• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Tooth decay from meth use?(smoking)

Tyrielle

Bluelighter
Hey guys just wondering if anyone would have past experience info or could fill me in on the symptoms or signs of tooth decay from smoking meth.

My situation is I've been smoking for 2 and a half years (about half a g a week, although I smoke quite a bit less now) and have lately noticed especially after a session on the gear I can feel tiny 'hard bits' in my mouth like when a rub my bottom and top teeth together - to describe it I would say it feels exactly like a couple of grains of sand in your mouth without the salty taste.
There too tiny to feel with my tongue or even see when I try to scoop any of it out with my finger.
I have not noticed any decay in my teeth or pain before and have looked after them pretty well all my life like cleaning every second day-ish.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance -

It's the acidity from meth that really does the number on your teeth. That and the often poor hygiene practices that accompany meth use.

If you're really worried, see a dentist and get checked out. 2 and a half years doesn't really seem like a long enough time to really do much damage, especially only .5g a week.

Have you tried biotene? You squirt it in your mouth and it keeps it moist. A dry mouth is a breeding ground for bacteria.

I havent tried biotene but i clean my teeth after a bender so i dont think bacteria will be an issue.

I might get my tooth looked at but yea i was sorta thinkin 2 years wouldnt be enough time for decay to kick in

2 years spreading such a compound (it's acidic Meth Hcl) over your teeth without brushing constantly and having good oral hygiene is plenty of time.

2 years for me smoking cigarettes, using meth twice and, not the greatest oral hygiene led to a root canal and crown after massive pain - reminds me I should go brush my teethies :)

I also wondered whether the PEG in e-cigs helped, as it was my upper left canine, right where I hold my ecig, a PEG is a hell of a solvent. Dunno about on tooth enamel though.

^^^this is right too 2 years of smoking and not asking the proper precautions every time you smoke is plenty of time for Meth to wreak havoc

Just look at those before and after shots of Meth heads they show to kids in school they all got no teeth and basicly no mouth at all left after using for 6 months
Haha just kidding those are always exaggerated they ate kinda funny sometimes what a scare tactic it is to show that when there are lots of functional Meth heads out there who have all their teeth.
Brushing isn't always enough I recommend mouth wash 2-3 times a day along with brushing and flossing. Also using biotene really does help a lot.

Hi Tyrielle,

dry mouth can definitely lead to problems with teeth since saliva naturally washes away bacteria. I have an autoimmune disease and a lot of people in my support group deal with Sjogrens syndrome. They cannot produce saliva or tears. There are over the counter treatments and RX treatments as well. I don't know if your case is due to the acid in meth or the meth causing dry mouth but there are a lot of options, some OTC and RX that maybe your dentist can give you a prescription for.

Most of these OTC can be found in your local drug store: Oasis, Stoppers4, Biotene (as Trainspotter already mentioned) and Mouth Kote.
I think the RX one is called Saliva.

I am on a boatload of meds for my condition and I definitely notice dry mouth from some of them, so I try to brush 2x's a day and chew a lot of sugarless gum.

Good luck to you :)

I don't know if I'd want to be squirting an Rxed liquid into my mouth brand named "Saliva," lol ;)

2 years spreading such a compound (it's acidic Meth Hcl) over your teeth without brushing constantly and having good oral hygiene is plenty of time.

2 years for me smoking cigarettes, using meth twice and, not the greatest oral hygiene led to a root canal and crown after massive pain - reminds me I should go brush my teethies :)

I also wondered whether the PEG in e-cigs helped, as it was my upper left canine, right where I hold my ecig, a PEG is a hell of a solvent. Dunno about on tooth enamel though.
They are all right. All I take is adderall and I have damage each time I go to the dentist, which is like every 3-4 months. He is so frustrated and I need so much work done, it is just crazy. He says he has patched me up as much as he can, now we need implants and/or partials and crowns. He has been able to keep the ones I have looking decent, thankfully. All the products are great, but the dentist said just plain water, and hold it in your mouth as long as you can, as often as you can. Of course brushing and flossing or you are going to lose those teeth FAST

Newb question...smoking meth I understand but why would adderall damage your teeth so bad? I hear a lot of people say dry mouth but if dry mouth is that bad then why aren't long term marijuana users effected? I've only smoked meth once but I am a 4 year semi-daily to daily cannabis user and take meds that give me dry mouth. I started using Biotene about 6 months ago as recommended by the lady that cleans my teeth. I recently switched to ACT dry mouth and it seems to work just as good and it's cheaper.

IDK about meth, but I do know opiates are terrible for your teeth and apparently it doesnt matter if you brush and floss 4x a day, as a pharmacist once told me the damage comes from within, due to drug use, not topically.

Personally from methadone and heroin use, my teeth are in terrible shape, ever since Ive been on opiates Ive been loosing teeth year after year, I have a partial up top, only have 3 teeth left and they are getting bad too, so before long I will be with full dentures before Im 40 yrs old.

s a pharmacist once told me the damage comes from within, due to drug use, not topically.

A vast oversimplification. It comes from both.

But also, neither.

If you are a chronic pain patient, and have good oral hygiene, no amount of rxed morphine is going to change that.

Hello,

I work as a dental assistant and I'm in school to become a hygienist(one who cleans your teeth). I would HIGHLY RECOOMMEND you go to a dentist/hygienist for a thorough cleaning. Teeth cleanings should be once every six months if you have insurance, and even if you don't GET IT DONE. You were blessed with teeth and don't ruin them because they are so imperative. I've seen so many adults coming in saying " I wish I would have taken care of these when I was younger". You don't want dentures... dentures are a pain in the ass and hell.. Nothing is better than your natural teeth. Even a partial denture sucks. Trust me I see it every day. If I was you I would schedule an appointment ASAP. You're already deteriorating your body with meth so don't bring your teeth down with you. You don't realize what you got till its gone and I mean that with your teeth. If work needs to be done like crowns, root canals, posts, fillings, DO IT. it will help you in the long run. I promise you that.

GOOD LUCK! and make an appointment!

^^

Did you maintain good oral hygiene? Brushing your teeth, etc?

^^^He is absolutely right. Dry mouth leads to tooth decay. I already posted down here already with advice but it's a serious issues especially in older adults who are on a lot of medication. I don't know if your on any specific medications which would lead to tooth decay but the meth certainly is not helping. You may think no damage is done but X-rays show a lot more of what is really happening in your mouth. You need to AT LEAST brush 2x a day and maintain flossing at least every other day. And it's okay if your gums bleed. You need to floss up to your gum line. If you visit a dentist and ask about dry mouth there are prescriptions and products you can use to help yourself. Trust me you want your teeth to last.

IDK about meth, but I do know opiates are terrible for your teeth and apparently it doesnt matter if you brush and floss 4x a day, as a pharmacist once told me the damage comes from within, due to drug use, not topically.

Personally from methadone and heroin use, my teeth are in terrible shape, ever since Ive been on opiates Ive been loosing teeth year after year, I have a partial up top, only have 3 teeth left and they are getting bad too, so before long I will be with full dentures before Im 40 yrs old.

6 m
Hey I work in the dental field and I'd like to help you here. Are you using toothpaste with fluoride. That is important. Are you getting regularly 6 months cleanings?? No offense, but your almost 40 with a partial that is so young.. You need to save those bottom teeth ITS SO IMPORTANT. a lower denture is HELL and i truly mean it. trust me I've seen it. Patients bitch and bitch and HATE IT. There is never enough suction to keep them down, they'll be flopping around & you will constantly have to be paying for a reline. If you lose those bottoms your better off getting a bone graft with some implants in it to support the lower denture and help with suction. Upper dentures are easier to maintain but lower is no guarantee. You will HATE it. take care of those teeth!!! Sorry for piping in I'm just so passionate about the career I am pursuing and want to help you.

That's a myth about methadone doing that to your teeth

That's a myth about methadone doing that to your teeth

His teeth were in terrible shape from methadone/heroin because of his care of them not the drugs, but I think he realizes that.

As I said about his pharmacist, it's a vast oversimplification, there are the drugs effects, and then how the drugs make you behave/take care of your body/teeth/mind.

BTW going for my dental checkup tomorrow. Got insurance online for 15$ a month, come on guys, I don't have a job. That's a free cleaning and checkup/xrays and whatnot (2x year free), cause I ponied up the 15$ a month (which saved me 2k already on a root canal).

Get dental insurance if you can't afford health insurance. It's a damn good investment - wish I had done it sooner, I may have not even needed that root canal!