http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_effects.shtml

What it looks like incase you may come across it-
http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_images.shtml

Datura FAQ-
http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_faq.shtml

Datura Experiences-
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Datura.shtml

[original post:]

I sometimes use a plant known as Brugmansia, commonly referred to as Datura, though it is no longer known to be of that family.
What i am curious to know is, has anyone taken (not at the same time either) all three of these plants Deadly Nightshade, Datura and Brugmansia, if so, could they tell me any differences in the effects of these plants. As i have heard of many unpleasant experiences on datura though i could see how people would find it unpleasant if it is the same as Brugmansia,but im wondering if it is just that maybe the Datura species contain other alkaloids which are more poisonous than that of Brugmansia...

btw, this plant is legal and grows everywhere throughout Melb suburbs and i imagine right accross Aus and other countries. However, its legal status does not mean that it is a drug to be taken lightly. 'friends' have used prob every you could name and will testify this to be the strongest substance around. It can be extremely dangerous, not so much in toxicity, but your actions under the influence is where the danger lies. This is not a recreational drug and should not be used without a trusted "sitter". However, it is also noteworthy that i have never had an unpleasant experience on this, though, keep in mind, I happen to enjoy 48+hours of hulicinations and virtual amnesia 8(

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if 'strongest' is the right way to describe it, but the effects are completely transparent, as in you don't realise you are on a drug and therefore completely believe your delerium.

If taken in large dose's, beleive me, you know your on the drug, for the first 3 hours, its like taking 100tabs of acid, its only after this wears off that the delerium kicks in and you think your down then the fun begins...
However, no-ones answered the question yet... Is Datura different to Brugmansia.. Im guessing not.. But would be good to get some feedback from someone who has done both. I've heard Brugmansia is ment to be a lot more visual. (Maybe you only experience the "100 tabs of acid" syndrome on Brugmansia not datura ??)

bruggies have a rep that they have more scop than atrop & hyosc... but i suspect that one would have to search the lit (or do some lab quant. anal.) to get the full scoop on the scop...

i don't think there is a difference between the two...I have taken dartura once and a tree style once as well...I forget which type erowid said it was,,,but I had the same effect..and to correct you on saying that in large doses it is crazy strong.
It is crazy strong at a fration of what your thinking. Its nothing like acid and nothing like anything you have ever tried. Most people stories end with them in jail or in the hospital,,I have friends that watched me and helped me through it ..but I made tea with mine and drank a shot...thought I wasn't feeling anything, made a second and the rest is history. I have reported my tale a few times on here to people looking to try lady Dartura.

I don't tell people not too, I just warn..I did it. And it expanded my mind,i saw things I might never of seen..but I am also not the same...I know what it's like to be there...were you have not control..and you don't know you don't have control...if this is your wish...to see the unseen..be careful , Shamens(sp?) would eat one or two seeds..and thats it..go slow and be ready for the ride.

There are alot of plants in this family, and alot real close to the family I'm sure. just research erowid, and be safe ......

Chicken

Haha. Im not lying you know, high doses of Brugmansia/ Angels Trumpet, the plant i use definately causes acid-like visuals, not quite like the patterns you get with acid. But very intense visuals none-the-less. Normally if i take this dosage, after the intense visuals i go into the "daze" for about two days. Maybe you don't get these intense visuals with the other plants ??
btw: I've seen documentaries where the shamans eat very large doses and lie on their back convulsing and frothing at the mouth for a few hours, then 'wake-up' to share their visions.

i wasn't saying your lieing about the dose..just saying that you only need a slight dose of Dartura to way out do Lsd..I find there is a ego-loss and complete loss of real and not real...you don't even know when your coming out or going into phases ....high doses normally end up with someone in the hospital..unless you have a few babysitters..

Chicken

Datura/Jimson Weed

It grows around here, and I've been wondering if I should try it. The stuff on the net is kinda iffy at best, and I was wondering if anyone on the board had any advice.

Yeah, I've heard its weird, but conflicting reports on whether it is a good weird or bad weird.

wrong, the original poster is correct...

jimson weed is Datura stramonium.

if you are going to try datura, i would encourage you to learn EVERYTHING YOU CAN about it. even then it's unlikely you will be prepared for what you experience. datura is a deleriant, not a hallucinogen. it makes you see and experience things which do not occur. you lose touch with reality. this is a DANGEROUS DRUG!

Well it's one against one. The only time I've heard "Jimson weed" was in reference to salvia d.

Enlighten us BL. What's Jimson weed?

jw is not sd. first contains alks: scop etc which are definite deleriants, as well as others whose mech of action is not known; enjoy your trip to the hospital, jail or both.

latter contains salvinorin A, - the longest psychoactive molecule known afaik, and per/u, mayhap the strongest.

MaliceNwunderland said:
Well it's one against one. The only time I've heard "Jimson weed" was in reference to salvia d.

Enlighten us BL. What's Jimson weed?

heres an article entitled "Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium) Poisoning"
http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_info5.shtml
"Many names have been given to this plant including: Jimson Weed, Locoweed, Angel's Trumpet, Thorn Apple, Devil's Trumpet, Mad Apple, Stink Weed, Sacred Datura, Green Dragon, and Devil's Trumpet".. not seeing salvia on there ;)

oh and on topic, i'd avoid datura.. most trip reports end with the police or the hospital

8o

Last edited:
i have posted my story in a few posts...please look up others , most end in a hospital trip or jail..mine did not but I had alot of friends looking after me..I wouldn't recemend it to anybody who doesn't want a full on top level trip which puts you through delirium and back without you knowing it. I wouldn't say that I wouldn't do it again in another life but I sure won't in this one again..but it did help me see things from a different light. You can say you have been there..you have seen her..but at risk is your sanity...the wall between real and not..be safe, research and gather a good group of friend who know how to take care of a person who is out of their mind,(without calling the cops) and perpare for a ride that will change you forever..

be safe if you do take some..

Chicken

frizzantik said:
heres an article entitled "Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium) Poisoning"
http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_info5.shtml
"Many names have been given to this plant including: Jimson Weed, Locoweed, Angel's Trumpet, Thorn Apple, Devil's Trumpet, Mad Apple, Stink Weed, Sacred Datura, Green Dragon, and Devil's Trumpet".. not seeing salvia on there ;)

Well what I was saying was that I thought Jimson weed was slang for salvia not datura. I know now that jimson weed refers to datura. I still consider "Jimson weed" to be slang and yes the only time I've heard the term was before some dude whipped out a bag of salvia. I consider myself to be only 99.9999998% wrong.

So there, I guess.
*pouts*

Datura stramonium
http://users.lycaeum.org/~crzkieri/home.html
jamestown weed... settlers at jamestown VA colony (founded 1609) didn't ask the local indians about what was good to eat & what was not so good; they had a rotating "test crew" to check out local plants for safety by ingestion... well, one day the test crew had angelflower salad... & when they finally came down (about a week later) it was decided that maybe the whole town had better avoid eatin' that particluar plant, hehheh... in writings from that era, it was described as "the greatest cooler in the world"...
twain's huck finn knew about jimpson weed...
there are other solanaceous genera with similar alkaloids: Hyoscymous, Atropa, Brugmansia, etc.
possibly useful as antidote to nerve gas (& insecticide) poisoning; has been used for inducing sleep, relieving pain, calming upset stomach, relieving allergy symptoms, treating seasickness, etc... a tiny amount can strengthen cannabis, opium, & many psychedelics (often added to sanpedro or ayahuasca beverages)...
but a bit too much, and most people become "dazed and confused" at best... & visually impaired, hospitalized, jailed, or toe-tagged at worst...

Last edited:
I took some seeds (Don't remember how many now, I was high at the time) and I just walked around hallucinating crazy things, like people cooking shrimp and giving them to me, when in fact I was eating bark off trees, and I started talking to myself in the mirror, at one point getting kinda mad at myself. It was pretty cool, and lasted about 7 hours. I feel somewhat woozy today, but not too bad. I just took an Ibuprofen and everything is A-OK.