• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos When does tolerance/withdrawal begin?

Anotherwon

Greenlighter
I used the lowest dose Xanax I could sporadically for about during one month but then began using it as a comedown and for sleep, pretty much starting the crossover into abuse as I was aware it was a super dangerous class to come off of. But I also know it is maybe even decades shorter than some other people.

So one month regularly in with an irregular month before that, should I be tapering? I know to use as little as possible but do not know if I've reached the trouble point yet. Like if I started tapering when I don't even need to that's even worse because I'm more dependent.

The one month regularly I am at 2mg minimum for comedown several times it was 3mg. But also 1mg sober is nearly overwhelming so I am hoping I am not too bad. I know you can go in .25 increments but unfortunately I didn't set up a reliable way to do that to this point.

Last edited:
if you have no history of abuse of alcohol/benzos that includes a withdrawal syndrome, you might be ok. Just stop, and if you start feeling anxious/sweaty/shaky -- take .25. it shouldn't be too hard to do.

if ^^^ that is not the case, you might be in for a world of hurt, requiring a lengthy taper. FWIW - this is not a fight worth picking, if you are in the genetic bucket predisposed to developing GABA habituation (I am),
it is the worst, and one of the worst, most life altering things that can happen to you to cop a serious benzo habit. It's not worth it for a night of sleep/to come down.

You should try just not taking it. If you are dependent, you'll know when after a day or two, you start to feel really anxious. You might feel a little rebound anxiety even if you're not fully dependent, or have insomn9a, this doesn't mean you're actually dependent. But if you feel extremely anxious, or feel feelings of doom, or start to feel shaky, you'll know you're dependent and will need to do a taper in order to come off safely.

You're correct that if you're not dependent, a taper would be bad as it would increase your chances of becoming dependent since you'd be taking it for longer.

If you've never been dependent before, you may have escaped it as it takes a while for dependence to form, unless you have been taking big doses. If you're not dependent, then be thankful and count your blessings and make sure not to let yourself get there. If you are, you're not too deep in yet and can taper and avert a major life issue.

You should try just not taking it. If you are dependent, you'll know when after a day or two, you start to feel really anxious. You might feel a little rebound anxiety even if you're not fully dependent, or have insomn9a, this doesn't mean you're actually dependent. But if you feel extremely anxious, or feel feelings of doom, or start to feel shaky, you'll know you're dependent and will need to do a taper in order to come off safely.

You're correct that if you're not dependent, a taper would be bad as it would increase your chances of becoming dependent since you'd be taking it for longer.

If you've never been dependent before, you may have escaped it as it takes a while for dependence to form, unless you have been taking big doses. If you're not dependent, then be thankful and count your blessings and make sure not to let yourself get there. If you are, you're not too deep in yet and can taper and avert a major life issue.
well it seems I have no tolerance. I was able to try to for sure confirmed lower doses and will stay there.

The tricky part with the really anxious thing is I knew about the dependency issue and maybe created the anxiety myself. But since I seem to be very low level yeah I am just going to skip it.
I avoided the drug class for a long time and don't find it recreational, but its damn useful. So maybe its just for an emergency kit.