• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tramadol detox

Gcalder

Greenlighter
Been on high doses of tramadol for over a year and addicted to codeine for years before, in between using tramadol for large spells. Made the call 4 weeks ago to the local addiction centre. I'm starting some sort of buprenorphine tomorrow and I have no clue what to expect, does anybody have a similar situation or story ? I tried all the tapering etc etc and I just can't kick it myself. I have my last 2 50mg tram to take later then I have a dull 24 hours in withdrawal which is scary but it's for the best in the long run. Any advice or similar story is appreciated

Often when we lose control in taking painkillers like tramadol, oxy or codeine the best thing is try to stabilize on suboxone.

Suboxone therapy is designed to keep you from wanting to stay in the lifestyle of abusing opioids. It tends to be a once a day dosing that is supposed to satisfy your opioid receptors enough for you to get a handle on your life and to help you not wanting to take multiple doses of pills every day.

Because tramadol is mostly considered a weaker opioid don't let the suboxone Dr. give you large doses a day. Heroin addicts sometimes need 16 mgs to stabilize but I don't think you will need more than between 2 and 4 mgs per day. Buprenorphine is strong ( stronger than most people give it credit for ) and taking more than is needed just creates problems.

Just be mindful that once you stabilize and get your life back in order to go ahead and wean off of it . Suboxone is a different animal to WD from. It's a slow process of getting down to a very low dose and then jumping.

Subs won't address the psychological reasons on why you abused the tramadol so most good sub Dr.s also recommend some therapy as well. And most people say subs don't satisfy their cravings ( like methadone does ) so be prepared to still want to take the tramadol.

Yeah I think that will be the most per day, right now I'm taking nearly 1g per day to keep withdrawals away it doesn't give me any euphoria that I craved or the focus and energy boost along with chilled effect. So I'm needing off it for good for my mental health and financially so I'm hoping it's the correct step because I do need help

Well, if it's any consolation, bupe should take care of tram withdrawals nicely.

1g of tramadol per day sounds pretty dangerous, my friend. From a seizure/serotonin syndrome perspective.

Good for you for seeking help. You can do this!

Because tramadol is mostly considered a weaker opioid don't let the suboxone Dr. give you large doses a day. Heroin addicts sometimes need 16 mgs to stabilize but I don't think you will need more than between 2 and 4 mgs per day. Buprenorphine is strong ( stronger than most people give it credit for ) and taking more than is needed just creates problems.
I second this. Take only what you really feel like you need.

Be prepared for SSRI withdrawal symptoms when switching to suboxone. Tramadol is both an opioid and an snri, and both aspects produce dependence.

I'm not sure it would be worth it to substitute a prescribed ssri/snri, but it might be something to consider if you are at your wits end and the suboxone doesnt help.

Otherwise strap in for classical ssri discontinuation symptoms (I'd even say there could be merit in staying on the suboxone until the ssri withdrawals fade, so that you can fight each withdrawal one at a time).

Struggled badly till my appointment, they gave me a 8mg wafer because of the amount of tramadol I'm taking, I will attend the pharmacy everyday for the next 2 weeks for my medication. I was in severe withdrawals the doc said that's why 8mg dosage. But I will be careful and let him know if that's far too much. Took the wafer about 16.20 and now I'm feeling alot better, that's the hard bit done I think. Don't want to go through that again

Hi. I've been addicted to tramadol for the better part of 6 years. During the last 2 to 3 years i was up to 1000 mgs a day. About a month ago I told my Dr about it and was put on suboxone I take about an 8mg strip a day sometimes a little more and more recently just started zoloft. How has the subs been working for you? I haven't had any classic withdrawal symptoms. I haven't really had any cravings for the trams at all,, but psychologically it's been a nightmare really I'd prefer the physical withdrawal symptoms lol. I just feel like I can't be happy about anything really super depressed and alot of anxiety. Worried about possible permanent damage that's been done. Just wondered what your experience has been so far not alot of people to talk to about recovery from this particular drug. Might be useful to stay in touch. Hope all is well with your recover
Hi, glad you took that step aswell. My story is kinda similar it started with codeine then tramadol in-between codeine for years then codeine would not work because the tram so ended up stuck on tramadol. I'm prescribed 12mg espranor per day. I'm in the UK so it's a kind of new wafer that's supposed to have a higher bioavailability but reading up its not been great for people who have tried the tablet or sublingual form. It's quite awkward to take imo. I'm stable on this dose but some days I feel a little more anxious or low mood than other, I do take a small amount or diazepam on the odd occasion if I need to. I also starter cbd to try help me with it all aswell. I don't have any real cravings or withdrawals at all which is good of course. I don't think anything is permanently damaged the brain and body is quite a resilient thing and it will take time to get the normal way of thinking etc, I keep busy at work during the day then take my prescription around 4pm and try to keep it stable. I am slowly getting myself back into doing things I love and enjoy but some days I can't be bothered that's normal. Alot of people told me not to touch sub but I really didn't have a choice I needed help and so far it's been a help, not a miracle or this great high. In my mind I don't see how people enjoy this drug so I feel I can get myself off this in the right time whenever that is. Slow and steady keep at it. And try do things you enjoy even small amounts at a time. Some days I can feel panicky no doubt and I feel I need to get home but I'm sure this is just my brain trying to reset after a good few years of abuse. Don't force too much on yourself and if you need advice and I can help then don't hesitate. Hope all goes well

Good luck… this is my second attempt 5 years on it tapered down to 100mg a day stopped 8 days ago … pretty brutal ! last time managed 27 days but the depression was to much, been using ant-inflammatorys for the physical symptoms! im not sleeping and very edgy but feel like I’m really done this time it was fun at first but it’s stole the last 2 years of my life. I’ve been told it can be 6 months before I’ll feel normal again which I can well believe

Good luck… this is my second attempt 5 years on it tapered down to 100mg a day stopped 8 days ago … pretty brutal ! last time managed 27 days but the depression was to much, been using ant-inflammatorys for the physical symptoms! im not sleeping and very edgy but feel like I’m really done this time it was fun at first but it’s stole the last 2 years of my life. I’ve been told it can be 6 months before I’ll feel normal again which I can well believe
Gabapentin works like a charm for quitting tram.