• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: cduggles | Mysterier
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Social What are you currently reading?

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
In the hospital, she could create confusion by a gesture as simple as gulping down her wedding ring; she learned how uncommon she was and so she acquired an aristocratic sense of privilege and, with it, an aristocratic sense of disdain, for all around her she received hints and intimations that her fantasies might mould the real world.

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
A song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
I finished all 5 books that are out to date in 1 month. Most epic book series i have ever read.
you don't even have to like fantasy to enjoy them.

[I realise you posted this a decade ago lol]

Totally agree! I have absolutely zero interest in reading fantasy but I LOVED the A Song of Ice and Fire book. Shame we've been waiting something like 12 or 13 years for the next one.

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Currently reading I Am the Tiger by John Lindqvist. It's quite good so far but I have only read about a third of it. The first one - I Am Behind You was excellent and the second - I Always Find You - was not as great but still pretty good.

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich

It's a history book about the Byzantine Empire, an empire centered around the fortified city of Constantinople (modern-day Istanbul) for over 1,000 years. I saw it at a used book store and picked it up on a whim.

Ostensibly the Byzantine Empire was a Christian theocracy, but in reality there was a ton of stuff of cloak-and-dagger power games going on, backstabbing, torture, murder, sleazy stuff, you name it pretty much. That's why I like reading about this time period honestly lol.

This guy's life serves as a good general example of some of the kind of stuff that was going on: banged everything that moved, took his own niece as a mistress, murdered a kid to become emperor, mutilated/killed tons of enemies and, at the end, was tortured for several days and ultimately torn limb-from-limb by angry mob. And he was the emperor lol!

JTemperance

Moderator: DC
Staff member
The Big Book of The Continental Op*.... i.e., all the stories that Dashiell Hammett published in Black Mask from 1923-29, plus the serialized versions of his first two novels: The Cleansing of Poisonville (which became Red Harvest) and The Dain Curse - a personal favorite of mine, since it deals with morphine withdrawal in quite a lot of detail.

Actually quite a few of the stories at least reference drugs and Hammett doesn't get caught up in the early 20s hysteria against dope (says an opium smoker is no worse off than a tobacco smoker)... not to mention other interesting aspects of the period, like the decline of the IWW's radical unionism in the mining sector.

*In all of those stories and the two first novels, the protagonist is a nameless "op[erative]" doing private investigations for the Pinkerton Continental Agency... In the following novels, we get named protgaonists instead - Sam Spade, Ned Beaumont, Nick and Nora Charles.

Nas47

Bluelighter
A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich

It's a history book about the Byzantine Empire, an empire centered around the fortified city of Constantinople (modern-day Istanbul) for over 1,000 years. I saw it at a used book store and picked it up on a whim.

Ostensibly the Byzantine Empire was a Christian theocracy, but in reality there was a ton of stuff of cloak-and-dagger power games going on, backstabbing, torture, murder, sleazy stuff, you name it pretty much. That's why I like reading about this time period honestly lol.

This guy's life serves as a good general example of some of the kind of stuff that was going on: banged everything that moved, took his own niece as a mistress, murdered a kid to become emperor, mutilated/killed tons of enemies and, at the end, was tortured for several days and ultimately torn limb-from-limb by angry mob. And he was the emperor lol!

Yes this East-roman empire is direct offshoot of Great Roman empire,when emperon Constantin the Great move capital from Rome to Constantinope.Its almost 1000 Empire with highs in many arts(look St.Sophia church) and great power in Europe at all

JTemperance

Moderator: DC
Staff member
Crack: Rock Cocaine, Street Capitalism, and the Decade of Greed
by David Farber
Ever read "In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio" by Phillipe Bourgois? I highly recommend it.

For research, the author lived in Spanish Harlem full-time from 1985 to 1990, hanging out with local crack dealers and eventually becoming pretty close with some of them. It was originally written as a dissertation, but it's a first-person account that mostly reads like a novel (with some excursions into theory).