• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today? - v2

I am getting to the point where I just believe IEC is just not an accurate lab. I already asked them to re-test, and they did. Both times they could not see anything other than MDMA. There is 16% of the sample unaccounted for, however. What is in the 16%? Obviously, it was something that did not agree with me, personally. It may have been an "inert" ingredient that I was simply allergic to, that is possible.
I'm getting more mad about this. The point of these facilities is safety. If they can't do as good a job as home test kits then wtf? Also, how does their thresholding procedure affect the percentage estimations? Does ignoring anything that falls below a volume threshold, or isn't in the references, mean that the 84% is of the 100% - discarded component mass? Or is it definitely measured that there is a certain mass of mdma and this is 84% of the mass of the original sample?

Anyway, I agree that IEC is not accurate, seemingly less so than reagents in this case. On a positive note it highlights that we probably don't have a reliable record of mdma quality and so all of the arguments in this thread are still very much on the table.

I find this bit interesting as many people in the thread have used the claim that the effects of no other drug have substantially changed for them over the years to discount the possibility of tolerance/age related issues. It isn't entirely clear from your post, are you able to "make your own" cocaine that retains the same effects as before, or is all the cocaine you try these days substantially inferior to what you had used in your youth?

Does anyone else have a similar experience with cocaine?
No, the cocaine that I made was exactly the same as it was in the 1980s. No different. Top of the world, nothing better. I should’ve added that the reason cocaine has been ruined her since 1991 is the addition of levamisole at the initial source. It doesn’t matter what they do with it once it hits the States, it’s already ruined before it leaves its country of origin.

No, the cocaine that I made was exactly the same as it was in the 1980s. No different. Top of the world, nothing better. I should’ve added that the reason cocaine has been ruined her since 1991 is the addition of levamisole at the initial source. It doesn’t matter what they do with it once it hits the States, it’s already ruined before it leaves its country of origin.

Levamisole can be washed out of the freebase with multiple hot water washes, and it wasn’t really being added often until late 00’s. Looking at analysis it seems to be waning in popularity as a cutting agent.

-GC

No, the cocaine that I made
The cocaine… that you made? That you made?? You made cocaine? Or are you talking about the coke you used to rinse with really cold, dry acetone? I guess cleaning it is “making it”, sorta. How did we get on that topic from this thread anyway?

its well known in international drug scene califorina has shit fucking mdma.
How would you know? What qualifies you to make this statement? I know for fact there is very-high-quality MDMA in California right now, and I’m sure we could find some bunk shit too if we looked around, just like anywhere.

You act like you have some kind of exclusive access to the world’s biggest, most informed, and most connected drug dealers and that you can accurately make a statement like this, as if you’ve been recently polling GDF chemists, Cartels, Kingpins, Triad bosses, Yakuza suppliers and you definitely know that ALL the MDMA in the entire state of California is all, quote: “shit fucking MDMA” you having a handle on that entire scene and possessing the unique ability to flippantly dismiss all of the MDMA in California. I’m sure that’s accurate. Aren’t you from New Zealand? You big, important, international hustler, you?

It is a well known fact in the swanky International Association Making All Psychedelic Research Available Today—otherwise known as “IAMAPRAT”—that the only good MDMA in the world is in Auckland. Otherwise it’s all “shit fucking MDMA”. It specifically makes one want to fuck big piles of shit, and there are plenty of them the world over.

But seriously, you should question your info source before repeating shit like this… in between all the global jet-setting you must do, rubbing elbows with all the A-listers that yields this inside knowledge of the oh-so-exclusive Drug Scene Internacional. 😂

Damn this is still going lol, would love if someone could reply to this with any super interesting/promising stuff thats been learned over the last year or so?

I took MDMA twice this summer, 100mg each as always, in similar settings. Same batch of the "magic" stuff I've had for the last.... jeez over 2 years now. Just wanted to mention some thoughts that stuck with me. I now feel that MDMA is a lot more variable to set+setting than I once gave it credit for. I agree with a lot of thing's Kaden's mentioned on this.

I had basically only been taking MDMA at festivals for years n years, n then the 2 times this summer were at ~40 person events friends & I threw in the woods (lights, dj lineup, big speakers, big sub, campin', you get the picture).

Observation 1: First thing; my extreme anxiety/i-am-going-to-die come-up was VASTLY diminished in these settings. Night & day difference between coming up in a hot crowd with security & randoms around, overexposed light, basically a complete lack of control of your environment, versus just taking a stroll around the perimeter of the campsite in the peaceful dark forest where theres a whole lot less to go wrong.

Observation 2: On the flipside, while I'm proud of ourselves as armchair sound techs, I found that without these insane, huge festival speakers, bass that can blur your vision, the absolute fever pitch of the roll is somewhat diminished. Furthermore, the type of music (& how much you like it) has a big impact I think, one of the times I was hammock locked through a set of trancey deep house followed by deep dubstep. Was having a great time but I was convinced it was gonna be one of those rolls where I'm just stuck. But, next set came around, finally a big snare, and immediately I was energized and wilding out. Felt like this moment set something off.

Observation 3: As well, on the 2nd roll, our campsite got invaded by randoms. Lot of expensive equipment out, some of them not being respectful, some poking around in areas they had no business in, had to figure out how to kick them out cause it was technically public... This basically made the first bit of the roll pretty paranoid and edgy, I kept thinking people were stealing stuff, trying to gather my belongings so they were safe, etc. Finally, friend just got on the mic and told everyone who wasn't part of the group to fuck off... Roll kicked in full swing right after. Again, felt like this moment set something off.

I don't think my anecdotes are truly any more meaningful than anyone elses here, but having the batch+dose 100% constant the last few rolls (that I know in my heart is the true MDMA experience), has made me realize how much more variable this stuff is scenario to scenario. Hell, I think just getting your heart-rate up dancing when you're rolling potentiates it for sure. And I'll always remember the time this couple just stood and glared at us for half a set for not giving them a whippit killed my roll until they went away.

And as always, everyone taking the exact same batch at these events, there is still a portion of the group that whether take 1 or take 2, it still just does not work for them anymore. (FWIW most of them also report gastro issues accompanying a roll that is not only diminished, but undesirable feeling entirely).

I still think this topic is pretty interesting, few of those papers i remember digging up still haunting me with what they suggested about MDMA variance that could go undetected, but I dunno how on earth we'd figure anything out without a ton of really controlled research & information.

What to me seemed weird is the difference between the 'so called' MDMA made in university lab had a slow come up and had a psychedelic feel Felt like Psylocybin at first. It also came up in slow waves. Not something i enjoyed.

No way to know for sure but at that time a good pill, like the Audi's going around like my initial response were way better despite the lower dosage. They kicked in hard and the waves were more intense.and more like a fast version of these so called lab grade MDMA. It was definetily not MDA or MDEA .And the APB serie's were not even known.

Why ? I have no clue. But MDMA is MDMA just is not an explanation. Al ll these pills/ powders were tested as MDMA

What to me seemed weird is the difference between the 'so called' MDMA made in university lab had a slow come up and had a psychedelic feel Felt like Psylocybin at first. It also came up in slow waves. Not something i enjoyed.

No way to know for sure but at that time a good pill, like the Audi's going around like my initial response were way better despite the lower dosage. They kicked in hard and the waves were more intense.and more like a fast version of these so called lab grade MDMA. It was definetily not MDA or MDEA .And the APB serie's were not even known.

Why ? I have no clue. But MDMA is MDMA just is not an explanation. Al ll these pills/ powders were tested as MDMA
Sort of along the lines of what i mentioned above, I've been taking the same batch+dose the last few times, and the timeline between ingesting it and the peak feels highly variable. It always strikes me as relatively quick for that first alert that something's up, but the time & feelings between that and the peak seems inconsistent. My best guess is this has something to do with digestion + whats in your stomach already. In fact, I'd go as far to wonder if what, how much, and how long ago you ate might have an effect on the overall experience. I figure your digestion could literally cause a pseudo time-release sort of situation, with any drug really.

The thing with MDMA that sets it apart from other drugs is this all-or-nothing factor seems to come into play, which I think is why for myself I find the whole thing kicks into full gear sometimes in a specific, memorable moment.

I totally agree that some aspects of the MDMA come-up is similar to psilocybin, like this sensitive, brewing emotionally vulnerable, breakdown sort of feeling. Been microdosing mushrooms lately and the initial effects can feel like an MDMA come-up.

Sort of along the lines of what i mentioned above, I've been taking the same batch+dose the last few times, and the timeline between ingesting it and the peak feels highly variable. It always strikes me as relatively quick for that first alert that something's up, but the time & feelings between that and the peak seems inconsistent. My best guess is this has something to do with digestion + whats in your stomach already. In fact, I'd go as far to wonder if what, how much, and how long ago you ate might have an effect on the overall experience. I figure your digestion could literally cause a pseudo time-release sort of situation, with any drug really.

The thing with MDMA that sets it apart from other drugs is this all-or-nothing factor seems to come into play, which I think is why for myself I find the whole thing kicks into full gear sometimes in a specific, memorable moment.

I totally agree that some aspects of the MDMA come-up is similar to psilocybin, like this sensitive, brewing emotionally vulnerable, breakdown sort of feeling. Been microdosing mushrooms lately and the initial effects can feel like an MDMA come-up.
It was consistent any time i took that so called super MDMA. It was slow waves and a come up that especially the first time was the same as a Psylocibine Mushroom come up. He tested it with one of these test in front of me. The other time I brought to a testing facility myself. And it was MDMA

I preferred pill's that were tested as pur MDMA just like the caps. That was why my guess was is this MDA but the test center ruled that out. So my second guess was is this one of the isomere's of MDMA. No ieda what's the most active one.But they don't test for that if I am correct.

Right, it doesn't add up, unless: the testing facility isn't reliable. It seems International Energy Control can't tell the difference between their butts and huge chunks of unidentified, unaccounted for mystery alkaloids. They're just cashing checks and giving out pointless, meaningless, useless data about supposed "e-pills", aside from the fact they probably de facto test for fentanyl and its ilk (I would like to think; or it's just one big quasi-scam, which I wouldn't rule out just yet).

It would help to identify a few different reliable testing services and then send the same product to multiple places and see how they compare / use this to "calibrate" by comparing test results, looking for outlying data.

EDIT: just wanted to add →it's not wise to rely solely on subjective experiences and anecdotal accounts. We've got that for days. What we need is reliable lab data to back this all up with the certainty of rigorously tested science and analytics.

Last edited:
Lol okay Karen. You’re getting all worked up and babbling over something of which you apparently know nothing about. Haven’t sent any samples in? I sure did sweetheart. To EcstasyData.org. MDMA:1 same as all the crap I sent in. No difference in results. Where have you been? You want to call bullshit on what? Your arrogance? When did you start doing ecstasy Karen? I mean since you’re so knowledgeable. What, 20 years, 30 years ago? Probably more like 5 and all of a sudden you’re gonna write a book on the subject. Open your fucking mind. Listen to what I’m saying. Don’t try and pretend you’re some knowledgeable pessimistic glass half empty kind of drug guru who just happens to write very eloquently. You’re not. Not even close. You’re just some chick online posting bullshit about something you know nothing about and trying to convince others that everything is bullshit. It’s not. The MDMA today sucks. Period. It ain’t me, it’s the shit. You live close to me Karen? I’d be half tempted to shove some of this down your throat and listen to what you have to say then. Hypothetically speaking of course. PM me if so. Back to the subject. There are markers and indicators that are visual that can easily detect new shit from old school shit. Complete pupil dilation. This is non-negotiable. If your MDMA does not dilate your pupils all the way to the outer edge of your eyeball, there is something wrong with your MDMA. Again, non-negotiable. Tactile enhancement. If tactile sensitivity is not increased 1000 fold, there is something wrong with your MDMA. Taste sensitivity. If taste sensitivity is not increased 1000 fold, there is something wrong with your MDMA. You talk about people with negative experiences on MDMA. For the first 25 years I did ecstasy of which I did it very very often and with many many others, no one ever said that. That’s weird don’t you think. The only time that ever came up was when someone did something sold to them as ecstasy that actually wasn’t. Piperazine, meth laced pills etc. But nowadays that kind of statement is commonplace. You don’t find that odd Karen? But again, you know more than I do so what the fuck am I even talking about. I can tell you that I partied like a rockstar from the mid-80s all the way until the early 2000s but you’ll just call bs so what’s the use. I’ve done more drugs than many who’ve overdosed and died over the years. Many of them my good friends including my best friend in ‘97. I started doing blow when it was an enjoyable drug and started making my own In the early 2000s once good blow became a thing of the past. I’m going to tell you this even though you obviously already know the answer…cocaine is a wonderful drug. Conversation flows like newborn Buddhas, extremely animalistic sexually, you can see for miles, a complete feeling of euphoria and a feeling of being on top of the world, better than anyone else, as good as it gets, a complete contradiction to the blow available on the streets today. I’m sure you already knew that though, right? I’m not a chemist but I learned how to make it on my own by listening to those more knowledgeable than me. Something you should probably take note of biscuit. You want to sit back in your little chair at your computer and bash on others more knowledgeable than you because you got some stick up your ass then that’s your choice. My suggestion is that you listen to what I’m saying and believe it and be a part of the solution rather than just adding to the problem. It happened to cocaine and now it’s happened to ecstasy. That’s a fact whether you want to believe it or not. I’m not going to sit here and go back-and-forth with you arguing over who knows more or who’s done more. I already know the answer. This is the last time I will engage with you. Unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation. Have a great Christmas and a happy holiday. Le Junk drops the mic.

I agree with all of this minus the hostility and putdowns - although I totally understand and sympathise with the frustration and anger Le Junk must be experiencing from these types of comments.

Look, as unodelacosa says above, the answer to this is in the science. And believe me, popping back every now and again, it’s frustrating we haven’t been able to move this in the direction we need to - through no fault of the tireless work of the most significant and regular contributors to this and the earlier thread.

I have been a member of this incredible site for just over 22 years now, and I consider this thread and it’s previous incarnation the most important I’ve come across (the RIP member threads aside, which are in a different and altogether other category).

The real problem we are up against here is that until a government forensic laboratory or university laboratory equipped to identify every last contaminant in a batch of submitted MDMA together with the proportions of S and R isomer in each batch takes the time to investigate this issue, we aren’t going to move forward. This is essential if we are ever going to answer this question and regrettably the labs that us minions have access to via the voluntary submitting of supposed MDMA samples, simply are not able to provide these answers.

I pause at this point to invite everyone to read this article:

Isomers make a difference peoples! (my play on the title)

Near the beginning of this saga, I floated the idea that the new production methods might produce different isomer ratios, which if true, will, not may, but WILL, change the effect of the MDMA without changing the BASIC laboratory test result of any such sample. I was shot down for such a wild hypothesis, but unless someone can update me, I don’t believe we have had a scientific answer to this entirely plausible theory.

Let’s take a step back for a moment:

Pre-2010 - threads like this one didn’t exist because they didn’t need to; as provided you found a pill or powder that actually had any MDMA in it at all, then it’s effect was predictable, expected and consistent (dose and purity willing).

In or about 2010 - following the DEA’s and AFP’s “great sassafras oil (= safrole) containing plant eradication in Cambodia and beyond” of June 2008, the entire world’s supply of MDMA had seemingly dried up. For the next two years, certainly in Australia at least, all we had were piperazines, meth bombs, k bombs and sugar bombs.

Post 2012: then suddenly MDMA was back, and back in a big way; MDMA powder and crystal were everywhere and the mega dosed MDMA pills, three times as strong as pills on the market before 2010, were now commonplace.

That should have set off alarm bells there and then. But it didn’t. However, it certainly did when those 300mg dosed pills were consumed and found to be nothing like the 100mg dosed “life changing and life affirming” pills which populated the market five years and earlier before that.

So what changed.

Well an analysis of the government forensic laboratory reports of seized MDMA the world over since 2012, provides a stark and undeniable answer. The precursor was no longer safrole or isosafrole; the precursor or pre-precursor as it technically is, is now PMK-glycidate or similar.

However, just as important but forever overlooked (and putting the even earlier Leuckhart reaction to one side for the moment), was that the method of reductive amination, that is the conversion of the achiral MD-P2P or PMK to chiral MDMA through an achiral imine intermediate, changed completely as well; from predominately the reducing agent Sodium Borohydride to the vast majority of MDMA samples the world over, now being created through reductive amination via platinum or palladium catalytic hydrogenation.

These two changes, that is to the glycidate pre-precursor and to the catalytic hydrogenation reductive amination method, occurred at the EXACTLY THE SAME TIME.

And low and behold, at around EXACTLY THE SAME TIME as the ‘subjective effects change’ that Le Junk and so many other long term MDMA users have identified. This is a fact.

Whether you believe Le Junk or not, the above is a scientific fact. Personally, I believe and agree with Le Junk 100%; and I bet my chemistry degree, my law degree, my 15 years of involvement in law enforcement, my 22 years membership of this site, and my 24 years as a drug user, on it.

Believe me the answer is in the above fundamental change to the way this drug is largely and illicitly produced. In my opinion it is surely because this new method of manufacture either results in:

(i) the isomer ratio of the MDMA produced being changed - specifically the proportion of S isomer relative to the R isomer in the MDMA produced is substantially reduced; or

(ii) the creation of a potent impurity that was not produced by the earlier methods and which is not being purified out (i.e. removed) from the illicitly manufactured MDMA - an impurity that largely blocks the relevant neurotransmitter transporters (thus acting like how SSRIs and the like act for those who take such medications and then try to get a decent effect from MDMA); or

(iii) both.

People should also remember that the final step of the MDMA reaction converts an achiral planar molecule (MD-P2P) to the chiral MDMA, in supposedly racemic proportions. Well what if this change to a different method of reductive amination (not animation as I mistakenly typed; many thanks to unodelacosa for the impeccable proof reading he has done on my post as detailed below) has skewed this ratio completely - surprise, surprise at the same time this meh-MDMA has first popped up? Where is the scientific proof the isomer issue isn’t the problem? It’s a massive problem for meth (albeit for different reasons), why isn’t it the answer here? I want to be proved wrong, someone tell me we have the answer for this already.

If we have and these post-2012 methods of manufacture still produce racemic MDMA, then the answer must be the presence of a dimer type impurity that blocks some of the most important aspects of the MDMA experience, including the long forgotten oxytocin effect (who knows what the neurochemical mechanism for this is).

The only way these matters will be resolved is via state of the art forensic laboratory analysis of the impurity and isomeric profiles of MDMA knowingly manufactured via the current main method of manufacture, as compared with the impurity and isomeric profiles of MDMA knowingly manufactured via the methods utilised in the years gone by.

One way or the other, therein we will find the answers that we all seek. And, personally I have no doubt, therein you will also find that Le Junk and all those who have supported him or her, will be vindicated.

Last edited:
Look the answer to this is in the science.
The real problem we are up against here is that until a government forensic laboratory or university laboratory equipped to identify every last contaminant in a batch of submitted MDMA together with the proportions of S and R isomer in each batch takes the time to investigate this issue, we aren’t going to move forward.
Studies like this have been conducted in the past. Relevant links:
This is essential if we are ever going to answer this question and regrettably the labs that us minions have access to via the voluntary submitting of supposed MDMA samples, simply are not able to provide these answers.
Near the beginning of this saga, I floated the idea that the new production methods might produce different isomer ratios, which if true, will, not may, but WILL, change the effect of the MDMA. I was shot down for such a wild hypothesis, but unless someone can update me, I don’t believe we have had a scientific answer to this entirely plausible theory.
While possible, I seriously doubt this is plausible. The reason why is that, AFAIK, the reductive amination of MDP-2-P results in a 50/50 racemic mixture of isomers. These isomers can be separated and resolved via the chiral tartaric acid, but are otherwise in one-to-one equilibrium. Moreover, there is a synergistic quality to the combined qualitative effects of both isomers with each potentiating the other.
Pre-2010 - threads like this one didn’t exist because they didn’t need to; as provided you found a pill or powder that actually had any MDMA in it at all, then it’s effect was predictable, expected and consistent (dose and purity willing).
I'm not so sure of this. I've heard people complain about the "losing the magic" for many, many years, at least as early as 2000.
In or about 2010 - following the “great DEA safrole-plant containing eradication in Cambodia and beyond” in June 2008 within 12-24 months seemingly the entire world’s supply of MDMA dried up. For the next two years, certainly in Australia at least, all we had were piperazines, meth bombs, k bombs and sugar bombs.
Post 2012: then suddenly MDMA was back, and back in a big way; MDMA powder and crystal were everywhere and the mega dosed MDMA pills, three times as strong as pills on the market before 2010, we’re now commonplace.
That should have set off alarm bells there and then. But it didn’t. However, it certainly did when those 300mg dosed pills were consumed and found to be nothing like the 100mg dosed “life changing and life affirming” pills which populated the market five years and earlier before that.
Just to be clear, I assume you're still talking about the Australian market?
So what changed.
Well an analysis of the government forensic laboratory reports of seized MDMA the world over since 2012, provides a stark and undeniable answer. The precursor was no longer safrole or isosafrole; the precursor or pre-precursor as it technically is, is now PMK-glycidate or similar.
There is not just one precursor. It did not globally shift all at once, and there still remain multiple ways of manufacturing MDMA. If someone is starting from safrole, they will convert it to isosafrole and then to MDP-2-P most likely. With something like a p-Benzoquinone Wacker oxidation, this isomerization of safrole already is handled in situ during this reaction that results in producing the intermediate ketone, MDP-2-P, also known as piperonal methyl ketone (PMK). However, MDMA producers also started to purchase PMK-glycidate which is technically not a List 1 precursor and is thus much easier for a country like China to ship overseas whilst avoiding legal issues that would otherwise block its shipment. The glycidate molecule is easily removed and the result is pure, achiral MDP-2-P which can be converted to MDA, MDMA, MDE, etc.
Just as important however, but forever overlooked, the method of reductive amination, that is the conversion of the achiral MD-P2P or PMK to chiral MDMA through an achiral imine intermediate, changed from predominately Sodium Borohydride or the Leuckhart reaction, to the vast majority of MDMA samples the world over being found to be reduced via platinum or palladium catalytic hydrogenation.
What's your source of information on this? I would think the methylamine + aluminium + mercuric chloride amalgam reductive amination would be more prevalent. Regardless, going from MDP-2-P almost always results in a racemate. Are there any popular, stereospecific methods of producing MDMA out there in common use? Doesn't sound super likely, but perhaps I'm wrong. After all, the Nagai Route and the Birch Reduction both produce stereospecific results of d-methamphetamine conversion from ephedrine / pseudoephedrine.
These two changes, that is to the glycidate pre-precursor and to the catalytic hydrogenation reductive amination method, occurred at the EXACTLY THE SAME TIME.
"Exactly"? Come on, man. And what's more, correlation does not prove (or imply) causation. There is always coincidence, even if what you're saying is correct.
And low and behold, at around EXACTLY THE SAME TIME as the change that Le Junk and so many other long term MDMA users have identified.
Again: "exactly"? And so anyways? (And it's "lo and behold", btw, not "low").
This is a fact.
Is it though?
Whether you believe Le Junk or not, the above is a scientific fact.
Ooh, not just any fact…
Personally, I believe and agree with Le Junk 100%; and I bet my chemistry degree,
You have a degree in just good ol' generic "chemistry" and not "chemical engineering"? Okay.
my law degree,
And a JD degree? You majored in "chemistry" and then went on to become a lawyer, or at least graduate law school?
my 15 years of involvement in law enforcement,
This is kind of vague and doesn't have much if anything to do with the subject at hand. But what so you worked at a D.A.'s office or something? How would that qualify you as an expert on the topic of global MDMA purity?
my 22 years membership of this site, and my 24 years as a drug user, on it.
This is an odd combination of qualifications, you know…
Believe me the answer is in the above change. It is either because this new method of manufacture results in:
Even if what you're saying is correct, it's still not a new method of manufacture and the results will still be racemic in nature.
(i) the isomer ratio of the MDMA produced (reducing the amount of S isomer substantially) being changed; or
I see no evidence why this would occur
(ii) this new method leaving behind a potent impurity that is not purified from the illicitly manufactured MDMA - an impurity that largely blocks the relevant neurotransmitter transporters (thus acting like how SSRIs and the like act for those who take such medications and then try to get a decent effect from MDMA); or
An impurity making it to the consumer in this fashion would be because of inept chemists attempting to produce MDMA and it would be the fault of this and not the methodology necessarily. PMK-glycidate being called a "pre-precursor" is not a technical name of anything either, btw, this is just pure gibberish. For that matter, Safrole could be considered as much, if not more, of a "pre-precursor". As I understand it, a light reflux in a solution of hydrochloric acid removes the glycidate, and the ketone can be taken up in a nonpolar solvent appropriate for the next procedure, typically a reductive amination of some form.
(iii) both.
Clarifying nothing, but kinda hedging bets, right?
People should also remember that the final step of the MDMA reaction converts an achiral planar molecule (MD-P2P) to the chiral MDMA, in supposedly racemic proportions.
Do you have any evidence to the contrary? I find no reason to believe that MDP-2-P → MDMA routes produce anything but racemic results. Please show me where you got the notion that other isomer ratios occur in these procedures.
Well what if this change to a different method of reductive animation has skewed this ratio completely -
Again, I don't find it likely, but if you have evidence to the contrary, I'm open to seeing it. And it's reductive amination not reductive animation, btw, but I'm a fan of both, generally.
surprise, surprise at the same time this meh-MDMA has first popped up?
Again, correlation doesn't prove causation, so pump your brakes.
Where is the scientific proof the isomer issue isn’t the problem?
More importantly, where is the proof that it is the problem? This has been addressed in this thread already and shot down on the basis of the published results of law enforcement testing seized samples and the vast majority coming back as racemic blends, as expected and for obvious reasons.
It’s a massive problem for meth (albeit for different reasons), why isn’t it the answer here?
Let's see, well for starters methamphetamine and MDMA are not the same drug. They have different effect profiles, pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics. This alone negates the utility of this comparison, but on top of that, I don't think I would say the differences in qualitative effects between optical isomers of meth is a "massive problem for meth". One isomer is prefered, or rather, the isolated dextrorotatory isomer is prefered to the racemic blend of the two isomers, purportedly, but both are sold and used daily. Much of this isomer thing with meth is the result of the ubiquity of stereospecific ephedrine reduction procedures, and less to do with customer knowledge of the isomers' differing effects.
I want to be proved wrong, someone tell me we have the answer for this already.
I think you're making a lot of false assumptions and jumping to conclusions about these drugs, no offense. And please understand that I appreciate your enthusiasm and apparent knowledge combined with a willingness to connect the dots, but sometimes it's easy to get caught up in confirmation biases and similar gotchas.
If we have and these post-2012 methods of manufacture still produce racemic MDMA, then the answer must be the presence of a dimer type impurity that blocks some of the most important aspects of the MDMA experience, including the long forgotten oxytocin effect (who knows what the neurochemical mechanism for this is).
Wait a minute, just a few sentences ago you were willing to bet your academic degrees on the issue being related to MDMA isomers. Now we're talking about "dimer-type" impurities.
The only way these matters will be resolved is via state of the art forensic laboratory analysis of the impurity and isomeric profiles of MDMA knowingly manufactured via the current main method of manufacture, as compared with the impurity and isomeric profiles of MDMA knowingly manufactured via the methods utilised in the years gone by.
So first of all, I believe trials on MDMA have been done by Big Pharma and nothing all that state-of-the-art needs to be involved beyond the current accepted standard of analytics in biochemistry. It's just getting the greenlight to do this. As far as comparing it to clandestine manufacturing, there's no clear need for the govt. or for Big Pharma to conduct such research on street drugs. What would be gained of importance or potential profit from this knowledge? Nothing I can think of. There's no clear incentive for anyone to do this research. So I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening any time soon.
One way or the other, therein we’ll find the answers we all seek.
No, I doubt this very seriously. I don't think there will ever be a fully satisfying answer to this debate, and I'm okay with this. Probably best to adjust for this reality, too.
And personally I have no doubt, therein you’ll also find that Le Junk and all those who have supported him or her, will be vindicated.
Look, none of this is personal, even if it feels that way on here momentarily. It's just an illusion caused by the Internet's tendency to make mountains out of molehills and vice versa. There are too many unknown variables and the nature of the criminal and underground aspects of "street drug" forms of MDMA make it almost impossible to investigate this, particularly as it pertains to MDMA of the past. Vindication seems like something to be used to right a wrong or to clear the accused of allegations against them. Here, there's nothing to vindicate. This is all just speculation and conjecture. Some people will agree with some ideas and others will agree with other ideas, and others still will remain without making up their minds. It hardly matters since it's doubtful anyone will ever know. Theories are always interesting to hear and to share, but conclusions need not be drawn and probably should not be drawn for an overall lack of sufficient data to determine what's the cause of the reports of lackluster MDMA experiences.

Or you know, pick out your own personal favorite theory and just stick with that no matter what anyone says… or until someone comes along with a more plausible theory that matches better with the facts and then take a new stance on the topic to feign, or really prove, enlightenment. Doubtful it will mean much, and this is probably good advice… if you have shit for brains.

Expectation is the thief of joy.

I agree with all of this minus the hostility and putdowns - although I totally understand and sympathise with the frustration and anger Le Junk must be experiencing from these types of comments.

Look, as unodelacosa says above, the answer to this is in the science. And believe me, popping back every now and again, it’s frustrating we haven’t been able to move this in the direction we need to - through no fault of the tireless work of the most significant and regular contributors to this and the earlier thread.

I have been a member of this incredible site for just over 22 years now, and I consider this thread and it’s previous incarnation the most important I’ve come across (the RIP member threads aside, which are in a different and altogether other category).

The real problem we are up against here is that until a government forensic laboratory or university laboratory equipped to identify every last contaminant in a batch of submitted MDMA together with the proportions of S and R isomer in each batch takes the time to investigate this issue, we aren’t going to move forward. This is essential if we are ever going to answer this question and regrettably the labs that us minions have access to via the voluntary submitting of supposed MDMA samples, simply are not able to provide these answers.

Near the beginning of this saga, I floated the idea that the new production methods might produce different isomer ratios, which if true, will, not may, but WILL, change the effect of the MDMA without changing the BASIC laboratory test result of any such sample. I was shot down for such a wild hypothesis, but unless someone can update me, I don’t believe we have had a scientific answer to this entirely plausible theory.

In or about 2010 - following the DEA’s and AFP’s “great sassafras oil (= safrole) containing plant eradication in Cambodia and beyond” of June 2008, the entire world’s supply of MDMA had seemingly dried up. For the next two years, certainly in Australia at least, all we had were piperazines, meth bombs, k bombs and sugar bombs.

Post 2012: then suddenly MDMA was back, and back in a big way; MDMA powder and crystal were everywhere and the mega dosed MDMA pills, three times as strong as pills on the market before 2010, were now commonplace.

So what changed.

However, just as important but forever overlooked (and putting the even earlier Leuckhart reaction to one side for the moment), was that the method of reductive amination, that is the conversion of the achiral MD-P2P or PMK to chiral MDMA through an achiral imine intermediate, changed completely as well; from predominately the reducing agent Sodium Borohydride to the vast majority of MDMA samples the world over, now being created through reductive amination via platinum or palladium catalytic hydrogenation.

And low and behold, at around EXACTLY THE SAME TIME as the ‘subjective effects change’ that Le Junk and so many other long term MDMA users have identified. This is a fact.

Whether you believe Le Junk or not, the above is a scientific fact. Personally, I believe and agree with Le Junk 100%; and I bet my chemistry degree, my law degree, my 15 years of involvement in law enforcement, my 22 years membership of this site, and my 24 years as a drug user, on it.

Believe me the answer is in the above fundamental change to the way this drug is largely and illicitly produced. In my opinion it is surely because this new method of manufacture either results in:

(i) the isomer ratio of the MDMA produced being changed - specifically the proportion of S isomer relative to the R isomer in the MDMA produced is substantially reduced; or

(ii) the creation of a potent impurity that was not produced by the earlier methods and which is not being purified out (i.e. removed) from the illicitly manufactured MDMA - an impurity that largely blocks the relevant neurotransmitter transporters (thus acting like how SSRIs and the like act for those who take such medications and then try to get a decent effect from MDMA); or

(iii) both.

People should also remember that the final step of the MDMA reaction converts an achiral planar molecule (MD-P2P) to the chiral MDMA, in supposedly racemic proportions. Well what if this change to a different method of reductive animation has skewed this ratio completely - surprise, surprise at the same time this meh-MDMA has first popped up? Where is the scientific proof the isomer issue isn’t the problem? It’s a massive problem for meth (albeit for different reasons), why isn’t it the answer here? I want to be proved wrong, someone tell me we have the answer for this already.

One way or the other, therein we will find the answers that we all seek. And, personally I have no doubt, therein you will also find that Le Junk and all those who have supported him or her, will be vindicated.

It’s been awhile and this rehash has reminded me that indeed MDMA batches can and do vary. I’ve always been a believer in that, but at times hard to believe it’s as bad as people want to think it is..

So in regards to the isomers I’m pretty sure I found a research article post 2010 that showed all the samples analyzed were racemic. Note though it was done in South America where older methods of production still exist and safrole is easy to obtain relatively. I still feel it’s worth mentioning though. What WAS interesting about that article was he showed the exact isomer ratios and they were at most skewed by about 6-7% one way or the other. All this is in a past post but this slight variation would have perceived differences in effects, just not to the level many claim here.

That article you posted is very interesting however and shows a potentiation or prolactin release by the racemic mixture over either isolated isomer. While they don’t test oxytocin (shame) I’m willing to bet the same applies. It’s my belief the oxytocin is what makes MDMA a truly unique experience, one that’s brought people together from all walks of life. While it doesn’t provide the “reinforcing” effects of MDMA (whatever the fuck those are..) it does give it the beauty we all cherish.

So it would seem possible batches that go heavy either direction with the isomer variation would start to lose the love factor. That’s pretty in line with the sparse reports we find of the isolated isomers. S-MDMA seems to not have that special something despite looking good in the monoamine category, that’s hormonal related.

Idk I had an amazing experience last weekend with some Pedro extract, 140mg MDMA and 50mg MDA. Just sat at home and took a trip into the past with my wife via deep conversation. This week has been absolutely great getting back to the things I love. I’m sure the Pedro and Sass added their own flare but if the MDMA was garbage the rest of the experience would’ve been too. The love is still very much alive around here.

As I’ve said before, the answer may actually lie in the MDA. I notice the areas that don’t complain of MDMA problems also have decent MDA scenes. Whereas the areas with zero MDA seem to have complaints. This is likely indicative of different precursor resources in different locations. Even though most all of it is clear well formed crystals, we still smell safrole more often than not on the product around here. I sometimes wonder if they just add a tiny amount after the fact as a signifier, because I’d expect a more impure product if it carried through to the end.

-GC

This is directed at unodelacosa’s reply not GChems…

Omg the same tired and tested responses. I’ll reply properly tomorrow, as it is the middle of the night in Australia.

What exactly are you contributing to this discussion and what are your qualifications to make the sweeping criticisms of my comments that you have made?

I never said I was correct other than where I have had said “this is a fact”. I probably shouldn’t have said “exactly the same time” but that wasn’t intended to be taken literally.

Anyway, atm I cannot be bothered republishing the references I provided ages ago in the earlier thread for the changes in manufacture. It is in the type of government reports that ACIC and the United Nations release on illicit drug manufacture trends and precursors. And of course there isn’t just one method of manufacture l, but overall global trends are researched, investigated and published year by year, and from that, from time to time, clear changes can and do emerge.

My comment on the possibility of dimers being produced as an impurity messing with the effect is a direct reference to a highly persuasive article posted by indigoaura on this or the earlier thread, about this exact issue. That is the one negative about this and the earlier thread - is that all of this vital reference material posted over the years has gotten lost in the wash amongst this endless merry-go-round of discussion.

The articles you cite have no relevance at all. They are old and aluminum amalgam is not as common as people think and even if it was, it is in the vast minority now given the change that I have referred to.

I said the answers lie in the science. If these differing methods produce the same isomeric ratio and similar enough impurity profiles as the earlier methods, then Le Junk, me and any others making the claim at the heart of this argument, are wrong. And I’d be willing to admit that without reservation.

But until someone attempts this type of analysis like has been done in the now relatively ancient studies you’ve reproduced, who really can say. You attempt to cast doubt on these possibilities without even acknowledging the possibility to prove this scientifically. And that undercuts everything you have stated.

As for my own qualifications, I’m being deliberately vague for obvious reasons. But when it is important to demonstrate in a criminal prosecution that one batch of drugs comes from the same source as another batch of drugs, the government forensic chemists can do this and they do it often. The isomeric ratios are calculated and the adulterants and impurity profiles of different batches are determined. The route of manufacture can also be ascertained, given the impurities present in the mixture. This type of analysis is routinely done the world over and there is nothing unusual about this at all. What is the harm in giving it a go.

Yet you already have all the answers it seems. Personally, I’d rather see a real scientist try and then let us all know.

Last edited:
This is directed at unodelacosa’s reply not GChems…
There's a reply button just under my comments.
Omg the same tired and tested responses.
??? The procedures you mentioned all create racemic MDMA, not varying isomer mixes. There's the statement of fact.
What exactly are you contributing to this discussion and what are your qualifications to make the sweeping criticisms of my comments that you have made?
Read through any of my comments and posts if you want to get an idea of what I contribute. Res ipsa loquitur.
I probably shouldn’t have said “exactly the same time” but that wasn’t intended to be taken literally.
Odd wording then.
Anyway, atm I cannot be bothered republishing the references
–.–
My comment on the possibility of dimers being produced as an impurity messing with the effect is a direct reference to a highly persuasive article posted by indigoaura on this or the earlier thread, about this exact issue. That is the one negative about this and the earlier thread - is that all of this vital reference material posted over the years has gotten lost in the wash amongst this endless merry-go-round of discussion.
I've read everything that's been posted on both threads and have been contributing regularly myself. I still find no compelling evidence to think differing isomer ratios account for lackluster MDMA experiences, or even that they're at all commonplace.
The articles you cite have no relevance at all.
Yeah especially when you don't read them.
They are old and aluminum amalgam is not as common as people think and even if it was, it is in the vast minority now given the change that I have referred to.
I'll believe it when I see compelling evidence. Otherwise, given that it's the method Dr. Shulgin uses in PiHKAL and the relative ease with which the reagents can be procured, I believe that reaction will always be around in some fashion in the underground.
I said the answers lie in the science.
I said the same thing.
If these differing methods produce the same isomeric ratio and similar enough impurity profiles as the earlier methods, then Le Junk, me and any others making the claim at the heart of this argument, are wrong. And I’d be willing to admit that without reservation.
Well get to admitting then…
But until someone attempts this type of analysis like has been done in the now relatively ancient studies you’ve reproduced, who really can say.
You're just being difficult now and don't want to admit your reasoning is flawed. Ok, so exactly how old is a study allowed to be before you just disregard it as "ancient"?
You attempt to cast doubt on these possibilities without even acknowledging the possibility to prove this scientifically. And that undercuts everything you have stated.
Go read my posts in this very thread. You'll see that I clearly state that what we need is less reliance on these subjective anecdotes and more lab-generated data / science. Where do you get the idea that I haven't already acknowledged this possibility? After considering it, and knowing what I know about MDMA manufacture, I decided that your guess is probably not right. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not a big deal, and we can easily agree to disagree.
But when it is important to demonstrate in a criminal prosecution that one batch of drugs comes from the same source as another batch of drugs, the government forensic chemists can do this and they do it often. The isomeric ratios are calculated and the adulterants and impurity profiles of different batches are determined. The route of manufacture can also be ascertained, given the impurities present in the mixture. This type of analysis is routinely done the world over and there is nothing unusual about this at all.
This is how we know the VAST MAJORITY of confiscated MDMA is a 50/50 racemic mixture. This was covered earlier in this very thread, replete with links to the studies cited.
Yet you already have all the answers it seems.
No, if you actually paid attention to what I wrote, you would notice that I said I do not have the answers, nor do I find it likely that we'll ever have the answer with any certainty. I'm ok with this; are you?
Personally, I’d rather see a real scientist try and then let us all know.
Believe whatever you want, @Biscuit.

EDIT: refined grammar, syntex, and word choice.

Last edited:

We actually did get the the answer to this happily enough:
New science just dropped: https://analyticalsciencejournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/dta.3118

I know the thread has moved onto other theories since, but it's nice to be able to close off some old ones. Checking 97 samples seized in Germany from 2019-2020, MDMA was found to be extremely racemic.
dta3118-fig-0003-m.jpg

From the old thread, we can also see that this was true in the past as well.
kmNlP3v.png

Batch five was seized in 2006, batch 45 in 2011.
To preempt some counterpoints I'll quote a response I made when I originally posted this.
97 samples across two years. Different form factors and batches.
MDMA specimens were seized either as tablets of various colors (n = 63), in crystalline form (n = 30), or as powder (n = 1). Some seizures contained both tablets and crystalline samples.
You might be aware of this, but the majority of the worlds MDMA is produced in Europe. I doubt every sample in the study was produced locally in Germany (or even the majority of them), the largest labs are in Belgium and NL. You can certainly find arrests where people are moving large quantities of MDMA across the border into Germany. Even the paper acknowledges this:
Amphetamine and MDMA on the German market originate mainly from the Netherlands, where it is synthesized from various non-pharmaceutical precursors
If you know how to read a box and whiskers plot, you can see how racemic all of the samples were. There aren't the outliers that would indicate the presence of even a single mildly enantiomeric sample. So yes, I think we can infer a few things about the racemic status of the mass market MDMA produced in Europe, especially the stuff produced in the labs located close to Germany that supply most of the world.

I guess you didn't see them talking about it on the internet at the time, but people in this thread encountered "mehDMA" years before the big safrole busts. It's a very neat and tidy theory but the timelines don't line up. I would love to have a survey of what year people first took MDMA, the year they encountered "mehDMA" and a vague geographical location. One thing I've noticed from reading the thread is that there's a significant variation in the year it first appeared.

Thanks Nagi, that is exactly the sort of reply
I was hoping for. Constructive, articulate and answers the questions I posed. If those are indeed recent seizures then I agree the isomer possibility can be put to bed. This is the sort of constructive discussion that is useful, we disagree no doubt, and in this respect I am more than happy to be proved wrong.

As for unodelacosa, I’ve never I encountered such a scathing, dreadful attitude on this site until yours now. Have I wronged you in another life or something? Talk about disrespecting a fellow Bluelighter for no reason, never mind one who has been a member of this site since December 1999. This site has sadly changed, there was a sense of community that extended beyond borders and we supported each other. I don’t think I’ll bother contributing to such discussion much again, which I think long term members of this site, who have generally welcomed my contributions every so often for over 20 years, might be somewhat saddened to hear. As for the comment about a real scientist, I meant a real scientist who works with this sort of analysis as part of their profession and would likely already know the answers to these questions, because the data exists, it just isn’t widely available, including to me.

Anyway you asked for references, I’ll dig out some older ones, but pages 27 and 28 of the below report may assist you. In more recent years perhaps methods have changed further, I don’t know. And before you say this data is only for Australia, we have next to no local MDMA manufacturing down here and so whatever is seized and analysed has been produced overseas.

Last edited:
Edit: redacted melodrama and petty squabbling, pissing contests, and wasted energy, etc. My bad; sorry about that!I forgot and was taking life too seriously again. Old habits.

Like Bill Hicks said: this is just a ride and we're all really the same one soul. Today a young man on acid realized that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, that there is no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

Last edited:
If you cannot see the way your initial reply to my “first post in a while” belittled me and reduced me to ash, then may a higher being help you. Read your reply, you couldn’t have been more condescending, acerbic and hideous. I’m done. Good luck to all of you.

I’ve read your articles - they don’t advance the argument.

Your latest theory - no more stupid than mine.