• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Using cannabis for insomnia - is it more powerful than, Melatonin/Chamomile/Valerian?

Melatonin is the most under-rated neuroendocrine hormone.
Yes, it doesnt work to induce sleep or mantain sleep compared to benzodiazepines, but this hormone has effects that go beyond sleep, which are not talked about.

It is a true anti-aging compound, in every sense of the word, it's the most potent antioxidant known to man, superior in antioxidant activie than than the powerful class of drugs called mitochondria anti-oxidants, which work by accumulating into the mitochondria site which is where free radicals and reactive oxydative species (ROS) are generated.
I'm talking more specifically about SKQ1, MitoQ, MitoTempo, MitoE, JP4-039, XJB-5-131, SS31, pan NOX inhibitors like APX-115. (Qo10 actually increases free radical production, specially in cell cultures derived from old people)

Melatonin besides being superior to these compounds, it also never transforms into a pro-oxidant after reacting with free-radicals (of any kind). Something Vitamin C or α-Tocopherol lack because they are actually pro-oxidants not antioxidants, so dont eat too much vegerables they arent good for you. These classic antioxidants deplete the glutathione stores, an endogenous antioxidant enzym which keeps ROS low. Melatonin besides of not transforming into a pro-oxidant, it also stimulates the increase of endogenous antioxidant enzyms natural to the cells, to young levels.

And the metabolites that are created from melatonin reacting with free radicals are actually as potent or more portent than melatonin itself. This observation has was defined as the free radical scavenging cascade reaction of the melatonin family.
From this point of view, melatonin can be considered a suicidal or terminal antioxidant which distinguishes it from the opportunistic antioxidants.

Some considerations should be given, the formulation of the drug must be extended-release, with a dosage of 2mg-5mg range, in case you don't want wake up with serum levels of melatonin, its up to you tho.

Well I know this is a tangent to this post topic, but i wanted to melatoninpilling you guys.

Extended release formulation.

Didn't know it was a thing.

I tried a 3 mg melatonin tablet recently, it was like a shotgun to the back of the head.
Then I awoke at 4 am feeling awful.

Extended release formulation.

Didn't know it was a thing.

I tried a 3 mg melatonin tablet recently, it was like a shotgun to the back of the head.
Then I awoke at 4 am feeling awful.

Plasma concentrations of melatonin after 2 mg taken orally as a slow-release preparation (this is not pharma grade melatonin, its OTC melatonin, which is a total mess) Each line represents a different person, and it is taken without food at night before sleep.

mel.png

This variation means it's a guess how you react to melatonin formulations that are not pharma grade and bought as OTC. Which explains why you had such a bad reaction and woke up during the night. This is not how melatonin is released naturally.

Circadin 2mg is pharma grade melatonin and does not create this variation from people to people.

I am intrigued. Which ROA are you talking about? I have 400mcg melatonin tablets weighing 150 mg each, so it wouldn't be hard snorting one. Does sleep inducing effect increase with the dosage increase? that's usually not the case with oral route.
I've tried both snorting (2mg) and vaporization (very small amounts), and I can for sure testify that they do indeed work with rather quick onset. I'd do it way more often if melatonin wouldn't have the nasty habit of fucking up your sleep the following night.

Other options:

- chamomile
- Valerian
- l-tryptophan
- 5HTp

Anyone additional experience with these?

In contrast to melatonin/cannabis, effective/ineffective etc.?

I tried valerian and chamomile last night, both at high dose.

Total waste of time.

They are moderately relaxing but for serious insomnia, nothing doing.

Guys take Trazadone 50mg or 25mg before going to bed, start with 25mg and go up to 50mg depending on how you react and feel. Don't take more than 50mg, unless you really are a bad responder.

It's sedating during the night, while stimulating during the day.

Cannabis is great for sleep however it does cause you to have lower sleep quality. Ever wonder why you don't dream on weed?
That would be a great treat not dreaming on Weed.

My PTSD dreams i'd rather avoid. As a sleep aid its hit or miss.
One time, especially when I awake at night unable to fall back again to sleep while in stressful situation's. more then once i was awake two day's without taking stimulant's and Weed did nothing more then ease some of the mental pain. But sometimes it worked.

In my case if it works, and it does that better then the herb's and melatonine you mentioned. I have a good sleep filled with dreams, not all of em are nice one's.

Other options:

- chamomile
- Valerian
- l-tryptophan
- 5HTp

Anyone additional experience with these?

In contrast to melatonin/cannabis, effective/ineffective etc.?
Mulungu worked very well. but that was very long ago I had that.

Last edited:
Melatonin doesn't do much for me at all. At least a few cones will knock me flat, but I threw my melatonin script in the bin. Total waste of time and money.

Chamomile Tea in a steam inhaler actually works pretty well, you can drink some too after. Just don't drink the one you used in the inhaler

I cant speak for this product but am thinking of purchasing some. black seed oil.

About Mulungu the Wiki say's:

"It appears to have anxiolytic effects in animal models of anxiety. Further studies suggest that the anxiolytic effects are only reproducible with the whole extract of Erythrina Mulungu but not with the pure alkaloids."

So pure Erythravine, the main alkaloid. Wouldn't work but the whole spectrum extract or whole herb would. Mysterious.

From my perception i don't think that cannabis has particulary sedative functions, i assimilate it to psychedelics substances, but more lightly (like in the Leary' scale), so i guess it just accentuate your sensations, but it depends on how you feel when you smoke. 1 year ago, I was smoking a spliff and then went to sleep for an hour or two, and i was redoing this several times a day till the night where i slept "for good", cool days^^. This was a very relaxing high, no parano, just felt sleepy. Now I can't sleep during the day no matter how much i smoke, the sedative effect is way more absent, the parano and the stress are often almost unbearable, and my nights as just as good and as long as if i haven't smoked.

melatonin-OTC.png

Analysis of the real content of Melatonin OTC formulations (which you can buy on amazon or pharmacy OTC) which are not regulated.

I have had insomnia for decades. Smoking/vaping pot or eating it even pure Indica types, did not help unless I had been drinking beer with hops, and was super drunk and stoned.

Chamomile is relaxing, as is rooibos but you have to drink at least 2-3 glasses of it. Valerian root and kava kava were useless. Melatonin and vitamin B3 gave me very vivid lucid dreams but I took more than one tablet of each, and it was not really relaxing.

Green tea with L-theanine works the best for me but if I drink too much I cannot stay asleep. I never took the supplements people buy.

Cannabis for sleep is almost a staple part of modern counter culture.

I've read anecdotes (as we all have) of it being a remarkable hypnotic and sleep aid.

But, stacked up against a common and effective sleep aid like melatonin (or herbs like chamomile/valerian), how does it really perform?

Anyone tried both, or all?

Nano full spectrum CBD is very mood stabilizing, If you get some Absynthe with high wormwood content helps