Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

The Northman (2022) - 4.5/5 - excellent

I thought this might be some mindless psuedo-historical action movie, but it's so much more than that. It's dark, cerebral, psychedelic, primal, and badass. I was thoroughly entertained, great graphics. It spoke to my soul. You really don't need to be a fan of action movies or Viking mythology to like this movie.

Mesmerizing visuals!

I might just watch it again. I felt like it put a magic spell on me.

Got this one but haven't had a chance to watch yet.

Mai-Chan no nichijo (AKA Mai-Chan's Daily Life) (2014) - 2.5 stars - based on the manga of the same name. Mai-Chan accepts a job as a maid at a posh facility that turns out just to be masquerading as a spot for the owners to humiliate and sexually and physically torture the maids. Things get extreme when it is discovered that Mai-Chan has rapid regenerative properties and can be tortured and mutilated in any way and will regenerate to normal in a day or two. Pretty short film running in at just shy of an hour. Not as fucked up as I thought, but apparently the manga is WAY worse.

A Hyena in the Safe (1968 ) - 3.5 keys - Hard to find, but enjoyable giallo. 6 criminals meet together at a villa. Each has one key and all keys are needed to open a safe filled with millions worth of diamonds. Of course, one guy can't produce his key. The others assume he is lying about being unable to find it and torture him by withholding the drugs he is addicted to. When he is pushed to his death from the roof of the villa, it is first assumed that he committed suicide having been pushed too far, until another member is murdered and there are a lot of secrets, lies, backstabbing and twists as they are killed one-by-one as each of them want to collect all of they keys and keep the fortune for themselves.

I've been hearing insanely good things about the new Top Gun so I'm probably gonna watch the old one. One of those movies everyone has seen except me.

Saw the new Top Gun: Maverick in the theater a couple weeks ago and it was good, my girlfriend even liked it. You should deff watch the old one before you see it tho cuz the plot would make more sense. Personally I think Tom Cruise is a lunatic but he is a hell of an actor at times. Left the movie smiling and felt the money well spent.

I finally saw this again tonight. I may have seen it at the cinema when it came out (I definitely saw it) but must've been having one of my blackouts.

Brilliant. The Coen brothers, Woody Harrelson and Javier Bardem (as the biggest freak of a psychopath since Hannibal Lecter). That haircut. I could relate to some of the conversations he had with store owners and motel receptionists.. They really need to mind their own business more.

"You don't understand.. He isn't like you. Hell, he isn't even like me." --Woody Harrelson to Josh Brolin re Javier Bardem

"He doesn't talk as much as you, I'll give him that much." --Josh Brolin

Just seen some older Alexander kluge movies, they are what is known as German autorenkino like godard and stuff. Really different and interesting films:

These films are hard to get, I have some older avi files but not english subtitles.

Hero (2002)

I’ve always enjoyed this film. Now as an adult I can see the overt Confucius/CCP messaging throughout but for once it doesn’t detract from the film. A true masterpiece of Chinese cinema.

8/10

Morbius.

Blade is a million times better.
This felt like an episode of an anthology show.
Script is bad. Acting is okay.

It's somehow boring and I was stoned.
How is a Marvel vampire film boring?

It's not that bad a film, I guess.
It's just bland and instantly forgettable.

2/10

Aw man, I'm not the originator of this thread anymore? Shucks.

These are the latest since my last post. Been awhile. Will I ever write another review? I wish.

Fa yeung nin wah AKA In the Mood for Love [2000] by Kar-Wai Wong
Crank [2006] by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World [1963] by Stanley Kramer
Rat Race [2001] by Jerry Zucker
King Richard [2021] by Reinaldo Marcus Green
The Lego Movie [2014] by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord
Tremors [1990] by Ron Underwood
Harold and Maude [1971] by Hal Ashby
Dom za vešanje AKA Time of the Gypsies [1988] by Emir Kusturica
The Boondock Saints [1999] by Troy Duffy
Steamboat Bill, Jr. [1928] by Charles Reisner and Buster Keaton
No Time to Die [2021] by Cary Joji Fukunaga
The Departed [2006] by Martin Scorsese
Interiors [1978] by Woody Allen
Barfly [1987] by Barbet Schroeder
There's Gonna Be a God Damn Riot in Here! [2008] by Jon Monday
C'mon C'mon [2021] by Mike Mills
Secrets & Lies [1996] by Mike Leigh
After Hours [1985] by Martin Scorsese
Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) [2021] by Questlove
The Gold Rush [1925] by Charles Chaplin
The LEGO Batman Movie [2017] by Chris McKay
The Batman [2022] by Matt Reeves
Mid90s [2018] by Jonah Hill
Tony Arzenta AKA No Way Out AKA Big Guns [1973] by Duccio Tessari
Il grande silenzio AKA The Great Silence [1968] by Sergio Corbucci
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings [2021] by Destin Daniel Cretton
Lik Wong AKA Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky [1991] by Ngai Choi Lam
Licorice Pizza [2021] by Paul Thomas Anderson
How to Train Your Dragon [2010] by Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders
Ah fei zing zyun AKA Days of Being Wild [1990] by Kar-Wai Wong
The Cabin in the Woods [2011] by Drew Goddard
Le mépris AKA Contempt [1963] by Jean-Luc Godard
The Circus [1928] by Charles Chaplin
Whiplash [2014] by Damien Chazelle
The French Dispatch [2021] by Wes Anderson
Menace II Society [1993] by Albert Hughes and Allen Hughes
TT3D: Closer to the Edge [2011] by Richard De Aragues
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father [2008] by Kurt Kuenne
Cléo de 5 à 7 AKA Cléo From 5 to 7 [1962] by Agnès Varda
Le Quai des Brumes AKA Port of Shadows [1938] by Marcel Carné
Primer [2004] by Shane Carruth
Everything Everywhere All at Once [2022] by Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
The Muppet Movie [1979] by James Frawley
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl [2003] by Gore Verbinski
Das Boot AKA The Boat (Director's Cut) [1981] by Wolfgang Petersen
The White Stripes - Live at the Detroit Institute of Arts [2021]

I don't know if the last one really counts but there you go.

5/5 i thought, because it's exactly like how I imagined the UK to be.

Fantastic movie, I bought the 2009 Blu-ray release a couple weeks back. It’s uncannily pertinent.

Aw man, I'm not the originator of this thread anymore? Shucks.
It finally got past 5000 posts and the admins asked me to retire it 😔 but it will live on in spirit forever!

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Nicolas Cage is on top of his game playing himself. Weirdly, in some ways, it's the most normal I remember seeing him for a long time.

The film is super meta. Reminded me of Adaptation at times and also The Interview (the Seth Rogen / James Franco movie).

Has some very funny moments because it allows Cage to be Cage from time to time and - since he's playing himself - it doesn't need to make sense.

7/10

Last edited:
Mad God
Thought I was trippin all the way through. Couldnt stop watching. 8/10 Wierd but fantastic, imo.
Best thing since The Wall.

So Good Yes GIF by ABC Network

Just watched Saint Maud, since I was looking for a good horror movie and critics really liked it. In my opinion it was overrated. It wasn't scary, the characters weren't terribly compelling, and there were some unnecessarily silly bits that detracted from the vibe they were going for.

Really good horror movies are few and far between!

Before that I watched Mulholland Drive, which was fantastic and, although not a horror movie, much creepier than Saint Maud.