• H&R Moderators: chinup | VerbalTruist | n3ophy7e
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Diet What healthy food are you eating now? v. it's pronounced keen-waah

chinup

✨ Your Fantasy ✨ Senior Moderator: EADD, H&R
Staff member
What is that babe?

slow cooked onions and peppers flavoured with cumin seeds and paprika, then you add tinned tomatoes and cook a bit more. then crack some eggs on the top and bake in the oven. very easy and tasty, and i say that as someone who is really funny about eggs, i very rarely choose to cook with them.

jasperkent

Bluelighter
All of those foods sound great!

What kind of yoghurt do you use for breakfast? Gotta be careful with some yoghurts, especially if they're flavoured, as they can have quite a bit of sugar in them. Gotta check the nutrition panel on the packaging. Plain/natural Greek yoghurts often have the least amount of sugar. Coconut milk yoghurts are also low sugar, and I LOVE the taste :)

Salads really are endless at the possibilities. Using spinach, raw broccoli and tomatoes is very healthy BUT you are really limiting yourself on flavour there, and you could risk getting bored of it. Are you using those ingredients for a particular reason e.g. you grow your own spinach, broccoli and tomatoes?

Sorry bout that...my phone is fucked up.
Yes, I always grow tomatoes, various peppers, herbs, and weed. Wanting to expand my garden.
Yogurt? Some flavored, but mostly plain Greek. Recently made my own and it's OK but a little gritty. Not sure what I did wrong.
Still want to do my own sprouts-- especially alfalfa & radish.

G_Chem

Bluelighter
Being weird generally. Eating protein powders daily and trying to eat nothing but lean meat and cheese. Vegetables.
Tying to withdrawal from a moderate opioid habit...😫🤠 ..... hence the healthy eating. It helps you taper if you're physically strong and eating right.

Zinc and Vit D can also majorly help, I take em at night usually cuz they make me sleepy but ya definitely helps get you through the night when all you wanna do is toss n turn.

Meats are a good source of zinc already, but oysters are where it’s at for good amounts.

-GC

iTry91

Bluelighter
I fried mine in the frying pan cause my ovens broke... Didn't*even know if you can cook it in the oven as I hardly ever eat fish

iTry91

Bluelighter
Is it true about having fish in moderation these days due to mercury?
I've only recently started to enjoy it other than fish fingers and chipshop fish n chips lol

Mr. Krinkle

Bluelighter
Is it true about having fish in moderation these days due to mercury?
I've only recently started to enjoy it other than fish fingers and chipshop fish n chips lol

i think Tuna is the worst offender....but i could be wrong....i dont really eat tuna much tho

Salmon and Cod are your best bets for the least toxins - which i eat fairly frequently 🎣

Dishwasher Salmon with a Piquant Dill Sauce​

Ingredients:
-4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets

-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

-1/2 teaspoon salt

-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

-Heavy-duty aluminum foil

Piquant Dill Sauce:​

-2 tablespoons butter

-2 leeks, white part only, finely chopped, then thoroughly washed

-1 jalapeno chile, seeds and membranes removed, finely diced

-2 garlic cloves, minced

-1 cup vegetable or chicken stock

-1 1/2 cups lightly packed fresh dill, stems removed before measuring

-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

-1/4 teaspoon salt

-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

-1/4 cup sour cream

Directions​

1. Cut 2 (12-inch) square sheets of aluminum foil. Place 2 fillets side by side on each square and fold up the outer edges. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over each fillet. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Fold and pinch the aluminum foil extra tightly to create a watertight seal around each pair of fillets. Make sure the packet is airtight by pressing down on it gently with your hand. If air escapes easily, rewrap.
  3. Place foil packets on the top rack of the dishwasher. Run dishwasher for the entire "normal" cycle. When cycle is complete, take out salmon, discard foil, place 1 fillet on each plate, and spoon a generous serving of dill sauce overtop.
  4. Don't have a dishwasher? Bake foil-wrapped packets in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 12 minutes.
  5. The Instruction Manual: 1. Seal individual-size fillets in aluminum foil. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COOK A WHOLE FISH. 2. Place fish packets on the top rack. 3. Add dirty dishes and lemon-scented soap. This optional step is not recommended for novices. However, as long as the salmon is tightly sealed in the aluminum foil, it will not absorb any soapy taste or smell. 4. Set the dishwasher to the "normal" cycle. Modern dishwashers have "economy" and "cool dry" settings, which are undesirable because they conserve heat. However, on the other end of the spectrum, the "pots and pans" setting tends to overcook the fish. 5. Run salmon through the entire wash-and-dry cycle: approximately 50 minutes for most models. I have poached salmon in almost every make and model, and although the temperatures and duration of the cycles vary with each machine, a little more or less "washing" will not affect it greatly because salmon is extremely forgiving. 6. To heighten the drama for your disbelieving guests, and to prove that you have nothing up your sleeve, let them crowd around the dishwasher when you load the salmon. When the cycle is complete, invite them back to witness the unloading. 7. Troubleshoot. The only time I ever had a problem was on live national TV. Five minutes before going on the air I learned that the heating element in the on-camera dishwasher was broken. After a quick huddle with the producer, I was forced to make the most of the situation by baking the salmon in the (gasp!) oven. To avoid this pedestrian fate, ask yourself the million-dollar question: When your dishwasher last completed its cycle, were the dishes hot? As long as the answer is yes, you are ready to poach.

Piquant Dill Sauce:​

1. Melt the butter over medium heat in a saute pan. Add the leek, jalapeno, and garlic and saute until the leeks are translucent but not brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the stock. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. (Adjust heat as required to maintain simmer.) The liquid should reduce by half. Remove from heat and let cool.
  2. Transfer to a blender or food processor and add the dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth. Reserve and reheat just before serving. Stir in the sour cream at the last minute.

darvocet21

Bluelighter
Zinc and Vit D can also majorly help, I take em at night usually cuz they make me sleepy but ya definitely helps get you through the night when all you wanna do is toss n turn.

Meats are a good source of zinc already, but oysters are where it’s at for good amounts.

-GC
Oysters are very good for you. I think any food that comes from the ocean whatever it is probably has a better variety of essential nutrients than any terrestrial food. I can't think of many Seafoods that I wouldn't at least try, except maybe for raw sea urchin and that's only because its appearance. It doesn't look like a food. But neither to do oysters and I love oysters. I like canned oysters even better than raw oysters, but not the Chinese farmed one in cottonseed oil. That's like three strikes right there. If anyone has a store called Trader Joe's in their vicinity well you're lucky first of all second of all you should buy the South Korean farmed canned oysters in olive oil, so large tha sometimes there might only be 6 or 7 in a can. Nothing against fresh oysters what an experience sliding right on down when you want to sometimes really sink your teeth into them