Support Don't Punish

Bluelight.org joins with many organisations around the world on June 26 for Support Don't Punish day.

SDP is a global advocacy campaign calling for drug policies based on health and human rights. It is time to leave behind harmful politics, ideology and prejudice. It is time to prioritise the health and welfare of people who use drugs, and their families and communities. Please visit www.supportdontpunish.org to show your support.

Banderole-1-scaled.jpg

I'm an active member of Don't Punish Pain". Many are angry at the " pill mills "as being the primary cause of opioid hysteria of 2016. Many were tapered down or abruptly taken off opioids that they were stable on for years. Some have had to go on disability and were no longer able to work, some went to the streets for any relief they could find, and some killed themselves out of desperation. The lucky few of us have Dr.'s that will still prescribe but undergo monthly urine drug screens, random pill counts and are treated like criminals at the pharmacy. Some Pharmacists refuse to fill a valid Rx. It's maddening. And the ER? Forget it for pain... it's usually Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Most Dr.s will fire you for medical marijuana.
Most of us understand the enemy is groups like PROP, and the DEA. We're making some headway with legislature allowing Dr.s to prescribe legal, safe and effective opioids without fear of arrest, loss of their license and prison. ( yes, all of those are happening.) It will take decades though to undo the damage of opioid hysteria.
Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

I know about the OC deal where doctors were told that it wasn’t very addictive. My question is this…
How could a doctor, not to mention thousands of doctors, be told that an opioid isn’t really that addictive, and believe it? I’m not a doctor but if a salesman from a big pharm company were to tell me that this new time released opioid isn’t risky, there’s just no way I’d believe it. How could a single, highly educated, doctor believe that?

I know about the OC deal where doctors were told that it wasn’t very addictive. My question is this…
How could a doctor, not to mention thousands of doctors, be told that an opioid isn’t really that addictive, and believe it? I’m not a doctor but if a salesman from a big pharm company were to tell me that this new time released opioid isn’t risky, there’s just no way I’d believe it. How could a single, highly educated, doctor believe that?
Very good question. They sold the idea that it had a low risk of addiction because it was time released. It remained highly popular even after they changed the matrix and it was difficult to crush and dissolve the pill.. lol We all know what happened then. Not to mention the "perks" from the pharmaceutical companies for prescribing oxycontin. Trips, fine restaurant dining, and patient referrals among other things. Ahhh the 90's. What a great time to be alive.
Also, JCAHO, who accredits hospitals, decided that pain was the "5th vital sign", and Dr.s began assessing everyone and their dog for pain and treating it. Hence, the ridiculous and useless 0-10 pain scale that every patient was asked about no matter the reason for their office or hospital visit. Dr.s and hospitals were often accredited using patient satisfaction scores. Who gave the best scores?? Those who left with Rx's for whatever ailed them usually an opiate and a benzo.
What's truly tragic is legitimate pain is not treated or severely undertreated. I am aware of several hospice patients who were weeks or days away from dying whose Dr didn't "feel comfortable" giving pain and anxiety meds, or the families were terrified that Dad would become addicted and therefore refused to give permission to medicate Dad who was clearly suffering.

They fixed the speak-easy doctor shopping thing when they created the real-time prescription monitoring thing. Why they felt the need to keep going making it more and more strict is where the mistake was made. It’s really sad. How doctors could be so gullible, and now they are extremely accurate at spotting drug seeking behavior. It’s all bullshit.

Well, the docs think EVERYBODY is drug seeking. PDMP is useful to weed out dr shopping etc. They also consider patients who ask for a specific drug as seekers which as a retired ER nurse annoyed me at times. I mean, sickle cell anemia is a chronic and exquisitely painful condition and when they come in in a crisis you better listen to them...he's had it for 30 years...he knows dilaudid is more effective than morphine. But there are the assholes who will give morphine in miniscule amounts IV or toredol. I've went over docs heads for this bs...nobody deserves to suffer.