• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

Do any of you use price alerts regularly? If so, are they through your broker or a third-party service?

I decided to get back into the market after a bit of a break. My current strategy is selling cash-secured, deep-out-of-the-money put options on stocks that I would be okay with being assigned. GME would have been a perfect target for this due to the high volatility but my broker banned selling options on it. :(

I haven't gotten into options at all, just securities/stocks.

You ever used etoro?
My friend said hes earning every day using the 'copy investors' method
Not sure if i can transfer my btc there and use them to do the same?

Nope, never used etoro. Also I don't know what the method you mentioned is.

Nope, just looked it up though. I'll pass for now. Why are you in?

Point is: unless you just roughly want to know where price is I've never seen the point unless you're using market orders. But that depends on your own trading style and methodologies of course.

Yeh, I've learned day trading is a mug's game, but I'm mostly interested in price alerts for swing trading FX. When there's a strong trend developing over weeks, there's a high probability for profit entering when the price reaches the moving average.

FX is still the best pool of "easy money" I've found, but high-probability events don't come along every day so it would be nice to be alerted when one is approaching.

Hey dalpat, I'm offended you didn't @ me as I'm an admin too and also a mod of this forum :cry::cry:

;) (just kidding)

As for your idea, I think it's a great idea, and feel free to post a thread. I, for one, would welcome your wisdom and experience, as I am really just getting into investing. I did have some experience investing in crypto in 2017/2018, and learned some of my hard lessons there. Currently I'm into my first foray into the stock market, and looking to build long-term wealth. I would welcome a thread that communicates your experience and knowledge.

In addition to this: I'm sure there's some here that don't like me or find my political views etc. offensive.

Hey man, I do find some of your political views problematic, but I like you. :) I think I can safely say that we all like you here. You're one of the good ones, even if you're utterly wrong a lot of the time. ;)

Well I sold those 2 GME shares, wish I had done so earlier, but oh well. I was going to just hold because Gamestop actually saved themselves because of this whole business... they sold stock whren it peaked and stayed in business, and they've just hired a team to try to push the company in the direction of an online gaming resource, like Netflix for video games I think. Could actually be a good pick years down the road. But it's going to keep tanking first. if I buy any more, it will be at the bottom, maybe. In the meantime, holding it is just bleeding money.

I've been doing a lot of research. I'm starting to try to diversify, I've only got an approximately $4,500 portfolio at the moment, and 30% is in a few good ETFs. I'm setting a percentage of my take-home pay to go to investments every month, treating it like I treat my 401k. Ultimately I'd like more of a percentage in ETFs and other less risky things, for sure. But for the moment, I'm 70% into cannabis industry stocks, because those things are working for me good right now. My close friend is deeply involved in that industry, and had some good suggestions for me for companies he believes are poised to become the major players over the years. He also clued me into a company who is planning to go public next month, they're a holding company angling to buy up smaller businesses. Apparently they have hugely deep pockets and have a really good plan, and he thinks they're going to become huge. The cannabis industry hasn't even boomed yet. I mean it's just starting to a little bit, but once full legalization happens, forget about it. It's gonna be a fantastic opportunity to make a lot of money, so I'm trying to get in at the ground floor.

All of my cannabis stocks (6 different companies) are growing right now. I suspect that will keep happening for years to come. Once I have a lot of money, I will go more into more stable, less risky investments.

I just watched a few videos about trading options. Kind of a strange concept, but I'm getting the impression people make a ton of money with them. Does anyone have any direction in terms of where I should go to learn about it? Recommended, or stick to direct stock ownership?

The cannabis industry hasn't even boomed yet. I mean it's just starting to a little bit, but once full legalization happens, forget about it. It's gonna be a fantastic opportunity to make a lot of money, so I'm trying to get in at the ground floor.
My suggestion, based on the Canadian experience: consider cashing out after legalization has been passed into law (or as soon as it is a sure thing that it will pass into law) but before it actually happens. The legal market is hyper-competitive and profit margins are slim. Consider this index of Canadian cannabis stocks (look at the ten-year chart), with the following dates in mind:

- the House passed cannabis legalization on Nov 27th, 2017, meaning that legalization was very likely but not certain (the Senate rarely votes down House-passed legislation in Canada)
- the Senate passed cannabis legalization on June 19th, 2018, meaning that legalization was 100% going to happen
- Cannabis opened the legal market on October 18th, 2018

I just watched a few videos about trading options. Kind of a strange concept, but I'm getting the impression people make a ton of money with them. Does anyone have any direction in terms of where I should go to learn about it? Recommended, or stick to direct stock ownership?
I've heard a lot of recommendations for Tastytrade, which has free courses on options, although I haven't tried it. Investopedia is always useful.

Options can be high-risk, high-reward, especially if traded WallStreetBets-style (i.e. deep out-of-the-money calls near expiry) as they are more leveraged than stock. However, there are also low-risk, low-reward strategies with options, as well as ways to simply lower your cost basis (although even here there is always some additional risk) for stocks you like.

I would recommend reading quite a bit before deciding whether to jump in, as unlike with long stock positions, maximum losses in many situations can be infinite and trades have to be managed very carefully so as not to put yourself in a position where you could owe far more money than you have in your account.

I think most people would suggest that you're best off getting into a few well-known, diversified ETFs (e.g. one for U.S. equity, one for international equity, and one for U.S. bonds) and that few people will beat these in the long run. Personally I'm trying my hand at options more because I find it engaging than because I'm confident I can beat the market, so if it's something that you find engaging as well it may be worth it for you to try your hand at it. But be careful!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the chart, that's pretty revealing. (y)

Re: options, that was my impression, that one should really know what they're doing.

Ive got a couple recommendations if anyone is curious enough to look into these which have done quite well recently and I have high hopes for the future.

JMIA- Jumia, the amazon of Africa, still low cap but its just been going up and up
DDAIF- Daimler (Mercedez) Been doing very well, people seem to think this is one company that is gonna do fine transitioning to EV
SUNW- I think this one is a bit of a hype play being that its a clean energy company that only showed up last summer but since nov it went up 6x to 30$, currently at 21

These next few I dont know tons about personally but the top financial advisor in Canada is apparently holding them

FAF.TO- Fire and Flower, a Canadian cannabis stock
LXG.VN- Lexagene, Biotech and pathogen analyzation

What do yall think is gonna happen with amazon when the whole social distancing thing is over?

Options are literally just that, options, you are buying the option to buy/sell in the future at a certain price

You could buy the option to buy amazon for 1780$ (worth 3350), but the option basically costs the difference, so about 1500$ for the option to do that.

Last edited:
Ive got a couple recommendations if anyone is curious enough to look into these which have done quite well recently and I have high hopes for the future.

JMIA- Jumia, the amazon of Africa, still low cap but its just been going up and up
DDAIF- Daimler (Mercedez) Been doing very well, people seem to think this is one company that is gonna do fine transitioning to EV
SUNW- I think this one is a bit of a hype play being that its a clean energy company that only showed up last summer but since nov it went up 6x to 30$, currently at 21

These next few I dont know tons about personally but the top financial advisor in Canada is apparently holding them

FAF.TO- Fire and Flower, a Canadian cannabis stock
LXG.VN- Lexagene, Biotech and pathogen analyzation

What do yall think is gonna happen with amazon when the whole social distancing thing is over?

Thanks for the tips, will look at them. For Jumia, looks really promising. Only thing I wonder is, will the actual Amazon overtake them at some point? But yeah, looks like probably a good buy right now. Especially as it is in a dip but headed back up (looks like).

As for Amazon, I think Amazon is only going to continue to grow. I think it's possible/probable that there will be a reduction in its usage, but not all the way down to pre-pandemic levels. It's simply so convenient, I think some people will decide to stick with primarily Amazon shopping rather than go back to in-store. I don't think retail will ever be the same, it was already struggling, and the pandemic has obviously destroyed it... it will bounce back some but will never be where it once was, I don't think.

I bet when the pandemic finally ends, Amazon will dip a bit, mostly because of people thinking it will dip, but the company is just going to get more and more massive as it expands to more and more countries and achieves greater and greater market dominance. Just my opinion.

Options are literally just that, options, you are buying the option to buy/sell in the future at a certain price

You could buy the option to buy amazon for 1780$ (worth 3350), but the option basically costs the difference, so about 1500$ for the option to do that.

From what I was reading, it seems like it's a way to basically control more shares than you could if you bought them outright, and whatever gain (or loss) from those shares is the same as if you had actually bought them. So you could buy an option for 100 shares of something worth $100 a share for, say, $500 (making up numbers, but the point being, less than $100 times 100 shares by far), and then if the stock went up to $110 and that was your target, and it happened within the timeframe, you'd make $10 profit times 100, for an investment of only $500. But if you never reached your target in the timeframe, you'd be out the $500 with nothing to show for it. And then also I think I was reading that it costs money daily to hold them, too? I'm not sure, I'm just starting to look into it.

I most recently bought 2 shares of ARKK, that thing seems to be performing insanely well, a 5 year average return of 54%... highest I've seen in an ETF. Probably my next infusion of cash will also go to ARKK. I have some other ETFs too that are a little lower risk, ITOT and IXUS, broad diversified ETFs covering the whole US and world markets.

Uhmmm, this is getting hot.

Be careful with options, they move quickly and give either huge profits or zero.

I have been too busy snorting coke lately :eek:, but got into BGCP past Friday, the reason was a repeating bull bet via March $4 calls, and also BlackRock has doubled his position. So I bought shares at 3.99 there's some rumour that something will happen, but gods know if that's true, all I care is that some wise guy is accumulating there. I've set up a sell order at 4.6, just in case

That's my 2 cents, don't get too excited, is not advice to buy or sell, just a journal of my crazy ideas (and many times they go wrong)

Uhmmm, this is getting hot.

Be careful with options, they move quickly and give either huge profits or zero.

I have been too busy snorting coke lately :eek:, but got into BGCP past Friday, the reason was a repeating bull bet via March $4 calls, and also BlackRock has doubled his position. So I bought shares at 3.99 there's some rumour that something will happen, but gods know if that's true, all I care is that some wise guy is accumulating there. I've set up a sell order at 4.6, just in case

That's my 2 cents, don't get too excited, is not advice to buy or sell, just a journal of my crazy ideas (and many times they go wrong)
Did I happen to forget to mention the part that trading and/or investing shouldn't be done while under the influence of a mind altering substance? 🤪