• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone's Intranasal Bioavailability - accurate figure?

Supeudol

Bluelighter
According to Wiki, the Intranasal B/A of Buprenorphine is 89%, but does anyone know if this is really accurate at all?

I know it is stronger than sublingual B/A, but does anyone have an accurate site to back this up?

I would also like to know the accurate B/A of Sublingual Suboxone. I've read that Ethanol, even using mouthwash before dissolving the tablet under the tongue will increase the B/A of Bupe.

Thanks in Advance. :)

^ Whoops. Just Realized that, thanks. For some reason, I must have hit Submit Thread twice or some shit.
Anyways, I've done some searching and digging and I am seeing different B/A %'s all over, so can anyone chime in on this or what? I thought somebody would have replied about this by now since there a ton of users on here on bupe.

Check out the Suboxone mega thread. I don't believe 89% is accurate whatsoever. Wikipedia isn't necessarily the best resource for such information.

Check out the Suboxone mega thread. I don't believe 89% is accurate whatsoever. Wikipedia isn't necessarily the best resource for such information.

i agree wiki is part of the reason "you cant believe everything you read on the internet" is a commonly uses statement... granted some information is correct. I have been taking Suboxone for over a year now and i had the compressed powder pills at first and would crush and snort them and would get a buzz an uppity opioid warmth... but as i took it i got nothing out of it, well not nothing it has kept me from using all this time, i now take the sublingual films, i have been told that when taken itranasal it boost the amount taken in at one time... i have also searched the net briefly to no avail... all i can give you is hear-say. i do believe a higher % is acheived by nasal ROA. good luck snorting the srtips lol

It's definitely around 50%, give or take 10% probably, depending on technique. I've always found the BA's listed in the Suboxone/Buprenorphine Megathread to be pretty damn accurate and I've tried every ROA practically aside from IM, SC, and Oral.

It's more around 60% intranasal . It's more instant and sublingual is annoying because u cant.eat. eatorsmoke.

It's more around 60% intranasal . It's more instant and sublingual is annoying because u cant.eat. eatorsmoke. Or eat or smoke while its under ur tongue and its hard to talk and takes a while

It's more around 60% intranasal . It's more instant and sublingual is annoying because u cant.eat. eatorsmoke.

^Seconded.

Also to some of the above posters, I don't always go by Wikipedia since basically anybody can add stuff to it, and a lot of information on Wiki is false. But I did notice that a few other sites listed have Suboxone Intranasal B/A to be anywhere from around 50% - 89%. But like laCster said, it feels like more around 60%. I know it is definitely higher than sublingual.

And we don't have the strips in Canada. Health Canada is far behind in a lot of medications compared to the EU & U.S.

I know it's off topic, but I feel the best ROA for buprenorphine is rectal. It hits you just as fast as IV, and gives the same 'clean' effects. However, it lasts just as long as sublingual, yet it's BA is even higher than insufflation.

Also, I just wanted to add, that the only way I feel one can say with authority whether a listed BA is correct is if they've used the drug in question intravenously, as that ROA has 99-100% absorption, so all other BA's would be relative to that. I feel confident that insufflation is around 50-55% as I would have to sniff twice the dose Id need to IV to get the same effect. I also believe that sublingual is 30% because when I'd multiply my sublingual dose by .3 I'd always get an intravenous dose that was equipotent.

Last edited:
LaCster, is taking bupe through insufflation, by using a bupe/water solution in a syringe while laying down on your bed slowly dropping in each nostril, really that much more instant than taking a suboxone solution sublingually?

I've been doing it a couple of times that way, and I don't really feel much that much of a more "instant" hit than taking it sublingually. Then again, I usually dose 130-175 micrograms a day because I'm using it for pain, so I'm just using it as a prodrug for norbupe (full agonist) as an adjunct to on of the following: 5g kratom, 20mg hydros, or 70-150g poppy seed tea.

Yes it really is, I feel the sub in 5 mins through nasal, well it depends....

If you crush up a sub pill for more surface area and put it under your tongue, effects come on in around 20 mins or so, but still under the tongue is fucking annoying, it tastes bad, and I feel that if I don't leave it under my tongue for 30 mins then I'm wasting the sub

All this sub talk has me wanting some, time to blow down sub

Oh yah, I have been snorting subs for stleast 6months straight and my nose Is fine.

The trick is to snort no more than 1mg at a time so your nose won't be gunked with filler

^Seconded.

Also to some of the above posters, I don't always go by Wikipedia since basically anybody can add stuff to it, and a lot of information on Wiki is false. But I did notice that a few other sites listed have Suboxone Intranasal B/A to be anywhere from around 50% - 89%. But like laCster said, it feels like more around 60%. I know it is definitely higher than sublingual.

And we don't have the strips in Canada. Health Canada is far behind in a lot of medications compared to the EU & U.S.

Not to get off topic, but it's very hard to add false information to Wikipedia without it being taken down right away. Also most information is cited, so you can check out the scientific article that it was cited from and decide if you think it is accurate. 5 or 6 years ago I would agree with you that it has a lot of false information, but not now.

I think that this is a good topic since a lot of people use Wikipedia for information on drugs, so we can continue this conversation here so we don't derail this thread..

Wiki might be right about 89% bioavailability of buprenorphine, but Suboxone or subutex obviously isn't 100% bupe. The fillers will probably inhibit bupe's BA potential in real life. I've only done bupe once, well, for one day, and tried it first - only a small amount, maybe 0.5-1mg - insufflated. Didn't notice the above effects but I think I took before WDs even took hold (I had only been using H about a week so wasn't worried about precipitated WD). Ended up taking another 5mg sublingually later in the day and, perhaps obviously, felt this more.

How would such a thing even be calculated?

I do know from experience that insufflation hits faster and harder and is probably one of the best ROA's for SUBUTEX (suboxone is very difficult to snort, you have to dissolve it in water and then use it as a nasal spray), short of IV (don't do that) and plugging (I was never able to get that right, but many report it is more effective than intranasal).

But as for BA, I have no clue how to quantify such a thing. The figure I've always heard and "felt" was correct was just under 50% BA intranasal.

Edit: Shit, necrothread necromancy. Sorry. Nice to see the remaining imprint of the our mighty fallen comrade Z-Neg, nevertheless.

Subutex and suboxone both have lower BA's than buprenorphine alone, but intranasal is still better than SL.. 50%~

The only tablets I believe worth any ROA other than oral/anal are the very small HI-Tech genetic subtext (just bupe). They're about 110-mg, so best ratio of filler: active.

These go nicely up the snoz. But I find duration takes a hit, so I do half my dose at two times during the day.

Sniffing powders that are mostly filler, and even these are (about 10% active to filler) likely not healthy long term.

These would likely be the safest to inject with the proper equipment, but I suggest you don't go that path. It's too much damage potential to "fun" ratio, missing would be nasty and some dissolved fillers could precipitate out in blood - i don't know, wouldn't risk it. Oral or up the probiscus is probably as good as anything for those without tolerance, those that can get off on under 3-mg. With a tolerance why try for effects, we're on it for a reason, well most of us are, some of us are... well I am. But i still snort b/c I do get a very slight, fleeting lift. And can use half my dosage, allowing me a huge stockpile for Armageddon.

Be safe, use meds as labeled, you'll have fewer issues long and short term.

^ Intranasal subutex and suboxone have a significantly faster onset and higher bioavailability than oral or sublingual.

First off, 89% is a joke. It's around 50%(done properly) but w/ a lot of variance of course. And even IV buprenorphine takes 15-30 minutes to peak, intranasal an hour.

However, if you simply dissolve your tablet in water, and administer it sublingually, the BA is just as good, if not even better/more consistent. Only real advantage to nasal use, is slightly faster onset, but it's going to take at least an hour anyway, because buprenorphine slowly attaches to receptors, regardless of absorption. Hope this helps.