opiates alcohol would feel good again but I don't have any desire to go back.

If you think about it - Naltrexone is used to help people quit alcohol as it stops you getting the alcohol high, so most any opiate should do the same.

Fuck alcohol man - it's evil. Be happy you don't like it any more and have 1 social beer with friends occasionally.

Most opiates destroy the positives of alcohol IME. I quit a 15 year long alcoholism issue with Heroin. Now alcohol is ruined for me forever (and I'm eternally grateful).

Maybe if I was 100% clean of opiates alcohol would feel good again but I don't have any desire to go back.

If you think about it - Naltrexone is used to help people quit alcohol as it stops you getting the alcohol high, so most any opiate should do the same.

Fuck alcohol man - it's evil. Be happy you don't like it any more and have 1 social beer with friends occasionally.

Can relate, acquiring a heroin habit pretty much killed my alcoholism stone dead. Don't get me wrong I'll still have a few watching the footy with mates once every now and again but nothing like before.

If youre over opiate/oid withdrawals anything over a couple of milligrams is non beneficial and does nothing for pain relief

As always ymmv
(but cant by much)
I know your comment is fairly old, but I was wondering if you had any advice on tapering down once thru opioid withdrawals that you’d care to share?

I’m currently 5 days clean from a solid 2-3 years of 15-30+ Norco/Percocet/oxy daily use. I found that 6mg/day of Suboxone strips has helped immensely with eliminating withdrawals and managing my opioid induced hyperalgesia/regular back and neck pain, and then 6-10ish hrs later I have been taking another 2mg for pain, not withdrawal symptoms. I’m not trying to replace the pills with strips long term tho. I’d be fine taking 1-2mg/day for a while to help with pain and cravings, but any advice on going from 6-8mg/day down to 1-2mg/day would be dope! (No pun intended. Lol.)

Hey man, I tapered down from 28mg to 8mg and continuing down to 2mg.
I started with waiting out the Suboxone half life (24hrs - 48hrs) just until I started to get hints of withdrawal and started dosing half of my usual dose every few days gauging how I feel and waiting out the half life each time and slowly decreasing 2mg-4mg every second day or so.

This is a fast taper and just listen to your body and how you feel, if you don't feel well just dose more in 1mg increments until you do and continue to decrease in 0.5mg-1mg if you want to play it safe.

Listen to your body and just dose what is needed for you to feel comfortable no need to rapid taper if you begin to feel ill.

It is also a good idea you communicate with your prescriber if you want a proffessional guided taper, they can help with that if you feel iffy about doing this yourself.

Earlier last year I went to rehab and started on Buprenorphine. It's been over 7 months and I'm currently on 28mg/day.

I work in a bar at the moment and have gone out with coworkers and had a few drinks, since I have started the suboxone alcohol gives me absolutely no desired effects.

The most I can notice is after using stimulants and I have a few drinks I'm a bit more relaxed but no desirable buzz or euphoria / social lubrication.

I could be wrong about the following, but I believe naloxone is closely related to naltrexone as a substance.

Naltrexone is an opiate blocker and it's also commonly prescribed on the PBS (not for opiate blocking effects) for alcoholism, because it dulls the euphoric effects of alcohol. I've found that when I've been on it (my doctor tended to put me on it for opiate use then just say I was an alcoholic to the medicare authority to get it cheap for me, which wasn't exactly a stretch as when I do drink I drink alcoholically) I've noticed that I can go out and have a single drink with zero desire to drink more. Last time I was on it I bought a 6 pack and had 3 the first night, 2 the second night, then left the last one in the fridge for weeks until a friend came over and offered it to him.

I don't really know how to explain the feeling but it sort of makes you not want to finish your drink in my experience, especially since you become aware over time that you're not going to be getting drunk.

W
I know your comment is fairly old, but I was wondering if you had any advice on tapering down once thru opioid withdrawals that you’d care to share?

I’m currently 5 days clean from a solid 2-3 years of 15-30+ Norco/Percocet/oxy daily use. I found that 6mg/day of Suboxone strips has helped immensely with eliminating withdrawals and managing my opioid induced hyperalgesia/regular back and neck pain, and then 6-10ish hrs later I have been taking another 2mg for pain, not withdrawal symptoms. I’m not trying to replace the pills with strips long term tho. I’d be fine taking 1-2mg/day for a while to help with pain and cravings, but any advice on going from 6-8mg/day down to 1-2mg/day would be dope! (No pun intended. Lol.)
What do you meam by 'opiate induced'. How do opiates cause you back pain? Or are you just talking about the hyperalgesia only?
You really shouldnt be using subs for pain relief. I mean, yeah you could but i dunno; I feel other non opiate pain relief might be more effective than it if your worried about addiction.
I'm tapering down from methadone atm and the only advice i can give you is to take it slow. I went from 110mg a day to now only 20mg. I just lowered it by 10 or 5mg until i got where i wanted to.

I have been on subs previously so the same principle applies. Slowly lower your dose by like .2 or .4 each few weeks or month.
The higher your dose of suboxone, the higher your naloxone dose so it will affect other drugs like alco. Personally i prefer subutex but only cuz i hate the film. Rarely works cuz im a smoker yet pills somehow do, its weird. Might be something to do with the naloxone. Its funny cuz the naloxone is suppose to prevent i.v use yet it doesnt actually work. The film is even easier to dissolve that its a joke! Also easier to smuggle.
Should have stuck to pills.

I'm the polar opposite I'm on 16mg a day and actually drink alot more than when im not on subs, I'm definitely an alcoholic, haven't went a single day without drinking in the last 8 years but when I'm on suboxone I drink a fifth or more of rum every single day. I'm currently drinking 3 1750ml bottles a week. They just synergies so well for me

I'm the polar opposite I'm on 16mg a day and actually drink alot more than when im not on subs, I'm definitely an alcoholic, haven't went a single day without drinking in the last 8 years but when I'm on suboxone I drink a fifth or more of rum every single day. I'm currently drinking 3 1750ml bottles a week. They just synergies so well for me
... Are you TRYING to make your liver hand in its notice prematurely -?

I’m on 96 mg buvidal monthly and it makes alcohol better if anything. I think it’s the naloxone ruining your alcohol