• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2015/2016 NFL Thread v. yfw da jest win da superb owl

what was the press conference about? i can't find anything on web (but i did not look very hard).

alasdair

2015 All Shimazu Team (random guys I think will have big years under the radar)

QB - Nick Foles
QB - Derek Carr
RB - Bryce Brown
RB - Ameer Abdullah
WR - Jeremy Maclin
WR - Andre Johnson
WR - Nelson Agholar
TE - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins
TE - Zach Ertz
Defense/Special Teams - Eagles

i agree on many of these - carr and sefarian-jenkins particularly.

ertz? i don't think so. celek seems to be the guy right now because of his blocking. i like ertz but i don't think he'll get the chances he needs to make an impact.

alasdair

what was the press conference about? i can't find anything on web (but i did not look very hard).

alasdair

Nothing really. I think Rex just like talk to the cameras. They made some cuts but it was nobody important or shocking.

You should double or nothing this season with the loser getting a tattoo

Nah, he'll just come up with another butthurt excuse like:"You were supposed to put it on your right arm, not your left! You know my BFF Tom is right handed, why are you such a sore loser! + typical ad nauseam BS" :\

Was pleasantly surprised to see Jo-Lonn Dunbar cut from the Rams - he's been serviceable, but we know exactly where his ceiling is. Better to go with Ayers and his higher potential. Not at all surprised that Brandon Washington and Barrett Jones were cut - Washington looked abysmal during the preseason, and Jones couldn't even beat out Tim Barnes for a backup spot. Most surprised that Trey Watts was cut - they might re-sign him after his four-game suspension. Also surprised and worried that we only have four cornerbacks on the roster right now - I'd be shocked if we went into the opener with only four. EDIT: Been reading that the Rams will probably go with a lot of three-safety packages and have Rodney McLeod play some snaps as a nickel corner.

Last edited:
Was pleasantly surprised to see Jo-Lonn Dunbar cut from the Rams - he's been serviceable, but we know exactly where his ceiling is. Better to go with Ayers and his higher potential. Not at all surprised that Brandon Washington and Barrett Jones were cut - Washington looked abysmal during the preseason, and Jones couldn't even beat out Tim Barnes for a backup spot. Most surprised that Trey Watts was cut - they might re-sign him after his four-game suspension. Also surprised and worried that we only have four cornerbacks on the roster right now - I'd be shocked if we went into the opener with only four. EDIT: Been reading that the Rams will probably go with a lot of three-safety packages and have Rodney McLeod play some snaps as a nickel corner.

I wonder if Jones can play any other line positions besides Center. I'm pretty sure the Bills will be scouring the cut sheets looking for some solid Oline depth. Our starting guys are looking great but if any of them goes down it won't be good.

I was glad to hear the Bills cut Matt Cassel. Not only does it save us $4.1m in cap space to make some more moves, but apparently they think EJ can still be developed now that he has some decent coaches so he's going to sit behind Tyrod. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start some games this year. QBs like Tyrod have a tendency to get hurt.

Steelers' season/schedule just keeps getting tougher...:|

The Steelers placed Pouncey on short-term injured reserve, officially sidelining him for the first six weeks of the NFL season. After that, he can join the team for practices but can't play in a game until eight weeks have elapsed. In Week 9, the Steelers host the Raiders on Nov. 8.
espn

Yeah that was pretty scathing. Actually suprised ESPN would detail so much of it, but fuck, Brady and Deflategate is like baby toys compared to the shit Belichick pulled.

Wasn't the issue that they filmed from un-allowed areas(side line), not that they filmed to begin with? If that's true... lame accusation.

Although, the stealing of the 20 first plays from the locker rooms and interfering with radio transmission are bitch moves.

The article says that the NFL already had policy in place stating filming a teams signals was against the rules. I think filming from unauthorized places that was an issue too, though.

what a surprise - goodell is butt-hurt and then this all starts to appear.

the commish:

dawsoncryings.png

roll on thursday night!

alasdair

The article says that the NFL already had policy in place stating filming a teams signals was against the rules. I think filming from unauthorized places that was an issue too, though.
Nah, I was right. This is from wiki:
Videotaping opposing coaches is not illegal in the NFL but there are designated areas allowed by the league to do such taping. The Patriots were videotaping the Jets' coaches from their own sideline which is not allowed.
If that's the issue at the heart of this, where they were filming from not what they were filming, it's not a very big deal.

----------

This isn't so much a story or smearing of the Patriots, but rather another example of Goodell's utter failure at his job. Goodell had the evidence quickly destroyed, there's word that he had coaches/owners speak out that it wasn't a big deal, and he wrapped the whole investigation up in just a few days. It's been said that he did that because Kraft was a major influence in getting him his job. After all of that, the other owners were obviously pissed, so he tried to make it up to them by coming down on deflategate, and well, that blew up in his face. Whoever is behind this story, I don't frankly think it's an organic ESPN piece, is trying to put the last nails in Goodell's coffin.

Why would the NFL issue a statement saying videotaping from the sidelines of coaches signals is prohibited and my would the Pats try to use the excuse they were unaware taping of signals was illegal if it wasnt written somewhere? The where seems much less important than the what.

wiki isn't really a good source

i'm too lazy to look through the official NFL rules tho

Ive been looking and it doesnt seem it was forbidden outrightly. It is a bit murky though. To me it seems the Pats took it to a different level but maybe only because they were caught. Stealing signs is as old as sports themselves but the systematic nature of the whole Spygate thing is not the same as figuring them out on game day.

The Pats had a whole system, with personnel specifically filming and hiding the fact, others analyzing the video, another sending in the plays during the games, etc. Everything I've read said that it was illegal from the sidelines, but not from other areas.

The Pats never said that they thought it wasn't illegal. In fact they tried to hide that they were filming and had lines to give to security saying they were filming for other reasons, implying they knew filming from the sidelines wasn't allowed. Belichick's excuse was along the lines of "i misinterpreted the rules and didn't know that it was illegal to use the info in a live game." Anyway, if it's allowed from one place, why not another? And, before filming plenty of teams simply had specific people watching and writing down signals, filming just made it more accurate/efficient. Also, they were just as good if not better after spygate and after the NFL put radio in a defense helmet. But then again why would they spend that much effort for 40+ games to film and analyze? IMO, it's similar to deflategate, they found a way to exploit the system and did. Other teams did both as well, the Patriots were just better at it.

I still think it's a piece about Goodell, overall, like I said in my previous post.

https://sites.google.com/site/hardboiled33/andersonmemo

This was the memo sent out in 2006. It seems to imply it was illegal, but even today there is not anything in the official NFL rulebook about videotaping but someplaces, including the ESPN article say it was int the operations manual. I couldn't find it, though. And as you can see from the link, many coaches, players and observers thought this shit was all over the NFL.

But I agree the piece is as much about Goddell as the Pats. To be honest though, is he really all that worse than other commissioners in other sports? Baseball basically allowed steroid use for the sake of viewership and have a long history of labor strife. They even cancelled the WS at one point and Selig's handling of the All-Star game that lead to the game deciding the WS home field advantage was ludicrous. Hell, the first commish wouldn't allow blacks to play. And The NBA under Stern had 4 lockouts and he tried to enforce silly things like dress codes to overcome the perceived thuggishness of the league. Not as familiar with hockey but know their recent history isnt very rosy either.

It all comes down to money. Every issue I stated in one way or another was a financial decision. Goddell and his people may be morons with crisis management and PR, but the league is rolling in cash. All this for the good of the game shit is nonsense as long as those TV deals and other revenue streams keep coming in under any commissioner.