• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

Lots of good news since that pretty bad month of september.

Someone just market bought 1.8bil in btc. the rumour is it was george soros.

Some more etf btc news hitting this month along with some other bullish news to come from the u.s that they are not looking to ban crypto (which we all knew anyways but are more concerned with the regulation with it)

El salvadors buys is looking good right now. May push some other countries in.

Oh also this thread i found on btc energy use is really interesting if anyone is interested ..

oxford nanopore

if i hadn't literally just spent all my money on a house i would put everything i had in them.

they have chemistry that rivals illumina for accuracy (though not sure if its available to buy yet), but much longer reads. selective sequencing so you can only sequence things you're interested in. you can literally sequence anywhere with v little library prep time. this probably means nothing to anyone reading this but i just found out they are now publically traded and honestly its the first time i've ever wished i could afford to invest in stocks.

they have chemistry that rivals illumina for accuracy (though not sure if its available to buy yet), but much longer reads. selective sequencing so you can only sequence things you're interested in. you can literally sequence anywhere with v little library prep time. this probably means nothing to anyone reading this but i just found out they are now publically traded and honestly its the first time i've ever wished i could afford to invest in stocks.

actually I'm familiar with it since reading this article -

it sounds like very interesting technology, and the cost makes it affordable. you or i could probably buy one of these gene unzipping dongles and be digitizing dna pretty soon, it sounds like.

imho biotech will be the next big revolution in sciences, but i still don't think we've exhausted all the steam from the information revolution, and new regulatory hurdles may come up since everyone is uncomfortable with the idea of people making GMOs in their basement, heh.

the safe bet would be to invest in a biotech ETF instead of just betting on one corp. slightly less profit potential but also much less risk!

imho biotech will be the next big revolution in sciences, but i still don't think we've exhausted all the steam from the information revolution, and new regulatory hurdles may come up since everyone is uncomfortable with the idea of people making GMOs in their basement, heh.

the safe bet would be to invest in a biotech ETF instead of just betting on one corp. slightly less profit potential but also much less risk!
oh for sure.

i think that ONT is quite different to most biotech companies. because they produce the machines that produce the data that many biotech companies use. so the potential applications are endless. once their kit that rivals illumina reduces in price/comes on the market/whatever, illumina will be dead. on projects that require illumina sequencing, budgets are in the £100ks, and you can expect days or weeks to get your sequencing done (depending on how much backlog the sequencing lab has), even the library prep (at least when i shadowed people producing libraries for me) takes days.

at the moment illumina is the workhorse of bioinformatics because of its accuracy. its slow, expensive, and produces short reads (250bp). sequencing budgets for ONT projects are in the max £10ks, library prep can be done in less than 10 mins for some types of organism, and you can get reads 10-100k bases long.

currently every fancy application of insights into RNA or DNA is based off illumina data. in 5 years it will be based off ONT.

i can't see how it can lose. my company and many others have entire product lines based off ONT, and as they improve their chemistry and drop their prices many more will start.

what kind of applications do you think will become most popular? do you think we're far from these dongle type devices being able to write as well as read? i know there's been some promising research into using DNA for digital data storage...

this makes me wonder what other unexpected possibilities may open up when DNA sequencing becomes affordable and portable enough that a student can do hands-on research in his/her dorm room

what kind of applications do you think will become most popular?
it depends what works best i guess. metagenomics of various types- detecting environmental pathogens, working out whats up with people's digestive systems, all sorts. ONT is the only way to give quick results for that and when you're trying to contain a disease outbreak or find out what antibiotics someone needs to save their life, that is important. blood tests for cancer (or at least types that circulate cell free DNA) and other diagnostics. environmental monitoring.

the vast majority of covid data is ONT because its quick and cheap, so you can get high enough coverage for reasonable variant calling and thus tracking. so any disease tracking will use it.

do you think we're far from these dongle type devices being able to write as well as read? i know there's been some promising research into using DNA for digital data storage...

i have no idea!! that would be super cool though and i'm sure someone is working on it. dna is insanely compressed. because depending on where you start reading, the same region can be coding different amino acids. the shapes encode data too, like where to start and end transcription.

this makes me wonder what other unexpected possibilities may open up when DNA sequencing becomes affordable and portable enough that a student can do hands-on research in his/her dorm room

that would be super cool, though its a little way off still. the student would need the reagents and equipment required (not actually that much and atm about a tenner per run of ~100k reads of average length ~2k so not prohibitively expensive) for library prep, i.e. turning your sample into the type of thing that you can input to a sequencer. then they need a computer with a decent GPU for basecalling (standard gaming ones are fine) and then RAM - at least 50GB- and decent processors, you want to support at least 48 hyperthreads with a reasonable clock speed, so you can actually analyse your data. most people use supercomputing clusters to analyse biological data at present. i use a desktop but its a bespoke bioinformatics rig that cost about £7k.

but i reckon in 5-10 years it will be possible. that would be so cool. lol if you got a cold you could sequence it straight away, compare against your genetics, and find out how it was likely to affect you.

basically, its a cliche, but the possibilities are endless. if you can imagine it, someone is trying it.

I don't really feel much confidence in the stock market right now, we had a historic run-up last year and this year looks sketchy as fuck. If you ask me we're due for a big correction. Probably still good if you're planning to hold long term. I feel a lot more confident in crypto long term, and medium term, though. If you follow the industry, mass adoption (not necessarily as currency, though also as currency, but primarily as a decentralized software and services framework) is all but inevitable but we're not even close to full adoption yet. The room for growth is still huge. Crypto is way more volatile but the entire space is only just above $2 trillion in market cap. The upside potential is tremendous still. I spent lots of time doubting over the past years and each time, if I had just hung on, I'd have so much money right now.

It's analogous to the advent of the Internet. Quietly behind the scenes, there is greater and greater adoption of blockchain technology happening every day. Even bitcoin, the one everyone knows about and is paying attention to, is being adopted by entire countries recently. Bitcoin is the least risk for the time being, I would be entirely shocked if you bought bitcoin and 2-3 years from now weren't at least 5x from your entry point. I would be even more shocked if you were anywhere near there from any sort of stock market entry, well unless you happen to pick a stock that no one knows about that explodes. Do your own research though.

No one who has held Bitcoin for 4 years has lost money yet.

I spent all summer in areas with no reception. Just had to let my cryptos sit.
I have lost most interest in the stock market. I was paying into some cannabis ETFs for a sec and reading about investing in the space industry.
Sorta fizzled on that since I was away all summer. I've been autopaying into some blue chip mutual funds for a few years now though so I think its okay to just pay attention to crypto like I have been.
I spent too much on cryptos when I was in town though, and didn't save much for my off season. I'm sorta forcing myself to learn to make money on the crypto markets to have a comfortable winter. I'll be teleworking again, at least for a while, so I can split my focus.

Has anyone looked into DeFi protocols yet? I'm honestly thinking about holding most of money in crypto banks as stable coins making possibly double digit interest instead of a normal bank account.
I'd be interested in knowing more about your crypto game @Xorkoth

I picked up this NFT artwork from my good friend who is going by GANSY now (he is also a Bluelighter but I won't say who ;)). His art is produced via a neural network that he trained using historical and modern art from the 14th century on, he called it The GANS Machine. It produces art by interpreting the title phrase of the piece and generating its interpretation of it based on its training, using machine learning. It constantly learns to produce better and better art. It's really fascinating and exciting to me. :) I picked this up for almost free and he's auctioning off pieces for over 1 ETH now (almost $4k). I already have people asking me if I'll sell this one so I probably will soon but gonna wait a little longer I think. it's called "The Night's Plutonian Shore" (a phrase from my ibogaine trip report):

He also made this one below for me for free and named me (as Xorkoth) in the metadata. It's a first generation one so the style is very different but I think it's bad ass (it's called "Psychedelic Fractal Voyage Into Inner Space"):

His 3rd generation collection is here. Some of the art is just absolutely breathtaking, though you guys would enjoy it:

It's cool for me to see the NFT art space opening up to actual art and not just dumb 8 bit hype pop art stuff. Gives me hope that I might be able to set something up to make use of some of my abstract acrylic painting digital prints.

Has anyone looked into DeFi protocols yet? I'm honestly thinking about holding most of money in crypto banks as stable coins making possibly double digit interest instead of a normal bank account.
I'd be interested in knowing more about your crypto game @Xorkoth

Yeah defi is a fascinating space. I am holding 100k STAK (Jigstack). it's a defi launching platform where they heavily vet all projects launching on it to ensure confidence in the projects. They're working on their first launch now. By staking in the platform with the STAK token, you provide liquidity for the network, and receive a portion of the total supply of each launch's tokens, allocated at launch via smart contract. The market cap is super low right now. I got in even lower so I'm quite up. There is so much room to grow.

Love the first art piece. Nft's i think people are underestimating because they are so new and we are still in its infancy.

I love the projects that are pfp's aswell and have had some thoughts surrounding a nft project . Art and drugs after all are interlinked..

I like the community vibes they bring and the fact you can bring awareness to subjects, although atm i see the space is getting kind of diluted in terms of pfp projects i still think art on the blockchain has a big role to play.. especially in social media..

I see zuckerbergs trying to rename facebook the metaverse.. but centralisation makes me sick...

The true metaverse is here on the eth blockchain and i truly believe nfts have a part to play in the future.

Thank God MATIC is finally move again....that was a long 5 months of nothing much

anybody grab that coinbase debit card? that thing's great - you get 4% back on all your purchases and you have a few coins to choose from - i've been stacking XLM and im up to $100 usd just paying my bills with it - it's great

banned from coinbase for life because of... things...

I sent money to a gray market vendor without moving it to a separate wallet first, back in 2017.

I moved $3k of my stock market portfolio into crypto, and bought some spot positions to ride up. Thinking about putting the rest into stablecoins that I stake, I can get a better rate of return than most stock market stuff and no risk (unless you count the risk of simply being in crypto... which at this point I no longer do). The stock market is sketching me out right now.

I have made some good futures plays the past week. Have a couple of longs open that I hope to ride to the stratosphere. I noticed that MIR is near its price floor, hasn't really recovered much at all. With alt season right around the corner, it could be a huge play.

Damn, You'd think that a lot of Coinbase users would run into a similar situation. I mean I don't have all my eggs in one basket with BTC. But I do have the majority of my coins on CB.

banned from coinbase for life because of... things...

I sent money to a gray market vendor without moving it to a separate wallet first, back in 2017.

I moved $3k of my stock market portfolio into crypto, and bought some spot positions to ride up. Thinking about putting the rest into stablecoins that I stake, I can get a better rate of return than most stock market stuff and no risk (unless you count the risk of simply being in crypto... which at this point I no longer do). The stock market is sketching me out right now.

I have made some good futures plays the past week. Have a couple of longs open that I hope to ride to the stratosphere. I noticed that MIR is near its price floor, hasn't really recovered much at all. With alt season right around the corner, it could be a huge play.

Oh ok - i sent crypto to kucoin from coinbase and i don't think you're supposed to have a kucoin account in the US - so i wondered about that but everything went ok....was it kinda something like that?

Kucoin is my favorite exchange - they have everything too