• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Just finished Choke. Really liked it. Probably gonna read Rant (same author) next.
Rant (mediocre compared to his best novels) is going to be a bit of a letdown coming straight from Choke (arguably one of his best books.)

Have you read Invisible Monster?

The Queen of the World by Robert Hardman

Done with Why We Love Serial Killers Scott Bonn
Two Thousand Minnows Sandra Leigh Vaughn
The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes SACD

Finished Chuck Palahnuiks The Invention of Sound. Really liked it, as I have most things by the author.
Read two novella's by Rowland Bercy Jr this morning, Pre-Thanksgiving Stress Disorder and Unbortion. Both were excellent.

Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes SACD

Did you enjoy the series and which book would you say was the best? I'm not particularly interested in reading them in general but I have The Hound of the Baskervilles on my Modern Classics TBR list as it always seems to be on greatest books lists.

Did you enjoy the series and which book would you say was the best? I'm not particularly interested in reading them in general but I have The Hound of the Baskervilles on my Modern Classics TBR list as it always seems to be on greatest books lists.
Yeah I have been into Sherlock Holmes since I was really young.. oddly enough its probably one of the roots of my drug use.

here are a few I like..

The Man with the Twisted Lip
A Scandal in Bohemia
The Blue Carbuncle
The Dancing Men
The Six Napoleons
The adventure of the Devils Foot
The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans

these are all short stories.. while the Baskervilles is a longer work.

I would start with a Study in Scarlet as its sets the mood for all of them.. gives the backstory. Its also a longer work.

So I took down Naked Lunch today.. I was sure I had read it before.. but was really happy to find I was a Naked Lunch virgin. Smitten with it.

She suddenly discovered what a beautiful deep cave her armpit made, and decided to keep fairies in it in future. For some time she could think of nothing else.

"A Hero for High Times" by Ian Merchant. 'Met' / interacted with him briefly on ol Facebook. Seems like a clever fella. Friendly. The book is a sort of "Guide to the Counterculture of the UK circa 1960-1980." I liked it. Only got 'slow' 2 or 3 times and good heavens...dozens and dozens of new names and movememnts and artworks I had never heard of (being a Yankee)! https://ianmarchant.com/books-ian-marchan/a-hero-for-high-times/
(A similar book was done by Ken Goffmann called "Counterculture through the Ages".)

Yeah I have been into Sherlock Holmes since I was really young.. oddly enough its probably one of the roots of my drug use.

here are a few I like..

The Man with the Twisted Lip
A Scandal in Bohemia
The Blue Carbuncle
The Dancing Men
The Six Napoleons
The adventure of the Devils Foot
The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans

these are all short stories.. while the Baskervilles is a longer work.

I would start with a Study in Scarlet as its sets the mood for all of them.. gives the backstory. Its also a longer work.
Oh, gosh, I hope I'm not messing up this thread's flow! This will be my last post, this session, promise! Heeeey! If you enjoy ol Conan Authur Doyle's Sherlock character try out the

Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota Series by Larry Millett! Oh god, now what? I can't escape BOLD@!! Sherlock, HALP!!!! lol

Glad to see this one still making the rounds. How's it treatin' ya so far?
I put it down so that I could finish ‘People’s History of the United States’. But I like the first 20 or so pages that I read :LOL:

So next three up are

Absalom, Absalom! Faulkner
Rabbit, Run John Updike
Doctor Zhivago Boris Pasternak

Edit: Rabbit, Run was alright.. Updike never tickles me as his window opens to such a mainstream stage. Granted he’s from another time.. but I have yet to read one of his characters I’d find interesting enough to want to hang out with let alone read much about. Will continue with the Rabbit series as there are two Pulitzers to come.

Last edited:
@Zopiclone bandit
Just finished reading My Years with Townes Van Zandt: Music, Genius, and Rage. Written by Harold Eggers, Townes' business partner and road manager for 20 years, gives a glimpse into the troubled songwriters time on the road. Townes used to say, "Being a folksinger is 10% playing, singing, and writing and 90% driving." I've read two other biographies of Townes that included his childhood and other aspects of his life but this one best described his day to day life as a travelling troubadour though the eyes of the guy who drove him all around the US and rode with him throughout Europe and internationally.

“All babies are natural swimmers,” John said, lowering his two-year-old son gently over the side of the rowboat, and smiling. The child thrashed and sank. Aldo dived in and grabbed him. The baby came up coughing, not crying, and looked with pure fear at his father. John looked with dismay at his son. “He would have come up in a minute,” John said to Aldo, who was dripping and rowing. “You have to give nature a chance.”

@Zopiclone bandit
Just finished reading My Years with Townes Van Zandt: Music, Genius, and Rage. Written by Harold Eggers, Townes' business partner and road manager for 20 years, gives a glimpse into the troubled songwriters time on the road. Townes used to say, "Being a folksinger is 10% playing, singing, and writing and 90% driving." I've read two other biographies of Townes that included his childhood and other aspects of his life but this one best described his day to day life as a travelling troubadour though the eyes of the guy who drove him all around the US and rode with him throughout Europe and internationally.
Heroin, DXM, booze and gambling I bet?

The Invisible War by Chip Ingram

It's a Christian book about the invisible spiritual warfare going on all around us, how to deal with attacks of the enemy, all sorts of good info.