• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Using cannabis for insomnia - is it more powerful than, Melatonin/Chamomile/Valerian?

Absinthe contains a GABA-A antagonist which would offset the ethanol (thus less sedating as you mentioned). In high school i gave a capsule full of wormwood oil to a friend of mine (i was too afraid to consume it myself). Should have had a good amount of thujone. Good thing he didn't have a seizure.
They do offer leftover remain's of the original. Absinth.

The one bottle that actually seemed like the real thing, did seem less sedating. That probably explain's it.

It also had marked influence on perception, seemed to enhance it. Which could have been placebo.

Nano full spectrum CBD is very mood stabilizing, If you get some Absynthe with high wormwood content helps
Haha my friend made absinthe before with wormwood and everclear or grain alcohol.

I did not drink any but my friends that did got super drunk. I did smoke some wormwood, it is relaxing, sort of changes your perception like lots of pot or hash can but in a different way, and goes well with Indica pot.

Oh wow - so it kinda nullified it...but those things were like rolling around on the ground and shit too so theres a few variables here
I actually found them right on my driveway, within inches of each other in the same crack in the cement. Thing was, that spot was like 8 feet away from where I dropped it so it took a while for me to expand my search in desperation.

I think the main thing was that I fell asleep and woke up on a come-down. Shit was... strange when I woke up. Blood red, vision blurry, depth perception all funky. I remember just laying there on the couch and staring up at the patterns on the ceiling before falling back to sleep. Fuckers were like upside-down mountain ranges, it was pretty cool.

But other than that, yeah, I wouldn't really recommend.

Haha my friend made absinthe before with wormwood and everclear or grain alcohol.

I did not drink any but my friends that did got super drunk. I did smoke some wormwood, it is relaxing, sort of changes your perception like lots of pot or hash can but in a different way, and goes well with Indica pot.
As my first experience was in my younger year's. It was when I didn't consume Alcohol as a drug.

In the case of Absentha it was a mere carrier, of 68% proof. Which would undoubtedly would make me drunk as fuck. but i kept it two glasses max.

Saying that while in a taper is a bit of ironic. I am truly addicted to ethanol, worse then any drug i ever got addicted. and certainly way less rewarding.

weird that in my country sedating anti- Histamine's are not OTC. Prescription only. Not that they would be useful for me, way past the point these drug's put me out. At least if i gouge the effect Mirtazepine has on me no, none.

Last edited:
As my first experience was in my younger year's. It was when I didn't consume Alcohol as a drug.

In the case of Absentha it was a mere carrier, of 68% proof. Which would undoubtedly would make me drunk as fuck. but i kept it two glasses max.

Saying that while in a taper is a bit of ironic. I am truly addicted to ethanol, worse then any drug i ever got addicted. and certainly way less rewarding.

weird that in my country sedating anti- Histamine's are not OTC. Prescription only. Not that they would be useful for me, way past the point these drug's put me out. At least if i gouge the effect Mirtazepine has on me no, none.
So you cannot get any antihistamines? I take Cetirizine for pollen allergies, and it can help me sleep or stay asleep.

I have taken Fexofenadine for pollen allergies and it sort of does the same thing.

Mirtazapine rarely fails to provide a good nights' sleep. 60mg is my nightly dose, taken around 7:45-8:00pm.

Works really well for depression too, but that's not as good as it used to be, probably because I don't exercise as much as I used to, and I need to get back into a decent routine. Might need to order an Echo stationary bike from Rougue. Might help get me out of this rut of negativity.

I think it can help for sure, depending on the strain. Sometimes cannabis is more activating for me. Usually though if I smoke enough of it I'll get tired.

The possibilities of using cannabis as a sleeping pill have been studied for a long time - doctors themselves would be happy to replace potent drugs with more gentle drugs, but nature ordered otherwise. I started ordering cannabis from one website, it helps me just to relax before bed. During REM sleep, while we dream, the brain installs updates and puts the impressions of the day on the shelves of long-term memory. As a result, the nervous system does not have time to recover and begins to malfunction. If you are over 40, you can use these herbs and oils as sleeping pills, but not on a regular basis.
My memory has gone to pot since vaping myself to sleep every night :oops:

REM sleep is adversely affected by being stoned so you're getting more sleep and possibly more REM, but that's not a given.

Considering medical cannabis for improving sleep quality is an effective option to deal with, but essentially it requires medical professional’s advice. Not everyone will experience the exact impact of cannabis consumption, and self-medicating the medical marijuana treatment can increase the risk factors. You need to contact a medical doctor and discuss the need to access the treatment.
Sure who needs a doctor when we got Google, right? 🤣🤣🤣

I use cannabis nightly but it does not help my sleep. It makes it harder for me to fall asleep.

It might make it easier to stay asleep though, that is unclear however. I find all forms of cannabis stimulating.

I too find cannabis far to stimulating to use as a sleep aid. I need a solid 4-5hrs after smoking before I can sleep (much longer with edibles). See last night: smoke at 7pm and forced myself to sleep sometime shortly after 12 am (a few hrs after my normal bed time)

For me melatonin and magnesium bisglycinate 30-60min before bed are heaps more conducive to help me sleep

Depends on the strain too. White widow allows me ten hours sleep and I wake up happy. Last night I had Critical CBD which is higher in THC despite the name. Couldn't sleep, wide awake, eventually slept 7 hours which is not as much as usual and I'd some blue lotus concentrate to try too, didnt notice anything from that at all, very hard to fathom why blue lotus is illegal in the UK when it does shit all.

Last edited:
I find weed (and CBD) weirdly stimulating at higher dosages and my mind is racing fast af. Lower dosages help better, especially if you're not used to things like benzos.

I find weed (and CBD) weirdly stimulating at higher dosages and my mind is racing fast af. Lower dosages help better, especially if you're not used to things like benzos.
depends on the strain though right?
All sativas seem to stimulate my mind and can keep me awake where as indica is like tucking me into bed and i just relax better

Cannabis is great for GETTING to sleep.... but it actually disrupts sleep cycles and prevents REM sleep just like alcohol (but to a lower degree).. Low quality sleep.

Ever wonder why you don't dream if you smoke weed before bed?....

In terms of 'sleep aids' it's really harmless, but it's definitely not giving you the best quality sleep like a healthy lifestyle can.

Cannabis is great for GETTING to sleep.... but it actually disrupts sleep cycles and prevents REM sleep just like alcohol (but to a lower degree).. Low quality sleep.

Ever wonder why you don't dream if you smoke weed before bed?....

In terms of 'sleep aids' it's really harmless, but it's definitely not giving you the best quality sleep like a healthy lifestyle can.
Very Strain dependant for me that one and maybe others too, my biggest issue with insomnia is falling asleep can take me 2-3 hours unassisted and i find a sativa dominant strain can actually keep me awake for up to 4 before falling asleep
When i chopped my northern lights grow before i slept every single night for the first month which has never happened in my life

Hmm i haven't tried many strains, but the ones i did were for sleep related purposes (higher in CBD too) and they still make my thoughts racy. i think its up to every genetics.

Hmm i haven't tried many strains, but the ones i did were for sleep related purposes (higher in CBD too) and they still make my thoughts racy. i think its up to every genetics.
hey again so I am writing this after trying something last night, i used to take CBD oil years back from dutch natural healing and i would take many drops at once before bed so i assume a high dose of CBD 50mg+ , and it would help me to fall asleep
I just tried last night to vape a strain thats meant to be 22% CBD and <0.3% THC for sleep and used the same tactic, just do loads at once (i vaped just under 400mg: = approx 70mg CBD and it really did help me to fall asleep my racing thoughts slowed down a lot it knocked me out a bit like an anti psychotic did , bit groggy at first when i woke up but feeling awake within 15 minutes

Last edited: