Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

"Another Day in Paradise"
James Woods kicking ass
and taking names as usual

On one of those free shitty apps
pluto, hulu

*** & half stars

Finally got over the flu, I saw a ton of horror movies (it's almost tradition by now when ill), most bad, some ok, but Noroi was very good/fun.
I like scary, you get all warm inside and it eases my rampant adhd after my meds have worn off.

Last film I saw was Black Adam.

It was ill-conceived, badly directed and the acting was hit and miss.

They should stop dumbing down all these superhero films and make one that is actually dark for a change.

Black Adam should've gone full Venom, but it just flirted with the idea of an anti-hero.

He is a fake anti-hero like all the other fake anti-heroes in Hollywood.

Also - Marvel / DC - can you just admit that you've run out of decent characters at this point?

Who the fuck is the Justice Society?

One of them can grow big (like Antman) but he can't grow really small (like Antman). So, he's like Half Antman... Do they expect us to care about these characters?

People compare Marvel and DC. The former has a bigger library of memorable characters whereas the latter has Superman & Batman.

Who the fuck cares about Aquaman? One of the highest grossing movies of all time? Aquaman has always been a joke.

What the fuck is going on?

It had some good moments. I chuckled once or twice. I like The Rock, but (weirdly) I don't think he is right for the role. There's a lot of shots of him staring and he looks dumb. He also doesn't look like he fits into his costume, like when a bodybuilder tries to wear a suit. The fact that it is actually his body - and not special effects like The Hulk - is ridiculous.

Doctor Fate was okay, I guess, but totally unnecessary and forgettable without a memorable film to go with him.

I'm not sure if Black Adam was worse than Aquaman. It's hard to call something worse than Aquaman. I will remember Aquaman because it was so bad, whereas Black Adam was just meh. I guess I see more value in the truly terrible than the mediocre?

The film, on occasion, flirts with some political concepts... but - ultimately - as you'd expect, it's hollow.

Ancient Egyptian culture has been stretched out too much in popular culture. First Night at the Museum, then Moon Knight, now this.

They should make a film about a crazy vengeful Jesus that runs around stapling people to crosses.

?/10

Made out like a bandit on DVDs from Goodwill the other day. Bought 6 DVDs and a zipper hoody for about $14 :boobies: My reviews will trickle in.

Just re-watched Inception. Not bad. I understood it better the second time watching it. The first time it was hard for me to follow and I lost count of how many layers of dreams they were in. I'm normally not a fan of ensemble cast movies where they have several big name actors thrown out there. But I enjoyed this one if anything for the unique story.

Watched Inglourious Basterds, another Goodwill find. Does anyone ever buy DVDs of movies they haven't previously seen? I have trouble wanting to invest in a flick if I don't already thinks it's good.

Anyways, I like this one as well otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out the enormous $1.99 for it. I love how Quentin Tarantino can take a serious topic and make it hilarious. I guess that's the definition of dark humor. IDK what could be more serious than antifa hunting down Nazis yet QT somehow makes me laugh at the Basterds' shenanigans. "I suppose you're gonna want to take off that uniform, aren't ya?"

Dressed to Kill (1980) - 7.3/10 - decent thriller, seemed trend setting

The Final Countdown (1980) - 6.5/10 - so-so movie, but awesome footage of 1970s military aircraft

The Last Man on Earth (1964) - 6.5/10 - decent I Am Legend adaptation, but I prefer the Charlton Heston and Will Smith versions

War Gods of the Deep (1965) - 5/10 - good to fall asleep to

Beirut Oh Beirut (1975) - 7.5/10 - very enjoyable direction and soundtrack, interesting seeing 1970s Lebanon

The Road (2009) - 7.2/10 - the movie that wasn't as popular as The Book of Eli. Worth watching if you're into post-apocalyptic stuff but a downer of a movie

In the Mouth of Madness (1995) - 5.5/10 - not John Carpenter's worst, but pretty blah. Wasn't worth the rental

Sixteen Candles (1984) - 7.5/10 - a very enjoyable and relatable John Hughes flick. Can't understand the modern PC related hate on it. Not very vulgar and still current IMO

Green Fingers (2001) -6/10 - not a great dramedy, but enjoyable because of Clive Owens. Based on a true story

Heaven's Gate (1981) - 5.5/10 - annoyingly longwinded, lots of amazingly shot, beautiful, boring ass scenes. A Sunday afternoon snoozer. All the actors felt miscast and out of place, especially Jeff Bridges and John Hurt

The Road (2009) - 7.2/10 - the movie that wasn't as popular as The Book of Eli. Worth watching if you're into post-apocalyptic stuff but a downer of a movie
Isn't this based on a Cormac McCarthy book? I would like to read the book first but have been interested in catching the movie as well. I read No Country for Old Men after watching the movie, which colored the book because it caused me to have a picture in my mind of what the characters were supposed to look like.

Ended up watching a stream of Mystery Road (2013) last night. Pretty good movie that was better than I expected it to be. Set in rural Australia, kind of a whodunnit with good cops and bad cops; some suspense and surprises. Included Hugo Weaving as supporting cast, which is always a plus (Agent Smith in Matrix, V in V for Vendetta).

Isn't this based on a Cormac McCarthy book? I would like to read the book first but have been interested in catching the movie as well. I read No Country for Old Men after watching the movie, which colored the book because it caused me to have a picture in my mind of what the characters were supposed to look like.
I’m not sure. I know it was based on a book though. Not a bad film just a bit… lacking.

I wasn’t a fan of No Country for Old Men myself, despite my usually appreciation of Coen brother flicks. Perhaps it was the senseless violence aspect. I need to revisit it.

I’m not sure. I know it was based on a book though. Not a bad film just a bit… lacking.

I wasn’t a fan of No Country for Old Men myself, despite my usually appreciation of Coen brother flicks. Perhaps it was the senseless violence aspect. I need to revisit it.
If I can somehow wrangle you into reading some Cormac McCarthy, I would read No Country for Old Men before revisiting the movie. Not a huge book and it flows well, I think I read it cover to cover in a day or two. Might give some differing perspectives on the film.

I would also recommend the McCarthy book (actually a play) The Sunset Limited. It's way shorter than No Country, could prolly read the whole thing in one sitting. After that, check out the movie based on the play. No violence at all, in fact it's a completely different genre of story than No Country and quite profound I might add. Kind of existential.

'The Menu' was a really good movie. I was not expecting anything that occurred in the movie based on it's movie trailer. 👍

Loved it, saw a couple of weeks ago. I've perfected the breadless bread plate but I cannot be arsed to bother with the dips.

Had a perfect Groundhog Day cinematic celebration. I watched the BD of the Ramis / Murray film with my Dad on the morning of the 2nd having just scored my first weed of 2023 - this being only the second time he had seen it following its '93 release. With this weeks episode of The Last of Us and as a UK viewer, the Happy Valley finale waiting for me this morning, I found it too easy to justify a wake and bake and to help tie off the weed smoking until next w/e now I asked my Dad if he wanted to finish to finish the Groundhog cinematic festivities with me on our quaint 5:1 home theatre set up - following up Thursdays film with what IMO are 2 of the best contemporary time loop flicks from the last 10 years....

first it was Max Barbakow's... Palm Springs which still looks amazing in basic 1080p notwithstanding the disgusting standard of picture we are treated to in the UK on Amazon Prime, the colours absolutely popping (along with Cristin Milloti who is arguably one of the funniest and beautiful actors in existence). Finished of with Doug Liman's Edge of Tommorow on 3DBD (one of the main reasons I have not upgraded to UHD yet.) which, in desperate need of a few new pairs of glasses, saw me dust of the only 2 unblemished pairs yet, resulting in my first 3D film since before Christmas. Good times wood chuckers! Bing!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ds
Watched Inglourious Basterds, another Goodwill find. Does anyone ever buy DVDs of movies they haven't previously seen? I have trouble wanting to invest in a flick if I don't already thinks it's good.

Anyways, I like this one as well otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out the enormous $1.99 for it. I love how Quentin Tarantino can take a serious topic and make it hilarious. I guess that's the definition of dark humor. IDK what could be more serious than antifa hunting down Nazis yet QT somehow makes me laugh at the Basterds' shenanigans. "I suppose you're gonna want to take off that uniform, aren't ya?"

I don't know if you've ever seen "Jojo Rabbit" but if not check it out. It's better than Inglorious Basterds IMO in the rather limited subgenre of comedies set in Nazi Germany