Probably...the more Naptha you use...up to a point...means less product left in the thin layer you won't be readily able to pull off the top of your aqueous layer.
The higher your DMT to NPS ratio the more DMT you lose or leave behind every time you spill a little or leave a little behind.
So it will be OK to add MORE naphtha to the mix, even though I'd have had the zippo fluid in there already for about 24 hours? And just to make sure my steps are correct, would a proper extraction be as follows?
- Add naphtha to lye/water/mhrb solution, let sit for about a day.
-"Rotate" jar for about a minute and let settle.
- Use a sep. funnel to pull the top naphtha layer from the "mother brew", add to a 4oz jar.
- Rotate jar again for a minute, let settle.
- Use sep. funnel to again pull more naphtha from top, adding the pull to a NEW 4oz jar
- Repeat 2 more times until there are 4 total jars with naphtha extract
- Freeze all 4 of the 4oz naphtha jars overnight [point a]
- In morning, pour contents of each jar through 4 standard paper coffee filters
- Take the filtered residue from the coffee filters and allow it to dry with minimal air-flow hitting the filtered residue
- Add all filtered residue to a new coffee filter, and run freezer-temperature ammonia over the residue [point b]
- Rinse [point c]
A. After pulling the 4 jars of Naphtha, what should I do with the original "mother brew"(dark black/brown liquid)?
B & C. I read that an ammonia wash isnt the best solution. Could someone explain to me the best alternatives to the ammonia wash?
C. Still a bit confused on the whole rinsing phase. Could someone elaborate for me?