• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

In the time that you spend reading something offline (which seems to be an all too small fraction for myself), what is it?

I must admit that I am not an avid reader of fictional works. However, after my wife and I watched Gone With the Wind, she convinced me to begin the Bible-long novel Scarlett. We enjoy reading in bed in our red lamp lit room before we sleep. Thus far, it is a delightfully descriptive work of the immediate post Civil War era which I am thoroughly enjoying.

So, Bluelight, what page-turner are you under the influence of lately?

#1 Bible , #2 Carl Gustav Jung Man and His Symbols , #3 Charles Bukowski , #4 Hg wells History of the World volume 1 - 3 , # 5 Nikola Tesla Biography.

There's a bunch of people who post multiple books here, I'm getting curious.
Are you such slow readers? Are you starting the books and never finishing them(that's not reading, that's doing nothing)? Are you switching between the books? Are you aware that this is a very inefficient way of learning? Has someone ever told you that it's super dumb, and makes 0 sense? Just finish a fucking book already.

I've got a good book on basal stimulation, which i'm reading atm.

Are you aware that this is a very inefficient way of learning? Has someone ever told you that it's super dumb, and makes 0 sense? Just finish a fucking book already.
Reading books can be done for pleasure as well as learning. I will sometimes read multiple books especially if I'm not absorbed in one, i will read others while making my way through the slower one.

I feel the phrasing of this answer is needlessly insulting.

There's a bunch of people who post multiple books here, I'm getting curious.
Are you such slow readers? Are you starting the books and never finishing them(that's not reading, that's doing nothing)? Are you switching between the books? Are you aware that this is a very inefficient way of learning? Has someone ever told you that it's super dumb, and makes 0 sense? Just finish a fucking book already.

I've got a good book on basal stimulation, which i'm reading atm.
Mine are all finished unless noted.

Why do we have multiple subjects simultaneously taught to us if it’s inefficient?

Last edited:
Mine are all finished unless noted.

Why do we have multiple subjects simultaneously taught to us if it’s inefficient?
I don't know I never paid attention
Maybe this is another one of these "NT day-to-day" things were I'm assuming wrong,
but for me personally there is 0 gain in stretching my attention to multiple books.

School had no point for me, especially. I learned by myself, because school keeps switching the subjects,
did not help me at all. They went on /w English class or w/e and I was still facing a Math problem, dunno.
I assumed this was the same for everyone, because there's not many people that are very good at school.
And the next issue: how much do you still know from school?
This multiple subject binge-learning is completely fucking useless and not good for keeping the info you have acquired long-term.

Reading books can be done for pleasure as well as learning. I will sometimes read multiple books especially if I'm not absorbed in one, i will read others while making my way through the slower one.

I feel the phrasing of this answer is needlessly insulting.
Only if you let yourself feel insulted, because I certainly didn't mean to insult you, I was asking genuine questions, because I.don't.understand.the.concept. I think it's dumb to learn in a way where I've entirely forgotten the information a few years later.

I'm not even telling you to do it differently, I was asking for the reason - now I know. It's for "pleasure", even though that's even weirder. Why waste all that precious pleasure not even learning efficiently?

My general issue was with the reading speed. I'm not sure how it is even physically possible to read so many books at once, since 90% of books take only a few hours to finish, if even that long. I'm just curious, sorry if that was insulting.

The Tower Struck by Lightning, by Fernando Arrabal.

The story turns around a chess game between two world champions, you even got the visual play-board of the score (which is inspire by a legendary Kasparov game if i don't say bullshits). Soon it turns out into a spy/thriller shit like McCarthy-anarcoco-witch-hunt where one of the players, computered/establishment-indoctrinated, suspects the other to be part of an anarcho-terrorist organisation which kidnapped a corrupt politician, while left-wing radicalists are still struggling with a hot context in western europe

In the Emergency Room, Jane goes to the counter with their insurance information and the police report and explains that her husband was involved in a fatal car accident the evening before and appeared disoriented at the scene.

“That’s not what happened,” George bellows. “The fucking SUV was like a big white cloud in front of me, I couldn’t see over it, couldn’t see around it, I couldn’t help but punch through it like a cheap piece of aluminum, like a fat fucking pillow.
I was impressed enough with that little snippet to Google search it... "May We Be Forgiven" by A.M. Homes? Was the whole novel good?

^yeah. a solid iteration of the sarcastic, deadpan protagonist floats through a bizarro series events trope.

let me know what you think if you get around to reading it.

I've been checking out my grandfather's book collection recently (he died before I was born but left a pretty substantial library of old books which are now mine), I've been diving into an old compilation of Karl Marx's writings which is pretty good. It was published during the Great Depression and has a really nice introduction by Max Eastman, where he explains historical materialism in a really concise, accessible way and (rightfully imo) jettisons the German philosophical aspect of Marx's thought, the influence of Hegel and the dialectic and all that crap...

I've also been getting into The Antichrist by Nietzsche, edited & with an introduction by HL Mencken. A bunch of other books by Plato, Spinoza, Dostoevsky etc that I hope to get to at some point too! So many classics so little time lol

I generally have two going at once (one paper book and one e-book)
Currently reading Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (paperback). Haven't read anything by him before but have only heard really good things. About half-way through this and enjoying it so far.
On Kindle I'm reading a Body Horror anthology collection called Battered, Broken Bodies. Excellent so far.

Finished Cat's Cradle (my first Vonnegut). I wasn't blown away like I'd hoped (I've only ever heard very positive things about his work) but did enjoy it. I'd give it 4 stars (out of 5).
I liked it enough that I've started Slaughterhouse Five now.

Probably gonna read The Willow Tree next as it's the only Hubert Selby Jr novel I haven't read yet and although Last Exist To Brooklyn was not that great IMO, I have loved everything else by him.
I gotta be in a solid good mood to read his books, though, as they are usually VERY dark/depressing (if you've never read him and need an idea of how dark and depressing: he wrote Requiem for a Dream and the screen-play for the movie of the same name).

I just finished A Case of Need so the next in line is a battle among The Silent Patient, A Gentleman in Moscow and Animal Farm...

I just finished A Case of Need so the next in line is a battle among The Silent Patient, A Gentleman in Moscow and Animal Farm...
Started The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles today… it’s really good🌟. Definitely going to roll A Gentleman in Moscow later this week.