• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Little & Dandy MK-801 Thread

Tiletamine's another dissociative anesthetic you guys didn't mention. It's related to Ketamine as I recall but has a much longer half life. I've been curious about Xenon myself after reading on Wikipedia that it's a dissociative gas. Carbogen is another psychoactive gas with effects that sound dissociative like. And what about Dextrorphan (DXO) has anyoned tried it? It's related to Dextromethorphan (DXM) and I've only heard once of anyone ever ingesting synthetic DXO and he didnt report psychoactive effects. Ibogaine and Amanita muscaria are also sometimes classified as dissociatives.

I heard DXO is quite unpleasant. There's a report of someone on erowid who converted DXM to DXO and took it and did not enjoy it. Wikipedia has a list of a number of PCP analogues that were used recreationally for a brief period of time in the 1970's and early 80's.

The Wizard said:
I've been curious about Xenon myself after reading on Wikipedia that it's a dissociative gas.

They have done clinical studies in humans comparing xenon and nitrous, and most people liked Xenon better. I've met someone who tried it and they also enjoyed it.

The Wizard said:
Carbogen is another psychoactive gas with effects that sound dissociative like.

carbogen is just a mixture of oxygen and CO2. Sure, it can be psychoactive just because it alters your blood oxygen levels, but not in the same way that nitrous or xenon are.

The Wizard said:
Tiletamine's another dissociative anesthetic you guys didn't mention. It's related to Ketamine as I recall but has a much longer half life. I've been curious about Xenon myself after reading on Wikipedia that it's a dissociative gas. Carbogen is another psychoactive gas with effects that sound dissociative like. And what about Dextrorphan (DXO) has anyoned tried it? It's related to Dextromethorphan (DXM) and I've only heard once of anyone ever ingesting synthetic DXO and he didnt report psychoactive effects. Ibogaine and Amanita muscaria are also sometimes classified as dissociatives.

Tiletamine is like a no frills, industrial grade ketamine - had it a couple of times (not combined with the benzo it normally comes with) and I'll not be having it a third time...

The Wizard said:
And what about Dextrorphan (DXO) has anyoned tried it? It's related to Dextromethorphan (DXM) and I've only heard once of anyone ever ingesting synthetic DXO and he didnt report psychoactive effects. Ibogaine and Amanita muscaria are also sometimes classified as dissociatives.

The various literature I've read on DXM indicates that the body naturally changes the chemical from DXM to DXO in the process of metabolism, but I'm not aware of the effects of someone ingesting just DXO.

As for Ibogaine and Amanita muscaria, I think they are classed as dissociatives in that they can severe a person's ties with reality, but they aren't actually similar to dissociative anesthetics. The fact that the anesthetic class of dissociatives (ketamine, pcp, dxm) physically numb the body, I think that has a large influence on "what" the dissociation is like. If a person can't feel the world, then that is one additional level of separation. In effect, many dissociative anesthetics are able to produce or promote sensory deprivation, like that of an isolation tank (hence John C Lilly's joint use of both ketamine and the isolation tank).

"A concensus of the early experiments was that the psychotomimetic effects result from PCP's ability to produce sensory deprivation."
http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/pcp/effects.html

That same link about PCP also has a lot of interesting information about potential PCP analogues. I'm curious if an analogue could be developed to reduce the more unpleasant side-effects of PCP.

fastandbulbous said:
Tiletamine is like a no frills, industrial grade ketamine - had it a couple of times (not combined with the benzo it normally comes with) and I'll not be having it a third time...

Would you say you were able to experience any kind of "bodily severance" similar to a k-hole or high dose DXM? I've read interesting things about Tiletamine, but the fact that it never caught on for recreational use seems to be reason enough to be wary of it. It seems to be the same with many other experimental dissociative anesthetics; I imagine if they were as enjoyable as ketamine, they would see more widespread recreational use and abuse.

There was a sensory shutdown of sorts, but it wasn't that plesant (never had a dose of DXM beyond 1st/2nd plateau & have no desire to repeat - horrible toxic stuff)

What are the potential toxic effects of using Xenon? I assume these sorts of tests have all been carried out.

I kinda want to taste it...

i read the trip reports of mk-801 and just want to say if you dose too high, and i dont mean lethal dose, the whole experience will not be remembered, and you will hopefully become unable to move for the experience or you will most likely end up in jail or dead from doing something stupid

Xenon is the only drug/dissociative known to man to have absolutely no negative side effects whatsoever

pure dxm is easily one of my favorite substances, youre not the only one.. however chugging cough syrup always gives me the feeling that ive been poisoned

Unfortunately, it seems that Dizocilipine has become the standard of non-competetive NMDA-antagonist. What used to be called "the PCP-site" on the NMDA complex is now referred to as the "MK-801 site" in literature.

I might try this one someday, but it doesn't sound very interesting to me.

Jamshyd said:
Unfortunately, it seems that Dizocilipine has become the standard of non-competetive NMDA-antagonist. What used to be called "the PCP-site" on the NMDA complex is now referred to as the "MK-801 site" in literature.

Perhaps this is unfortunate for dissociative aficionados, but it's good for pharmacologists, because MK-801 seems to be more selective for the NMDA receptor than PCP or ketamine. There is quite a bit of evidence that PCP is a pretty dirty drug that also binds to mGluRs and perhaps even the DAT.

melange said:
am I the only one in the world who really enjoys dxm?

I want to try pure Dextrorphan.

Oh I love DXM, it's my favorite drug of all-time. The sensation of dissociation with DXM is amazing, I just wish it wasn't such a debilitating and uncomfortable drug. If I could have a DXM that would leave me unaffected the next day, it'd be the perfect drug.

What the world needs is a Shulgin of dissociatives to test and create all the potential analogs and variations. It's amazing that there are so many PCP analogs and yet so few are documentated for effects.

I also have a special place in my heart for dextromethorphan. I regard it as one of the most psychically helpful chemicals I've tried (right up there with LSD and the 4-OH-tryptamines). Dextromethorphan seems to trigger emotions in me that I have never felt sans chemistry, such as nostalgia and sentimentality. It is quite sad that this amazing tool for psychic introspection has become associated only with lame-ass 14-year-old stoners looking to kill a boring night by getting 'fuXor'd uP on c0ld m3ds.'

But there is so much more to dextromethorphan than just the NMDA recpetor. I think that the sigma receptor activity plays a large role as well. With ketamine, the same story applies--there is more going on than just NMDA receptor antagonism. And obviously, with phencyclide, there is a potent stimulant effect (PCP will fully substitute for cocaine in experimental animals), mediated by both the DAT and the dopamine D2 receptor, in addition to the intense dissociative effect. As a aside, this locomotor stimulation might be why PCP is known for producing such odd, violent behavior: think about how many cokeheads act like paranoid, arrogant twats after snorting a few lines...now couple that with total dissociation. Back to the original point, since MK-801 is pretty much completely selective for the NMDA-receptor Mg++ site, it might be a powerful dissociative, but I doubt it would have any of the positive effects of either ketamine or dextromethorphan.

Edit: I'll throw in a little epilogue to my dextromethorphan bit above. I concur regarding the intensity of the dextromethorphan next-day hangover/afterglow. In addition to a classic alochol-like hangover feeling (lethargy, fogginess), the day after dextromethorphan, an eerie emotionality is cast over everything. For me, that day is like experiencing what it must be like to have one's period, minus all the physical pain (I'm a dude, if that wasn't already obvious).

Last edited:
I'll third the emotional sensitivity of the day-after FX of DXM.

MK-801 sounds like an interesting and pharmacologically important chemical, but I have a hard time thinking anybody will ever get much from using it.

^^I really think that depends on your definition of "getting something from it".

Interesting. DXM more than anything else makes me feel absolutely refreshed the next morning and is almost guaranteed to leave me in a great mood. The only reason I don't really use it much is that I am CYP2D6 deficient and I have an uncomfortable, almost feverish comeup that lasts ridiculously long, even with the indicated therapeutic doses.