• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone and Lexapro experience?

Man67

Bluelighter
Before starting Suboxone I was on 20mg Lexapro (morning) for 7-8 years. When I said to my Dr. that Subs have positive effect regarding my depression, he suggested to tapper Lexapro down to 10mg. For the first couple of days I didn't feel any difference. After that I have a feeling that my depression is coming back. Especially in the morning when I wake up. But for most of the day I felt fine. Was it a real thing or just my imagination, I don't know. But I quit this experiment and started to take 20mg again. My Dr's appointment is in 2 weeks time, so I didn't have a chance to tell him anything. Is there anybody here that takes the same combo (Subs + Lexapro)? I would really appreciate some words of wisdom and personal experiences.🙏

Anybody? I can't believe that nobody tried Suboxone and antidepressants. It doesn't have to be Lexapro. Reason for this question is simple. Since Suboxone works as antidepressant as well, is it safe to quit other antidepressants that I take for years? I don't think that they work anymore but "better safe than sorry". My Dr. is on holiday and I will see him in a 4 weeks time. Also, if I need to continue with antidep. should I take it before or after Subs? 🤔

12mg of suboxone daily for 2yrs then doc added 20mg Lexapro daily. Caused me to start sleep walking along with other side effects. I stopped the Lexapro
Wow, you're only the second person after myself who I read from such side effects from opioid+SSRI. I developed something like what's called REM sleep movement disorder where my body isn't fully immobilized and I'd babble and shout, sometimes move during dreams. Was quite awkward because nothing helped, not benzos, not antipsychotics or antihistamines, nothing. Only after ceasing both drugs (venlafaxine plus morphine in my case but it also happened with bupe plus venlafaxine), one wasn't enough, the strength of symptoms decreased but it continued to be there. Even now with months off the venlafaxine it sometimes comes back a little. Scares me somehow, drugs aren't supposed to have permanent effects unless seriously neurotoxic ones. Weirdly doesn't Kratom trigger the sleep condition, I'm now using that and have been fine so far. But it's very weak for me, no comparison even with codeine. It just keeps nervousness and specially cravings at bay.

But to the OP, it seems to be a very rare phenomenon, if you feel better taking 20mg Lexapro then go for it. May I ask for how long you've been taking that? My experience is that SSRIs are, contrary to usual belief, sometimes addictive including rebound depression and a bunch of unique withdrawal effects like brain zaps.

I'm prescribed Lexapro, but I never get through the initial phase of starting it. It makes my anxiety worse and gives me insom

nia. Does it actually ever help with anxiety, I struggle with bad social anxiety and it's been causing alot of problems and misunderstandings here lately

I'm prescribed Lexapro, but I never get through the initial phase of starting it. It makes my anxiety worse and gives me insom

nia. Does it actually ever help with anxiety, I struggle with bad social anxiety and it's been causing alot of problems and misunderstandings here lately
I am on Lexapro for the last 7-8 years and it used to work at the beginning. Now? I don't think so. I gradually tapered my dose from 20 to 5mg and hopefully I will stop by the end of the year. I found Suboxone doing miracles for depression and anxiety and its much better than any antidepressant I tried so far. And trust me l tried them all. So to cut long story short, Suboxone (under 4mg per day) does the job for me. Good luck.

I took Prozac and Subutex the Prozac for 5 months and the Subutex for 10 years I only ever noticed a mild antidepressant effect from subs and it was more of just a mild buzz all day but I skipped days so that I don't get all the way tolerant. But I really wouldn't consider Suboxone a true antidepressant like how the MAOI would be or something or ketamine and honestly I would just taper off the Lexapro I've never had any benefit from any of the ssris and they tend to cause rare but dangerous psychological reactions it's actually why I believe there's so many shootings in the world today

I got your point mate. I was miserable on 20mg Lexapro and when I dropped to 10mg nothing has changed. Since I started Suboxone therapy 7-8 months ago, I am a different person. No more suicidal thoughts when I wake up, no more lying in bed all day.... I am now on 2mg of Suboxone which is the lowest dose (l started with 16mg). I was able to cut Lexapro to 5mg without noticing any change. I also take another antidepressant at night (Endep) which helps me sleep because its not SSRI. I won't make any predictions because its still early but I think that I found the right path? 🤔 I just hope that its gonna last.

Suboxone and SSRIs/SNRI's seem to give me serotonin syndrome-like side effects.
Hand tremors, projectile vomiting, nausea, internal burning sensations,
There have been cases of SS reported from just single use of suboxone, including on reputable websites like pubmed.

But since there's no clear pharmacology described about how suboxone even affects serotonin, most doctors dismiss this as a possibility.
Suboxone can be good for depression though. I use to be very suicidal, self mutilate, chug alcohol/cough syrup & drugs in a self destructive manner.
All of that changed after I got on suboxone. It was great for the first year or two, but I'm at 5 years now on bupe & my depression has come back.
Also cravings for full agonists has come back. I find full agonists much more effective for depression. Bupe has it's place but it'd be nice if there were other options available.

The serotonin theory for depression is just that though, a theory. There's no proof that depression is caused by low serotonin. It was just another marketing scheme to push antidepressants.

Suboxone and SSRIs/SNRI's seem to give me serotonin syndrome-like side effects.
Hand tremors, projectile vomiting, nausea, internal burning sensations,
There have been cases of SS reported from just single use of suboxone, including on reputable websites like pubmed.

But since there's no clear pharmacology described about how suboxone even affects serotonin, most doctors dismiss this as a possibility.
Suboxone can be good for depression though. I use to be very suicidal, self mutilate, chug alcohol/cough syrup & drugs in a self destructive manner.
All of that changed after I got on suboxone. It was great for the first year or two, but I'm at 5 years now on bupe & my depression has come back.
Also cravings for full agonists has come back. I find full agonists much more effective for depression. Bupe has it's place but it'd be nice if there were other options available.

The serotonin theory for depression is just that though, a theory. There's no proof that depression is caused by low serotonin. It was just another marketing scheme to push antidepressants.
You are absolutely right. SSRI don't work and l switched 7-8 different brands with almost no improvement at all. Since I started Suboxone i gradually tapered Lexapro from 20 to 5 mg. Subs are much more effective in my case, so I will try to quit SSRI completely in the next few weeks. I'm sorry to hear that Subs stop working for you and l hope that you will find something better. Oxy was the best antidepressant I ever tried but you know the rest of the story. Good luck mate. ✌️

You are absolutely right. SSRI don't work and l switched 7-8 different brands with almost no improvement at all. Since I started Suboxone i gradually tapered Lexapro from 20 to 5 mg. Subs are much more effective in my case, so I will try to quit SSRI completely in the next few weeks. I'm sorry to hear that Subs stop working for you and l hope that you will find something better. Oxy was the best antidepressant I ever tried but you know the rest of the story. Good luck mate. ✌️
Glad somethings finally working for you man!

Opioids have always given me the best antidepressant effect without robbing me of my personality or giving me brain zaps & other crazy side effects.
I'm thankful I at least have bupe or I might not be here right now.
Although I hope society pulls it's head out of it's ass one day.

I mean, when one SSRI quits helping or whatever, they just switch to another one. Would be nice to have that same choice with opioids.
All the best man! Cheers!

I couldn't agree more. SSRI seems to help a bit at the beginning or is it just an auto suggestion? If you complain thay just increase the dose or make a swich to another brand. That's how they make money. From my personal experience Oxy was far the best antidepressant I ever tried. But you know the rest. Tolerance, addiction, you always need more.... That's the main reason why I asked for Suboxone treatment. It won't get you high but it works for many things. A real lifesaver. ✌️