Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

Beavis & Butthead Do the Universe (2022)

I'm a huge fan of Mike Judge. King of the Hill is probably my favourite animated show of all time. B&B Do America was brilliant.

Universe doesn't differentiate itself enough from America. It's almost like a reboot of the first movie, but it isn't as good.

I'm focusing on the negatives. Universe has some great moments, for sure. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will watch it again one day soon.

7/10

The Man From Toronto (2022)

Kevin Hart either annoys me or makes me laugh, depending on my mood. I like (good) brainless Hollywood shit. This follows the classic black comedy buddy film exactly. Nothing new here. They're not trying to re-invent the wheel.

The action is good. Woody is always great, but he's especially good here.

I'd happily watch the sequel.

6/10

Blue Velvet: After Mulholland Drive I wanted to

Blue velvet was kind of his turning point. It got better and better from then. Lost highway was a masterpiece but mulholland drive was kind of his decline. The straight story doesn’t count.

The Hurt Locker ( 2008 )

I had to pay1500eur to watch this movie. A good modern war film but nothing too special. Strange days was someway good but not really better. Atm I don’t know of any better movie from Kathrin biggelow

This was not the last film I saw but this damn scene keeps getting recommended to me on YT.

I didn't think much of Joker at all. I thought Phoenix was good but no Heath Ledger (or Jack Nicholson). It was passable but way too long. It was promising at the start but just deteriorated.

The Joker is a great character! Can they please just get the rest of these movies right?

Eyes Wide Shut [1999] by Stanley Kubrick

No surprise coming from me: I felt this film is longer than it should have been. The first 90 minutes could really be condensed. Granted Kubrick was still tinkering with it until his death. The other weak point would be Cruise's acting. Outside of maybe 2001, this is probably the most symbolic or metaphoric of Kubrick's films, imo. There's a lot to unravel and digest here. And there's no real pay off if you do unravel it, maybe that's why it's polarizing. A man's exploration of sexual frustrations. Blue balls put on celluloid. It's very Lynch-ian. Dreamlike. Surreal. The NYC shots, especially, give me Lynch vibes. But man, that cult/orgy scene just smacks of Kubrick and was such a treat. Yet, still in the bottom half of his catalogue as there aren't many highlights. 3.25/5

Tasogare Seibei AKA The Twilight Samurai [2002] by Yôji Yamada

Always enjoy a good jidaigeki film. Yes, it's a period piece, but even though it was made in 2002 it felt like it could have come out of the 60s era. That's a compliment. This one is a slow burn but I never quite felt bored. Would possibly recommend for fans of Harakiri, though the latter is much better. There's some themes in this one about honor and pride. Humility and such. It's a samurai film, after all. It came highly recommended but just didn't hit that top mark for me. Still decent. 3.75/5

The Crash Reel [2013] by Lucy Walker

Interesting that I never heard Kevin Pearce's story before this documentary. Definitely a unique story and one that got you yelling at the screen like "wtf you dumbass, you seriously want to go back and snowboard again??". It may not be the documentary with the best editing or technical prowess, but it sure is one with some of the most raw emotions. 2.75/5

An American Werewolf in London [1981] by John Landis

First time watching this so I'm missing out on getting my mind blown in 1981 after seeing the cutting edge SFX and prosthetics. Had the same issue with The Thing. When so much of a movie hangs on being "the first to" it doesn't hold up too well. Give me a solid story, dialogue, acting, etc over the flash any day. Decent soundtrack. It's 90 minutes long but still felt like there was some fluff. The comedy wasn't that funny. The horror wasn't that scary. This is another highly rated one that just didn't live up to the hype for me, maybe I just had to be there. 3/5

Eyes Wide Shut [1999]
A man's exploration of sexual frustrations. Blue balls put on celluloid.
Legit question, are you married Max Power? When I first saw this film I was on acid and a year into my marriage. It helped me greatly in coming to terms with the reality of monogamy. I think it was one of his best but it's hard to rank Kubrick's work imo. Spartacus was probably his low point.

Nope (2022)

First Jordan Peele film I've seen. Better than Garland's weird ass Men earlier this year, but lacking in many ways and... pandering? There's nothing racial about this movie but I felt like... odd, sitting next to all these white folks as they chuckled at the two main characters saying, "Nope!" all the damn time.

And the Gordy side-plot? Like wtf was that about. Lots of this film was interesting but it fell flat in the end.

Better than anything else in theaters right now, but that ain't saying much.

6.8/10

Foxes, saw it long ago, few times in fact but its been decades, Foster is amazing in everything, was great to see Curry, sure was a trip down memory lane

Legit question, are you married Max Power? When I first saw this film I was on acid and a year into my marriage. It helped me greatly in coming to terms with the reality of monogamy. I think it was one of his best but it's hard to rank Kubrick's work imo. Spartacus was probably his low point.
I am not. Maybe I'll enjoy this more when I tie the knot? lol

Also, is Spartacus, REALLY a Kubrick film?

Speaking of . . .

2001: A Space Odyssey [1968] by Stanley Kubrick

Alright, I'm not going to say or add anything new that hasn't been said already about this film. This, along with Citizen Kane, is one of those paradigm shifting films in cinema. Hugely influential. However, my personal opinion . . . . ehhh . . . okay, so, I understand (on some level) the greater theme or overarching idea woven throughout the movie. Which itself is, from what I understand, a personal opinion as well, as Kubrick never really explained what any of it really meant. And since all three parts of the film are therefore 'interconnected', you could say they're all necessary to the expression of the overall meaning. Who am I to tell Kubrick otherwise? That being said: throw out the first third completely. Cut it. This did not need to be a 2.5 hour movie. Fuck the apes. Fuck their bullshit. The middle third is a cool sci-fi flick and the final 15-20 minutes elevate this into hallowed ground. 4.5/5

Bill Burr: Live at Red Rocks [2022] by Mike Binder

I love Bill Burr. Saw him in Vegas not too long ago. The great thing about having a crappy memory is I forgot most of the jokes in that set so this taped special was fresh. However, I did come away with the same thoughts after watching this that I did when I saw him live. And also the same feeling after watching Chappelle's last few specials. And that is: I'm a little tired of the "discussion". The politics. Feels like the majority of their set just revolves around discussing "wokeness" or what not. And regardless of where I stand on the issues (spoiler: I'm not offended and agree with a lot of it), the point is, there's a time and a place for it and when I go to a comedy show I want to hear anything but. Which is odd because I'm a big fan of Carlin and Hicks who kinda leaned into that stuff. And I get it, these comedians feel like their freedom of speech, their bread and butter, are being attacked. So they have to speak up. But to see what I want in a comedy special, look to something like Killing Them Softly. 2.75/5

Zerkalo AKA The Mirror [1975] by Andrei Tarkovsky

Okay, fine. I'm more than willing to admit I don't get Tarkovsky. Or maybe, I don't WANT to get Tarkovsky. I don't want to have to study and breakdown film like some fucking NFL coach. I just wanna get my yuks in. Granted, I enjoyed this a lot more than Stalker. But there's just this air of pretentiousness I can't get over. Maybe it's inherent to "surreal" or "art house" films but you don't see films like 8 1/2 take themselves this seriously. Godard has a ton of fun. This is stuffy. And yeah, it's Russian so they aren't known for their sense of humor. And from a technical standpoint, I get it. I like the black & white, and sepia tones, etc to differentiate the timelines. And the burning shed and pretty much all the scenes from the childhood on the farm are fucking beautiful and works of art. The framing of certain shots and use of mirrors: I get it. And yet . . . I'm a meat and potatoes guy. Not quite Michael Bay but I want something I can be entertained with throughout and not just enjoy little morsels here and there. I'll likely give this film another chance in the future but it did not make My Collection. 3.25/5

Memento [2000] by Christopher Nolan

Funny how I watched this after The Mirror and it employed the same "changing tones to show different timelines". I know it's mostly used to differentiate locations (see: Traffic). But time? I wonder if Nolan was inspired by Mirror. Who even started it? How common is it? Have I just been missing it? Any who. Nolan is up there with the best, this might be one of his more underrated. Is Nolan himself underrated among the greats? Should I get a Sammy Jenkis tattoo? So many questions. Anyways, back to the non-linear plot, I'd like to believe Nolan just wanted to be like Tarantino on steroids. Minus the ultra-violence and soundtrack. This film is what I'm talking about where it is entertaining for the Every Man but also has something for the film nerds and critics. Is it the best of both worlds? No. But it's entertaining. You can recommend it to mostly anyone and they'll likely enjoy it. Can't say that about Tarkovsky or even like, Kurosawa. There's something commendable about that. Go Nolan. 4.25/5

1917 [2019] by Sam Mendes

Boy do I have a hard on for single takes. Who doesn't? This one may be too much of a good thing, but fuck it. So glad I saw this in IMAX, it really gives is so much more depth. War films, I feel like, probably benefit the most. Off the top of my head: Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan. Sci-Fi films too, e.g. 2001 or Gravity. Interstellar. Inception. It's one thing seeing them at home, even on a big TV. But seeing them in theatres? Fuuuuck. Anyways, I like movies that challenge the conventional plot. So when one of the two messengers dies, specifically the brother, I was like fuck yeah! So refreshing to see. Yes it's sad but it's a film. I like different over overdone happy. This film would have benefit so much if it was 90 minutes. The single take would have been more palatable, if anything, and the fat trimmed. Still 4/5

I am not. Maybe I'll enjoy this more when I tie the knot? lol
Maybe you would lol. Like I said I was on acid, it made an impression and at the time I was feeling conflicting emotions about monogamy that EWS helped me sort out.
And since all three parts of the film are therefore 'interconnected', you could say they're all necessary to the expression of the overall meaning. Who am I to tell Kubrick otherwise?
IMO the film is about God and Kubrick’s interpretation of how humanity might have come to be. I saw some quote saying that after a screening at the Vatican a Cardinal stood up and exclaimed, “Now here’s an Agnostic man who knows about God!” And I couldn’t agree more.

But it is rather abstract. It’s whatever you make of it. But 2001 is another top ten of all time film for me.

Goood old series of Bruce Parry''s "Tribe".Like this guy.

Like I said I was on acid
'nuff said.

But have you ever seen the last act of 2001 with Pink Floyd's "Echoes" playing in the background. . . on acid?

The main idea I got from it all was the cyclical nature of Everything. But further than that, as enjoyable as mental masturbation is, I don't care to dissect any further. It's more enjoyable that way. Reminds me of that quote by Hemingway:

Then there is the other secret. There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. All the symbolism that people say is shit.

I'll drink to that.

'nuff said.

But have you ever seen the last act of 2001 with Pink Floyd's "Echoes" playing in the background. . . on acid?
Fair enough lol

Films are so very subjective. And I probably read way too deep into things. Maybe I should do something better with my time... but I probably won't :)

Just saw The Angriest Man In Brooklyn. I don't know how I missed that when it came out. It was a good thoughtful film. God bless Robin Williams, I hope he is rolling around Heaven.