• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Flower White mold on buds

Nurse Ratched

Bluelight Crew
A grower that harvested 2 weeks ago was having trouble finding honest trimmers. His wife called me as she knows I would help out and am trustworthy even though she also knows I don't like to trim. It pays 3 grams per hour ( no $$$ ) so I figured if I helped for 3 or 4 days I could acquire 72 grams or so I would have a supply for the whole Winter. ( Live and smoke alone )

Anyway , when it came time for my pay he gave me 3 different kinds ( one of them being one I didn't help trim ) . Got home, went to put it up in jars, and I noticed a white mold growing on the edge of a lot of the buds. Some of it took up a whole half of the bud. I was like hmmmmm. It's just mold, I can cut it away, and still have a good sized bud left and I didn't really want to complain as the grower was going through some hard times. ( a quarter of his crop had been stolen, he couldnt find good help during the grow, and someone ratted him out for going over the allotted plants you can grow ).

Even though I cut the moldy parts off.....Did it infiltrate the whole bud with spores and is it dangerous to inhale? It tastes okay ( not like the green stuff that grows on bread ) and is pretty decent weed. It does have a slight taste of dirt but I can live with it if the mold is okay to inhale.

Thanks guys and gals

You'd have to look at it under a microscope. I don't know much about that. TO distinguish that it may be a white hair, like a lot of strains have when they're fresh. Or maybe a mold.

Did it infiltrate the whole bud with spores and is it dangerous to inhale?
I would think yes to both questions.
I know there is a reason that buds are trimmed of cobwebs, molds and other unwanted parts/pieces. Not an expert on this so take this with a grain of salt.
There is the question of why he would give ya this strain as if it was a "good" thing I would think it would be in high demand and sell-able...?
Careful with that not sure what all mold intake can cause or how quick symptoms appear and last. ;)

Yeah, I think quite frankly that I got the shaft. I got 2 other kinds ( had seen and trimmed that ) but I got about 20 grams of the moldy stuff. Kind of felt betrayed, but blew it off. I mean it was a lot of free pot for 3 days work. Sigh.

powdery mildew

don't smoke that, pumpkin

and yes the spores are most likely all over even tho you cut off what you saw

Thanks guys. Gonna put it in the cupboard, use what I have and when the guy's life calms down a bit I'll see if he will replace it. At least half of it anyway. I won't smoke it. Not really fond of the dirt taste anyway.

i pay trimmers $200 a lb - so if you go slow, that's on you

if i were you, that's the only way i'd trim for somebody - cash for weight

This one time I grew white widow, half the bud came out white on the top, not because of mold but because of light burn - so it might be that.

he knows it's there too - he should never be giving you that - thats fucked up if you ask me
Yeah, I was disappointed. Guess we just live and learn. 3 days of trimming and I got about 50 grams of smokeable weed so it's all good. I have to say I didn't like the atmosphere of the whole thing so won't be doing it again.

This one time I grew white widow, half the bud came out white on the top, not because of mold but because of light burn - so it might be that.
I would expect the sun to burn the tips. This was on the sides ( and moist ). I'm just gonna 86 the stuff and be happy it wasn't more of the shit stuff. He knew he had to give me some of the stuff I trimmed ( the good stuff ) but he snuck in that other 20 grams. Bastard.

I would expect the sun to burn the tips. This was on the sides ( and moist ). I'm just gonna 86 the stuff and be happy it wasn't more of the shit stuff. He knew he had to give me some of the stuff I trimmed ( the good stuff ) but he snuck in that other 20 grams. Bastard.
Oh it was grown using sunlight? Then yeah, most likely sounds like something else - maybe mold (never had moldy buds before).

Hey. I hate to say it, but if it is mold, I think not only the respective bud, but also the jar is lost. At least for smoking/vaping. :( It's like with bread, a bud is an airy thing, if there is mold on one corner you can forget the whole piece, even the parts where there is no visible mold!

I once had a full 1000ml jar of popcorn nugs go moldy on me, despite the lid not being on. :mad: (It was just too moist still.) I thought about smoking instead of vaping, but is it really only smoke (the combustion product) one inhales? I don't think so. So I made a green dragon (ethanol, 98% by volume) with it. You thought about that, resp. are you into that? Better than throwing it away I would day.

Better save than sorry..

Hey. I hate to say it, but if it is mold, I think not only the respective bud, but also the jar is lost. At least for smoking/vaping. :( It's like with bread, a bud is an airy thing, if there is mold on one corner you can forget the whole piece, even the parts where there is no visible mold!

I once had a full 1000ml jar of popcorn nugs go moldy on me, despite the lid not being on. :mad: (It was just too moist still.) I thought about smoking instead of vaping, but is it really only smoke (the combustion product) one inhales? I don't think so. So I made a green dragon (ethanol, 98% by volume) with it. You thought about that, resp. are you into that? Better than throwing it away I would day.

Better save than sorry..
I could learn some things and change it's structure I suppose. Luckily the moldy stuff was in a baggie of its own ( got 3 kinds, 3 seperate baggies ). Noticed the mold when I went to jar up each 3 separately. I'll put it up and decide what I want to do with it later this winter. I do hate to toss it if it can be made non smokeable. Thanks for your input.

Their metabolites can still dissolve in the tincture causing it to taste moldy and extract toxins.