Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

Watched The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) tonight.

At first I kinda had trouble accepting Jesus as a blond hair, blue eyed gent but I remembered that the catholic church has portrayed him as such for centuries. The ending was a mindfuck, like wow. During the opening credits, they stated that it is a fictional story not based on the gospels. However, much of the script was based on actual scripture albeit with minor alterations to verbiage. Overall, I enjoyed this movie. Must be watched with an open mind.

Just saw Shazam: Fury of the Gods at the cinema with my daughter.

Jerry Atrick said:
At first I kinda had trouble accepting Jesus as a blond hair, blue eyed gent

It could be worse.

In Shazam 2, the daughters of Atlas are: Helen Mirren (an old white British woman), Lucy Liu (a middle aged Asian-American woman) and Rachel Zegler (a 20 year old latin American).

They play Greek Gods.

I agree with the critics on this one. It doesn't stand up to the original. The plot is crap. The villains are crap. It's not all bad, though. There are some good moments.

Jimmy Fallon is good in the titular role.

5/10

Last edited:
Just saw Shazam: Fury of the Gods at the cinema with my daughter.

It could be worse.

In Shazam 2, the daughters of Atlas are: Helen Mirren (an old white British woman), Lucy Liu (a middle aged Asian-American woman) and Rachel Zegler (a 20 year old latin American).

They play Greek Gods.

I agree with the critics on this one. It doesn't stand up to the original. The plot is crap. The villains are crap. It's not all bad, though. There are some good moments.

Jimmy Fallon is good in the titular role.

5/10
Wasn't the Shazam with Sinbad that movie they tried to erase from history? Or did it never exist? :unsure:

i watched blue jay.

715ja+TzW+L._SL1500_.jpg

i generally like the stuff the duplasses do and this was no exception. it's just two great actors and their dialogue.

alasdair

Women Talking: this one fell flat for me. The dialogue felt contrived and melodramatic. There were occasional moments when it got through to me but they were fleeting.

^ I wondered how that one was. Thought it could've gone either way, the plot sounded like they could've done something good with it but the descriptions of the film made it sound kinda boring too

Wasn't the Shazam with Sinbad that movie they tried to erase from history? Or did it never exist? :unsure:

Yeah I was shocked when I heard that movie mentioned on the radio. I did a double-take like no fuckin way, they cannot be remaking the movie I'm thinking of lol

Pitch Black (2000)

Early Vin Diesel sci-fi action flick. Guest starring Claudia Black before she did Farscape and Keith David well after his prime.

It wasn’t awful. But I can genuinely say I’d never watch it again lol

5/10

Leaving Las Vegas (1995)

Nic Cage won a best actor Oscar for this one. Third time viewing it but first time really paying attention. ‘95 must have been a bad year for acting if he won that Oscar lol. He was… well, a drunk Nic Cage. He wasn’t awful but honestly his co-Star who played a call girl was wayyy better. Tough movie to sit through, especially after getting clean from a few months of alcoholism.

Not really a great film but the acting was genuine. Also, fuck Sting. So tired of his songs being in 90s flicks.

7/10

Out of Africa (1985)

Winner of seven academy awards (somehow). Meryl Streep is in true form; bland and unappealing. She ain’t a very good actor IMO. If someone can recommend something she’s actually good in, I’d love it.

Robert Redford really steals the show. Him, and Africa itself, which is beautifully shot and scored amazingly by John Barry. It earns the best cinematography Oscar but the rest, idk.

Second viewing too. I cannot stand Meryl Streep’s Danish “accent” in this flick. She’s just not convincing. Almost everyone does a better acting job than her here. Hell she can’t even shed a real tear when Redford’s character dies. Boooooo!

Worthwhile for Oscar curious people, and colonialism interested folks. Otherwise I dunno, I’d pass it up.

7/10

^Also Sydney Pollock was much better as Ziegler in Eyes Wide Shut than as director of this film. Wtf bro.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Easily one of the best political/assassin thrillers I’ve seen. Hard to believe that this was pre-JFK assassination. Angela Lansbury is perfect in her role. As is Frank Sinatra. So much color despite it being black and white, see it on Amazon Prime before they remove it next month!

8/10

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

Same shit, more sexy babes. Shitty version of RE:3 villain the Nemesis. Who doesn’t love Milla Jovovich right? Trash film, I fell asleep after the fourth beer. Perhaps number of beers should be my rating system now.

I’m onto the next next one (because Netflix skipped out on RE: Extinction for some reason?) and it seems pretty garbage but more sexy Milla so I can’t complain. Am drunk. Some sad fan service here. This guy should have stuck to Event Horizon, Soldier and the like. He was better at that. Shame Paul W.S. Anderson!

4.5/10?

alasdairm said:
i generally like the stuff the duplasses do and this was no exception. it's just two great actors and their dialogue.

alasdair

I love Mark Duplass. Will check this out.

Jerry Atrick said:

When I saw your post, I "remembered" that film... then I did a bit of internet sleuthing.

I have a friend who is heavily into the Mandela effect, because he can't admit how shit his memory is. I had a long conversation with him about it and he claimed to remember everything, so I told him to draw me a picture of the sink in his bathroom and then send me a photo of it when he got home. I never got the photo. He said that his drawing "wasn't right" but he still insisted that the Mandela effect is a real thing. Denial is a powerful thing.

Shaq was in a movie called Kazaam.
Shaqkazaam... Shazam.

Sometimes I don't remember what I ate for breakfast.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Easily one of the best political/assassin thrillers I’ve seen. Hard to believe that this was pre-JFK assassination. Angela Lansbury is perfect in her role. As is Frank Sinatra. So much color despite it being black and whites see it one Amazon Prime before they remove it next month!

8/10

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

Same shit, more sexy babes. Shitty version of RE:3 villain the Nemesis. Who doesn’t love Milla Jovovich right? Trash film, I fell asleep after the fourth beer. Perhaps number of beers should be my rating system now.

I’m onto the next next one (because Netflix skipped out on RE: Extinction for some reason?) and it seems pretty garbage but more sexy Milla so I can’t complain. Am drunk. Some sad fan service here. This guy should have stuck to Event Horizon, Soldier and the like. He was better at that. Shame Paul W.S. Anderson!

4.5/10?

What did you think of Jonathan Demme's 2004 remake? They "updated" it, from a communism context to a war on terror context, with mixed results I thought...it was ok though, the cinematography was good as I remember

What did you think of Jonathan Demme's 2004 remake? They "updated" it, from a communism context to a war on terror context, with mixed results I thought...it was ok though, the cinematography was good as I remember
I never saw the remake, IIRC it had lower iMDB ratings when I saw it on Netflix a bit back so I blew past it. I must admit, I let iMDB do my movie picks a lot, when it comes to high dollar films.

B movies though, I pick those myself. They always have low ratings lol

The Blue Max (1966)

George Peppard outdoes his Breakfast at Tiffany’s role (which I do not say lightly). A very entertaining and well acted, if a bit historically inaccurate WWI aviation flick, told from the German perspective.

Overall a rather good film that I’m sad hasn’t seen a wider Blu-ray release. The Twilight Time release command over $200 currently and that’s well outside my price range; guess I’ll be hunting down a dvd copy or perhaps making my own Blu-ray if I can.

8/10 beers

Henry V (1989)

Kenneth Branagh’s big debute, he adapted the screenplay and directed and starred in this adaptation of Shakespeare.

The addition of Derek Jacobi as a story teller to add some clarity to things was nice. Unsure what of his dialogue was original to the play. I’m not one for Shakespeare but love a good adaptation (i.e. Ran, Richard III) of his plays. This one was well done and made it accessible for me.

Lots of 80s English talent on display when many were still young, including a very young Christian Bale. The Battle of Agincourt was well shot and acted and while the movie did drag on a bit, especially towards the end, overall it was an enjoyable medieval flick.

Hard to understand some of the Shakespearean dialogue but with the help of the visuals easy enough to understand.

7.5/10

have you seen roman polanski's "macbeth"?
I have not, this is a more recent interest of mine I’ve just started exploring (based upon what Prime offers to stream lol). I didn’t even know Polanski did a Macbeth film, I enjoyed the play when we studied it in school and I also have an odd love for Polanski’s work. Especially Chinatown and The Ninth Gate, two of my favorite films.