• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery support system during covid

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
what are sober people doing. i desperately need to walk into aa. people talk to you. you get invited for coffee, lunch, dinner etc before and after meetings. it creates structure and social support.

now meetings are online. the fuck does that do. aa is hardly about the meetings and steps. at least not for me and i know many others. ive gone to aa for years and don’t know step one. it’s about support. how can you get that from a zoom session.

what are you doing?

It’s tough for sure, I’ll definitely be super anti social for a long time after this even though I was like that before anyway.

I’m a runner and into water sports so I take my son and do those things. Have skype type group meetings with family where we do quizzes. I message my friends to check in on them and what not. Other than that I’ve learned how to crochet to pass the time and I’m doing a british sign language course. I could count on one hand the amount of people I’ve spoken to face to face outside of my family since this all started.

I guess just having a daily routine yourself to stick to is worth it. Get up at a certain time, get outside for some fresh air and what not. Schedule things for yourself to have the structure if you get me.

A.A. should have zoom meetings but I’m sure they have WhatsApp groups too maybe? For when you’re struggling to use and message to see who’s able to talk. I know they do here in Ireland.

what are sober people doing. i desperately need to walk into aa. people talk to you. you get invited for coffee, lunch, dinner etc before and after meetings. it creates structure and social support.

now meetings are online. the fuck does that do. aa is hardly about the meetings and steps. at least not for me and i know many others. ive gone to aa for years and don’t know step one. it’s about support. how can you get that from a zoom session.

what are you doing?
I am never sober I'm like to my dealer don't ever ever let me down or let me sober up though.

seriously though mind over matter most of it is in your head that's what one clever 20 year junkie told me and he's right you only crave it cus you know you can't get some if you had some but didn't use of pretend to yourself you have some but decide d not to use it you will be fine if you have that presence of mind

I've definitely been more active on forums for that social support aspect with the pandemic. Zoom definitely was no replacement for meetings - and I 100% agree with you they are all about the support system.

its shitty but i just don't think there is an online substitute for real meetings. i've mostly dropped out of NA because the one meeting that was really small and intimate, so i liked, has been hijacked by people who never come in person, even thoguh we've struggled for numbers so bad we were on the verge of closing. most of them share then drop out, so they literally can't even be arsed to listen to what others have to say.

i've been lucky that my sister came up and we were at my parents as a family for the first 2 months, and now i'm at mine with my sorta SO. if you're on your own its gotta be hard. do you have contacts you get on with from your meetings who you can skype with or maybe even meet up for a walk or something with?