• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! WHAT TO EXPECT FIRST TIME TAKING SHROOMS??

My first time I really didn't know what to expect so I guess this gave me a base line of sorts.
I felt a little queasy on the stomach about 30 minutes after shooting a home reduction "tea". Thought I had fucked up and tried to make myself puke it up. Nothing came out. I remember thinking "Oh, well, it's in now. We will deal with whatever comes no choice". We were in the country (farm). I sat down and started playing GTA and shit started acting up. Like I was seeing the "game" for the first time and my mind slowed and started working on the mechanics of such a thing. I put the controller down, kinda weaved out the front door and sat on the porch in an old ass rocker. Looking at a wood line and here came the circus. I am naturally curious but I became happy that I could "see" a little closer at the weave of what we call life I guess. There were lights or auras or whatever shit had a glow about it and there was movement where previously there was none perceptible. I sat there for a couple hours iirc. Had to have been... maybe longer.
I remember some ass clown "friend" of my cousins came by and I acted out. He said some sideways shit and tried the "are you a cop" thing I grabbed him and moved him to the outside. Didn't smell right or something. He wanted to be friends and shit after but kept my guard up.
I loved it. After the initial worry that we didn't pick the right ones or that we had a mixture that may be deadly may have added to the "thrill" of that ride. Would love to do it again but alas it will not be on that farm again.

I am getting ready for my very first mushroom trip in the middle of January 2022. The mushroom I am using is Koi Samui and I was being advised here in this forum that I should not take more than 1.5 grams ( to be safer it should be 1.2 grams) and that I should not add lemon to my mushroom tea because Koi Samui can be more potent than some other mushrooms and as the first timer I should make sure that I play safe.
Also I am a female and weigh 110 pounds and that is another factor to be taken in.
1.Can anyone confirm that all this sounds right?

2.Besides that can anyone tell me something about how to prepare for creating the right mindset at least a week before the trip?
Will that include meditation, writing down all the things I would like to achieve in the trip? Whether those goals will be met or not us another story but at least I should have the intention to science them in thus or following trips.
3. From my readings about psilocybin and brain I understand that many stuck brain patterns including OCD can be positively affected and new neural pathways can make it possible to free oneself from stuck patterns.
Also it reduces anxiety and so probably it affects amygdala and quietens its activity.
3.Should I expect at least some beginning in that direction happen? Otherwise then what is the point of doing it if none if those things happen. I also understand that I should not have high hopes and accept whatever happens but I do want some relief from stuck brain patterns and alleviation of anxiety that I don’t even notice but it is there.
Do you have experience with other classes of drugs, especially other halluconogens (ie cannabinoids or dissociatives)?

I think your proposed ideas for setting up a healthy mindset for a trip are all good ideas. A big thing for me that helps my trips stay pleasant is taking care of responsibilities (social, work, and envinronmental such as making sure my house is clean) prevents those from being on my mind and causing negativity/focus on those things that really are a waste of tripping headspace.

I think practicing meditating on your issues you want to address and writing intentions are both good, as they will give your brain practice running through those thoughts which will make it more likely for you to get useful insights from your trip (and those are both mentally healthy activities that will benefit you outside of the context of drug trips).

One thing i think you could benefit from is having some music on hand. I often feel listening to music while tripping gives my brain something to keep itself busy with. This, for me, gives a space for my brain to think about other things without getting too bogged down by thoughts of "what should i do?" or "what should i think about?". Plus thematic elements of music can seed various paths of ideas that can be beneficial for introspection. In the context of music, i would advise listening to either playlists or whole albums so that you can just set the music on and experience it for some time.

A big thing that causes some anxiety for me while tripping is the feeling of knowing that my time in this state is quite limited (i don't trip super frequently these days, twice a year is a lot for me). I get caught up in the opportunity costs of different activities and am vulnerable to wasting a lot of time deciding what i will do. These moments typically aren't very valuable or fun, so having activities ready to keep myself occupied while i think is a useful tool to preempt these moments (although likely you will feel this way during your trip some, it isn't the end of the world, but this could possibly be a time for your sitter to provide guidance by suggesting other things to do).

Another thing to be aware of is the come ups of psychadelics can be kind of shitty, where your body feels strange and you feel restless. This is pretty normal, and engagement in an activity versus sitting around is often a good way to transition smoothly into the psychadelic space.

Your dosages look definately safe, i tend to always aim for lower doses as i would rather be underwhelmed than overwhelmed. Others have the opposite viewpoint, but as this is your first time, i think starting small is wise (plus it will give you context for further/deeper later explorations if you would like to continue experimenting.)

For your third question, i don't think it is overtly harmful to expect benefits regarding anxiety and ocd thoughts following the experience, as long as you temper these with an acceptance of subtle effects.

Tripping is like undergoing a strenuous workout for the mind. It certainly isn't always easy or even totally pleasant, but like working out these states can give strength later on in life.

I remember the first time I did shrooms I was driving with my friends. We were at a bank parking lot and all a sudden my arm hairs started to move. That’s when I knew I was in too deep.

We went and parked in the woods and smoked a shit load of weed.

I was in the driver seat reclined looking up at the trees and they started to intertwine like a snake closing in on my car.

At that point I realized I had to calm down and fight the trip I was going balls deep into never never land

Do you have experience with other classes of drugs, especially other halluconogens (ie cannabinoids or dissociatives)?

I think your proposed ideas for setting up a healthy mindset for a trip are all good ideas. A big thing for me that helps my trips stay pleasant is taking care of responsibilities (social, work, and envinronmental such as making sure my house is clean) prevents those from being on my mind and causing negativity/focus on those things that really are a waste of tripping headspace.

I think practicing meditating on your issues you want to address and writing intentions are both good, as they will give your brain practice running through those thoughts which will make it more likely for you to get useful insights from your trip (and those are both mentally healthy activities that will benefit you outside of the context of drug trips).

One thing i think you could benefit from is having some music on hand. I often feel listening to music while tripping gives my brain something to keep itself busy with. This, for me, gives a space for my brain to think about other things without getting too bogged down by thoughts of "what should i do?" or "what should i think about?". Plus thematic elements of music can seed various paths of ideas that can be beneficial for introspection. In the context of music, i would advise listening to either playlists or whole albums so that you can just set the music on and experience it for some time.

A big thing that causes some anxiety for me while tripping is the feeling of knowing that my time in this state is quite limited (i don't trip super frequently these days, twice a year is a lot for me). I get caught up in the opportunity costs of different activities and am vulnerable to wasting a lot of time deciding what i will do. These moments typically aren't very valuable or fun, so having activities ready to keep myself occupied while i think is a useful tool to preempt these moments (although likely you will feel this way during your trip some, it isn't the end of the world, but this could possibly be a time for your sitter to provide guidance by suggesting other things to do).

Another thing to be aware of is the come ups of psychadelics can be kind of shitty, where your body feels strange and you feel restless. This is pretty normal, and engagement in an activity versus sitting around is often a good way to transition smoothly into the psychadelic space.

Your dosages look definately safe, i tend to always aim for lower doses as i would rather be underwhelmed than overwhelmed. Others have the opposite viewpoint, but as this is your first time, i think starting small is wise (plus it will give you context for further/deeper later explorations if you would like to continue experimenting.)

For your third question, i don't think it is overtly harmful to expect benefits regarding anxiety and ocd thoughts following the experience, as long as you temper these with an acceptance of subtle effects.

Tripping is like undergoing a strenuous workout for the mind. It certainly isn't always easy or even totally pleasant, but like working out these states can give strength later on in life.
Thanks for explaining so well. You wrote “engagement in an activity versus sitting around is often a good way to transition smoothly into the psychadelic space”.
What activities other than listening to my music playlist are you referring to ?

Question about method of mushroom ingestion:
Is Direct Ingestion Method the best to get most out of the trip? I believe eating mushroom or chewing them thoroughly like any other food will be most beneficial but will also be most difficult to do even if I drink some pleasant juice along with it to gulp it down.
I read that the come up time in this style of ingestion will be fast . I wonder how long will I take to eat 1.2 or 1.5 gram of mushroom. I think the goal should be not to take too long to finish eating the dose ( also one has to keep track of time since one starts eating them)

The other method
My friend/provider of the mushroom suggested that I should grind mushroom and mix it in a tea of my choice and try finish drinking it in 30 minutes.
Which of the two method will optimize the usefulness of the mushroom during my trip? Please let me know.
I really appreciate your insightful replies as well as others’ replies.
Thanks,

Thanks for explaining so well. You wrote “engagement in an activity versus sitting around is often a good way to transition smoothly into the psychadelic space”.
What activities other than listening to my music playlist are you referring to ?

Question about method of mushroom ingestion:
Is Direct Ingestion Method the best to get most out of the trip? I believe eating mushroom or chewing them thoroughly like any other food will be most beneficial but will also be most difficult to do even if I drink some pleasant juice along with it to gulp it down.
I read that the come up time in this style of ingestion will be fast . I wonder how long will I take to eat 1.2 or 1.5 gram of mushroom. I think the goal should be not to take too long to finish eating the dose ( also one has to keep track of time since one starts eating them)

The other method
My friend/provider of the mushroom suggested that I should grind mushroom and mix it in a tea of my choice and try finish drinking it in 30 minutes.
Which of the two method will optimize the usefulness of the mushroom during my trip? Please let me know.
I really appreciate your insightful replies as well as others’ replies.
Thanks,
I know some people are saying to not drink it as a tea because it will make it come on quicker and harder, but your dose is a bit conservative so you have a little wiggle room. I also think that a quick come up is not necessarily the worst thing in the world with a psychadelic.

I typically just eat the mushrooms, i think it is overstated on how bad they taste, and i have a bit of a superstition/practice where i like to taste the drugs i am taking (caveat: i like the taste of mushrooms; i have like 3 types of non-psychoactive dried mushrooms in my kitchen rn).

As to what to do during the comeup, it depends. As this is your first time, I'd do something that keeps you around your house (psychadelics can sometimes make me uncomfortable on society; it feels like tons of effort is needed to blend in. However, once i got used to tripping and keeping composure tripping on public could have benefits (concerts, art muesems, walking around the city just seeing weird shit). I guess doubly however, those can sometimes take up mental bandwidth and be more "sensory" and less inward facing.

Anyway, to answer your question, i think activities that get me into a flow state are nice to ditch come up anxiety. Sometimes i clean my house, sometimes i play videogames, sometimes i read trip reports of bad trips (don't do this one lol), sometimes i drink a shot of liquor right after dosing and just kind of bullshit with my friends. When i first started tripping i would walk around in the woods with my friends, that was always very special as you would begin to get various perceptual aspects which would make the trees and especially their leaves, and the arrangements of things so fantastic.

Anyway, you mentioned keeping track of time; my advice: dont! Your guide will probably have a phone or whatever and hopefully generally know the timing of a mushroom trip.

Do you use cannabis? If you don't already, don't mix things. If you have a decent amount of experience on how that feels and are a fan, it is a good way to temporarily increase the intensity of a trip at the expense of being a little stoned (i don't know how to phrase it neutrally; calling it a decrease in mental clarity is close but not totally accurate). I would reccomend at least waiting for the peak to be well over if not only smoking on the comedown (though smoking does kick visual aspects in for me).

Anyway good luck again with your future trip and let me know if you need clarification.

I know some people are saying to not drink it as a tea because it will make it come on quicker and harder, but your dose is a bit conservative so you have a little wiggle room. I also think that a quick come up is not necessarily the worst thing in the world with a psychadelic.

I typically just eat the mushrooms, i think it is overstated on how bad they taste, and i have a bit of a superstition/practice where i like to taste the drugs i am taking (caveat: i like the taste of mushrooms; i have like 3 types of non-psychoactive dried mushrooms in my kitchen rn).

As to what to do during the comeup, it depends. As this is your first time, I'd do something that keeps you around your house (psychadelics can sometimes make me uncomfortable on society; it feels like tons of effort is needed to blend in. However, once i got used to tripping and keeping composure tripping on public could have benefits (concerts, art muesems, walking around the city just seeing weird shit). I guess doubly however, those can sometimes take up mental bandwidth and be more "sensory" and less inward facing.

Anyway, to answer your question, i think activities that get me into a flow state are nice to ditch come up anxiety. Sometimes i clean my house, sometimes i play videogames, sometimes i read trip reports of bad trips (don't do this one lol), sometimes i drink a shot of liquor right after dosing and just kind of bullshit with my friends. When i first started tripping i would walk around in the woods with my friends, that was always very special as you would begin to get various perceptual aspects which would make the trees and especially their leaves, and the arrangements of things so fantastic.

Anyway, you mentioned keeping track of time; my advice: dont! Your guide will probably have a phone or whatever and hopefully generally know the timing of a mushroom trip.

Do you use cannabis? If you don't already, don't mix things. If you have a decent amount of experience on how that feels and are a fan, it is a good way to temporarily increase the intensity of a trip at the expense of being a little stoned (i don't know how to phrase it neutrally; calling it a decrease in mental clarity is close but not totally accurate). I would reccomend at least waiting for the peak to be well over if not only smoking on the comedown (though smoking does kick visual aspects in for me).

Anyway good luck again with your future trip and let me know if you need clarification.
Thanks so much for your insights. For me listening to my music playlist will be the biggest activity and stepping out into my beautiful backyard with sitter and a family member will also be pleasant thing to do.
I do want to take notes of insights (if I get some) I might get during the trip. I just don’t want to forget any profound idea that pops up in my mind and therefore jotting them down on paper will be good.
I have been cautioned by You and others to take a conservative dose for my first trip. I was being suggested not to go over 1.5 grams.
I am a female weighing 110 lbs and my mushroom is Koi Samui.
Please tell me if I should take 1.5 or even less than that such as 1.3 or 1.2 fir the first time. My trip is planned at the end of this month now.
Thanks,

I am going to trip for the very first time. I have never ever done any drugs except I microdoses on mushroom for one month recently as a preparation for the big dose in coming January 2022.
I am going to do it to find answers to my psychological trauma and resulting anxiety/fear around a specific event in my life. It is related to excessive academic demands at university that were too much to handle. Basically I believe there are stuck brain patterns from that stressful experience that keeps circulating along with positive ones.
Questions:
1.I am 110 Lbs and I definitely do not want to take more than 2 grams in my first trip. Can anyone please tell me what should be a safe but effective dosage for a woman of my size?
I have a contact/a friend who has tripped in mushrooms about 12 times so far and he agreed to be my sitter and he is supplying me mushrooms. He cultivates them. I am worried about how he will handle the situation if I get into any paranoia or difficult experience as he has never been a guide or sitter for anyone.

2. Do you think one needs a sitter who is experienced in guiding? Can paranoia during the trip damage a person’s mind and brain for good?

3. I have been told by my friend that to mix dry mushroom power in warm tea with lemon juice will give me most effective experience. Also I should finish drinking that warm tea within half an hour (time it also).
Does this sounds like the right way to do it?

Internet is full of experts advice that one should never attempt to do psilocybin on one’s own or with help of friends. Set and setting are both important undoubtedly. I can handle the mindset but I don’t have access to real experienced sitters or guides.
4. Is integration therapy really important? Or the tripper can analyze one’s own experience? I believe that I am in a god state of mind and am very self reflective person and will be able to interpret some of the insights I will have during the trip.
5.How should I handle difficult or frightening experience during the trip? I have read books and watched videos and am aware of all sound advices namely SURRENDER to the experience.
However if my sitter doesn’t help me in the right manner during trip I will end up having a bad trip. My sitter is experienced in tripping himself but has never helped another person trip.

I will appreciate your answers to my questions.For me it is very necessary to do this trip as I am tired of my brain’s fearful stuck patterns. I feel a lot of it is involuntary and I am not participating in them but I am dragged into them by the sheer force of brain patterns.
If you are looking to find answers to trauma I wouldn’t recommend 2 grams. I would recommend you to take the 2 grams for your first actual trip to gain the experience you need to handle a bigger dose, I found 4-5 grams of potent PE (penis envy). Take them on an empty stomach or fast for 6 hours beforehand. 2 grams for me is a good time such as visuals, and music but if I want to go deeper I need 4-7 grams to achieve. But everybody is different I definitely would say take 2 grams for the first time dip your toes in the water if that dose doesn’t do it move it up to 3,4,5, etc. As far as the trip sitter goes just make sure it’s somebody you would be comfortable enough around to literally shit your pants in front of 😂(not saying that’s going to happen, just the level of comfort you need) IMO I enjoy tripping alone the stress of another person just makes me insecure and I find myself in loops a lot easier. Safe travels!

Up the doseeee
For sure ima up the dose next time. It was a baby dose even for a first timer. I was just being a punk bitch since I had a bad trip on acid 10 years ago at 17-18 lol but now I see everything everyone said was true and acid is nothing like shrooms

For sure ima up the dose next time. It was a baby dose even for a first timer. I was just being a punk bitch since I had a bad trip on acid 10 years ago at 17-18 lol but now I see everything everyone said was true and acid is nothing like shrooms
U sure it was acid? Acid feels real fking good. Set and setting is important too. If u do it with ur partner 4 example wufffffff, best sex ever.

Thanks for answering my questions. As I am getting closer to my tripping day ( this coming Saturday) I am noticing that I am having difficulty falling asleep. It could be some anxiety in anticipation of my first trip though I am not noticing any anxiety in my daily life. It could be in subconscious.
I have never taken THC but have used CBD tincture. I want to buy some cannabis sleep gummies do that I can at least sleep and not stay awake.
1. Will it be okay to take sleep gummies with THC 5mg, CBN 2mg and CBD 3mg if I am going to trip this Saturday. Will it conflict with the mushroom trip?

2. Since my mushroom (koi Samui) dose is conservative (1.5 mg) will it be okay to add lemon to it to intensify the experience?

U sure it was acid? Acid feels real fking good. Set and setting is important too. If u do it with ur partner 4 example wufffffff, best sex ever.
We had the bombast sex on shrooms the other night. And yeah it was acid. Had 2 tabs my first time. I was also on a ton of Molly & smoked a bowel right before acid hit. I was also 17 so I feel my teenage brain couldn’t handle all that shit at once. Bad environment and not the right people to feel safe with either.

Thanks for answering my questions. As I am getting closer to my tripping day ( this coming Saturday) I am noticing that I am having difficulty falling asleep. It could be some anxiety in anticipation of my first trip though I am not noticing any anxiety in my daily life. It could be in subconscious.
I have never taken THC but have used CBD tincture. I want to buy some cannabis sleep gummies do that I can at least sleep and not stay awake.
1. Will it be okay to take sleep gummies with THC 5mg, CBN 2mg and CBD 3mg if I am going to trip this Saturday. Will it conflict with the mushroom trip?

2. Since my mushroom (koi Samui) dose is conservative (1.5 mg) will it be okay to add lemon to it to intensify the experience?
Yeah eating gummies on nights before should be fine. Just don't eat them before taking the mushrooms, because it can make your trip both more intense but more confusing, and if you aren't super used to getting stoned it will likely be a more difficult mental space to navigate.

I honestly think you will be fine either way doing the lemon tek or just eating the mushrooms. As long as you have a sitter and all. Many times psychadelics get kind of overwhelming during the peak (like there is a feeling that you cannot hold on to your thoughts - this is a good time to listen to music and just follow the experience. Trying to hold onto them during this point kind of is like trying to collect water in a sieve).

One last, but possibly the most important question i have, do you take any medications? Most are fine, but there are a good few that would be dangerous to combine with mushrooms (lithium is one example). Also if you take serotonin reuptake inhibitors yoy will likely have trouble feeling the full trip.

Let me know.

Last edited:
Do not go into the trip with any expectations. Or basically you can read 1,000s of trip reports or people's experiences, but it is not anything like actually tripping and having a psychedelic experience.

If you did not like LSD and had a bad trip, you might not enjoy Psilocybin mushrooms, but splitting 3.5 grams will not be too overwhelming.

When I was using drugs I loved smoking pot and hashish on acid and mushrooms, but I loved the super psychedelic Sativa/Sativa dominant types of marijuana and hashish.