• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Too much Phenylethylamine (PEA)?

PEA does not get destroyed so much as it gets converted into active metabolites.

If PEA is converted into other compounds it is destroyed, unless your use of the term 'destroyed' is referring to matter/anti matter annihilation (which I know it isn't). So putting a car in a crusher doesn't mean it's destroyed, but converted into a cube of metal? It use of language in that manner that makes me your number one doubter...

Sorry. I didn't realize sources were a problem here. Especially I didn't think there was an issue with furnishing reputable sources for an entirely legal drugs. Guess I should have read the FAQ.

/I wish there were a forum on the internet where people could discuss such things as sources, drug synthesis, etc... Sigh...

This is an interesting case study. Basically, you're chronically exposing your brain to a generally innocuous compound. Through a little pharmacological interaction, you manage to derive pleasure from it. But now you're in over you're head. 28-times a day, fuck. Please describe the experience a bit more.
Well, you sound smart, so you should know constantly exposing yourself to a chemical will change homeostasis within your brain. This, I feel, is not a desirable effect [most of the time]. However, you're brains fairly plastic, no need worry if you stop (or at least cut back).

I've been using PEA, Selegiline, and Effexor for about 2 months now.

At first I had problems, but the results were so good that I decided to experiment and find a safe, effective (functionality, NOT a "buzz") regimen.

I'm a 45 year old 200 pound male, and I ended up taking 1/4 of a 5 mg Selegiline tablet every two hours, and like the 30 minute dose poster noted, you have to take the PEA annoyingly regularly or it stops working. My time between 100+/- mg doses of PEA is about an hour.

It's a wonderful combination that after YEARS of treatment with other meds is unparalleled.

I STRONGLY advise caution as the combination, as noted by others above, can be dangerous.

I gave my weight because if you weigh less and try it, you'll probably need to reduce the dose. I don't see what the big deal about using it for self-medication is. Anyone wanting to use the combo as a coping mechanism or for recreational purposes should look elsewhere.

I wouldnt suggest using needles but just out of curiousity would PEA be active at lower levels IV seeing as it passes the metabolism.

I've been using PEA, Selegiline, and Effexor for about 2 months now.

At first I had problems, but the results were so good that I decided to experiment and find a safe, effective (functionality, NOT a "buzz") regimen.

I'm a 45 year old 200 pound male, and I ended up taking 1/4 of a 5 mg Selegiline tablet every two hours, and like the 30 minute dose poster noted, you have to take the PEA annoyingly regularly or it stops working. My time between 100+/- mg doses of PEA is about an hour.

It's a wonderful combination that after YEARS of treatment with other meds is unparalleled.

I STRONGLY advise caution as the combination, as noted by others above, can be dangerous.

I gave my weight because if you weigh less and try it, you'll probably need to reduce the dose. I don't see what the big deal about using it for self-medication is. Anyone wanting to use the combo as a coping mechanism or for recreational purposes should look elsewhere.

As you've multiple posted the exact same thing in al least one other forum (your only 2 posts), I can only take what you're saying with a huge pinch of salt until I'm convinced that you're not yet another 'alter-ego' of Neuronal Perception who repeatedly goes to extreme lengths to promote PEA because he's involved in selling the stuff (there is something familiar about your style of writing).

Don't bother with the denial - if you want to convince me otherwise, make some more posts on topics other than PEA (ie be a member of bluelight, not just a name that seems to only be used for promoting PEA)

Promotion of PEA

Dear Fastandbulbous.

I was just coming back here to review your comments/recommendations that I saw when doing research last night. They're gone though.

I mainly comment on PEA/Selegiline for 2 reasons. First and foremost to WARN people about the dangers of it. I noted weird heart sensations when I first started using the combo, and I was at my Parents house. They had an automatic BP cuff, and when I used it I was shocked to see my usually normal BP up to 170 something over 80 or 90 something. It wasn't an equipment problem. It was the combo of Effexor PEA and Selegiline. I took the BP tester home, did research which told me about FXRs effect on BP and PEA/Selegilines effect on BP. I've been experimenting to get a "safe" regimen for over a month now. My current regimen is in the post you commented on.

The other reason I write is because for people who might have similar neurological problems. Like the first commenter on this thread, I'm VERY impressed with the PEA/Selegiline combo even though it's a pain to take things bi-hourly and hourly. I agree with him that it's absolutely incredible.

I used to drink 2-4 beers 2-3 times a week. After I started on the PEA/Selegiline, my desire to do so (well, twice I drank 2) disappeared. I DON"T and haven't, but I used to WANT to smoke a little pot sometimes too, and that desire is gone too.

I'm just content. I was terribly dysphoric, amotivated, depressed, and completely drained daily for almost 2 years after coming off high-dose FXR I'd been on for 5-6 years. This combo has given me my life back.

I'm not "drugged" either. Look at the doses I mentioned. When I started taking the combo, I took 1/2 to a whole 5 mg of Selegiline every 4-5 hours, a whole 37.5 FXR and another 1/2 later in the day. I would also take a whole 250 mg PEA capsule too. I've made drastic reductions in dose that I wouldn't have done if I wanted to be "high" (or if I had a death wish like you alluded to).

I noted your comment about FXR and Selegiline and had been thinking about switching to a pure SSRI. Like I've told other folks elsewhere who are on SNRI's and Wellbutrin or other DN meds, there's a redundancy in combining them that I don't get. Maybe some folks need all the norepinephrine, but I kinda doubt it.

I've also noticed that fluid retention and vasoconstrictive action is still a concern. Trying to come up with a vasodilator and diuretic that will negate those side effects.

I'm NOT just a PEA promoter (PEA promoters I suspect are the ones that'll tell ya not to use it w/Selegiline so they'll sell more). You'll just have to trust me I guess. I rant on Pete Guithers Drug War Rant website, comment on Dr. Bobs Babble website, and try to help others "out there" anywhere I find someone my experiences might help.

Thanks again for your mentioning the FXR/Selegiline combo problems, and the hyperthermia. With warm weather coming I think that may become a greater concern.

I also wanted to comment that your mention of a knowledge of pharmacology is excellent advice for EVERYONE these days. Med Docs hand out SSRI's, SNRI's, Abilify, Wellbutrin etc. like candy. It's not just Psych Docs medicating people anymore. There are effects like I went through from the long-term FXR use that I suspect apply to MANY psych meds - downregulation etc. The very conditions people are being treated for can be made worse by regular and long term use of meds that treat those conditions. I'm not talking about bipolar meds. Just anti-anxiety, depression, ADHD, and schizophrenia meds.

I've studied pharmacology as a layman since I was 15. After reading all the propaganda about pot, that I never experienced when I used it, I decided to do my own research on drugs. I also went through YEARS of treatment for depression and took dozens of meds. I did a LOT of pharma research trying to learn about those meds and other drugs/chems/supplements that might help. A last comment about FXR and I'll end this. After trying ALL the meds, FXR was like a wonder drug. Supposedly the only thing different about it was the Norepinephrine action and Dopamine action at high doses. I wasn't on a high dose then. I suspect that FXR has actions that effect the brains endorphin-related systems. The manufacturer doesn't list any such in it's data, but if it did they'd have a harder time with it. Why the nausea, vomiting, and other opiate withdrawal type symptoms when high doses of it are suddenly stopped? It's structurally similar to Tramadol too.

"Nuff said. Maybe all this will help you trust me now. I understand.

themthe without effecting the can wyts from

Bluelight and readers -

I THOUGHT that by experimenting I would find a safe PEA/Selegiline dose/time regimen.

I'm methodical and know enough about pharmacology, physiology and neurology to be dangerous .

THIS STUFF IS NOT SAFE. I HOPE I HAVEN"t HURT or will hurt anyone by what I've written about PEA/Selegiline.

Otherwise, my final word after 3 months using the combo is......

STAY AWAY FROM IT.

I'm getting sores in my mouth from the extreme drying it causes, and regardless of how closely I follow my regimen and eat with it, sometimes I still have weird BP spikes.

I don't know what in the world I'll do without it. Never found anything as therapeutic for me as the combo.

I also kinda like life though and not having strokes from weird BP spikes or organ damage from fluid pressure.

Maybe....just maybe, if I can find a vasodilator and diuretic that will cancel out the vasoconstrictive and fluid retention properties of the combo, I'll write back.

Sorry all.

Jim

at this point you might as well just take a sub-psychedelic dose of mescaline every day. ever think of that? it worked better for me than dark chocolate binges (on selegiline). crazy thought huh?

^ that may be atypical or is it a documented general response at that level

the chocolate thing? I wasnt being super serious about it. I wouldnt recommend it as a mood booster. You have to eat a lot of chocolate to even make a weak distant approximation of taking pea capsules frequently. The mescaline thing on the other hand, is interesting but perhaps less practical.

Last edited:
Newmoonrecord

That's an interesting suggestion that indeed has some research supporting it. Discover magazine did an article on the use of such a few months ago.

You got me on the mescaline too. Of ALL the meds, illegal drugs, and supplements I've experimented with through the years, I never got to that one. Never found appeal in the psychedelics. Used low dose (no "trips" or visuals) LSD a few times and drank some shroom tea someone gave me once. I laughed like a fool and saw some weird stuff. Nothing I wanted to repeat. Mescaline is illegal too. Can't deal with illegal stuff anymore.

I know you are talking about a low dose though. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm gonna try BP meds, diuretics, and an antihistamine (PEA interferes with the enzyme that breaks down histamine - had my first asthma attack ever on the stuff - another concern about using it for those with asthma or allergies) with the combo.

It's just too perfect for my neurological problems for me to give up on. I also had the thought that younger folks might not have the same problems with it. At 33 I was taking Adderall without problems. Now the stuff would probably give me a stroke or heart attack.

In reference to the frequent dosing problem, it struck me that it would be very interesting if someone studied this chemical and made a time-release version. I suppose at that point it would have to be regulated and FDA-ed until it ended up illegal. :p

PEA timereleased

Hi Jim,

how are you doing now - PEA still working like it used to? I heard its not possible to build up a tolerance to it, but eventually receptors will downregulate. Did you find ways to get rid of the side-effects?

If you are still interested in preparing a timereleased PEA formula, let me know! Here in Germany we don't have timereleased forms of Amphetamine for ADHD due to lack of demand (doctors prefer to prescribe Concerta). But if they are needed, farmacies can prepare a timereleased form out of raw amphetaminesulfate powder. The process is quite simple and effective and it'll surely work with PEA as well. I don't have time to translate the preparation right now, but if there is interest, I'll do it asap.

I kind of question how effective a time release PEA would be. I used a wax cellulose blend that took a total of 70 minutes to completely break down in acidic water (pH ~4) with about 300mg. Typically an oral dose of 75-100mg would have me feeling pretty well. At about 200mg I started having chest pains, so taking 300mg at once had me really nervous, but I didn't notice anything from it. I assume it wasn't leaking out fast enough to build up a useful concentration, and that I actually under dosed.

I'm sure there's a way to make it work, but it probably requires using doses that are awfully high, to the point where if you mess it up, you'd likely die. Not the sort of thing that amatuers should be doing.

this thread is confusing as fuck

phenethylamine/phenylethylamine

scratching head.......?????????

Last edited:
I've definetly seen the results of dl-pea/l-tyrosine stacked first hand when i checked my BP while on them and it was 168/100. While that's not particularly scary high it was high enough to make me do a double take especially considering that i was taking a beta blocker at the time.

So the cardio impact of PEA especially when co-administered with synergistic drugs is defiantly something that should be taken into consideration.

I ended up taking 1/4 of a 5 mg Selegiline tablet every two hours

wut.
doesn't this practically guarantee cross-over into MAOA inhibition?

Well, it depends how long it's carried on for. If you're taking care of the dietary issues, and are even more careful about PEA dosing, blocking MAO-A isn't a big concern.