What software does the Bluelight BSS use?

Feretile

Bluelighter
Hi,
I am looking at the source code of the Bluelight BSS. I am trying to work out if Chemdoodle can just be dropped into it. That would mean that anybody could input the IUPAC name or SMILES string for a molecule (and the BBS could store it in thos formats so it takes 40-60 bytes) and it would generate a 2D or 3D image as balls, lines, wires or dots. It also allows 2 molecules to be overlaid. I THINK BL uses Xenfoto & PHP. I've not noted any mySQL yet. Chemdoodle is a Javascript module so ITHINK all it needs is input parsing to it's code and a destination address fir the bitmap it draws into. To save local RAM, maybe each post has a 'show in 2D, show in 3d, off' option... I'm thinking of mobile devices here.

Evidently Dragonbyte is the person to ask.

I think it would be of huge educational value to anyone of any level. It will allow everyon to learn at least the basics of organic chemistry and of medicinal chemistry.. Since the images are created on the local machine, it will have next to no impact on the size or bandwidth of the BL site. In fact, it may end up smaller. There can be structured courses all the way from high-school to pHd level. In fact, I think we also have at least 2 people with professorships who are members. People who almost never or never post because thay are concerned that it could harm their careers. Well, I'm crippled so I don't work.... but I did spend 7 years learning medicinal chemistry and I can remember most of the units and how I was taught.

Of course, their may well be many, many more people with their education fresher in their minds or who actually do tech chemistry. It would be a positive for all concerned, I think.

It would also allow a MUCH more detailed article on each compound. Wiki is for browsing but if a drug is mentioned in a paper or a patent, while Wiki may have a few, we can have them all which will attract students.

sekio look like a decent, informed, educated & level-headed person so I, for one, would suggest that s/he has a look as well. I mean, just because I say it is so does not make it so.

Just two? HAH!

But, otherwise, too big for my britches... But why don't you just use another molecule making website and drop your little creations here?

No point in remaking the wheel.

That type of thing would not, I don't think, be enough to afford someone enough knowledge to grasp actual organic chemistry. It's far more than that, and honestly, if someone browses long enough, they've basically learned basic chemistry here already.

Just two? HAH!

But, otherwise, too big for my britches... But why don't you just use another molecule making website and drop your little creations here?

No point in remaking the wheel.

That type of thing would not, I don't think, be enough to afford someone enough knowledge to grasp actual organic chemistry. It's far more than that, and honestly, if someone browses long enough, they've basically learned basic chemistry here already.

Well - because Chemdoodle is dynamic. You can view in 3D, overlay another compound and then rotate the 3D view. A .GIF is a very, very poor alternative. It's also the fact that all of the compounds can easily be catalogued so if I find something I THINK is novel, if someone yearsback had already pur it into the site, I would find it. Searching for IUPAC names or SMILES strings is a poor alternative AND SMILES strings can differ slightly depending on the exact format.