• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Social What are you currently reading?

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS, CD
Staff member
Loved East of Eden.

“People are felt rather than seen after the first few moments.”
Amazing work.. great quote Diz. Most memorable for me, out of such grand scope were two brilliant captures.. How we often create the people we fall in love with and the potential for them to never live up to our delusions and how many can enjoy and wallow in their torment.

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
Just got a nice recommendation:

41VPNeaHLTL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Marching Powder: A True Story of Friendship, Cocaine, and South America's Strangest Jail​

Rusty Young was backpacking in South America when he heard about Thomas McFadden, a convicted English drug trafficker who ran tours inside Bolivia's notorious San Pedro prison. Intrigued, the young Australian journalisted went to La Paz and joined one of Thomas's illegal tours. They formed an instant friendship and then became partners in an attempt to record Thomas's experiences in the jail. Rusty bribed the guards to allow him to stay and for the next three months he lived inside the prison, sharing a cell with Thomas and recording one of the strangest and most compelling prison stories of all time. The result is Marching Powder.

Sounds interesting? Here you are:

(I myself downloaded it for free @ z-library, so that ain't no piracy!)

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
I was told it was good I had four-wheel drive and that turned out to be true, as I climbed over boulders and straddled deep ruts. I didn’t see another car during the thirty minutes it took me to drive five miles. When I arrived, however, I found the lakeshore peppered with cars, regular cars, Pintos and Datsuns and Chevy Vegas. The sight was so astonishing that I asked a woman who sat fishing if there was another road up to the place. She gave me a look, a mildly interested look, and said, “No, only the one.”

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS, CD
Staff member
East of Eden led to a reread of Grapes of Wrath, saw more and did not remember that ending.. symbolism of the childless doomed young adult breast feeding the starving old man was powerful.. annihilation of a generational way of life, annihilation of the families it created and supported.

Last edited:

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
what are good novels that feature strong friendship between a girl and another child? ideally the protagonist and author are female.

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
What if it’s true about Mr. Douglas, the lantern-jawed science teacher? Did he really say there was no better example of the sublime poetry of hydraulics than Dusty walking down the third-floor corridor?

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
kindle’s interface just changed. or mine just changed. googling, it sounds like some devices might have already gotten the update. barely made the cutoff. i have a 2015 paperwhite. 2015 and later devices get the new os.

Last edited:

Nas47

Bluelighter
We all help one another against the cat.

In the time that you spend reading something offline (which seems to be an all too small fraction for myself), what is it?

I must admit that I am not an avid reader of fictional works. However, after my wife and I watched Gone With the Wind, she convinced me to begin the Bible-long novel Scarlett. We enjoy reading in bed in our red lamp lit room before we sleep. Thus far, it is a delightfully descriptive work of the immediate post Civil War era which I am thoroughly enjoying.

So, Bluelight, what page-turner are you under the influence of lately?
The Architect aprentice.Ustam ve ben.Eliff Shaffak.Its good.Love was the other one of that writer

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
"Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut is a good one. I never really got into his stuff that much but I remember that book being in my parent's book collection when I was a kid, reading it and enjoying the book's sense of humor (and Vonnegut's attempts at illustration lol)

Nas47

Bluelighter
Curt Vonnegut is somekind Frank Zappa of writers.I was reading most of his stuff.Funny,Intelligent stuff.What was these-Its not nessesery to be mad to work with us,but it helps":)