• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

The insane Canadian renaming of Cannabis strains

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Advertising is strict, very strict. we’ve ended up with a lot of mono or limited colour packaging with single or limited colour labelling. I don’t care about the labelling (gee, I’d even buy the stuff in a baggie) but one disturbing tidbit I’ve noticed is the naming; we are changing the well known names of strains (with known genetics) and selling them to new consumers, who might never know that (Donegal is Green Cush is Green Crack). Names of lakes, mountains, glaciers, people (Justin Trudope), birds, animals, fish, etc. It would have been nice to know that Rolling Skies was Blue Dream or that Jumping Jack was Jack Haze. We are picking names st random, it seems.

uuvaIrll.jpg

And I would have effing appreciated knowing that one strain shown above was Afghan Kush when it was being sold as something else.

Tom

They (the government? Retailers?) are trying to destigmatize cannabis, and it seems like we Canadians aren't doing a good job at that. Every single store is the same; soulless, far to brightly lit and lots of chrome, white and muted soft brown wood paneling. Since the Start of covid I haven't set foot in a rec store; just used courier service.

But Balmoral - would have been nice to know it is Exodus Cheese/UK Cheese.

The name 'crack' can not be used in advertising or labelling. Don't know whether to laugh, cry - or wonder who it's supposed to be protecting.

Tom

Advertising is strict, very strict. we’ve ended up with a lot of mono or limited colour packaging with single or limited colour labelling. I don’t care about the labelling (gee, I’d even buy the stuff in a baggie) but one disturbing tidbit I’ve noticed is the naming; we are changing the well known names of strains (with known genetics) and selling them to new consumers, who might never know that (Donegal is Green Cush is Green Crack). Names of lakes, mountains, glaciers, people (Justin Trudope), birds, animals, fish, etc. It would have been nice to know that Rolling Skies was Blue Dream or that Jumping Jack was Jack Haze. We are picking names st random, it seems.

uuvaIrll.jpg

And I would have effing appreciated knowing that one strain shown above was Afghan Kush when it was being sold as something else.

Tom
Meh, the rec shit in Ontario is mostly low-test junk anyway. I wasn't impressed at all with the Donegal/Green Cush or the Highlands/Afghan Kush.

exodus was old school rave in uk back in the day

cheese reeks and kocks u right out

Green Crack even caused a brief controversy here maybe only for like 2 seconds way back in the day when it first blew up

but still. That's all I have to contribute.

The government sponsored weed has gotten insanely good over the last year or two, if you know where to look. There's a place called Value Buds near me, sells ounces for like 70-110 and it's dank as fuck. Their craft cannabis is like $10/g and is better than anything you can buy online at the illegal places. A lot of my friends still refuse to buy from legit stores because they went to one or two shitty overpriced places like 4 years ago and assume it's all trash.

But yea the name changes are quite tragic, started happening before the legal stores came around though, the illegal mail order/delivery places also typically don't care about the names and will name it whatever they think will sell best.

@Thomas Davie that's one of the best cannabis selections I've ever seen. I could identify memories of so many various buds I've had based on that pic - I can also taste and imagine each of those strains individually just by that one pic. Wow.

I'm from Cali and been to a few cannabis cups and seen my fair share of top shelf weed

I buy from a guy that was a grower for the medical industry in BC long before legalization . He now has his own indoor set up and some of the best i have smoked. He must know where he gets his seeds because if he has death bubba it's actually death bubba.
Our government messed up legalization big time here in Ontario. They expect us to buy sub par god knows what strain for a premium price sp of course the black market is thriving.

I buy from a guy that was a grower for the medical industry in BC long before legalization . He now has his own indoor set up and some of the best i have smoked. He must know where he gets his seeds because if he has death bubba it's actually death bubba.
Our government messed up legalization big time here in Ontario. They expect us to buy sub par god knows what strain for a premium price sp of course the black market is thriving.
The pricing is completely whacky. I have NEVER seen a supply chain were the retailer can routinely sell a product for cheaper than the grower/producer. For example, one of the rec stores where I live has 10% off all vapes every Sunday. I can buy HEXO's 0.5g vape carts from them for $7 cheaper than buying them directly from HEXO's medical menu. EVEN OCS regular price is cheaper than HEXO.
And the medical supply is a joke. A number of them have what's called "compassion pricing" ranging from 15% to 30% off. But their prices are about 15% to 30% higher than the rec market anyway and the dried flower is pretty much the same low-test bunk as the rec market. Plus you have to wait for the mail to deliver it in 3 to 5 to however many days.
The govt should'a just copied the distribution model of the LCBO and created an MCBO and just sold it themselves instead of being both a supplier AND a competitor to the rec shops.

@SmokinBuddha I started with the MMAR and then MMPR/ACMPR; and at first there were a handful, perhaps 3 companies, so they sold it to us at whatever price they wanted and we paid for it,to have a regulated supply of medicine. And then many more companies producing, legalization, oversupply and you get cheap rec prices but still very expensive medical prices (I’m with Shopper’s and Redecan).

We just started getting Redecan products here in Nova Scotia. Only the Redee’s pre-rolls - at $35 a pack. Occasionally we’ll get a legal 0.5g cartridge at $20

Not long ago, the NSLC had been selling a 1/4 of ‘some private reserve grown in province’ crap for $105 (today it costs 70).

But in the most recent election, NS elected Conservatives, so maybe we’ll go the Manitoba/Saskatchewan/Alberta route and privatoze.

But the water soluble THC drops which I use a lot/love are $30 cheaper here in NS as opposed to Manitoba when I was there.

Tom
Wish I could start a coffee shop in Canada where you could buy grams and 1/8’s of weed, 1/2 or 1/4g concentrate, coffee, drinks, small snacks, juices AND use onsite. Give people who do not otherwise have a legal place to consume a way to legally do so

Put 6 drunks around a table and you'll get a fight.
Put 6 tokers around a table and you‘ll get ‘Hey man, I think ferris wheels should have real horses’ and ‘I want pizza’.

The pricing is completely whacky. I have NEVER seen a supply chain were the retailer can routinely sell a product for cheaper than the grower/producer. For example, one of the rec stores where I live has 10% off all vapes every Sunday. I can buy HEXO's 0.5g vape carts from them for $7 cheaper than buying them directly from HEXO's medical menu. EVEN OCS regular price is cheaper than HEXO.
And the medical supply is a joke. A number of them have what's called "compassion pricing" ranging from 15% to 30% off. But their prices are about 15% to 30% higher than the rec market anyway and the dried flower is pretty much the same low-test bunk as the rec market. Plus you have to wait for the mail to deliver it in 3 to 5 to however many days.
The govt should'a just copied the distribution model of the LCBO and created an MCBO and just sold it themselves instead of being both a supplier AND a competitor to the rec shops.
Did you read my post? He USED to grow for a medical place. Never said it was medical weed or ordered.

@SmokinBuddha I started with the MMAR and then MMPR/ACMPR; and at first there were a handful, perhaps 3 companies, so they sold it to us at whatever price they wanted and we paid for it,to have a regulated supply of medicine. And then many more companies producing, legalization, oversupply and you get cheap rec prices but still very expensive medical prices (I’m with Shopper’s and Redecan).

We just started getting Redecan products here in Nova Scotia. Only the Redee’s pre-rolls - at $35 a pack. Occasionally we’ll get a legal 0.5g cartridge at $20
If anything, legalization has made the grey market take off in Ontario. There's one place near me that deals almost exclusively in B.C.-grown weed.
Did you read my post?
Yep, and I responded to this part. "Our government messed up legalization big time here in Ontario. They expect us to buy sub par god knows what strain for a premium price sp of course the black market is thriving."
Any other questions?

Actually, I remember one of my very first medical purchases being Herijuana.

The strain never picked up much controversy largely because it never blew up

but still. That's all I have to contribute.
Herijuana is a great strain!

As a breeder/genticist, I can say that the Canadia government has renamed most strains(which is very frustrating).

However, their cannabis is not very good to begin with, but if it's all you got...

Myself and other breeders often name the strains we create based on the strains used, what the line of breeding is and/or something that has meaning to us.

Others often name strains based on marketing profitability( I understand but I do not like this method)

Sometimes the names come from terpene and or cannabinoid(s) present or even odors of the strain.

Hope this helps!

Endo