• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids TRIGGER ⛔️ FENTANYL WITHDRAWALS?

Norwegianmutt

Greenlighter
So this past Wednesday, my boyfriend tried to overdose on fentanyl. He survived but has been pretty tired and sleepy since then. Today, he’s been throwing up a lot and feels extreme nausea and pain. I’m naive when it comes to drugs so I’m not sure if something from that fentanyl is causing him this pain. Like withdrawals or something in that nature? He doesn’t think so since it was Wednesday that he took it and has been fine until now. But again, ignorance with this kind of stuff.

If he has been using fentanyl with any consistency a certain degree of withdrawal is unavoidable. How long was he using it?

Was he hospitalized? Intubated? Could be a post intubation syndrome if he was intubated (which is probably unlikely)

If he has been using fentanyl with any consistency a certain degree of withdrawal is unavoidable. How long was he using it?

Was he hospitalized? Intubated? Could be a post intubation syndrome if he was intubated (which is probably unlikely)
It was his first time using fentanyl. He’s had substance abuse since he was 22, he’s 28 now. He drug of choice is meth but he’s used almost everything under the Sun. He wasn’t hospitalized but he said he used enough that he thought he would overdose but did not.

It was his first time using fentanyl. He’s had substance abuse since he was 22, he’s 28 now. He drug of choice is meth but he’s used almost everything under the Sun. He wasn’t hospitalized but he said he used enough that he thought he would overdose but did not.
it would be extremely unusual for him to be sick after 4 days of a single drug overdose/exposure, what you describe seems like normal opioid withdrawal. Are you sure that was his first time using it? I hate to say it but if he is sick and unfunctional for 2-4 days of being sober it sounds an awful lot like withdrawal, addiction. That would only occur after prolonged daily use.

but we can only speculate, if he truly did overdose-- why no doctor? Opioid overdoses the person simply goes mostly unconscious and stops breathing/agonal breathing. If he is experiencing severe symptoms after an acute overdose 4 days later, and it was NOT withdrawal, I would blame that on more serious non-drug related conditions.

my heart tells me he may be doing more drugs than he tells you, but hey, I'm paranoid and don't want to make you think something that isn't true, I'm just going off what I read here, it could be something totally different

I highly suggest you keep an eye on him and/or go to the doctor again

people who OD on fentanyl do not feel bad 4 days later unless something is very wrong or some damage was done. Most junkies who OD and revived are right back at it within several hours and feel relatively normal.

pure speculation: but it's possible he is hiding a drug habit from you

(also, don't worry about triggers on this website, lol)

Last edited:
it would be extremely unusual for him to be sick after 4 days of a single drug overdose/exposure, what you describe seems like normal opioid withdrawal. Are you sure that was his first time using it? I hate to say it but if he is sick and unfunctional for 2-4 days of being sober it sounds an awful lot like withdrawal, addiction. That would only occur after prolonged daily use.

but we can only speculate, if he truly did overdose-- why no doctor? Opioid overdoses the person simply goes mostly unconscious and stops breathing/agonal breathing. If he is experiencing severe symptoms after an acute overdose 4 days later, and it was NOT withdrawal, I would blame that on more serious non-drug related conditions.

my heart tells me he may be doing more drugs than he tells you, but hey, I'm paranoid and don't want to make you think something that isn't true, I'm just going off what I read here, it could be something totally different

people who OD on fentanyl do not feel bad 4 days later unless something is very wrong or some damage was done. Most junkies who OD and revived are right back at it within several hours and feel relatively normal.

Oh no, he’s definitely a drug addict. He never hid that from me. He’s been trying to recover for a year now. Drug of choice is meth but this was his first time on fentanyl. He has been doing meth for the last two months and then tried to overdose on fentanyl and was woken up by two people performing CPR and he took off running. I didn’t know about it till after the incident happened, especially the meth use for the last two months.

Oh no, he’s definitely a drug addict. He never hid that from me. He’s been trying to recover for a year now. Drug of choice is meth but this was his first time on fentanyl. He has been doing meth for the last two months and then tried to overdose on fentanyl and was woken up by two people performing CPR and he took off running. I didn’t know about it till after the incident happened, especially the meth use for the last two months.
He "tried" to OD on fent? Was he trying to commit suicide?

Does his meth addiction have him feeling suicidal? A 19 year old in my neighborhood hung himself because he saw no way out. He couldn't stop using meth. He tried for a year to quit and never could. He was so young that he didn't realize he could get professional help and he was desperate to escape the clutches of meth.

You might have to intervene with his family if you meant that he " tried" to OD on purpose. People hate being rats but I would rather rat them out than live with their death on my conscience.

Yes I agree with everything you said. You should maybe talk to your boyfriend about how much opioids he is using. I've been through the same kind of thing with my boyfriend. Also that doesn't sound at all like an overdose. From what you described he definitely did not over dose. A person who over doses is simply not able to say that they think they took enough to over dose and call it an over dose. They won't be conscious. I can appreciate the fact that you said you have no experience with drugs other then what you learned from your boyfriend but I think he is telling you what he wants you to believe. I hope you don't aquire any experience with drugs good luck to you I wish you well

Having flu like symptoms is only a small part of opiate withdrawal. I assume all is well, it's been 8 months... but for the lost girlfriend or friend in the same situation 》》》》》》

If he is going through withdrawal symptoms he will know it and he will likely let you know as well. Being dope sick is different for everyone. There are many similarities, but the if it is a first time experience it may be fairly mild. Determining the drug of choice is the first major factor, then how much they used per dose is kind of multiplied by how frequently it was taken by the route of administration (oral, vaporize to inhale, nasal, iv ect) You say this was his first Fentanyl does, but what other drugs did he take? Any pill or capsule purchased from the street as Molly or Meth may have Fentanyl and it is assumed all other opiates purchased are cut with Fentanyl is not exclusively Fentanyl. If he is willing to stay in one place for a couple days, just take care of him like as if he has the flu. If his mood changes then you may need to remove yourself from the situation. Good luck to any well meaning friends and girlfriends that find this in the future. Call 911 if you find yourself in an emergency, you will not be charged and you could save a life.

Last edited: