Recruiting (Updated, now with survey option) How do you feel about algorithms analyzing your Bluelight data?

Skeebs

Bluelighter
Update March 22, 2022

Thank you to everyone who participated in the interview described below. In order to make it easier for more people to share their perspectives, we have added an option to complete a survey, rather than the interview. The survey will take approximately 10-15 minutes, and there will be an opportunity at the end to optionally provide an email address to be entered into a raffle to win one of two $25 Amazon gift cards.

Unlike the interviews, you will not be asked in the survey to provide your own Bluelight or other usernames. Any results you see depict random, anonymized members. No analysis will be conducted on your data, and we will not ask for usernames, demographics, or any other personal information whatsoever.

If you would like to take part in this survey, please use the following Qualtrics link. All responses are completely anonymous, and email addresses (if you choose to provide one) will not be linked to your survey responses.

https://lehigh.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8caTvv8sIiqBHOC

The motivation and background below remain relevant to the survey version. You are more than welcome (and encouraged!) to participate in the interview as well if you would like to talk with us in more detail. Please reach out to me by email or PM if you have any questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My name is Patrick Skeba and I’m a PhD student in computer science at Lehigh University (PA, USA) - you might remember me from another study I posted here a couple years ago. Have you ever wondered what sort of information is revealed by your Bluelight posts that a computer could uncover? Over the past year, my team and I have implemented an algorithm that can analyze the writing style of Bluelight posts and create a unique profile for each account. This can allow us to identify authors of anonymous posts, and even link accounts across websites with completely publicly available data.

Although these methods have been around for a number of years, not enough researchers have tried to understand how they might impact internet users' privacy. How do people feel about these systems who might actually be affected by them? Based on my previous interactions, I think Bluelighters are uniquely poised to offer valuable insights into the potential benefits and harms of these kinds of analyses.

In this interview, I'd like to know more about how and why you use Bluelight, in order to understand how these algorithms could affect you and the community. I'll also be sharing the results of several experiments we've run and looking for your feedback as to how we should interpret the findings and what possible applications and consequences you see. You'll also have the opportunity to (optionally) provide your own account names to see how your posts are analyzed.

This study has received approval from Lehigh University's Institutional Review Board (IRB). The interview should take about 30 minutes, and you will never be asked for any personally identifiable information. To allow you to remain anonymous, we will ask that you schedule a time for the interview and you will receive a link to a virtual conference room - no emails required. I plan to use our university's Zoom account for the interview, but if you would prefer a different service (for example, the anonymous site Talky.io) please contact me (pts217 at lehigh dot edu). With your permission, I will record audio of the interview, but video will never be recorded and you are not required to turn your camera on. If you provide your own usernames to Bluelight or Reddit (for the cross-site demonstration), any data we collect or analyses we perform will be used exclusively for your interview and will be destroyed afterwards.

You must be at least 18 years old to participate.

If you're interested, please follow this link to the consent form and pre-interview survey, where you'll also find more information about our lab and the study. Please share your questions in this thread, by private message, or by email. The signup process may be a little strange because of our IRB requirements, so I can make changes or add additional information to this thread if it becomes a problem.

Link to consent form and signup:
https://lehigh.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0cQzu8xCht7DNuS

Last edited:
Interested.
Is this akin to voice/speech/writing comparison/recognition? Must have a hellova CPU to handle all this info I/O.
I have reached the ripe age of IDGAF what who knows as someone already knows and may be able to school me on myself.

Interested.
Is this akin to voice/speech/writing comparison/recognition? Must have a hellova CPU to handle all this info I/O.
I have reached the ripe age of IDGAF what who knows as someone already knows and may be able to school me on myself.
It actually is a form of writing comparison, you're right on, but I'm running it on a dusty old lab computer. Sometimes I have to wait a while for the program to run, but the results are surprisingly strong without needing a supercomputer.

Im in but not sure how to zoom... guess there will be an invitation of some type? idk

When you complete the scheduling process, there will be a link to a Zoom conference. This conference should be inaccessible (I'll double check this) until the time you scheduled on YouCanBookMe, then I'll start the meeting.

I have no problem doing this one. One thing, on iOS I have a minor issue where I had to run through the consent and stuff after setting a time and getting a code. Not the biggest deal but I’m glad there wasn’t a long series of question on the forms preceding this.

I hope i het the call or something. installed zoom and all and have used it one with C.H but shoulda took a screenshot of date/time and do not remember a code. left op with an email addy so maybe i wont skip through the cracks like i always do. hahaha
anyway... i know mine is like 27 around mid day but this new windows 10 install i do not trust at all. stable but weird... kinda like me? lol
peace
they will come if it is sanctioned is it?

@Tronica i know you’ve commented on @Skeebs past studies. Just wondering if you and @neversickanymore have looked into this current one and could give BLs opinion?

Might help OP/BL.
I've spoken with Tronica about this project, and shared this recruitment post before making it. I won't speak for her, but will just say that I'm in contact and have followed proper procedures for both the acquisition of the data and these interviews.

I have no problem doing this one. One thing, on iOS I have a minor issue where I had to run through the consent and stuff after setting a time and getting a code. Not the biggest deal but I’m glad there wasn’t a long series of question on the forms preceding this.
Thank you for the feedback, I didn't do much testing on mobile but I'm glad it didn't slow you down too much. I strongly recommend using a desktop computer for the interview because it will ensure the demonstrations work correctly, but if that's not an option we'll find a way around it.

I hope i het the call or something. installed zoom and all and have used it one with C.H but shoulda took a screenshot of date/time and do not remember a code. left op with an email addy so maybe i wont skip through the cracks like i always do. hahaha
Sorry for the wonky signup process, our IRB didn't want us to collect email addresses so I needed to find a way to schedule the interviews without directly contacting people - not an easy task. But if you have the screenshot of the date/time and the zoom link, then just follow that link at the scheduled time and I should be there. I'll be as responsive as I can to this thread and any PMs/emails if any problems arise.

I've spoken with Tronica about this project, and shared this recruitment post before making it. I won't speak for her, but will just say that I'm in contact and have followed proper procedures for both the acquisition of the data and these interviews.
My comment was more about the fact that if this is BL backed then it might be good to comment on your post just to state that.

Yes, I do realise you have followed procedures, I have read into your previous studies.

What I'd like to know is if this algo. is capable of generating a psychological profile based on posts here! If that be the case: I'd pay money to see a few psychological profiles of selected members here! :ROFLMAO:

Would love to see mine. But nah. I don't want to see it that badly so as to have to register and take part. I'm pretty sure that the contents of my posts are being analyzed already. And there's nothing else out there to match them to anyway.

I feel that anonymity is rapidly becoming a thing of the past...
"Becoming"? I think it's been long gone already. You ever noted the number of temporary and log files and history files that remain on a PC after a session? And those are just the obvious ones that most of these cleaners find and delete when run and when used.

I'm not quite sure as to whether or not this idea is more, less, or as frightening as image recognition and image searches though.

I'll be as responsive as I can to this thread and any PMs/emails if any problems arise.
I did send a pm with an email cause i did not take a screenshot but think it is wednesday before noon. Should I resign up as I do not remember any zoom code and the following is a little vague:
then I'll start the meeting
zoom link, then just follow that link at the scheduled time and I should be there.
Do we zoom you or do you zoom us? Who pushes the go button on zoom?
I do not have a link to call....
Ya have my email in yer inbox maybe we can get the meeting straight idk.

Man I shoulda just say in the back of the class but no I had to raise my hand and get all pom pom-ish. Already looking to be over my head guess we will see....

What I'd like to know is if this algo. is capable of generating a psychological profile based on posts here! If that be the case: I'd pay money to see a few psychological profiles of selected members here! :ROFLMAO:

Would love to see mine. But nah. I don't want to see it that badly so as to have to register and take part. I'm pretty sure that the contents of my posts are being analyzed already. And there's nothing else out there to match them to anyway.
Look into @Skeebs previous research of Bluelight’s users.