• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Vyvanse and severe alcohol cravings!! Help!

camjua

Bluelighter
So I try to take breaks with vyvanse. I usually take 60mg vyvanse a day to keep away hunger(Not prescribed and I don't have ADD... I use it for weight loss and recreation). When I take vyvanse though I CRAVE alcohol. I normally have never craved alcohol in my life. I mean, I like it.. but I usually get gnarly hangovers. I drank at the most once or twice a week. I've posted before about this interesting phenomena.. If I take adderall or vyvanse.. I not only can drink a lot more, like 5-7 mixed drinks. but I am immune to hangovers. No headache, no nausea.. nothing. Before I started taking amps (about a month or so ago) If I drank even 3-5 mixed drinks (1-2 shots vodka the rest some sort of juice) I would be super drunk and usually would feel super nauseous. I'd even avoid drinking more than 5 at all costs and get anxious if I did.. because once I hit 6 or more.. I know for a fact I am going to be throwing up.. a lot. Just before taking amps, I drank 7 mixed drinks and threw up for about 5 hours straight.. dry heaving and camping the toilet. Now?? Even if I take the vyvanse at like noon.. and start drinking at 5 or 6 I can easily drink 5-7 drinks and experience no hangover.

Now here is my question. Why am I craving alcohol so badly? I literally dwell on wanting to drink. I have been giving in and nearly getting drunk (4-7 mixed drinks or 5-10 regular beers) almost every day taking a break once or twice a week. I mean.. when I say crave.. I mean CRAVE. It is all I think about throughout the day. I can't even take any vyvanse on the days I take a break because I know that I'll cave and drink. When I drink on a day I've used vyvanse.. I talk and talk and talk... and talk and talk.. I drive my friends crazy.. I can't shut the fuck up. I usually wake up around 11 and take the vyvanse then.. usually 60mg-90mg. I usually start drinking around 5 or 6... and drink till around 1 or 2 AM. Then I take seroquel (50-75mg) to attempt to sleep at around 5AM. usually before the seroquel hits I feel SUPER depressed and anxious. Mainly anxious because I look back and realized how much I annoyed my friends. So I honestly don't really like to drink with vyvanse or addies. I mean.. once a week or maybe 2 would be fine.. but I want to drink so badly I usually cave and drink.. which then I talk forever.. so then I piss off my friends lol.. Also wanted to add, seroquel works like a charm to knock me out. Never fails. Even if I am pretty amped.

So what's the deal? What is with this alcohol craving nonsense? Any ideas? Like is there a pharmacological reasoning behind this? Is this common? Anything I can do to reduce the craving? It honestly kind of scares me how much I crave alcohol. I've never craved alcohol in my life.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for dopamine releasers like vyvanse (just an extended release d-amp) to increase addictive personality traits. Personally, I tend to paly video games/surf the web/watch netflix/etc with far less self-control than i normally have when I'm taking my prescribed Vyvanse.

You also hear similar reports with dopamine agonists used for parkinsons, and even with mild stuff like wellbutrin (it seems to increase compulsive gambling).

I don't crave alcohol on it simply because I don't particularly love alcohol, but if you have a positive mental image of alcohol it's not surprising that Vyvanse is making your thoughts turn towards that.

Hmm. That's interesting. Yeah I do have a positive view of it somewhat.. it's the only thing that vyvanse really makes me want to do. It's weird. I get cravings for nothing else except alcohol.

You crave it because you enjoyed it before, and amps make you think a lot about whatever is on your mind, so if you think about drinking you will think about it much more intensely after taking vyvanse. ADD meds are meant to make your brain lock on to a thought so if you think about drinking it's going to be locked onto that idea unless you find something else to occupy your mind with.

Thanks! Never thought of it that way. Guess I just need to start refocusing my thoughts on something more productive and less dangerous. I'll try to really focus on other more positive things and hopefully I can avoid drinking.

So I try to take breaks with vyvanse. I usually take 60mg vyvanse a day to keep away hunger(Not prescribed and I don't have ADD... I use it for weight loss and recreation). When I take vyvanse though I CRAVE alcohol. I normally have never craved alcohol in my life. I mean, I like it.. but I usually get gnarly hangovers. I drank at the most once or twice a week. I've posted before about this interesting phenomena.. If I take adderall or vyvanse.. I not only can drink a lot more, like 5-7 mixed drinks. but I am immune to hangovers. No headache, no nausea.. nothing. Before I started taking amps (about a month or so ago) If I drank even 3-5 mixed drinks (1-2 shots vodka the rest some sort of juice) I would be super drunk and usually would feel super nauseous. I'd even avoid drinking more than 5 at all costs and get anxious if I did.. because once I hit 6 or more.. I know for a fact I am going to be throwing up.. a lot. Just before taking amps, I drank 7 mixed drinks and threw up for about 5 hours straight.. dry heaving and camping the toilet. Now?? Even if I take the vyvanse at like noon.. and start drinking at 5 or 6 I can easily drink 5-7 drinks and experience no hangover.

Now here is my question. Why am I craving alcohol so badly? I literally dwell on wanting to drink. I have been giving in and nearly getting drunk (4-7 mixed drinks or 5-10 regular beers) almost every day taking a break once or twice a week. I mean.. when I say crave.. I mean CRAVE. It is all I think about throughout the day. I can't even take any vyvanse on the days I take a break because I know that I'll cave and drink. When I drink on a day I've used vyvanse.. I talk and talk and talk... and talk and talk.. I drive my friends crazy.. I can't shut the fuck up. I usually wake up around 11 and take the vyvanse then.. usually 60mg-90mg. I usually start drinking around 5 or 6... and drink till around 1 or 2 AM. Then I take seroquel (50-75mg) to attempt to sleep at around 5AM. usually before the seroquel hits I feel SUPER depressed and anxious. Mainly anxious because I look back and realized how much I annoyed my friends. So I honestly don't really like to drink with vyvanse or addies. I mean.. once a week or maybe 2 would be fine.. but I want to drink so badly I usually cave and drink.. which then I talk forever.. so then I piss off my friends lol.. Also wanted to add, seroquel works like a charm to knock me out. Never fails. Even if I am pretty amped.

So what's the deal? What is with this alcohol craving nonsense? Any ideas? Like is there a pharmacological reasoning behind this? Is this common? Anything I can do to reduce the craving? It honestly kind of scares me how much I crave alcohol. I've never craved alcohol in my life.
I know this is an old post but found it while googling "Adderall and alcohol cravings blue light". I too experience the same thing with having intense cravings for alcohol while taking Adderall. I am now at a crossroads where I know I might have to stop taking(prescribed) Adderall for the first time in17 years. I'm was 16 in high school when first prescribed and I just turned 33. It a problem that is only getting worse. Sometimes I run out of my prescription early and barely think about drinking. As soon as I take an addy boom a light switch in my brain goes off and says "Now all I need is a good buzz from alcohol and that'll bring out the best of me and make me feel good blah blah blah". I totally get the "intense" cravings for alcohol. It's like nothing is going to convince you otherwise why you shouldn't drink at that point. Your not alone in feeling that way!

I know this is an old post but found it while googling "Adderall and alcohol cravings blue light". I too experience the same thing with having intense cravings for alcohol while taking Adderall. I am now at a crossroads where I know I might have to stop taking(prescribed) Adderall for the first time in17 years. I'm was 16 in high school when first prescribed and I just turned 33. It a problem that is only getting worse. Sometimes I run out of my prescription early and barely think about drinking. As soon as I take an addy boom a light switch in my brain goes off and says "Now all I need is a good buzz from alcohol and that'll bring out the best of me and make me feel good blah blah blah". I totally get the "intense" cravings for alcohol. It's like nothing is going to convince you otherwise why you shouldn't drink at that point. Your not alone in feeling that way!
How are you doing now? Are you still on the Adderall and dealing with cravings? I'm thinking of switching to staterra...