• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Coz your nick is neversickanymore... is it just a nick or a reflection of you?
When I first joined I had just healed from a long 5 year pretty substantial illness and was kicking methadone and Xanax I no longer needed or wanted.. the second took over a year for full healing. So it’s a reflection of gratitude at not being sick anymore and a determination of never being dope sick again.

Welcome to BL Freeverse !! Though I see you have been around for a bit.

Last edited:
I've been leafing through You'll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again by Julia Phillips, an infamous tell-all memoir about Hollywood that led to the author being banned from several restaurants when it was published in the early 90s. She was a pioneering female producer, with Taxi Driver and Close Encounters of the Third Kind to her credit, as well as a very credible freebase cocaine smoker. There are some entertaining anecdotes in it, to be sure.

When I first joined I had just healed from a long 5 year pretty substantial illness and was kicking methadone and Xanax I no longer needed or wanted.. the second took over a year for full healing. So it’s a reflection of gratitude at not being sick anymore and a determination of never being dope sick again.

Welcome to BL Freeverse !! Though I see you have been around for a bit.
I feel proud of you for doing the right thing. Kudos to you for staying strong! Keep it up! 🙂

Last edited:
Are you such slow readers? Are you starting the books and never finishing them(that's not reading, that's doing nothing)? Are you switching between the books? Are you aware that this is a very inefficient way of learning?
i usually have at least 2 books on the go. an 'improving' one and a 'for pleasure' one. the improving ones are for pleasure to but the distinction is that they are not suitable for bed time reading.

also have books that i'm kinda constantly reading, i.e. the dhammapada and a guide to the bodhisattva way of life. these are not suited to reading in one go because they are sets of short verses, each with its own message. they are grouped together into loosely related themes but its too much to read a whole group at once.

anyway, i came in here to ask for recommendations. both for improving books, and easier reads.

i'm just finishing time of the magicians by wolfram eilenberger. i'd identified continental philosophy as an area where i am woefully uneducated. having read this, it was a slog, and i'm content to remain woefully uneducated. i tried. its a great book and interesting to read about the work of inter war german philosophers, so don't be put off, its just not the way my brain works.

also reading the enchantress of florence by salman rushdie. i'm absolutely loving this.

if it will help with recommendations, i am mostly drawn to good writing rather than particular genres but have a soft spot for magical realism and popular science/history by people who actually know their shit. my favourite books for pleasure that i've read in the past year are:

entangled life by merlin sheldrake
XX by rian hughes
time travellers guides to 13th century, elizabethan england and the restoration by ian mortimer
this is london by ben judah
3 body problem trilogy
the premonition by michael lewis

improving:
highlanders by yo'av karny
godel escher bach, the eternal golden braid by douglas hoftstader
spike by jeremy farrar and anjana ahuja

any suggestions in either of these categories would be gratefully received.

i usually have at least 2 books on the go. an 'improving' one and a 'for pleasure' one. the improving ones are for pleasure to but the distinction is that they are not suitable for bed time reading.

also have books that i'm kinda constantly reading, i.e. the dhammapada and a guide to the bodhisattva way of life. these are not suited to reading in one go because they are sets of short verses, each with its own message. they are grouped together into loosely related themes but its too much to read a whole group at once.
I see, fully understand that distinction
My brain just couldn't do much with the concept. For me it's "one book, then the next" - but if one has to read something for learning, and wants to read another thing for pleasure, I do get that. Not that I've ever done it, for me the learning books are the pleasure books

I've seen a lot of good reviews on The Lincoln... i guess it's gonna ba another entry to my TBR list. 🙂
Finished Lincoln and am almost done with gentleman.. my take both are really good books. Lincoln ran away with it for me.. gentleman was good, but it came across as he was purposely writing like the Russian masters.. lol not like that’s easy but he pulled it off completely with a modern flare that kept it relivent and sustainable .. from the characters names and the references to the masters. Great book as well though. I bet he is a food lover or possibly a good cook. I loved his repition of her dress being shed, best panty drop literature ever. Love how he drags a finger through Russian glimpses of American culture and especially the takes on US movies as dumbfounding them as propaganda that seems to depict capitalism as it really is. That’s really too damn good and he easy wrote into the echelon of my literary heart.

Last edited:
La Révolution Au Cœur, by Christian Olivier. It's about how a book fallen of the bag of a woman is picked up by a man in a cinema and how about it start to spread revolution all around. It's inspired by the pre-1917 russian revolution poetry, and there's an intervention of one of these poets at every chapter, follows by arts made by the collective Les Chats Pelés which Christian Olivier is part of, and by some poetry at hist sauce like it needs to be... Pretty heavy and light shit

What could lead me to kill him, I don’t know. If I had a drink something would open up, I’m sure. I will tell my lawyer that. I’ll tell that to the judge. Someone will understand me.

"Demain, une oasis", by Ayerdhal. It's about how an organisation kidnap an executive of a spatial expension organisation to force him to help people in a third-world country, and page by page, it's about how huge this organisation really is, his goals, ascomplishments and nature, and how the executive is more and more implicated in it despite his original own "free-will"....

If you have lived in cities and have walked in the park on a summer afternoon, you have perhaps seen, blinking in a corner of his iron cage, a huge, grotesque kind of monkey, a creature with ugly, sagging, hairless skin below his eyes and a bright purple underbody. This monkey is a true monster. In the completeness of his ugliness he achieved a kind of perverted beauty.

If you have lived in cities and have walked in the park on a summer afternoon, you have perhaps seen, blinking in a corner of his iron cage, a huge, grotesque kind of monkey, a creature with ugly, sagging, hairless skin below his eyes and a bright purple underbody. This monkey is a true monster. In the completeness of his ugliness he achieved a kind of perverted beauty.
Absolutly, i was about to say that 👍

Otherwiiise i'm also reading Westward Ha ! or Around the World in Eighty Clichés, by S. J. Perelman at the same time. Makes me think of Fear and Laughing in Las Vegas but 30 years earlier

The Trauma Cleaner by Sara Krasnostein
Non fiction, nicely written enjoying it.

Finished Deviant by Harold Schechter
Biography of a serial killer from Wisconsin.. WOW was that guy a sick fuck. Unbelievable. He is the basis for the Psyco character and also the Silence of the Lambs killer. Disturbing.

The boathouse had been torn down, but my cabin, the main structure where the girls learned crafts and ate their meals, had endured. I had found rusted bobby pins, thimbles, jacks, broken knitting needles, small scissors fit for children’s hands in the soil, wedged in between the grubs and earthworms.

The Lonesome Gods by Louis L' amour. I have been a fan of western novels since I read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry years ago. When it is a well written and researched novel, I quickly find myself taken away to those relaxing yet dangerous plains, deserts, and mountains.

Finished Lincoln and am almost done with gentleman.. my take both are really good books. Lincoln ran away with it for me.. gentleman was good, but it came across as he was purposely writing like the Russian masters.. lol not like that’s easy but he pulled it off completely with a modern flare that kept it relivent and sustainable .. from the characters names and the references to the masters. Great book as well though. I bet he is a food lover or possibly a good cook. I loved his repition of her dress being shed, best panty drop literature ever. Love how he drags a finger through Russian glimpses of American culture and especially the takes on US movies as dumbfounding them as propaganda that seems to depict capitalism as it really is. That’s really too damn good and he easy wrote into the echelon of my literary heart.
Wow! I am speechless by your words. I haven't started Lincoln yet. Been busy for the past weeks. Hopefully I can start in the coming days. But really, I am so amazed. ❤ 🙂 Thank you...