Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokey and the Bandit

Classic, loved seeing younger Burt Reynolds shine. The plot of Coors beer being illicit past the Mississippi River though confused the hell outa me; then again I didn't live through the 70s and alcohol laws have changed so much over the past century. Good film anyways though. Had the wife and I laughing a lot.

8/10

And Then There Were None (1945)

Pretty decent adaptation of an Agatha Christie mystery. Always enjoy these. Color was funny, I assume they did it by hand-painting the film reel so it's like you're tripping, colors always change from moment to moment in each scene.

7.5/10

Big Trouble in Little China

I'm a big John Carpenter fan; I love what he did with the score in this one, plus the cheese that is Kurt Russel is always a hoot. 30 minutes too long though.

6/10

Aliens

I love the Alien franchise, seen Aliens many times. I'm working my way through the films chronologically right now (wana see #4 since it was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet). Aliens takes a place in cementing James Cameron as a titan of science fiction; sooooo many parts of Aliens were stolen by future films to create the sci-fi we all enjoy today. The mechs in Avatar, the Marines and drop-ships in Starship Troopers, etc. seem to have all stemmed from this classic. Loved seeing Cameron re-use the actor who he had play Kyle Reese in The Terminator.

8.5/10

Predator

The classic Predator film, this film didn't weather time well. I so enjoyed seeing Carl Weathers amazing, sub-par acting here though. Couldn't help but think of him in Arrested Development lol.

7/10

Predator 2

This film sucked. A 1990 film that takes place in 1997 where the whole populace of L.A. is armed and Mexican drug cartels can get their hands on Austrian/German military grade weapons and Danny Glover uses some modified Desert Eagle that has a .22 caliber sized hole for bullets lol (sorry I pay wayyyy too close attention to firearms in films now). So many one-liners. Only worth watching if you feel like plowing through ALL the Predator films.

3/10

The Lair of the White Worm

I love me some Ken Russel films, I can almost always look past the cheese and enjoy the sumptuous scenery. One year prior to The Rainbow and sharing many of the same actors, this pile of poop sprung into existence... this was beyond camp. I enjoyed seeing Amanda Donahoe traipse around naked most of the film and the camera work was fantastic. Russel clearly knows how to make a good film... but I guess he didn't mean to with this one? Idk, obviously his films are hit and miss for most, but I couldn't stomach the random MTV-80s music video style for the 'vision' scenes lol. Just terrible...

4/10

Last edited:
Oh yeah, too many films lately so I forgot one lol:

Scoop (2006)

Really enjoyed this Woody Allen film. Probably one of his best from the 2000s. Hugh Jackman really had me laughing at the end, and who doesn't like seeing Scarlet Johannsen's cute face throughout a film. The plot was something between Curse of the Jade Scorpion and Irrational Man, which came out almost a decade after. Being that this was an older film and better executed, I enjoyed it more.

7/10

'the white lotus' [tv show], 5 episodes are out, i'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of this show, anyone else watching it?

the score is great because it has the same composer who did utopia's soundtrack, the uk one.

Alien 3

So I first saw this film (the last I watched in the series) when I was maybe 16 or 17 years old, and at the time I thought of it as a pretty bad film lacking all the features of the first two films that made them good.

Well, I was naïve and wrong.

Alien 3 was an exceptional sequel film. With British acting and direction, we get a completely new take on the Alien saga. Christian imagery is littered throughout (English folk really enjoy that huh?) and Ripley takes on an almost reluctant Messiah type complex. Some amazing English actors as the prisoners of the God forsaken rock Ripley lands on really pull the film together, leaving the first half of the film as tense build-up with really quite good character development, and the last half for our prisoners to redeem themselves in the eyes of God as they valiantly give one last effort to put a final end to these malevolent aliens.

Despite the near 2hr run time, the pacing never lagged and I felt drawn in the entire time. The only real drawback to this film in my opinion was the use of crude early 90s CGI in several scenes in the second half, in order to allow the alien to climb on walls, etc. It looked God awful and somehow James Cameron and Ridley Scott handled that way better with their films. That being said, that's my only real gripe with the film.

8/10

John Wick: Chapter 2

So I've seen all three Wick films in theaters. The first one blew me away, it was campy yet very, very entertaining. Episode two, well I fell asleep about 15 minutes in and had absolutely no recollection of it, my friend waking me up when the film had ended.

Given this, I decided to return to chapter two, having seen three and been very confused when it was released hahah. Well...

Chapter 2 sucked. It wasn't God awful, but it was a complete mimic of the first film, not a real sequel. Scene after scene is repeated, we even get a dubstep/techno heavy shoot-out/gun-fu scene in the middle just like the first film. This time his dog doesn't die (sorry spoilers lol) but you don't really care; Wick isn't out for revenge now, people are just always trying to kill the poor guy.

All in all, it was boring, and only stands up well as an action film in the way the Die Hard sequels do; we all just enjoy seeing the good guy shoot bad guys with cool guns. I enjoyed seeing the Benelli m4 shotgun used to amazing effect (6 rounds semi-auto? Bloody...) and the various handguns he runs through, the badass SOCOM styled M4 carbine he uses... that's just me being too interested in movie weaponry lately lol.

Anyway, yeah I got bored. 30 minutes too long... no one cares about the silly 'assassin's code' backstory guys -_-

5/10

Last edited:
Alien: Resurrection (1997)

The fourth Alien film, directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Having never seen this one before despite owning it in a box set for a good five or more years now, I decided to finally give it a watch and see why people called it the 'worst' Alien film when I was young.

Going in with what I would call less-biased eyes, I would say this film falls well within' Jeunet's odd surrealistic style. It felt a lot more like The City of the Lost Children than it did an Alien film. Indeed, Ron Perlman and Dominique Pinon have pivotal rolls in this film and help to both 'ham' it up as well as remind me, "This is a Jeunet film, don't fuss."

From the introductory credits scene, I knew this would be a different style of film altogether. Right off the bat we see distorted images of monstrous creatures. The camera work here was so quirky and utterly creepy. This was an Alien film that sent shivers up my spine from the get-go. We then see Brad Dourif dressed as a mad scientist, extracting a baby alien queen from what appears to be Ripley. This is all supposedly 200 years after the events of Alien 3, so Ripley has been outa touch for what... ~260 years now?

With the time discrepancy in mind, I felt Jeunet could then go wild. I mean who the hell knows what mad scientists will be doing 250 years from now. In order to enjoy this film you have to suspend your expectation of a truly sensical plot and invest in the sheer amazing special-effects. We see VERY little CGI, only being used in a water scene (what's with Jeunet and water?) when it would be most difficult to use anything but CGI. This film has utterly amazing special-effects and managed to make me say out loud 'ewwwww...' far more often.

In the end it felt like a surrealistic exploitation film. Could the plot have been better? Ohhhhh yeah. But did it need to be better? And was the film still enjoyable once I accepted the silly plot? No and yes.

Jeunet's output here was nothing less than I expected. It could have been better, and indeed was a bit disappointing coming from someone who's other film's I've so thoroughly loved. I anticipate I'll enjoy this one more than Ridley Scott's latest flick, Covenant but we'll see.

6.5/10

Threw on At Close Range (1985) not really knowing what to expect other than some Christopher Walken antics. Gruesome bummer of a flick, gorgeously shot though it may be. It was fun to see Sean and Chris Penn together (and their real mom as well!), and I was immediately sold on the synth soundtrack that plays over the opening scene (which hilariously is a collage of various close-ups of Sean Penn's face as he's driving his pickup truck into town). As you can imagine, Walken is extra-weird as Penn's criminal dad. Not sure this was the correct casting choice (but then again is Walken ever the appropriate choice?) We also are treated to appearances by Crispin Glover (not giving it his best, I must admit) and a dough-faced Kiefer Sutherland. Then out of nowhere a Madonna song over the end credits. Not mad I watched this, but it didn't blow my mind.

Earlier in the day I randomly put on 1993's Malice after seeing it in the "yuppies in peril" collection of this torrent site I'm on (alongside Pacific Heights, Single White Female and the likes). When I saw the name Aaron Sorkin in the credits I knew there was trouble ahead. If I ever have to describe "movie logic" to anyone this would be a prime example. Spoilers ahead, but this starts out ostensibly as a serial killer movie, but then the main plot turns out to be something else entirely and the mechanics of the screenplay are laid bare in a rather unconvincing fashion (although there is a visual gag that is set up early in the film and pays off wonderfully in the final scene). Makes no goddamn sense, but loads of fun. Along with The Last Seduction also kind of explains why Bill Pullman later ended up in Lost Highway.

Buffalo '66, great movie, really enjoyed it
I love how of all people Vincent Gallo spearheaded the "bullet time" trend without digital trickery of any kind.

Alien 3

So I first saw this film (the last I watched in the series) when I was maybe 16 or 17 years old, and at the time I thought of it as a pretty bad film lacking all the features of the first two films that made them good.

Well, I was naïve and wrong.

Alien 3 was an exceptional sequel film. With British acting and direction, we get a completely new take on the Alien saga. Christian imagery is littered throughout (English folk really enjoy that huh?) and Ripley takes on an almost reluctant Messiah type complex. Some amazing English actors as the prisoners of the God forsaken rock Ripley lands on really pull the film together, leaving the first half of the film as tense build-up with really quite good character development, and the last half for our prisoners to redeem themselves in the eyes of God as they valiantly give one last effort to put a final end to these malevolent aliens.

Despite the near 2hr run time, the pacing never lagged and I felt drawn in the entire time. The only real drawback to this film in my opinion was the use of crude early 90s CGI in several scenes in the second half, in order to allow the alien to climb on walls, etc. It looked God awful and somehow James Cameron and Ridley Scott handled that way better with their films. That being said, that's my only real gripe with the film.

8/10
I have a complicated relationship to Alien 3. It's certainly not a stinker, but don't think it's a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, although it is aesthetically pleasing. The sets, cinematography, costume design and music are all fantastic. The cast is great too. Where it falls short is that it doesn't bring much that is new to the table, and runs out of steam by the end. There's so many characters that we barely get to familiarize ourselves with, that we feel nothing when they're offed one by one, even if they're mostly played by recognizable character actors (Withnail and I's Paul McGann steals the shows as Golic). There's only so much excitement you can derive from seeing people running around yelling indistinctly at each other when we know exactly what's going to happen to them. Then there's the unfortunately familiar setting of the climax inside a metal foundry that feels like, uh, reheated leftovers from a little film called T2 released one year prior.

Having grown up obsessed with Alien, I can't help but revisit it every once in a while, even if I know there's not a whole lot of depth to explore. The Christian allegory feels kind of muddled and I'm not sure what we're supposed to take away from it other than what you described. Note that in the extended cut Ripley jumps with her arms outstretched as if crucified, which is... real subtle. That being said I kind of wish the film had gone deeper into Golic's apocalyptic mindset and explored that a bit more. The scene where he releases the creature is fucking sick. I can't believe the studio felt it needed to be cut. In fact, I believe one of the early drafts was in fact much heavier on the religious stuff unless I'm mistaken.

Somewhere in there is a great movie, but it just didn't really coalesce into anything of substance. But you could do worse with your time.

As for Resurrection, I have no desire to revisit, even if I don't remember exactly hating it. Although I distinctly remember the banter being insufferably corny, thanks to one Joss Whedon.

Although I distinctly remember the banter being insufferably corny, thanks to one Joss Whedon.
Oh my goodness yes... Whedon claims it wasn't his 'fault' Jeunet made a silly screenplay into a serious film (it's the Alien franchise... horror movies man c'mon. Buffy doesn't get you off the hook) but IMO it was Fox's fault for casting him to write the screenplay in the first place. I quite enjoyed the elements that Jeunet added and appreciated his attempts to salvage a cheesy plot into something creepy. Resurrection was the only one to give me nightmares this time around. I also enjoyed the disturbing addition of sexuality to a very French extent lol... I was reading the trivia for Resurrection and apparently Jeunet wanted to add lots more dicks and vaginas to various Aliens lol. Fox couldn't stomach it so that was scrapped.

I was simply amazed with what Resurrection was able to achieve considering 1) Alien 3 wrapped things up with a nice bow. 2) the budget was very slim for a 1997 blockbuster (competing with the likes of Starship Troopers and The Lost World the same year). 3) Much of the budget went to paying actors (Weaver got something like $11 million?) who did a decent job despite Whedon's awful screenplay.

I can see what you're sayin' about Alien 3. I was smoking lots of weed and on methadone all the past few weeks while watching and so I might have enjoyed it more than I 'should' have. Like I said, as a teen I thought it a garbage film; but within' the Alien franchise I very much liked it. It was still leaps and bounds better than all the Predator films combined IMO. Not a must watch film like the first two but entirely worth it if you're into the franchise.

Then there's the unfortunately familiar setting of the climax inside a metal foundry that feels like, uh, reheated leftovers from a little film called T2 released one year prior.
Oh yeah I meant to say, T2 was a terribly reheated version of the ending of T1 which came out a good decade earlier. I felt very much ripped off by Cameron with T2 although it was one of the best sequels I've ever seen. Too much of the plot was ripped from the original film. With Alien 3 at least it was a different director trying to keep Alien fresh; whereas James Cameron just kinda fell into a "I make the same movie over and over" pattern. I'm surprised Aliens didn't end in a furnace too.

Amityville - A New Generation

This and the film before and the entry after all utilise a 'haunted object' as the main plot device eg a mirror in this case. Watched them in the wrong order but who cares lol.

I actually thought these three films were better than the reputation they get. I know they're low budget and the acting can be a bit ropey at times but the story flows nicely and keeps you engaged enough to care what happens next. Anyway...'artist' Keyes (I think that's how it's spelled) get given a haunted mirror and people start dying in terrible ways is the main plot of the story. The mirror came from the Amityville house so that's how it's connected (great lol) and then he starts descending into madness during the film.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Last edited:
@Cream Gravy?

tbh AvP, specifically gets too much bad vibes from the audience. The atmosphere in the movie was perfect, Requiem was like salt in coffee, yeah but the 2004 was and still is a masterpiece. Scotty should offer us more of the Predator world, I had some talks with my comrades long time ago, right when Prometheus came to the box office and we got to a conclusion that Predator were the first entities and they created these 2 species for the purpose of removing loneliness. Also make a lot more sense this way

I just saw

2019-01-21_5c4633ebb940a_polar-2019-dvdcover-950x638.jpg

Isn't a simple action slasher, it has a beautiful chemistry between actors. Only downside is that it's stained with, any lover for cinematography will figure it out imed ahaha, anyhow the relationship between him and the girl is pretty logical, his activities, isn't filled with information. Is a well done ''mystery crime'' movie that directors who do these type of film should look at it and do better. To end this train of thought I might add that Mads had an impact I think on everyone behind the scenes, and without him the movie wouldn't be the same, another great example of how good of an actor he is like we saw in Maend & Hons by Anders Thomas Jensen

Re-watched Delicatessen. Excellent dark comedy/existentialist drama. Definitely one I'll be adding to the shelf later, already got Amelie. Wana add City of the Lost Children as well. All classics by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Really enjoying getting into French films these past two years.

8/10
Try out Naked Lunch(syfi druggy movie). The Cook, The Thief, his wife and her lover. Like water for chocolate.(subtitled)
Life is a great sy fi and also Prometheus, I think I spelled that right. These may not be your cup of tea. But, they are in a catagory of wierd, like Delicatessen.

Status
Not open for further replies.