• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone - "The best of"

Man67

Bluelighter
Most of the questions here are very similar. Should I get to x dose? How is the x dose working? Any side effects on the x dose....? In order to get some clear picture, we need somebody who's already been up and down. If there is such a person here, it would be nice to get some general idea about what to expect? Obviously, we are not all the same and tolerance to Subs is mostly different. But some generic experience and positive and negative symptoms would be much appreciated. 😎✌️

Suboxone has so much popularity now lol. I'm guessing we all got too high during the quarantine and are trying to move on in some way haha.

Bupe is much stronger than most think... I don't remember the morphine equivalence per milligram but it was shockingly high. There is a built in ceiling effect so I will get to the point:

2 milligrams is probably the best it gets really. 1 milligram even if 2 is too potent for someone. Someone trying to get as high as possible from suboxone (like me one week) was very disappointing when I wasted all of them to experience no euphoria past 2 milligrams and other days there was no relief from withdrawals post 2 milligrams unless I waited several hours later in the day.

I like suboxone because the government CANNOT shit on it and try to take it away to make us perpetually stuck on opiates and pharmaceuticals they profit more off of I think. It's not a dependency drug in terms of mentally addictiveness so much like other forms of opioids. It can definitely be lethal to consume insane amounts of suboxone and not achieve a high remotely worth dying for lol. No high is worth dying for .. but bupe high may be the most disappointing way to go out because some actually have overdosed from bupe. Start small > gauge how you feel. I would never exceed 4 milligrams for reference because its futile for me to try.

2 milligrams is a good dose for moderate junkies probably. .5 for beginners. Advanced junkies will be disappointed in the high unless they are purposefully using suboxone to avoid a full blown opiate withdrawal of nightmares.

Suboxone has so much popularity now lol. I'm guessing we all got too high during the quarantine and are trying to move on in some way haha.

Bupe is much stronger than most think... I don't remember the morphine equivalence per milligram but it was shockingly high. There is a built in ceiling effect so I will get to the point:

2 milligrams is probably the best it gets really. 1 milligram even if 2 is too potent for someone. Someone trying to get as high as possible from suboxone (like me one week) was very disappointing when I wasted all of them to experience no euphoria past 2 milligrams and other days there was no relief from withdrawals post 2 milligrams unless I waited several hours later in the day.

I like suboxone because the government CANNOT shit on it and try to take it away to make us perpetually stuck on opiates and pharmaceuticals they profit more off of I think. It's not a dependency drug in terms of mentally addictiveness so much like other forms of opioids. It can definitely be lethal to consume insane amounts of suboxone and not achieve a high remotely worth dying for lol. No high is worth dying for .. but bupe high may be the most disappointing way to go out because some actually have overdosed from bupe. Start small > gauge how you feel. I would never exceed 4 milligrams for reference because its futile for me to try.

2 milligrams is a good dose for moderate junkies probably. .5 for beginners. Advanced junkies will be disappointed in the high unless they are purposefully using suboxone to avoid a full blown opiate withdrawal of nightmares.
You are absolutely right and have more experience with this stuff, then me. When I just started my Dr. put me on initial dose of 16mg. It was too strong so I experimented for a couple of weeks until I got on 8 mg. I know it's probably too much but it's working like a miracle. I've been on 4mg for a several days, but I couldn't sleep at all. "Don't fix something that is not broken" is my favourite saying, and at the moment I really don't have mental strength to tapper it down. But I managed to reduce my both antidepressants (Lexapro, Endep) to a minimum dose. What's gonna happen in the future, nobody knows? 🤔

I see a lot of people say that it like peaks out at 2mg? I've never found this to be the case, personally. I have been on up to 16mg daily before, and imo that is just a stronger dose full out. Most people start on like at least 8mg. I am not saying that my experience is universal for everybody or how it works scientifically, but I've found higher doses to correspond to more effects. I mean, I've at this point tapered off Suboxone completely, but had to take 2mg today to prove that I am still med compliant for my drug screen for probation tomorrow. And barely felt anything. If I had taken 8-16mg I feel like I would've at least gotten some stronger effects. But I also have a very high tolerance to opioids, so idk. Ymmv

I've been on suboxone 5 times since I've been 17, usually for around 6-8 months at a time until this last time when I agreed to go on it for 2-5 years to finally properly treat my opiate use disorder.

I've been on the strips, on varying doses between 24mg and 2mg, as well as on the Buprenorphine monthly injection (sublocade).

I found that stabilising, I normally started on a dose between 4-6mg which would often give me a small buzz for a week or 5 days or so, then wear off.

One of the prescribers was for some reason supportive of higher dose Suboxone, and dosed me up to 24mg which I found shit, because it didn't do anything positive compared to the downside of being harder to come off after a period of time, and I was on a schedule to get off the medication by 6 months from then to go overseas.

I dropped from 24mg to 4mg in around 2 weeks rapidly, and found I had zero issues with withdrawal from dropping that dose.

Other times I've definitely found that stabilising on the absolute lowest possible dose is the best outcome. It means your withdrawal will be easier, by a wide margin, and also reduces negative side effects. The sweet spot I would say is 2-4mg.

At the moment I have to be up at equivalent to 8mg per day for 64mg sublocade monthly. I love the monthly injection, it's so convenient and I never have to go to the chemist every day for my pick ups and start resenting that, my dose is done in usually under 30 min and I'm on my way.

I've found the injection is better for me, as I haven't even tried using on top of it because I actually don't believe it's possible due to the constant blood level of Buprenorphine in my system. That, and because I can't skip my dose I can't get it low enough to manage to use. It being injected for me also means that I cannot abuse my maintenance therapy as I don't have any strips to shoot, snort it smoke.

I've also been on subutex, which where I live is used for a slow taper off suboxone. They prescribe it in 0.4mg doses and you slowly work your way down from 2mg. I've felt the best of all times I've been on maintenance therapy while on subutex instead of Suboxone.

I can't stress enough, stabilising on the *lowest* dose you possibly can is crucial to success with maintenance therapy and having a painless taper.

There is only a certain level at which suboxone adds any positives to a patient's life, and that threshold is basically reached by 8mg. More than that it's practically adding an increased dose with no real reason to do so, and the downside of meaning that you'll fuck up the taper at the end.

The only people who should remain on higher doses of maintainance therapy are those who cannot stop using opiates while on the medication, and who are very likely to remain on the maintenance therapy their entire life. In those situations it makes sense to dose them high to try and block their receptors and prevent their use but for everyone else it's relatively pointless and counter productive.

I've been put on bupe when I was struggling with my dissociative addiction and was desperate for something legally prescribed so I could stop hiding and fearing the police etc. and the docs didn't know much about dissos at all which I didn't care for so I got on subutex. They titrated me up from 0.4mg to 4mg and besides some initial threshold nodding when lying down it had no real effects. I'm unsure whether it caused some blockade against negative thoughts as it is sometimes used for against depression (kappa receptor blockade) as I indeed seemed to having had less intrusive thought stuff but I was also continuing to use dissociatives which I guess were the real origin. After 9 months or so I decided to get off the bupe and had next to no withdrawal (still using dissociatives which modulate opioid tolerance, so again unsure).

It is a potent agent like morphine x60 or so, but its partial agonism (~30% if I'm right) make it uniquely non-intoxicating. This is great for people requiring a maintenance agent but it wasn't what I was looking for or in need of.
Later I should get morphine / methadone which were much more euphoric but similarly also more addictive. The best opioid experiences I had were for one with BDPC/bromadol and the other methadone+methylphenidate (both prescribed).

I've been put on bupe when I was struggling with my dissociative addiction and was desperate for something legally prescribed so I could stop hiding and fearing the police etc. and the docs didn't know much about dissos at all which I didn't care for so I got on subutex. They titrated me up from 0.4mg to 4mg and besides some initial threshold nodding when lying down it had no real effects. I'm unsure whether it caused some blockade against negative thoughts as it is sometimes used for against depression (kappa receptor blockade) as I indeed seemed to having had less intrusive thought stuff but I was also continuing to use dissociatives which I guess were the real origin. After 9 months or so I decided to get off the bupe and had next to no withdrawal (still using dissociatives which modulate opioid tolerance, so again unsure).

It is a potent agent like morphine x60 or so, but its partial agonism (~30% if I'm right) make it uniquely non-intoxicating. This is great for people requiring a maintenance agent but it wasn't what I was looking for or in need of.
Later I should get morphine / methadone which were much more euphoric but similarly also more addictive. The best opioid experiences I had were for one with BDPC/bromadol and the other methadone+methylphenidate (both prescribed).
It's good to see that someone managed to tapper of Suboxone with no major issues. It gives me hope that I can do it as well. I am on 8mg from the beginning and don't have any problems or side effects. I am afraid to go down to 6or even 4mg because I am not sure that the lower dose will give me the same benefits? Does "Don't fix something that is not broken" makes sense to you?

I've been on suboxone 5 times since I've been 17, usually for around 6-8 months at a time until this last time when I agreed to go on it for 2-5 years to finally properly treat my opiate use disorder.

I've been on the strips, on varying doses between 24mg and 2mg, as well as on the Buprenorphine monthly injection (sublocade).

I found that stabilising, I normally started on a dose between 4-6mg which would often give me a small buzz for a week or 5 days or so, then wear off.

One of the prescribers was for some reason supportive of higher dose Suboxone, and dosed me up to 24mg which I found shit, because it didn't do anything positive compared to the downside of being harder to come off after a period of time, and I was on a schedule to get off the medication by 6 months from then to go overseas.

I dropped from 24mg to 4mg in around 2 weeks rapidly, and found I had zero issues with withdrawal from dropping that dose.

Other times I've definitely found that stabilising on the absolute lowest possible dose is the best outcome. It means your withdrawal will be easier, by a wide margin, and also reduces negative side effects. The sweet spot I would say is 2-4mg.

At the moment I have to be up at equivalent to 8mg per day for 64mg sublocade monthly. I love the monthly injection, it's so convenient and I never have to go to the chemist every day for my pick ups and start resenting that, my dose is done in usually under 30 min and I'm on my way.

I've found the injection is better for me, as I haven't even tried using on top of it because I actually don't believe it's possible due to the constant blood level of Buprenorphine in my system. That, and because I can't skip my dose I can't get it low enough to manage to use. It being injected for me also means that I cannot abuse my maintenance therapy as I don't have any strips to shoot, snort it smoke.

I've also been on subutex, which where I live is used for a slow taper off suboxone. They prescribe it in 0.4mg doses and you slowly work your way down from 2mg. I've felt the best of all times I've been on maintenance therapy while on subutex instead of Suboxone.

I can't stress enough, stabilising on the *lowest* dose you possibly can is crucial to success with maintenance therapy and having a painless taper.

There is only a certain level at which suboxone adds any positives to a patient's life, and that threshold is basically reached by 8mg. More than that it's practically adding an increased dose with no real reason to do so, and the downside of meaning that you'll fuck up the taper at the end.

The only people who should remain on higher doses of maintainance therapy are those who cannot stop using opiates while on the medication, and who are very likely to remain on the maintenance therapy their entire life. In those situations it makes sense to dose them high to try and block their receptors and prevent their use but for everyone else it's relatively pointless and counter productive.
I was always wondering what is the main difference between the Suboxone and Sublocade? Having something once a month is much more convenient than everyday dose. But is there anything else besides that? 🤔

I see a lot of people say that it like peaks out at 2mg? I've never found this to be the case, personally. I have been on up to 16mg daily before, and imo that is just a stronger dose full out. Most people start on like at least 8mg. I am not saying that my experience is universal for everybody or how it works scientifically, but I've found higher doses to correspond to more effects. I mean, I've at this point tapered off Suboxone completely, but had to take 2mg today to prove that I am still med compliant for my drug screen for probation tomorrow. And barely felt anything. If I had taken 8-16mg I feel like I would've at least gotten some stronger effects. But I also have a very high tolerance to opioids, so idk. Ymmv
We are not the same and most people react different to the same dose. But from your personal experience, would you try to tapper down 8mg that works perfectly well or just leave it as it is? 🤔

I was always wondering what is the main difference between the Suboxone and Sublocade? Having something once a month is much more convenient than everyday dose. But is there anything else besides that? 🤔

As I mentioned in my post, sublocade can be a better option (and is in my case) for those on maintenance therapy who struggle with abusing or misusing their dose or skipping doses to use like I regularly did.

It sort of acts as a fail safe against those types of behaviours as they cannot physically be done on the injection, so a person is able to eliminate those patterns of addiction like behaviour from their life and work on just focussing on recovery.

I know when I tapered off subutex in 2021 at the start of the year I told myself I was tapering because I was finally done with drugs. In reality I was done with going to the chemist every day and being reminded of being a junky. I started shooting the pills as soon as they gave me the pills and that really should have been a firm indication to me that I was not in fact done with drugs, and really needed to stay on maintenance therapy and perhaps even ask to go on injections at that point. Instead I did it 6 months later or so.

There is no real difference in how you feel on the two different types of medication, from my understanding it is mainly regarding preventing misuse, abuse, diversion, and use of opiates on top of medication so patients can actually not continue addictive behaviours. Because you're not really recovering while you're shooting your subs, that is actively using really. Not good for you either, and definitely not really changing your behaviour much. Not at all the purpose of maintainance therapy.

I think it peaks out at 8mg, and basically you get the full saturation effects at 16mg. I don't think I've met many people who have ever actually *needed* to be on a higher dose than 8mg and I remember meeting a guy in NA who had broken his arm and never knew because he took so much fucking heroin he could not feel it and even HE only got dosed on 8mg.

Having been on both higher and lower doses I think the main benefit of a higher dose is saturation of opiate receptors which may be useful for people who struggle to resist the urge to keep using on top of the suboxone.

Anyone who is aiming to taper within 2 years imo should aim to keep their dose as low as possible which they can comfortably stabilise on and which doesn't ramp up their long term dependence.

Sublocade is an injection, much like with depot antipsychotics. I don't know for sure but I guess it will be difficult to dose the shot adequately as everybody's metabolism is different but the primary difference is the involvement of needles. I personally would choice any amount of oral/intranasal/sublingual dosages over shots and it is the reason I'm not yet on testosterone replacement therapy until I find a vendor for cheap T to compound it into a gel. But of course if you tolerate needles then sublocade offers the benefit of only once every 30 days.

Well, you could try how you react if you go down to 6mg and then 4mg before telling your doc, so that you keep the freedom to use what dose you want.
I was using dissociatives (mostly deschloroketamine) during the time before and when I've stopped the bupe, and there's evidence that dissociatives protect against or even reverse tolerance and addiction to opioids by some interaction on receptor level. When later I was on morphine and skipped two days I'd get medium strength misery and was scared about how intense it would get so I'd continue the morphine until I could get some memantine (another dissociative/NMDA antagonist, the only which is available as a pill form and also a very clear-headed chemical), with megadoses of that (60-80mg/d) and some loperamide against the diarrhea I had next to no withdrawal.

If you can't cut down on the bupe, maybe you might get a memantine script from your doc? There's a ton of material about the use of NMDAr antagonists against addiction on PubMed, if you are interested I can post you some links. Other option is DXM, the over the counter cough suppressant which when dosed above therapeutic range is also a dissociative, albeit a much more promiscuous and sometimes dirty one. It might even be active in therapeutic range (60-120mg/d) and I read that some pain docs prescribe it alongside morphine or the opioid of choice to keep tolerance development in check.

I too have noticed increased euphoria up to 12mg, and then no real increase above that.

Sublocade is an injection, much like with depot antipsychotics. I don't know for sure but I guess it will be difficult to dose the shot adequately as everybody's metabolism is different but the primary difference is the involvement of needles. I personally would choice any amount of oral/intranasal/sublingual dosages over shots and it is the reason I'm not yet on testosterone replacement therapy until I find a vendor for cheap T to compound it into a gel. But of course if you tolerate needles then sublocade offers the benefit of only once every 30 days.

Well, you could try how you react if you go down to 6mg and then 4mg before telling your doc, so that you keep the freedom to use what dose you want.
I was using dissociatives (mostly deschloroketamine) during the time before and when I've stopped the bupe, and there's evidence that dissociatives protect against or even reverse tolerance and addiction to opioids by some interaction on receptor level. When later I was on morphine and skipped two days I'd get medium strength misery and was scared about how intense it would get so I'd continue the morphine until I could get some memantine (another dissociative/NMDA antagonist, the only which is available as a pill form and also a very clear-headed chemical), with megadoses of that (60-80mg/d) and some loperamide against the diarrhea I had next to no withdrawal.

If you can't cut down on the bupe, maybe you might get a memantine script from your doc? There's a ton of material about the use of NMDAr antagonists against addiction on PubMed, if you are interested I can post you some links. Other option is DXM, the over the counter cough suppressant which when dosed above therapeutic range is also a dissociative, albeit a much more promiscuous and sometimes dirty one. It might even be active in therapeutic range (60-120mg/d) and I read that some pain docs prescribe it alongside morphine or the opioid of choice to keep tolerance development in check.

I honestly do not think the Buprenorphine levels drop that dramatically over the month, given it can take up to a year or more for all traces of it to leave someone's system entirely. I've never ended my 4 week period in even a slight state of withdrawal, and I've sometimes pushed my dose back to 6 weeks. Even then it's been only mild.

I think a person would find it Incredibly difficult to use opiates on top of the injection for this reason. Not impossible of course, but for example I am having a hysterectomy done within the next two months and will be remaining on my sublocade for the procedure. They're just going to dose me the hell up with IV fentanyl in the ward post surgery to break through the blocking mechanism as well as IV morphine and oral Oxycodone all together, then they'll discharge me with 3-4 times the regular amount of oral Oxycodone. So it can be done, but it would likely be far too expensive for someone to achieve on their own without having substantially reliable income.

Like it said, it isn't that it cannot be done. But I personally certainly wouldn't be in a position to do it on my income and that's a significant deterrent. Also not being able to misuse or abuse the medication and continue to engage in addictive behaviours is a plus.

Thanks for the plenty of useful info. I don't mind the injection and the reason I am asking is that there is a shortage of Suboxone. Personally didn't have such a experience yet, but there was an article in the papers last week about shortage of some medication due to the global crisis. They published a list of about 300 different med. that will be affected and Suboxone is among them. So one way another I will have no choice and Sublocade will be my only option. I am not looking for a nice buzz or any type of euphoria. Suboxone literally saved my life because of it's antidepressant effect. That was my main problem although I am still taking Lexapro and Endep. My opioid dependance is also gone and I have almost forgot about that period of my life. And last but not least, my chronic pain (tension headache) is almost gone. From time to time I have to take paracetamol +ibuprofen and that's it. How should I know which Sublocade dose is equivalent to 8mg of Suboxone and what if all of my symptoms come back? As far as I know, there is no a third option (in Australia). What would you do in my situation? 🤔

I honestly do not think the Buprenorphine levels drop that dramatically over the month, given it can take up to a year or more for all traces of it to leave someone's system entirely. I've never ended my 4 week period in even a slight state of withdrawal, and I've sometimes pushed my dose back to 6 weeks. Even then it's been only mild.

I think a person would find it Incredibly difficult to use opiates on top of the injection for this reason. Not impossible of course, but for example I am having a hysterectomy done within the next two months and will be remaining on my sublocade for the procedure. They're just going to dose me the hell up with IV fentanyl in the ward post surgery to break through the blocking mechanism as well as IV morphine and oral Oxycodone all together, then they'll discharge me with 3-4 times the regular amount of oral Oxycodone. So it can be done, but it would likely be far too expensive for someone to achieve on their own without having substantially reliable income.

Like it said, it isn't that it cannot be done. But I personally certainly wouldn't be in a position to do it on my income and that's a significant deterrent. Also not being able to misuse or abuse the medication and continue to engage in addictive behaviours is a plus.
You are right and I have no desire to feel high again. Not at all. Suboxone gave me a chance to see that the normal life (without opioids) is also possible. I am just worried that the Sublocade shot won't give me the same benefits as 8mg film. I would really like to hear something from people who experienced both options. I don't have a problem taking Subs every day but due to the possible shortage of drugs I will be forced to switch to Sublocade. These are the only two options available in Australia.

I am in the same boat. Although I will say I feel like the higher the dose goes the less effective per mg it seems to be. 16 MG was so much better for me all around than 8. And even 24 was what feels like perfect. Anything beyond that I believe would be a waste for the return you’d get Simply because I do believe you’ve kinda hit the ceiling at that point

I am in the same boat. Although I will say I feel like the higher the dose goes the less effective per mg it seems to be. 16 MG was so much better for me all around than 8. And even 24 was what feels like perfect. Anything beyond that I believe would be a waste for the return you’d get Simply because I do believe you’ve kinda hit the ceiling at that point
Everyone is different. I tried everything from 16 to 2mg. At the end I figured out that 4mg works best for me.

Most people think buprenorphine (and methadone) by default are to "get people off of opiates"...
When in reality, these programs aren't really meant to "get people off opiates".
It's just to get them dependent on non-euphoric govy alternatives that are "approved".
This is why it is called "Maintenance" and not "quitting treatment". You haven't quit opioids if you're still taking one.
I think a lot of people get this confused.

If you're looking to get off of opiates/opioids for good, than tapering whatever one you're already using should be the first thing you try.
Cause otherwise, in reality, you're just hopping onto another one, which i personally think there's nothing wrong with that, but if your intentions are to truly quit, then there are other options.

These drugs can help people with their withdrawals, but for the most part, they are often used for people like me who feel like they desperately need opioids no matter the consequence, for the long term. An "addicts" chances of living are improved if they at least have buprenorphine or methadone.

However, more people could be saved if the war on drugs just wasn't a thing people had to deal with.

Suboxone is okay.
After the honeymoon period with it though, I found that it was back to dealing with drug cravings again.
It also sucked feeling sedated a lot with no euphoria or mood lift. At least on heroin I'd be in a great mood. lol
I at least gave up drinking & find it a tad easier to deal with drug cravings with suboxone than I would without them.
But all in all, these are just longer acting, more potent, non-euphoric versions of drugs people already take. The people in charge don't really give you a fuck if you pop 500 dxn or loperamide pills. What they don't want is you actually feeling good, like you can get up & do things again that you couldn't before is what it seems like.

Last edited:
I am one of these exceptions who didn't get any beneficial effects from (up to 4mg, maybe I dosed too conservatively but initially had me even 2mg to nod) buprenorphine. I hoped for anxiolytic, antidepressant and euphorisant effects and none really happened so I continued use of dissociatives which I hoped to replace by something legally prescribed. Didn't even get a withdrawal but guess this is thanks to the dissos.