• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Teeth!

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Teeth oh fucking teeth, how I hate you...!

It would seem that my several year long drug addiction and abuse of opiates and stimulants has left me with quite fucked teeth.

I am clean now, and have been for well over 2 years now, but am still paying the physical price for those years of fuckedness. My dentist thinks that a combination of the cotton mouth induced by opiates and stimulants, and the reduction in saliva from using antihistamines concurrently, as well as smoking tobacco and injecting drugs have caused me t have multiple-tooth decay. He also claimed that my vegan diet has contributed, buy changing the pH of my mouth and through eating foods that require less chewing. I don't know about that but...

I had my teeth whitened, so at least they look nice, but I am looking at over 10 fillings, with the possibility for some of those to actually be root canals. :(

Obviously I can't change that situation, but can help prevent it from reoccurring. I brush my teeth twice a day and always have, I floss daily and use mouthwash. What other things can I do to protect my teeth? Looking for both dietary, supplementary and mechanical tips ;)

Vitamin D... Boron? Oral probiotics. Xylitol if you can tolerate it (stimulates saliva).

I have horrible teeth as well. I tried getting repairs but I don't want more mercury in my mouth. The composite fillings aren't very strong... But have advantages in that they have an actual bond with the tooth. One of mine was really close to needing a root canal... And I think it needs one now. So much money...

What I really want is to just get my back teeth ripped out and then get implants. Perhaps a one root implant for two teeth to keep it somewhat affordable. Just need to go to the dental school.

Calcium supplements are relatively useless, but you should definitely take vitamin D and consume foods that are high in calcium. The highest I know of is roasted sesame seeds, you can eat them by the handful every day.

Mouthwash is usually alcohol based and dries out the gums, contributing to dry socket and more cavities. It's the saliva that protects the teeth because it has natural inhibitors of bacteria in it.

Brush with plain water, floss thoroughly, then rinse with 3% hydrogen peroxide (check the ingredients on the bottle to make sure there's no acids added, which is what some companies do to prevent people from using it as mouthwash), and then brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste and rinse thoroughly. Peroxide is superior to anything else for disinfecting and healing the mouth. Along with brushing and flossing, peroxide kills gingivitis like nobody's business.

Then chew some raw kale into a bolus (a little ball), one for the left and right side of both the upper and lower teeth. Pack it in there. Leave it overnight, and spit it out in the morning. When you first put it in, a lot of saliva will be produced. Just swish that around as much as possible (like 20 mins), but eventually swallow. I know sleeping overnight with it sounds gross, but in the morning your teeth will be hard and mineralized. Repeat nightly for as long as you want.

Along with vitamin D and a diet rich in minerals, I've completely repaired minor cavities this way.

Never heard of the kale trick for remineralization... Sounds interesting. I need to incorporate peroxide daily. I did for a few days, and am not sure why I stopped. Thanks for that.

what23 said:
So much money...

Yeah, I know right. I'm considering getting all my teeth capped at some point which will cost an arm and a leg; but I feel its worth it; poor oral health is linked to many other illnesses, not the least of which is coronary blockage and plaque build up with arteries.

I will happily spend the $10,000 it will require if it means that my face doesn't ache any longer...!

Calcium supplements are relatively useless, but you should definitely take vitamin D and consume foods that are high in calcium. The highest I know of is roasted sesame seeds, you can eat them by the handful every day.

Mouthwash is usually alcohol based and dries out the gums, contributing to dry socket and more cavities. It's the saliva that protects the teeth because it has natural inhibitors of bacteria in it.

Brush with plain water, floss thoroughly, then rinse with 3% hydrogen peroxide (check the ingredients on the bottle to make sure there's no acids added, which is what some companies do to prevent people from using it as mouthwash), and then brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste and rinse thoroughly. Peroxide is superior to anything else for disinfecting and healing the mouth. Along with brushing and flossing, peroxide kills gingivitis like nobody's business.

Then chew some raw kale into a bolus (a little ball), one for the left and right side of both the upper and lower teeth. Pack it in there. Leave it overnight, and spit it out in the morning. When you first put it in, a lot of saliva will be produced. Just swish that around as much as possible (like 20 mins), but eventually swallow. I know sleeping overnight with it sounds gross, but in the morning your teeth will be hard and mineralized. Repeat nightly for as long as you want.

Along with vitamin D and a diet rich in minerals, I've completely repaired minor cavities this way.

Wow, thanks Foreigner. Some good info there. :)

Funny what you say about mouthwash; why is this stuff said to promote oral health? My dentist actually mentioned that mouthwash (alcohol based at least) should only be used every second day as it can erode tooth-enamel... I just feel that it cleans my entire mouth, and I ensure that I rinse it thoroughly after use...

I'm going to try that kale trick though. I'd love to find out how that works....My concern is keeping it in overnight; I'd be worried that I might swallow it- I'm ridiculously active in my sleep ;) Also worried that it might start to decompose overnight...

Will try using peroxide too. Thanks again :)

Teeth oh fucking teeth, how I hate you...!

It would seem that my several year long drug addiction and abuse of opiates and stimulants has left me with quite fucked teeth.

I am clean now, and have been for well over 2 years now, but am still paying the physical price for those years of fuckedness. My dentist thinks that a combination of the cotton mouth induced by opiates and stimulants, and the reduction in saliva from using antihistamines concurrently, as well as smoking tobacco and injecting drugs have caused me t have multiple-tooth decay. He also claimed that my vegan diet has contributed, buy changing the pH of my mouth and through eating foods that require less chewing. I don't know about that but...

I had my teeth whitened, so at least they look nice, but I am looking at over 10 fillings, with the possibility for some of those to actually be root canals. :(

Obviously I can't change that situation, but can help prevent it from reoccurring. I brush my teeth twice a day and always have, I floss daily and use mouthwash. What other things can I do to protect my teeth? Looking for both dietary, supplementary and mechanical tips ;)

Be careful about brushing your teeth. If you are not producing enough saliva, you should do it quite gently. Gum retraction is one of the side effects of long time users and you can only prevent it from getting worse.

You have to use these non-alcohol mouthwash before sleeping plus using 'chiclets' sugar free.

my teeth are fucked too
but so many people have shitty mouths that it's okay
we don't all have to be supermodels, as long as our mouths aren't so unhealthy that it's affecting our general wellbeing otherwise

Keep telling yourself that but a great smile opens more doors than a mouth full of yellow tombstones

For mouthwash use either Biotene dry mouth or ACT dry mouth.

ACT seems to work just as good but is about $3 cheaper for the large bottle.

chew some raw kale into a bolus (a little ball), one for the left and right side of both the upper and lower teeth. Pack it in there. Leave it overnight, and spit it out in the morning. When you first put it in, a lot of saliva will be produced. Just swish that around as much as possible (like 20 mins), but eventually swallow. I know sleeping overnight with it sounds gross, but in the morning your teeth will be hard and mineralized. Repeat nightly for as long as you want.

That is fascinating. The idea stuck with me since I read this post, I don't know, like a week ago. Kale, Collard and Mustard greens make up most of what I have left in my garden now since the nights have been getting bellow freezing. Forgive my skepticism but this really works? I did a quick Google search today thinking of trying it and the only result that came up on the topic is right here in bluelight. Other sites mention using raw kale in a smoothy to benefit from the nutrients internally, but I didn't see this method mentioned.

Last edited:
Have you tried coconut oil pulling?

Keep telling yourself that but a great smile opens more doors than a mouth full of yellow tombstones
You have fancy doors with smile sensors in Oz? Here we just push or pull, but that would be cool to smile at a door and have it open?

That is fascinating. The idea stuck with me since I read this post, I don't know, like a week ago. Kale, Collard and Mustard greens make up most of what I have left in my garden now since the nights have been getting bellow freezing. Forgive my skepticism but this really works? I did a quick Google search today thinking of trying it and the only result that came up on the topic is right here in bluelight. Other sites mention using raw kale in a smoothy to benefit from the nutrients internally, but I didn't see this method mentioned.

Google no longer yields anything useful about herbal medicine. The top sites are either natural industry sites which are rabid dogs, or "scientific" sites saying they do nothing.

Don't use mustard greens or anything else, just use kale and spinach.

Do the whole procedure I mentioned and find out for yourself. Worst that can happen is that it doesn't work.

All I can say is, I'm in the same position with you. I've always had cavities. I didn't go to the dentist for a couple years because I didn't have an insurance. Finally got insurance and went to the dentist and I had 11 cavities. Got them all filled over the course of a couple months. Went back for the checkup six months after my original appointment. Two more cavities and a chipped tooth. Oh I forgot, somewhere along the line, I ended up with another chipped tooth from eating an almond.

I brush my teeth three times a day, I floss twice a day, and I'm also vegetarian/mostly vegan (not 100% but I try hard)

I seriously don't know what else to do anymore.

Everytime I go to the dentist, it's the same thing.
- floss your teeth
- don't drink pop/soda
- don't have hard candies

I've been doing all those things for YEARS and it doesn't seem to help.

Some people just have really bad teeth I think :(

2 years ago i was into the 5fth year of my heroin addiction,i was in my early 20s and my teeth looked like i was a 50year old multi drug user that used heavily
for decades.
I was(and still am)only snorting the H,with the occasional smoke/chase(like 4-5 times a year) but except some benzo abuse on the side i didnt really do anything crazy to do that much damage,but my teeth really didnt agree to that.

Right before i got them fixed i was left with like 4-5 decent upper teeth(the rest were all half-broken,brown and whatever) and like 90% of my down teeth needed fillings/root exctractions etc).

The whole fixing procedure was hell and a regular filling was spring break,considering all the things that had to be done with the broken ones.
(Apparently my habit of letting the benzos dissolve in my mouth instead of directly swallowing was a big factor in the total damage).

What the doctors told me(and they were really top notch doctors which i wouldnt be able to pay if one of them wasnt related to me and offered me a huge discount ) was that the only real way to correctly clean ones teeth is to use those TINY little brushes that go inbetween the teeth.
Using just a toothbrush is only half the job done as the real source of evil lies in the food/liquid remains between the teeth that no toothbrush is capable
of cleaning.

Im living in Europe so i dont know any US brands to recommend but most pharmacies/drug stores and even some super markets or 7-11 should have them.
They come in different sizes so you should pick one that can tightly fit inbetween your teeth but doesnt hurt(a littly stingy feeling or some blood is totally normal in the beginning).
Using that after your regular toothbrush should definately guarantee better long term oral hygiene and give you a nice feeling of total mouth "cleanness".

I hope OP and everybody who suffers the same are able to fix their teeth while they are still in the need-fillings stage,before they get to the you need-to surgically remove 4 broken-rotten-infected teeth-simutaneously stage.

PS.Sorry for any mistakes,english is not my mother language

Fuck this fucking sucks, I had another tooth (far back molar) apparently spontaneously fracture today. I didn't really do anything, I had eaten an apple and was chewing gum and felt a hard little piece of fucking tooth amidst gum! This quite literally shattered me. :( I think I'll have to spend thousands again on root canal or implant and I'm fucking tired of spending that sort of cash.

What sort of foods should I eat which might strenghten my teeth and prevent this from happenning? Could a vegan diet be contributing? I supplement the fuck outta myself so shouldn't be deficient..

This thread gives me chills.

I haven't visited the dentist in over 6 years, and im absolutely terrified to do so. I was traumatized as a child and it's a struggle to convince myself to go.. but my teeth are not doing so well, i think been half-english has pre-disposed me to fucked teeth. There all perfectly in alignment except for one, but my gums are bleeding almost everytime i brush my teeth.. the plaque buildup behind my bottom teeth has solidified so much that its become an extension of the teeth.. i've chipped one tooth and i've had all my wisdom teeth pulled out. There also stained yellow from tea and past cigarette use..

I think the enamel on one of the top molars has been partially stripped and exposed a nerve because if i touch it with my nail, it sends a super sharp pain through my gums. This makes me more afraid just to get a scale and clean from the dentist..

I wish i could just pay them an advance in cash to knock me unconscious with an anaesthetic.