• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Vitamin D Natural Way to Potentiate Opiates?

Beat It

Bluelighter
According to a recent study, data suggested that levels of Vitamin D could play a large role in how effective pain medications work. http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic...7/opiates-work

I thought that this would be an interesting topic to discuss for three reasons A) While it wouldn't necessary classify as a potentiator, it could be an interesting ingredient to add if you like to potentiate your opiates. B) It is very cheap, you can get it by just being in sunlight. %) C) From personal experience, I have always noticed that opiates seem more enjoyable during the summer/ more uplifting and euphoric. While my experience is just subjective, this could serve as a good explanation and would be worth experimenting with.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking while if you already have healthy levels of vitamin D this really won't make a difference but if you are deficient that your opiates strength could be greatly diminished. I have also noticed opiates tend to make me more sleepy during the winter and it makes me wonder if vitamin d levels could play a role in how your opiates effect you... whether they make you more energetic and talkative or more sleepy and sedated. :D

interesting.. i have heard someone in EADD (i am british) mooting the same about addicts and summers but gave the fact of it being warmer/easier veinal access as a possible reason (much higher % of i.v use and sun is rare here even in summer)

could well be possible though, my friend always seems to feel more stoned in direct sunlight - though he assumed this was blood-pressure related in some way. can vitamin D be acquired in any way other than sunlight?

It does come in supplement form ranging widely. However, from what I have read sunlight is the best source of it but if you live somewhere where there is not a lot of sunlight there are supplements available. Just google Vitamin D sources. I think I'm going to experiment with this a little and see if I experience any real difference. If anyone else does the same feel free to post the results, even if they don't experience any difference.

interesting.. i have heard someone in EADD (i am british) mooting the same about addicts and summers but gave the fact of it being warmer/easier veinal access as a possible reason (much higher % of i.v use and sun is rare here even in summer)

could well be possible though, my friend always seems to feel more stoned in direct sunlight - though he assumed this was blood-pressure related in some way. can vitamin D be acquired in any way other than sunlight?

I've never injected before personally but that would make sense.

I take vitamin D daily and it really has negligible effects on my pain killers. I'm a chronic pain patient though, this might work better for people who aren't as tolerant to opioid narcotics as I am. But even for acute/infrequent users, I doubt there will be any significant change, and doubt it has any effect on actual serum levels of opioids in the bloodstream, and I haven't heard of any relevant studies.

By no means would I call vitamin D a "potentiator". Regardless its an extremely important vitamin/supplement that most people should consider adding to their daily dose. I take coconut oil, peppermint oil, omega-3 fatty acids, multivitamins, vitamin D, milk thistle, and I might be forgetting something.

I take vitamin D daily and it really has negligible effects on my pain killers. I'm a chronic pain patient though, this might work better for people who aren't as tolerant to opioid narcotics as I am. But even for acute/infrequent users, I doubt there will be any significant change, and doubt it has any effect on actual serum levels of opioids in the bloodstream, and I haven't heard of any relevant studies.

By no means would I call vitamin D a "potentiator". Regardless its an extremely important vitamin/supplement that most people should consider adding to their daily dose. I take coconut oil, peppermint oil, omega-3 fatty acids, multivitamins, vitamin D, milk thistle, and I might be forgetting something.

^ I agreed that it wouldn't necessarily be a "potentiator." However, I wonder if Vitamin D might play some critical role in the mechanism of opiates. While we understand the way opiates act on a person to a certain extent, I'm sure we don't understand everything when it comes to the process. Perharps Vitamin D plays a critical role. I also heard of another study that found Vatamin D deficiencies being common in Sub patients. Sense the body releases more dopamine and other "happy" chemicals that is triggered by the presence of opiates perhaps it uses more vitamin D in the process as well sense vitamin D is actually a hormone.

I hope that makes sense. The study said that it found that the patients responded more to their pain killers but not necessarily that there was more opiates in their bloodstream.