• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to understand low blood tests.

xxsicknessxx

Bluelighter
My vit d is low. Last month it was 18 this month it's at 22 but I take vit d every day. So if the cost of low but d is tired, weak bones, depression. If I'm taking vit d but my vit is still medically low what happenes?
im asking because I wonder if taking the multi every day will counter all the negative stuff that happens from it being low so shoulda I expect to feel better when my vit d is back to normal at 40 or should I already feel normal because my body's getting plenty of vit d a day I take 50:000 a day. Which is a lot but whatever my doctor says.

22ng/mL isn't especially deficient and shouldn't be symptomatic. Probably wouldn't be symptomatic. What were your blood calcium levels? Are you overweight?

Gonna move this since this isn't about drugs.

I just didn't think it was important enough for the healthy form.Yes my calcium dropped last month it's 8.3 I dunno how it went down, well I've been working on everything for a year now taking like 25 pills a day I had gastric bypass and I absorb less then half everything I eat. Like what I'm asking is if the 8 low blood tests and 5 high tests in looking at if any of them were systematic would taking vitamin pills every day solve that problem. Or does very fact that there low mean that taking vitamis might not help the problems in having...

I must be suffering a little from all the stuff wrong I've come along way but should I assume I feel 100% just because I'm taking replacement stuff for everything in low on.. anyways my real problem is i don't get how anything could go down or get worse with all my work I'm doing.

Then again I smoke pot and I work two days a week. Yes sometimes 5 days 6 hours. Dunno why that matters.

I worry that I'm missing something. With all the doctors I see they lead me to believe I should just sit and wait for my body to get better while taking pills.. my secret hope it's my feet pain will be good away and then I can stop taking Norcos.. I worry that there effecting my memory.. Though that's ridiculous to be considering the amount of drugs I used back before I got sober. So I'm barley taking anything fun anymore. I'm happy to have it though. Praise Allah.. and Jesus.

Yea sitting, waiting and taking pills is how they keep folks coming back. The doctors don’t do it maliciously but the whole for profit system makes it so.. It’s the last thing you wanna do.

Supplement sources often are in forms hard for our bodies to take in. Start upping the foods you eat which naturally contain Vit D and make a big effort to take a 30min walk outside each day with as much skin showing as weather will allow.

Foods rich in Vit D; meat/fish, outdoor mushrooms, and eggs. I personally like the mushrooms as they contain a fair amount usually and can be snuck into many dishes. I’d find myself a ton of yellow chanterelles, dry them then use them in whatever.

I find it interesting too that nature provides a Vit D high food that’s easily dried and preserved right before the cold months..

-GC

Or does very fact that there low mean that taking vitamis might not help the problems in having...
Correct me if I'm wrong but, IIRC, your issues seemed a bit more complex than a simple vitamin deficiency. Which is not to say that getting enough of whatever you're lacking won't help you improve your symptoms (or even get rid of some of them).
But you did have a copper deficiency right? How are your copper levels now?

Overall, it's true that diet is much more important than supplements, you can't really replace good food with pills.
Also, not all supplements are created equal, it really depends on the brand and the micronutrient (vitamin, mineral, etc...) in question. For instance, "cheap" magnesium supplements usually contain magnesium oxide which has a super low bioavailibility, so they're pretty much worthless (instead, one should take a more bioavailable form such as chelated magnesium or even magnesium chloride). Another example are multivitamins that contain pro-oxidant minerals (like iron and copper) mixed with "antioxidants" like vitamin C and vitamin E, those should generally be avoided as well.

Some of those 25 pills you're taking may also be affecting the absorption of one or more micronutrients, or making them less effective.

Then again I smoke pot and I work two days a week. Yes sometimes 5 days 6 hours. Dunno why that matters.
I don't think that would have a negative impact on your vitamin D levels.

22ng/ml is not deficient, in fact it is within the normal range for an adult.

As @G_Chem said, the best way to get vitamins and minerals is through food and having a healthy balanced diet, and the best way to improve your vitamin D level is with natural sunlight.
I understand the vitamin absorption issue with your gastric bypass surgery though, so yes I understand that supplements may be necessary. However yeah...vit d level of 22 is not actually "deficient".