• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What do people get out of abusing antipsychotics?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
People definitely do it (and not just in prison or when they can't get anything else). Why is this? If anyone on here abuses them or takes them "recreationally", why?

Quetiapine (Seroquel) is definitely by far the most commonly abused. I wonder what makes it different from other AP's in the same class.

I think Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) is the only anti-psychotic that shows any abuse potential, but even then it's minimal.

I think these people have no experinces / no availability of/with better drugs (even tho you say that some people do it nevertheless). Quetiapine in lower dosages is primarily a sedative with antihistaminergic and antiadrenergic properties but it becomes a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor as dosage increases which is anything but recreational. Once I took 500mg quetiapine out of despair and all I got was restlessness/akathisia and a fine panic attack. Don't know what I made wrong but antidopaminergics just aren't recreational by nature, imho.

I think these people have no experinces / no availability of/with better drugs (even tho you say that some people do it nevertheless). Quetiapine in lower dosages is primarily a sedative with antihistaminergic and antiadrenergic properties but it becomes a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor as dosage increases which is anything but recreational. Once I took 500mg quetiapine out of despair and all I got was restlessness/akathisia and a fine panic attack. Don't know what I made wrong but antidopaminergics just aren't recreational by nature, imho.

The first I heard of it was on an episode of Intervention who was addicted to prescription meds was taking up to 1200mg Quetiapine a day, even though she was also taking O=thing like buprenorphine, oxymorphone, soma etc.
I didn't really understand it so looked into it and quite a few people do it. I'd understand in small doses, like I sometimes take 25-50mg if I want a little added sedation, but not in such huge amounts.

I'm not being a negative prick, but...which antipsychotics are good to abuse!!?? Well, I'm and addict, on antipsychotics that are not worth abusing. 🤭

Back in the day when I was locked up for a little bit, me & some of the other girls pretended to get in fights sometimes so they would give us these shot glass cups of Thorazine & we’d be chillin …. lol that was so long ago I’m a completely different person these days
Yeah, I'm prescribed Thorazine and it's the only non-benzo that has ever actually worked for my anxiety as well as a benzo (though less euphoric)

I'm not being a negative prick, but...which antipsychotics are good to abuse!!?? Well, I'm and addict, on antipsychotics that are not worth abusing. 🤭
I have to add medication abuse does encompass abruptly quitting the meds.and THAT can be upsetting. Everyone's a doctor. With a third world 2nd grade education.

they used to make me take quetiapine before bed and it used to give me super anxiety before it made me pass out. i was on something else too. they made me take the drugs before bed. i wanted to take them in the morning but that never got around to happening. i thought the anxiety and passing out might turn into something enjoyable if i took them earlier in the day... i will admit when i was on this medication i was pretty relaxed and still got a decent weed buzz with out having to smoke too much weed. sexual side effects really turned me away from this stuff though.

the same thing with risperdal and feeling relaxed. this was just at therapuetic doses though. not trying to get high, if that's even possible... my friend used to take like a hand full of risperdal and drink. i have no idea why. i never got around to asking him. i think he just liked being dizzy though. maybe it was rebellion against his parents or something too cause they were making him take them.

they made me take zyprexa or olanzapine for a little bit too. this again i was suppsosed to take before bed. i'd fall asleep right away after taking it and then wake up like an hour or two later feeling like my legs were super restless. i remember a couple times even getting colorful trails around my bed. i think this was just my mind going crazy and not really cause of the drugs.... but zyprexa was pretty bad feeling...

i'd be interested to hear other posters talk about taking larger doses of this stuff and what happened...

The first I heard of it was on an episode of Intervention who was addicted to prescription meds was taking up to 1200mg Quetiapine a day, even though she was also taking O=thing like buprenorphine, oxymorphone, soma etc.
I didn't really understand it so looked into it and quite a few people do it. I'd understand in small doses, like I sometimes take 25-50mg if I want a little added sedation, but not in such huge amounts.
Mu psychiatrist, whom I love with all of my heart, told a lady who was heating up a teaspoon and burning her arm, (2nd degree burns), that he could raise her seroquel to a dose, that would cause her to shit her bed, if she didnt stop self injury, 🤯 I heard this and almost did the same in my pants...she stopped. Just a seroquel story...

Mu psychiatrist, whom I love with all of my heart, told a lady who was heating up a teaspoon and burning her arm, (2nd degree burns), that he could raise her seroquel to a dose, that would cause her to shit her bed, if she didnt stop self injury, 🤯 I heard this and almost did the same in my pants...she stopped. Just a seroquel story...

Sounds like a TERRIBLE psych. That would only cause more trauma and stress to a person and you can't bully or threaten a persons mental illness away.

I have to add medication abuse does encompass abruptly quitting the meds.and THAT can be upsetting. Everyone's a doctor. With a third world 2nd grade education.
I have ADHHHD and I'm an impulsive guy, so I understand.and I am an american ad design major, with a pharmacist downstairs that I can get meds for this disorder, a self medicated educated liar (advertising) and have been up going on three days 😬 also, I was being judgmental, sorry.

I used to "abuse" Thorazine. What I got was... sleep. Good after a speed run.

Small doses along with whatever other downers you can scrape together can be a thing. Similar to antihistamines with downers. Makes things somewhat duller in a similar way as well.

I always thought of thorazine as a hardcore antipsychotic med like haloperidol but some like even this accordingly to what I read. I once took a single mg of haloperidol because they denied me anything else and after a hour I needed akineton because of dyskinesia. Me and the dopamine blockers, we just aren't compatible.