Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

Una sull'altra with Jean Sorel, Marisa Mell, Elsa Martinelli and Alberto de Mendoza. A woman tries to steal her husband's money and run away with his brother by faking her own death and exchanging her body with that of a stripper. The wife's frail condition and need for many medications make it easy to make her death look like an accident and her husband George has to pick up the pieces with the help of an eccentric female friend. Through many twists of sinister and macabre surprises they try to uncover the reason why their lives are falling apart.

Here's a clip of the ex-wife in question impersonating the stripper she killed. Wearing a wig and contacts she poses for a club full of people in a psychedelic show of fantasy.

Me Without You from 2001 starring Anna Friel, Michelle Williams, and Oliver Milburn. Written and directed by Sandra Goldbacher. Two girls grow up in a depressive, modern society without plans for the future or a stable emotional life. They grow up, meet men and try to make believe their lives have meaning, but find little. The only way they get to have any fun is to shoot drugs and complain about their lives. Unfortunately, they don't have much luck in the love department and both girls end up without a real source of satisfaction in their lives. Instead of finding validation, they settle for mediocrity, which, in England, is, ironically, pretty good.

Here's a clip from a scene at a dance club where the girls try to enjoy themselves while their boyfriends faun over them like doves at a white trash wedding.

Oh yeah, saw two movies when in the big city a few weeks ago.

John Wick 4 (2023)

Amazing action, stupid plot, unreasonably long winded. Almost three hours, wtf?! At least the franchise wrapped up.

6.2/10

65 (2023)

Sub-par sci-fi flick. In an era with a dearth of sci-fi flicks I enjoyed it enough to not regret buying the ticket. Adam Driver was decent. But it was too PG-13 for my liking. The hour and a half run time was a bonus for me.

5.8/10

Plane (2023)
Solid no-nonsense action film. I enjoyed every minute of it. Reminds me of the sort of popcorn crap they used to produce in the 80s and 90s. Fun but totally forgettable escapism.
5/10

The Ring (2002)
Never seen a Ring movie before. Couldn't sit through this one. It's well produced, but I just couldn't get into it. Not scary at all. Maybe I should've watched the Japanese version?
3/10

Super Mario Bros (2023)
My local cinema was packed and it's usually empty. This is a solid kids film, that does justice to the source material (which is very sacred to me). Jack Black is great as Bowser. In fact, Bowser has never been better... but can't say that I liked hearing Seth Rogen's voice come out of Donkey Kong.
6.5/10

Infinity Pool (2023)
Didn't like Brandon Cronenberg's first couple of films much (so I had low expectations) but this one blew me away. Best film I've seen, so far, this year. It's got a 1960's/70's arthouse feel. Kind of like Kubrick meets Polanski. Brutal and super dark. Unpredictable. Chaotic. Stunning cinematography. Great acting. Highly recommended if you like having your head fucked.
8.5/10

The Offering (2022)
A somewhat refreshing take on possession films. I don't much like horror films about Christianity for some reason (maybe because the priests/nuns are always the bad guys) but I'm a sucker for film-makers injecting other religions into the genre. You don't see a lot of Judaism in horror. The Offering is fairly run-of-the-mill stuff, but it works.
6.5/10

M3GAN (2022)
I thought this film was utter crap. The writing is awful. The acting is awful. The only reason I kept watching was all the hype... by the time the credits rolled, I regretted not turning it off. It's a Child's Play rip-off and inferior in every imaginable way. I'm honestly not sure what they were going for. It's not scary at all. Why the fuck is a horror movie PG? It's not funny either. WTF is with the Asian guy with the speech impediment? It's a shitty horror, a shitty comedy, and a shitty AI movie. Sometimes I really don't understand why shit is popular and M3GAN is definitely part of that list. I need to trust my instinct next time and just turn it the fuck off. Life is too short.
3/10

I never really got what the big deal was with John wick personally. I remember thinking the 1st one was ok, a decent way to kill some time but ultimately nothing great and pretty forgettable. Never would’ve thought that they’d make an additional three movies…maybe the series increased in entertainment value? I dunno I’ve only seen the first

I never really got what the big deal was with John wick personally. I remember thinking the 1st one was ok, a decent way to kill some time but ultimately nothing great and pretty forgettable. Never would’ve thought that they’d make an additional three movies…maybe the series increased in entertainment value? I dunno I’ve only seen the first
The first one was the only one worth seeing. They gradually got longer and longer and focused on the silly plot elements from the first film pertaining to the assassin “rules” or whatever.

But the first, it’s a classic IMO. Only one I bought on Blu-ray. It stands out among modern action/revenge flicks. The gun-fu in all four is absolutely amazing but they just got so off track after the first one. 4 had a lot of homage scenes to the first film but somehow extended to twice the runtime.

I’d almost call it the modern version of the Death Wish series but they take it too seriously and of course it’s less and less about urban crime and more and more about… whatever those weird assassin rules are. But yeah similar in enjoyment; you watch them because you want to see verifiably bad people brought to vigilante justice.

Beau is Afraid

The new film from Ari Aster (Hereditary, Midsommar). A sort of Kaufman-esque, three-hour-long, paranoid, anxious trip. The first hour was compelling and genuinely funny. The sense of paranoia was enacted skillfully. But after that it got overly long and slow to the point of being boring at times, and went from absurd to ridiculous. It was ambitious but I don't think he quite pulled it off.

Beau is Afraid

The new film from Ari Aster (Hereditary, Midsommar). A sort of Kaufman-esque, three-hour-long, paranoid, anxious trip. The first hour was compelling and genuinely funny. The sense of paranoia was enacted skillfully. But after that it got overly long and slow to the point of being boring at times, and went from absurd to ridiculous. It was ambitious but I don't think he quite pulled it off.

I was kind of interested in this. I like Joaquin Phoenix, I think he's a good actor and I also liked Midsommar. Hereditary was interesting in parts I guess but was merely "OK" overall I thought.

The preview for it did not make it look appealing, though, IMO.

Killer Nerd!

A young man is pushed too far and gets his revenge on society by killing the people who made fun of him.

Alpha Dog

Just utter stupidity around dealing a little grass thats how the party ends.

Haha I remember that one. That was a weird one, like they thought murdering someone would get them off from kidnapping that person, after there had already been 40+ eyewitnesses to the kidnapping? And wasn’t Ben foster a ninja in that movie? A nazi ninja lol? Or am I thinking of another film lol

Haha I remember that one. That was a weird one, like they thought murdering someone would get them off from kidnapping that person, after there had already been 40+ eyewitnesses to the kidnapping? And wasn’t Ben foster a ninja in that movie? A nazi ninja lol? Or am I thinking of another film lolu-
yeah, they kidnapped him and then basically ended partying with him for days and then kill him. and all this went down over the cash for a QP.. 12hundo. insane stupid.

Plane (2023)
Solid no-nonsense action film. I enjoyed every minute of it. Reminds me of the sort of popcorn crap they used to produce in the 80s and 90s. Fun but totally forgettable escapism.
5/10

The Ring (2002)
Never seen a Ring movie before. Couldn't sit through this one. It's well produced, but I just couldn't get into it. Not scary at all. Maybe I should've watched the Japanese version?
3/10

Super Mario Bros (2023)
My local cinema was packed and it's usually empty. This is a solid kids film, that does justice to the source material (which is very sacred to me). Jack Black is great as Bowser. In fact, Bowser has never been better... but can't say that I liked hearing Seth Rogen's voice come out of Donkey Kong.
6.5/10

Infinity Pool (2023)
Didn't like Brandon Cronenberg's first couple of films much (so I had low expectations) but this one blew me away. Best film I've seen, so far, this year. It's got a 1960's/70's arthouse feel. Kind of like Kubrick meets Polanski. Brutal and super dark. Unpredictable. Chaotic. Stunning cinematography. Great acting. Highly recommended if you like having your head fucked.
8.5/10

The Offering (2022)
A somewhat refreshing take on possession films. I don't much like horror films about Christianity for some reason (maybe because the priests/nuns are always the bad guys) but I'm a sucker for film-makers injecting other religions into the genre. You don't see a lot of Judaism in horror. The Offering is fairly run-of-the-mill stuff, but it works.
6.5/10

M3GAN (2022)
I thought this film was utter crap. The writing is awful. The acting is awful. The only reason I kept watching was all the hype... by the time the credits rolled, I regretted not turning it off. It's a Child's Play rip-off and inferior in every imaginable way. I'm honestly not sure what they were going for. It's not scary at all. Why the fuck is a horror movie PG? It's not funny either. WTF is with the Asian guy with the speech impediment? It's a shitty horror, a shitty comedy, and a shitty AI movie. Sometimes I really don't understand why shit is popular and M3GAN is definitely part of that list. I need to trust my instinct next time and just turn it the fuck off. Life is too short.
3/10
How can you not like M3GAN?!, firstly; as a glimpse of time, in a post- modern evolution, it embodied the impetus of the Chucky franchise; it was great.
Secondly, as a commentary on unregulated AI & corporate monopolies, it hypothesised, a wonderful point.

Last edited:
@Asclepius

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I'll assume not?

The child psychologist in M3GAN was enough - alone - to ruin the entire film for me... but, beyond that, I generally didn't believe that the girl just lost her parents which is a huge part of the foundation of the story. She was grieving only when it was necessary for a particular scene. No consistency. Acting is bad. Direction is worse.

As for the undeniable brilliance of the script, why would I expect anything less from the guys who brought us such gems as Fast and the Furious, the Saw franchise and Aquaman?

I watch a lot of horror. More than half of the films I watch are horror. I like most of the horror films I see more than M3GAN. It's in the bottom 10% (probably the bottom 5%) of horror films I've seen in the past year.

I have particular tastes. I'm looking for particular things. I probably would've appreciated M3GAN more when I was younger.

I avoided The Ring for 20 years because I highly suspected it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Horror has to either be superbly directed to scare me or be SERIOUSLY fucked up.

I don't want political commentary in horror or in entertainment in general. Horror is a psychological sensory experience, like sex.

If M3GAN functioned as a comedy, it might have some value for me... but I didn't laugh once.

Last edited:
Nightcrawler: a movie about a sociopath (Jake Gyllenhaal) -- American Psycho vibes but less overt. Great acting from Gyllenhaal and his sidekick. Excellent sense of tension, especially in a particular scene near the end of the film.

Possession: An 80s "horror" movie set in pre-unification Berlin about a couple losing their relationship and losing their minds. I didn't finish it. There were some poignant parts but it was often tedious and sometimes obnoxious (I had to fast-forward through a part where the lead actress just shrieks and spins in circles for what seemed like ten minutes) while never being scary.

Those are both good movies

Nightcrawler is a great “anti-hero” film imo. I love how at the end his character is indoctrinating new recruits with some self help slogans and talking points lol…the subtext being, you have the potential to go far as a self-involved narcissist in this world