Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric The Main Synchronicity Thread

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Explain it. Why does the ingestion of psychedelics seem to intitiate coinciding events, minor and major, in the 'real' world, both during the intoxication but moreso AFTER the evnt (DMT being the greatsest personal catalyst)? Is it a grandeur of delusion or defintiion of quantum collapse, oberservation leading to 'changes' in the material world? Wishful thinking?

This topic has been plaguing me somehwat, moreso enteretaining and fascinating- the feeling (for me) is akin to deja vu....

Thoughts????

:) ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed this too. Believe that psychedelics and entheogens change our frequency of awareness in a subtle way.

hey willow

I have a good friend who is very into psychedelics, or at least was in the recent past. He is also very into Synchronicity and Terrence McKenna's lectures. He brings up the concept of synchronicity a lot. I don't think he has ever experimented with DMT, although I know he would like to. He was more a mushroom guy and did LSD when he could. DMT or the other 2C-B, 2C-E, etc.. that stuff has never been readily available where we are located.

You two could have a great discussion on this topic.

Willow, I'm in the throes of this myself. A friend I trust very much warns me that I am treading dangerous water.

Real or make believe? I don't know. I know I met SOMEONE, I'm not sure if my mind entirely created Her though.

I'll have more to add later...suffice to say I've been very seriously considering this issue all last week and I don't see a resolution coming immediately in the future.

I've broke down and rebuilt myself a few times this week. The process is like decaying and being returned to the earth while still cognizant of mental processes and emotions.

Strange.

sorry but i don't seem to understand, could you provide an example of this synchronicity?

Everyday I smoked DMT last week someone (people I never discuss psychedelics with) mentioned DMT to me.

The indole smell is also floating in the air everywhere.

I was just, in fact, writing about synchronicity in a PM to a friend, when I saw your new thread.

I'm not sure why psychedelics seem to bring it out, but I know that it doesn't only happen on psychedelics. On my +4 with 2C-E, I had a revelation about synchronicity. It happens whenever we are able to see beyond the single frame of reference we're in now so that we experience an event while knowing that it was coming. The universe is laid out perfectly so that everything affects everything else in some way and the whole of it comes together to create what is. As such, IMO, we do have free will at all times, but that free will itself is part of the universe, so that although we can only perceive one frame of it, all time and space and other dimensions are all already in existence, simultaneously. Since our past experiences are what make up our egoes, no matter how many times you went back to a point in the past to make a decision, you would always make the same decision. You'd make the same mental turns, back-and-forths, and the same eventual outcome.

As such, whatever does happen, is what was supposed to happen, so everything is always synchronous, except that most of the time you don't realize it. I've definitely been in mental states where I recognized that everything in my life and around me is always synchronistic.

I have been noticing it more and more and more as time goes by.

I'll write more about this later. But I can pin several life-changing events (including a relationship that begun that night and lasted for 9 years) on a particular LSD trip, which I keep meaning to write about. It's not that the trip 'caused' these events, but they all coincided with the most powerful (to that time) psychedelic experience I had ever had....also the most terrifying.

There is no karma

I'm sorry, but there is a thing called coincidence. Just because things happen in a manner that might appear to be significant, it doesn't mean they in fact are. When weare in situations where all things make 'sense' or are synchoronic we fail to notice all the things that don't make sense or don't fall into our preconceptions. When there are some things that match up with our expectations, we only pay attention to them.

Another thing, I am an atheist who loves Physics (it's my major). I used to be more hippy dippy and believe in karma and universal law or whatever. The truth is, the universe is indifferent. Karma is an absolutely absurd concept...the notion that the universe cares and tracks each one of our actions and then doles out actions in return is absurd! For example, we can certainly cite things that we have done and then cite things that have happened later which we contribute to our original action. But how can we do this for certain cases but forget about all the things that haven't been answered? Let's say I steal from ten different locations, but then I am eventually caught. Is it because of my 'karma' that I got caught? Let's say I only do nine robberies so I don't get caught on the tenth one, will I get caught then because of 'karma'? We can put this logic to EVERYTHING we do all day. All the things we do to people/animals/emotions etc. Do people who believe in karma believe that everything we do will either be positive or negative, then in the end the total sum would what we should get? That's absolutely absurd!

Hey Hasush, it is common knowledge that our minds (brains) interpret reality and structure it into seeming order and 'synchronicity.' I don't disagree with you there.

My argument against yours would be to contend that this faculty of our mind is precisely there because it presupposes some sense of order and coincidence (as you put it, which is just a synonym for synchronicity).

Our Minds ARE the universe.

A sympathetic reading of Karma has nothing to do with 'positive' or negative. It is simply an alternate perspective/explanation of causation.

samadhi_smiles said:
Our Minds ARE the universe.

I believe this to be true as well, or at least have very similar ideas, of which were uncovered to me during a mushroom trip.

I think the universe is God's Mind. This would explain how the universe could be "infinate" in size. Otherwise it makes no sense for it to be infinate. I am not saying a particular religion or God is the God I am thinking of. I think our bodies is what seperates us from God and from the universe. Our minds are infinate in size, just like the universe is.

I guess I don't believe in Karma either. But I do believe any action causes a reaction (basic physics) and I think a basic idea or theory would be that if you do things to harm others, they will do bad things back, or not help you. I don't think that if you robbed a bank, that Karma would cause you to be killed 5 years later in a car accident, for example.

I think hallucinogens offer so much as a tool to use for abstract thought (no shit, right?). I think the government should explore the possibilities associated with this, there is so much good that could come from this.

If a tree fell in a forest, and no one was around, would it still make a sound? Yes of course it will! The vibrations of the tree are present even if someone doesn't provide an eardrum to hear it.

Now, how come our minds ARE the universe?

Are you coming from a philosophical concept of a "brain in a vat?" For example, what if your brain was in a big vat of life sustaining juices controlled by scientists, and the reality you lived in was actually a matrix like environment. Since this can't be absolutely ruled out one might be able to put the same logic to other things...i.e. we might actually be in the matrix etc.

Now, I believe our universe exists independently of our brains. I believe our brains have been involving for millions of years so that the reality we see is the best reality to do 'human things.' Now...I conclude that there exists many other layers of 'reality.' Different universes, dimensions, etc. are all legitimate according to physics. Without even delving into experimental theory, the electromagnetic spectrum is a clear indication of the different realities. Our visible spectrum as a result is a mere fraction of what is actually out there.

But just because we aren't able to see certain things, I don't see how that is any substantial logic to assuming everything we see is false and that everything is a fabricated reality. Now I ask, how come our brains ARE the universe? Just like an eardrum, your brain simply responds to stimuli. The universe doesn't need us to be alive. You know, if the universe was created on January 1st at the strike of midnight, then right now, it December 31st 11:59. (not exactly the right numbers in the final time..might be 11:58..57..but a good metaphor) This tells us that our existence on the face of the universe is a mere flash. Now...one of the main principles of physics is causation. According to physics, we can rewind time and see initial conditions and see our things transpired. Accepted physical theory tells us that the laws of physics have been the same throughout time. There isn't any reason to think our brains ARE the universe when our brains have only been around for a mere pittance.

Now, how is karma any explanation to causation? It follows absolutely no logic or structured thought. It doesn't follow the scientific method, how can any conclusions drawn from it be valid? Karma is just another excuse of religions and thought which tries to reconcile why the universe is indifferent. It's also extremely erroneous to apply physical principles to philosophy. One might try to use Newton's 3rd Law (action reaction pairs) to try to justify Karma and what not. This is absurd beyond belief! For example, consider this statement: "everything is relative." Now philosophers and others would suggest statements like this tell the truth about the world and existence. They will say everything happens as a result of other things -> causation etc...blah blah. But philosophers using relativity don't realize the actual implications of relativity. All of their knowledge can be summed up in "A person looks different from the back compared to the front. It's all relative." Now these kinds of statements have been around since Aristotle. To really understand relativity is to understand it makes predictions. When gama rays bombard the earth certain particles are supposed to come to the earth. Relativity predicts the size and energy of these particles. Everything has been verified to experiment, but more importantly everything was predicted. The same things goes for every actions has an equal and opposite reaction. It makes predictions! To think about our everyday lives and say "this happened because of this" isn't making a prediction. Of course If I killed someone I would predict to be arrested. But to predict that on some certain day something exactly will happen is impossible. Karma follows this idea and that is why it is absolutely absurd.

i have experienced 'synchronicity', or coincidences, a number of times on various psychedelics.

2c-t-2 - i had a bout of synchronicity that was so wild, and so disturbing, it impacted the rest of my life after the fact. this solo low dose insufflated 2c-t-2 experience unfortunately occurred in a public setting and can be documented. my personal event coincided w/a major event in the news, maybe the biggest u.s./world news event in the last 25 years. what made it 'synchronous' was that i hallucinated something that had unmistakable similarities to the major event that occurred the following day. i'll write the details at some point.

Shrooms - low dose shroom trip, years ago, experienced w/5 friends. we decided to take a walk in the city during our low key trip - no one was in too deep to be in public. while walking in a group on the sidewalk someone rode by on a bike and yelled "shrooms, you're my kinda people". no one knew this person, none of our group was visibly altered, and we can all vouch for this.

mdma - this is minor, but happened during an enjoyable mdma session w/ a close friend, years ago.
the friend and i were sitting in a fairly dark and cluttered room. at one point my friend asked" can you get me the thing?" without looking, or turning on lights, or knowing what he was talking about, i walked across the room, picked up what he'd asked for in what was essentially a pile of debris and handed it to him.

Hasush, karma could be considered a ceteris paribus law, since of course it is not brute causal in nature since it takes into account human psychology and too many factors for it to be brute causal (at this level anyways).

I'll write more later, you have interesting comments. But, remember not to conflate the mind with the brain. Of course, in some way, the mind depends on some physical realization, but that physical realization need not be limited to the brain (i.e. wide computational systems of cognition). But, perhaps this is a different discussion than the OP wanted, maybe we can split off and discuss this somewhere else, since it is very interesting.

Peace.

Would this be considered synchronicity? - A couple years ago me and my friend were chilling on his bed on a few grams of shrooms watching aladdin. We were kind of having thise lying down arm wrestle where we just push on eachothers hands and try to straighten our arm and put theirs all the way back. now, this guy is so much bigger than me and could easily overpower me. suddenly i just get this surge of energy and i start pushing as hard i could and i completely overpowered him. but then after that was said and done.. minutes pass. and without even thinking about it BAM, we both tried to hit eachother at the same time and we both blocked eachothers hit. this all took place in a matter of half a second. we were both incredibly stunned and just broke into laughter.

another time, me and a group of friends were on some acid and we decided to play "funky" town while watching some weird childrens cartoon. and the events and mouthing fit PERFECTLY with the song. im thinking its either the synchronicity or we were just hella trippin.[

i think the second one you were just tripping ;)

the first could be, i guess. like the same thing as two people saying the exact same thing out of random, shit like that.

Sting

morninggloryseed said:
...But I can pin several life-changing events (....)
on a particular
(my italics)
LSD trip,
which I keep meaning to write about.(....)
It's not that the trip 'caused'
(my underline)
these events,
but they all coincided with the most powerful
(to that time)
psychedelic experience
I had ever had....also the most terrifying...
(close for me - UnS).

PEACE
UnS
:)

You know, I think my previous post was a wishy-washy statement that really means very little. What I meant to say was that the trip ended up being the thing that divided my youth, from my young-adult hood. It took place at age 17. The day of that trip, I kissed my love for the next 9 years for the first time, had my first real experience of what I have come to call God that night (I was an atheist at the time), and so many other things...both directly a part of the trip, and that just happened around it. So in my mind, that trip was an event that changed my life. Whether or not the other events were coincidence or not is totally besides the point. It doesn't change the fact that the trip occurred at the same time, and thus became an important part of those changes, inseparable in fact. Synchronicity? Yes. Coincidence? Does not matter.

morninggloryseed said:
I'll write more about this later. But I can pin several life-changing events (including a relationship that begun that night and lasted for 9 years) on a particular LSD trip, which I keep meaning to write about. It's not that the trip 'caused' these events, but they all coincided with the most powerful (to that time) psychedelic experience I had ever had....also the most terrifying.

Interesting thread.

I tend to side with hashush's thesis that this phenomenon is just selective memory. I probaby disagree with him/her philosophically on most everything else.

I do believe that there is a reality (I call it the Real) "out there," truly and completely independent from our minds. This Real has no structure, no meaning, and no significance; these concepts emerge only when us humyns start developing symbolic (linguistic) explanations for events or things in the Real.

From this perspective, there seem to be two interpretations of synchronicity. Either it is nonexistent, a placebo, an artifact of selective memory, or taking psychedelics somehow influences the Real to better match up with our symbolic expectations. Lacking compelling evidence for the latter, I default to the former, although I can imagine some personal experiences I have not had might be able to change that view, and willow's comment about quantum collapse is some interesting food for thought.

I think it's a fallacy to believe that our minds "are" the universe / reality simply because they assign it meaning. I also think that hashush is responding to a different, weaker argument than the one samadhi_smiles made. My interpretation was not so much the "Matrix/brain in a vat" thought experiment silliness, but a more philosophic claim: the external universe is a construct of Mind, and Mind is the only thing independently "real." Reality as an external structure does not exist, only our internal (i.e., mental) image of it.

I distinguish myself from that view with my ascription to the Lacanian notion of the Real. Reality as such does exist external to our minds; however, this external Real is devoid of symbolic meaning. From this external stimulus, our minds construct sense-making paradigms based on language that interpret that reality and give it meaning. Regarding synchronicity, the things we find 'coincidental' or meaningful are purely symbolic; there is no 'objective' method external to our constructed systems of meaning that defines what is and is not important or even similar. The consumption of a substance by an organism and the various 'meaningful' events that are imagined to occur 'in sync' are related only vis-a-vis one's own subjective web of related meanings, or perhaps intersubjective notions of psychedelic meaning. As a parting thought, I would be more amenable to the idea of synchronicity if it were framed as an intersubjective thing (i.e., something regarding the shared, social network of meaning surrounding, in this case, psychedelics... perhaps related to some notion of collective consciousness) rather than a trait exhibited by reality itself.