• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet What healthy food are you eating now? v. it's pronounced keen-waah

Eating the goods I harvested yesterday... on the left, nettle (Urtica dioicia) seeds, a rich source of many nutrients and antioxidants with the ability to help restore and regulate adrenal function. Keen on these because I've fucked my adrenals through years of kratom and opioid use. In the middle, black cap raspberries & salmon berries... and on the right, St John's wort, well-studied SSRI, tinctured.
214997013_10165232360305403_8800307152587535437_n.jpg

Eating the goods I harvested yesterday... on the left, nettle (Urtica dioicia) seeds, a rich source of many nutrients and antioxidants with the ability to help restore and regulate adrenal function. Keen on these because I've fucked my adrenals through years of kratom and opioid use. In the middle, black cap raspberries & salmon berries... and on the right, St John's wort, well-studied SSRI, tinctured.

I absolutely LOVE to forage so this picture has got me all excited. I knew of nettles as a green but didn’t know the seeds could be eaten too! That’s one foraged green I’ve been hesitant to try simply cuz I don’t wanna get stung on the way to the boiling pot of water.

Also been curious about salmon berries, have yet to find them. Gonna go hit the mountains this weekend to see what’s up there, it’s been so dry I’m not hopeful but I got a spot that’s usually full of Service berries, currants, hawthornes, around this time, plus a lot of SpearMint, some Mountain Mondarella, sage, and more. I’m low on my Mondarella, and the flowers after aging a year dried in a jar have taken on a whole new aroma that’s just amazing. (The leaves are good in recipes with pork or lamb.)

-GC

Lovely!! <3

I'm currently having a smoothie made with milk and greek yoghurt, banana, strawberries, kiwifruit and a teeny bit of honey (it didn't really need the honey but I needed the sugar energy). SO GOOD!

Hi, Guess WHAT... YOU are the recepient of MY FIRST message ever attempted to anybody about anything ...on BLUE LIGHT. The main reason I am here is because John MacAfee had subscribed and reccomended the site for researchers (people interestd in helping others) and for folks benefiting from new and interesting things involving this area. Iam in-fact interested in nettle and SEED and know you are not from near Penna. where Salmonberries (I believe) do not grow. Additionally, I might need a little advice - guidance on effectively understanding and using this interesting BLUE LIGHT site. John had a lab in the jungle producing advanced antibiotics, am interested in Functional Medicine which of course includes botanicals. Have a great day. actionheo4

I absolutely LOVE to forage so this picture has got me all excited. I knew of nettles as a green but didn’t know the seeds could be eaten too! That’s one foraged green I’ve been hesitant to try simply cuz I don’t wanna get stung on the way to the boiling pot of water.

Also been curious about salmon berries, have yet to find them. Gonna go hit the mountains this weekend to see what’s up there, it’s been so dry I’m not hopeful but I got a spot that’s usually full of Service berries, currants, hawthornes, around this time, plus a lot of SpearMint, some Mountain Mondarella, sage, and more. I’m low on my Mondarella, and the flowers after aging a year dried in a jar have taken on a whole new aroma that’s just amazing. (The leaves are good in recipes with pork or lamb.)

-GC
Yeah! I think I like the seeds more than the greens, honestly, although it's hard to compare them. First time I used nettle seeds I was at school (I'm taking a herbalist's apprenticeship). I've been battling my old demons lately and I was on the nod in class, it was pretty embarrassing but I think I managed to pull it off by telling them I was super sleepy. Anyway we all sampled some nettle seeds and after a small spoonful I was pulled straight out of a nod and found myself hyper-focused and energetic.

During nettle seed season (from now until late august) most of the stingers are null. I did get stung a little bit but it wasn't nearly as bad as it is during leaf-harvesting season. You can always just wear gloves though!

Homemade Frozen Yoghurt, because apparently frozen doesn't fucking exist anywhere any more 🤬
I4FUPMg.jpg

Made with:
1 whole frozen banana
3 frozen strawberries
1/2 frozen kiwifruit
3 tablespoons of sweetened Greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon of honey
a splash of milk
a handful of ice cubes

Blend until smooth. BEST THING EVER!!!!!!!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Last night I whipped up a fresh salsa by chopping up 3 tomatoes, 1 shallot, 1 poblano (deseeded), 1 habanero (deseeded), 1 jalepeno (deseeded), handful of cilantro, big spoon full of minced garlic, then drizzled on some olive oil, a bit of fresh lime and lemon juice, and sprinkle of oregano.

As well did some chimichurri steak that was probably more parsley leaf than steak. I eat parsley and cilantro like it’s salad.

Doing some deconstructed gyro bowls tomorrow hopefully :)

-GC

Just slow cooked a pork shoulder while I was at work. Then came home and made up a homemade tzatziki with avocado oil Mayo, fresh lemon juice, shredded radish, shredded cucumber, garlic, and fresh dill.

Then slice up some radish, cucumber and red onion. Put the shredded pork in a bowl, top with the sliced veggies and tzatziki, top with fresh dill and serve with a slice of lemon.

-GC

My diet is a mix of healthy/unhealthy foods. I love sugar(but not sodas as much as I used to) and I love pork (especially bacon) BUT every morning I eat bran flakes with yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, and almonds, no added sugar.
I eat salad with every supper, usually with spinach, raw broccoli, and tomatoes.
LOVE Brussels Sprouts!
LOVE fruity smoothies!
Quinoa? Sorry, I think it tastes like dust.
I miss sprouts. I may start sprouting my own. Any pointers?

My diet is a mix of healthy/unhealthy foods. I love sugar(but not sodas as much as I used to) and I love pork (especially bacon) BUT every morning I eat bran flakes with yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, and almonds, no added sugar.
I eat salad with every supper, usually with spinach, raw broccoli, and tomatoes.
LOVE Brussels Sprouts!
LOVE fruity smoothies!
Quinoa? Sorry, I think it tastes like dust.
I miss sprouts. I may start sprouting my own. Any pointers?
All of those foods sound great!

What kind of yoghurt do you use for breakfast? Gotta be careful with some yoghurts, especially if they're flavoured, as they can have quite a bit of sugar in them. Gotta check the nutrition panel on the packaging. Plain/natural Greek yoghurts often have the least amount of sugar. Coconut milk yoghurts are also low sugar, and I LOVE the taste :)

Salads really are endless at the possibilities. Using spinach, raw broccoli and tomatoes is very healthy BUT you are really limiting yourself on flavour there, and you could risk getting bored of it. Are you using those ingredients for a particular reason e.g. you grow your own spinach, broccoli and tomatoes? Or is it a cost-constraint? There are sooooo many incredibly delicious salads you can make if you're willing to branch out a little to other ingredients.

I like brussel sprouts too!! But my husband hates them so we never eat them, boooooo haha. He's a head chef so I'm like MATE, you can make ANYTHING taste good, let's just try some brussel sprouts. But he's like nope nope nope nope nope. I think he's too traumatised from having to eat them as a kid haha.

With quinoa, it's the kind of thing that you definitely have to know how to cook and prepare properly. If you cook it the same way as rice, it is really shit. My partner makes THE MOST AMAZING quinoa dishes, I'm like I don't even care how you do it, just keep serving it to me hahahaha.

The most healthy thing I'm consuming is fortisip nutrient supplement drinks, the one I just drank might come back up in a sec though lol

i made chakshouka last night- think that is pretty healthy, served with a lot of salad. very tasty dinner.

also made kuku, iranian herb frittery-omeletty thing, also served with lots of salad, in the week. am back on my diet and so far doing pretty well, not finding it too difficult to resist unhealthy snacks and limit carbs and unhealthy fats at meal times.

What is that babe?

slow cooked onions and peppers flavoured with cumin seeds and paprika, then you add tinned tomatoes and cook a bit more. then crack some eggs on the top and bake in the oven. very easy and tasty, and i say that as someone who is really funny about eggs, i very rarely choose to cook with them.

All of those foods sound great!

What kind of yoghurt do you use for breakfast? Gotta be careful with some yoghurts, especially if they're flavoured, as they can have quite a bit of sugar in them. Gotta check the nutrition panel on the packaging. Plain/natural Greek yoghurts often have the least amount of sugar. Coconut milk yoghurts are also low sugar, and I LOVE the taste :)

Salads really are endless at the possibilities. Using spinach, raw broccoli and tomatoes is very healthy BUT you are really limiting yourself on flavour there, and you could risk getting bored of it. Are you using those ingredients for a particular reason e.g. you grow your own spinach, broccoli and tomatoes?

Sorry bout that...my phone is fucked up.
Yes, I always grow tomatoes, various peppers, herbs, and weed. Wanting to expand my garden.
Yogurt? Some flavored, but mostly plain Greek. Recently made my own and it's OK but a little gritty. Not sure what I did wrong.
Still want to do my own sprouts-- especially alfalfa & radish.