Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

Dark Angel aka "I come in peace" 1990

Dolph Lundgren stars as a cop who is in over his head when an alien starts robbing drug dealers for heroin and killing people after extracting their endorphins to sell as a drug on its home world.

How does this alien kill all these drug dealers? By throwing razor sharp compact discs at their throats and slitting them primarily.

This is an early nineties cop movie and it plays out like one. The scifi elements are terrible.

That being said I enjoyed it, but I'm a fan of the genre and a huge Dolph Lundgren fan too.

2.5/5 stars

I think it was even released in 1984. Definitely one to check out if you're into dystopian movies/books.
I do like that genre.

If you've read another dystopian novel, Brave New World (1932) by Aldous Huxley, it's loosely similar to Gattaca (1997) starring Ethan Hawke. BNW is often compared to 1984 as far as futuristic dystopian works from the early to mid 20th century are concerned.

I recommend reading the book first to get a baseline and then you'll see how the film hits a lot of the plot.

I do like that genre.

If you've read another dystopian novel, Brave New World (1932) by Aldous Huxley, it's loosely similar to Gattaca (1997) starring Ethan Hawke. BNW is often compared to 1984 as far as futuristic dystopian works from the early to mid 20th century are concerned.

I recommend reading the book first to get a baseline and then you'll see how the film hits a lot of the plot.
One of my favorite films is in this genre. Brazil (1985)

You should check it out if you haven't already. I think it's by far the best film entry in the genre. Brave New World and 1984 film entries are not up to par with the books IMO.

I do like that genre.

BNW is good, although it's only dystopia-lite IMO...honestly after I read BNW, I just thought hmm, actually the world portrayed in that book didn't seem too bad lol

:LOL:

Also Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury...that, 1984 and BNW are like the holy trinity of dystopian fiction.

Also this one, more of a deep cut:

honestly after I read BNW, I just thought hmm, actually the world portrayed in that book didn't seem too bad lol
I know right? Hook me up with some Soma please Uncle Sam :)
Also Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Ahhhh yeah I think that one is very prescient... as we move away from reading entirely, it's eerie. We seem to be living in a slowly merging, modern version of 1984 and F 451.

i recently watched...

surveillance (2008)

not sure how i stumbled across this one. i learned that the director - jennifer lynch - is david lynch's daughter. bill pullman and julia ormond were both great and the supporting cast were also quirky and great. weird and wonderful and definitely quite lynchian.

i want you back (2022)

it was a little predictable and the ending was rushed but jenny slate and charlie day totally carried this.

alasdair

just watched the new dune movie. not that interesting but good science fiction is not that easy to find.

just watched the new dune movie. not that interesting but good science fiction is not that easy to find.
Were you a fan of the book or just watched it as a stand alone thing? I'm excited for part two next Fall.

I thought it was a fantastic adaptation of the novel. But it's also my favorite novel I've read and my wife found it too lore heavy to finish.

Reactions: izo
Picked up a mint 2000 print of Cobra Verde by Werner Herzog and it is dope. Case is in good shape, dvd is surprisingly good looking on a 4K tv. Watched it last night.

7/10, Herzog did more with Fitzcaraldo and Aguirre: Wrath of God but still very enjoyable. No film I’ve seen is quite like Cobra Verde.

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

I love this film!! I saw it for the first time as a kid and was blown away.

I was blown away again tonight as I noticed all kinds of information that I didn't notice previously. This movie has so much going on!

I don't even want to go into the plot but it's deep. It's got it all too. Sex, violence, witchcraft, a snake death cult religion.

This is a serious film for sure! If you've never seen it before, or it has been awhile do yourself a favor and check it out for free on tubi.
5/5 stars

I know right? Hook me up with some Soma please Uncle Sam :)
I always equated the whole Soma thing as parallel to Big Pharma pushing anti-depressants and other psychotropic meds on the populace. It's almost like they don't want anyone to feel any real emotions anymore. And if you refuse to participate, you'll turn into a wild man and we saw how that goes in the book.

One of my favorite films is in this genre. Brazil (1985)

You should check it out if you haven't already. I think it's by far the best film entry in the genre. Brave New World and 1984 film entries are not up to par with the books IMO.
Thanks for the hot tip, I will have to look up Brazil.

Yeah, I typically prefer book versions of most films adapted from books. Like I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest before reading the book and couldn't get the image of Jack Nicholson out of my head as the main character who was supposed to be a red head. Same with No Country for Old Men.