• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Suicidal Thinking on Anti-Depressants?

re

i was omce on three different types of anti depressents , prozac, cipramil, zoloft , and i found that the more i took the more sleppy i would get , thus i would say , excercise Kicks it in , and blocks the common suicide thoughts if you have the tendencies , try outdoor activites , it helps 30minutes i would say a day keep the blood flowing

I'm currently on paxil (20mg) and have been for a couple of years. I believe it's helped me, but not to the extent where it makes up for what happens to me if I miss a dose or two. I currently also started Wellbutrin, and my Dr. is using that to help get me off the paxil. Apparently he doesn't like it either. No real negative side effects for me. But if I miss a couple of days, it's hell.

What is up with people thinking that Efexor is some sort of nice happy relaxing minor pill to take if you're feeling a bit down???

Efexor is a SNRI (serotonin noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor) so unlike the SSRIs it works on two neurotransmitters.

When taken correctly, it's been shown to have a pretty drastic effect on mood for a lot of people. However, the flip side is that it has a horrific withdrawal profile. I came off Efexor when I hadn't been depressed for 5 months, and I still felt suicidal for a week or so.

As for the 4:1 ratio: That's crap.

If you take a low dose of Efexor- say 75mg a day, you'll have very little effect on noradrenaline. If you take a high dose, for example 300mg/day, then you'll have a slight increase in the inhibition of serotonin reuptake, but the effects upon noradrenaline will be much more drastic.

Well, its been 2 n half years since I was last on Prozac.

I had a shit house year last year. I went home to NZ at the beginning of last year and saw my grandmother who I am very close to. She has dementia and I couldnt handle seeing her the way she is. I came home to Sydney and back to no job. On the verge of breaking down. I pulled myself together to get another as moving back to Sydney's western suburbs to be with family was the last thing I needed. In and out of work all year and trouble with finances it was really rough.

This year has been much much better. I've a good job and are taking courses. but at the back of my mind I truely dont believe it will last after the year I had last.

On wednesday something small happend at work. and I nearly really lost it. I went to the nearest doctors surger and an hour later was leaving with a medical certificate for that day and the next day off work, a referrel to see a psychologist and yes - new prescription for prozac.

Its been a few days, but I dunno I feel weird. Its hard to describe.

sexyanon said:
If AD's weren't thought of as miracle pills, I'm sure suicidal thinking will go down. Why? Because if one is taking these pills and one is not feeling that much better, they'll feel that there's no hope and thus suicidal.
No. It's not always like that. Suicidal tendancies, at least for me, occurred randomly, intermittantly, and with no apparant link to my mood. I felt completely normal, but occasionally thought of suicide. I changed to Effexor-XR (venlafaxine hydrochloride) in October 2003, 300mg once daily, and the suicidal thoughts went away within two weeks. I would say from my own experience that the suicidal tendancies I had while on antidepressants were biological, not psychological... curiously enough, my major depression has been determined through eight years of therapy as being purely biological in nature.

I was on paxil for a week and quit it because me and my parents got in a huge fight and I ended up standing there with a knife to my neck and the only thing that stopped me from slicing myself was the look on my mothers face. She was so scared and he face was saying "please ______ dont do it i love you so much". But I was not in controll, I felt hopeless and worthless and I just wanted to die.

I have been on a variety of anti-depressants for the last year- Vanlafaxine (Effexor) Mirtazone and then finally Aropax (Paroxetine- also known as PAXIL). I sought these medications becasue I was being gripped constantly by fear and anxiety which at rather random moments would blossom into a full fledged panic attack- numb hands, face feet, body tingling, hyperventialtion blah blah blah. Effexor initially gave me hypertension (170/unknown- And I'm only 22 y/old) the Mirtazone, which is alledgedly a 'newer' type on AD combining SSRI action with a strong sedative effect, made me feel like a Zombie. Aropax chilled me out after I overcame the side-effects (which was hellish anxiety- I felt at times I was a microgram away from a full on petit mal seizure). Also I couldn't fuck or sleep, and at times felt some almost hallucionogenic 'vibe' to my outlook. I'm off that shit now, seeing a drug counseller (mainly for help with cannabis addiction) and have begun meditation, use of substances like Kava and Valerian and have been researching some of the practices of buddhism. Let me quote something, verbatim- " Right now you have a mind, and that is all you need to attain happiness" intoned forth by the Dalai Lama, reincarnation of the Buddha of Compassion. I don't trust anti-depressants, I feel they gave me an excuse to not discipline and exercise my mind and overcome my fear through human beings greatest attribute- thought. In the west we think that freedom and discipline cannot go hand in hand, they are almost at complete opposing ends of the spectrum. In the east discipline is freedom. I think its natural to have suicidal thoughts when your sad- we all desire an escape from pain and what more complete escape could there be but death? But I think we should also discuss how when we feel happy, all we want to do is live and experience more. I know this forum is in the 'DARK SIDE', however I feel obliged to mention these things that have helped me. Life is hard at times, but for the love of Shiva, its never all that bad. Discipline your mind, force it away from unhappy, negative thoughts- literally force it away, deny them, attack and kill those nasty thoughts. There's nothing wrong with that- we seem to convince oursleves we are unhappy and really belive it- try the opposite- convince yourself of happiness, really look for those beautiful things in the world and always fight the darkness- eventually, ideally, and most likely the fight won't be a fight- it will be a journey into light. Attack sadness and depression and anxiety not with anger and frustration at your seeming inability to change yourself, but with the knowledge that, as the Dalai Lama said- all the keys to happiness reside in your cranium, in that strange alien spongy mass that houses the complexity of HUMANESS. Happiness comes from within, not without. I realise I have rambled a bit here, please don't edit this as these things are important and helpful to me and I just want to mention some of the things that have helped me beat those demon thoughts. Peace to you all.... :)
ps. Trance music can help, its saved me many times. But each to their own.

Hello. I'm so glad you found something that helps with your anxiety. I love taking Yoga to relax (esp the smell of insence!) Doesn't sound like you need it know so I'd leave well enough alone, but I'm just curious, since I'm going into psychiatry - did a psychiatrist prescribe you these medicines? If you were actually having panic attacks, you should have been given a very short acting benzodiazepam. Anyways, glad you found a way to deal.
As for the topic of the post - not that I claim to be an expert by any means - most of you probably know that SSRIs like Paxil and Prozac take 4-6 weeks to become effective - this is the most dangerous time, because they increase energy long before they increase mood - so some people who may not have contemplated suicide before because of lack of energy, suddenly have the energy, but still the depression. Bad combination.
Some tricks I've learned, but not all docs (esp non-psychiatrists) will do this: there are things that can be given to make the SSRI work faster - low dose Ritalin is one of them (I think just a little excess dopamine is almost always a good thing!). Otherwise Lithium can do it too. Either way, don't give up, not all medicines work for everyone, even in the same class - psychiatry does have principles and 1/2 explanations, but not completely there yet.

^^^^ I was prescrived Xanax as well as Effexor, but got turned off benzo's because of the 'rebound effect'. Unfortunately I feel like shit again nowadays, I'm constantly nervous and twitchy so that kinda contradicts my glowing report above. Well, such is life . . .

If you have generalized anxiety, have you tried a low dose of Klonapin or Valium-they have a much longer 1/2 life, so you shouldn't get such a rebound effect. I haven't read through all of the posts above, so I apologize if I'm repeating information. Good luck to you.

I read/heard somewhere that Michael Hutchence, the lead singer of the Australian band INXS was quoted before his suicide(or in a suicide note) stating
"Whatever you do, don't take antidepressants!"

i took paxil for around 4 months and atempted suicid twice, slit my rists and tryed to od on pills. before i took paxil i rearly had suicidal thoughts, when i was on it i would think about it all day every day, and even now that i have been off it for about 2 years i still have more thoughts about it then before i took that nasty shit

I'm on methylphenidate which works trough it's reuptaking effects of dopamine, serotonin and NE(? i think), it's a slight SSRI.
Doubt about everything, sudden moodswings without apparent reason, suicidal days...
The days I'm not taking rilatin I'm just constantly happy, up, energetic(but not in the twitchy lethargic way), constantly laughing(=> teachers even came asking to me if I smoked weed or did other drugs), talkative. I feel really fucking high on life :) It's what gets me trough life, the thought of the days where I don't take rilatin.

it is important to recognize that methylphenidate does not affect serotnin levels, only dopamine and adrenaline.

i was put on prozac when i came off heroin in about 1991 it took a long time to kick in and whenit did the whole world seemed as if it were a tage ands veryone around me incluindg my self we were all acting all things semmed extra plastic extra false I ahd NO love for single thing and could easily have offed myself but got off prozan intead my Dr admitted the same kids of things nearly adentical had happened before but I recall him aying "I'm taking you off it becuase you are in the 1% of people who feel that way." i was then put on no drugs ( i was well detoxd from smackat that point ) and sent to a shrink whic i made th e most of and ..it was damn good, not claiming I got (or am today) SANE , but hey prozac CAN beevil shit

woops sorry for spun pellings you get the idea ?

world as a stage people as actors allthings (even trees) plastic and "life' was

life worthless

paxil is bad news. I learned that 1st hand from taking it for a few weeks back in the late 90's when I wuz 19. It made things go from bad to worse so i stopped taking it. nowadays the family doctor has to power to prescribe these so called anti depressents to the public. i really dont know what to think about that. it seems as if they are the pushers. numerous times ive been offered paxil, zoloft(which is bad news for me as well. a friend killed herself after being put on that stuff), buspars, and some other shit. this is all because of pain related issues and the stress that comes with them. i find it funny to put someone on paxil due to muscle spasms in your lower back. which is what they did to me. ???? Exercise worked it all right out perfectly. Mos Def not the Pax.

Peace

im 17 and i use valium almost every night, am i happy no ? do i wanna die ? most of the time.

conclusion : Stay away from pharms, and use your anti-dep's