• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Who Do SO MANY Americans think "The UK" and "Africa" are countries?

Northern Ireland is 100% considered a country.
Doesn't seem to be the consensus. Maybe by people who learn geocentric geography and refuse to admit when they're wrong but that's how people from the U.K always behave when you point out their inconsistencies.

USA is the empire of today and last 100 or so years. People are envious and love to trash the more powerfull ones. As USA empire is basically ruling the world after WW2 and especially after 1990s they think of themselves and their country more highly, but more important - rest of the world that was in their shoes not so long ago and the part of the world that is under their boot as we speak (basically the whole west if the starting point is Greenwich) is jealous. Just as average Joe is jealous of his neighbour that has more going for him and is hating his boss cause he has to do what his boss tells him. And from here we get "let's mock USA and it's citizens cause we are jealous pricks who, as they can't behave like them, then they can lick wounds of their broken ego. And since there are so many of them and Youtube is at hand then we shall comfort ourselves that "they may be more wealthy and have stronger army but look how stupid this people are...have you seen that video about USA citizens responding to questions? They are so dumb...".

P.S. Educational system is plummeting all over western world and people are getting dumber and more compliant with everery generation. It is not USA thing. Just google "reality".

This hypothesis can be very wrong like every other but that is how I see it.

Have a nice day you all. 🙂

Northern Ireland is not the UK either there part of the EU as they did not split with brexit.

Northern Ireland is 100% considered a country.
but , could you say that again? ~takes notes. northern Ireland is.let me. erm me rethink, africa is south and not an isle south of the north , damn.wait i got this i shall shed this info on my spawn.......how do you . k nevermind that place by ,fukkn mericans and their knowledge or lack there of

The average PHD program in the United States is 6yrs.
excatly.

in europe they are 3.5-4. the reason for the longer PhD in the US is so that US PhDs can compete on a world stage, despite their educations system being poorer. the extra 2 years is mostly tuition to get the candidates up to the level that is required to do serious research.

USA is the empire of today and last 100 or so years. People are envious and love to trash the more powerfull ones. As USA empire is basically ruling the world after WW2 and especially after 1990s they think of themselves and their country more highly, but more important - rest of the world that was in their shoes not so long ago and the part of the world that is under their boot as we speak (basically the whole west if the starting point is Greenwich) is jealous. Just as average Joe is jealous of his neighbour that has more going for him and is hating his boss cause he has to do what his boss tells him. And from here we get "let's mock USA and it's citizens cause we are jealous pricks who, as they can't behave like them, then they can lick wounds of their broken ego. And since there are so many of them and Youtube is at hand then we shall comfort ourselves that "they may be more wealthy and have stronger army but look how stupid this people are...have you seen that video about USA citizens responding to questions? They are so dumb...".

P.S. Educational system is plummeting all over western world and people are getting dumber and more compliant with everery generation. It is not USA thing. Just google "reality".

This hypothesis can be very wrong like every other but that is how I see it.

Have a nice day you all. 🙂
you too, i mean you two. i got this shit down now

excatly.

in europe they are 3.5-4. the reason for the longer PhD in the US is so that US PhDs can compete on a world stage, despite their educations system being poorer. the extra 2 years is mostly tuition to get the candidates up to the level that is required to do serious research.
Yeah... I don't know if I necessarily buy that. A large number of people come from all over the world to our universities. Our ivy league colleges definitely more than match up with the colleges in the U.K. The problem is the difference in the universities. We're talking 5 public state colleges or more per state, not including all the private and ivy league schools. There is literally probably thousands of colleges in the United States. The quality greatly varies, unfortunately the best colleges are unaffordable except by the elites or those with highest honors.

That also conflicts with your earlier statement about the U.K lagging behind France and their doctorate programs taking 6 years.

they have to do the longest PhDs of anywhere (6 years compared to our 3.5) to be able to produce researchers capable of competing on a global stage.
the 'they' here refers to US students, apologies for being unclear based on my previous sentence regarding my difficulties studying in france. fwiw i just looked it up and actually french PhDs are 3 years, so the higher level there compared to here translates directly into less time needed for a student to earn a doctoral degree.

so, in general, french undergrad > UK undergrad > US undergrad and this is reflected by students from those systems needing 3, 3.5-4, 4.5-6 years, respectively, to complete their PhDs.

Yeah... I don't know if I necessarily buy that. A large number of people come from all over the world to our universities. Our ivy league colleges definitely more than match up with the colleges in the U.K. The problem is the difference in the universities. We're talking 5 public state colleges or more per state, not including all the private and ivy league schools. There is literally probably thousands of colleges in the United States. The quality greatly varies, unfortunately the best colleges are unaffordable except by the elites or those with highest honors.
i'm not saying that all US universities are bad. that is clearly not the case, as per here:

That also conflicts with your earlier statement about the U.K lagging behind France and their doctorate programs taking 6 years.
see above. european doctoral programs are 3.5-4 years, and i have friends who went straight from UK PhDs to post docs in Ivy League/very highly ranked US universities and excelled. my experience and that of all academics who i've spoken to this about is that US students in general struggle significantly when they come to study in Europe at ostensibly the same level because their studies have not given the same level of preparation. we never had any exchange students from caltech or MIT, i suspect they'd have found it a walk in the park, but they represent the very top of the US (and indeed global) university system.

conversely, the experience of academics who have taught at both US and European universities (including oxbridge, but not ivy league) is that, for the same year of study, European universities are teaching at a higher level.

we also have a large number of students coming from all over the world, even to mediocre universities. it doesn't mean anything about the level of teaching, its just that UK/US degrees are believed to be somehow better, regardless of whether the specific uni/course a student did actually was. China is realising this is dumb now and is working hard to

the 'they' here refers to US students, apologies for being unclear based on my previous sentence regarding my difficulties studying in france. fwiw i just looked it up and actually french PhDs are 3 years, so the higher level there compared to here translates directly into less time needed for a student to earn a doctoral degree.

so, in general, french undergrad > UK undergrad > US undergrad and this is reflected by students from those systems needing 3, 3.5-4, 4.5-6 years, respectively, to complete their PhDs.

i'm not saying that all US universities are bad. that is clearly not the case, as per here:

see above. european doctoral programs are 3.5-4 years, and i have friends who went straight from UK PhDs to post docs in Ivy League/very highly ranked US universities and excelled. my experience and that of all academics who i've spoken to this about is that US students in general struggle significantly when they come to study in Europe at ostensibly the same level because their studies have not given the same level of preparation. we never had any exchange students from caltech or MIT, i suspect they'd have found it a walk in the park, but they represent the very top of the US (and indeed global) university system.

conversely, the experience of academics who have taught at both US and European universities (including oxbridge, but not ivy league) is that, for the same year of study, European universities are teaching at a higher level.

we also have a large number of students coming from all over the world, even to mediocre universities. it doesn't mean anything about the level of teaching, its just that UK/US degrees are believed to be somehow better, regardless of whether the specific uni/course a student did actually was. China is realising this is dumb now and is working hard to
From what I was reading in regards to preparedness/course material for any given year/grade level it doesn't seem as simple as comparing one equivalent level in the US to that in the UK simply because of the way/order in which the course material is presented/given according to level because it doesn't seem to exactly transfer over equivocally by year. Meaning that their are stylistic differences and the focus of the material can differ as such in time and structure that it's not as simple as saying this year in studies in the US is equivalent to this year of studies in the UK. From a lot of the opinions I read from those involved on the academic sides from each for example a common refrain was that US universities focused more on real world applicibulities that corporations found desirable in graduates. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the timing, structure, focus and styles differ such that year equivalencies aren't as simple as saying 1US=1UK.

P.S. please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors as I would never attempt to pass myself off as a paradigm of the American educational system. My secondary studies were very limited and were many moons and multiple hard addictions ago. I'm a victim of 10yrs benzo addiction and withdrawal, which definitely had a worse effect on my cognition than any other substance that I've had the misfortune of abusing other than maybe MDXX . I'm mostly self taught and most of that self teaching had to be retaught after my repeated heavy withdrawals I experienced during my 20's and 30's, so this may or may not be intelligible.....lol

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to be the consensus. Maybe by people who learn geocentric geography and refuse to admit when they're wrong but that's how people from the U.K always behave when you point out their inconsistencies.

There aren't inconsistencies. It's a country. Like, it's literally that simple.

From what I was reading in regards to preparedness/course material for any given year/grade level it doesn't seem as simple as comparing one equivalent level in the US to that in the UK simply because of the way/order in which the course material is presented/given according to level because it doesn't seem to exactly transfer over equivocally by year. Meaning that their are stylistic differences and the focus of the material can differ as such in time and structure that it's not as simple as saying this year in studies in the US is equivalent to this year of studies in the UK. From a lot of the opinions I read from those involved on the academic sides from each for example a common refrain was that US universities focused more on real world applicibulities that corporations found desirable in graduates. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the timing, structure, focus and styles differ such that year equivalencies aren't as simple as saying 1US=1UK.

i take your point, that the focus of degrees is different, and that the US is more geared towards what corporations desire. tbh, that basically proves my original point, what benefits coroporations is not what constitutes a good education.

in the only truly equalised setting i can think of, i.e. training students to be competitive researchers on the global stage, US degrees fare poorer and the deficit must be made up by extra time in the PhD course. my experience in university settings has mostly been geared towards research, as has that of my colleagues.

the problems with education systems arise far, far before university so this discussion (while interesting, and i'm thankful for your insight re the focus of US university courses) is mostly irrelevant to what i was initially trying to say, but i made my case poorly by bringing my own experience into it. the main thing that i want to stress is that i feel like education is being dumbed down on purpose, both in the UK and in the US, but it seems to have been happening for longer in the US so the effects are more obvious.

There aren't inconsistencies. It's a country. Like, it's literally that simple.
Look... I'm not gonna argue the semantics of this with you. You know it's not as simple as that and your able to read the exact same source material that I'm privy to. So we can drop the intellectual pretenses because we all know we're both only as smart as our damn smart phones., Oh learn' ed Britt. Neither one of us is doing anything but looking it up on Google so your well aware of the inconsistencies I speak of.

On the subject, it's actually quite funny because we can sit here and argue the nomenclature of this particular parcel of land and that particular parcel of land as if it's immutable fact but if you were to go to different countries the maps might not even be the same because we may recognize or fail to recognize a country that another nation recognizes or vice versa and many map lines are hotly contested.

Last edited:
I'm sorry the rich and ignorant are the only ones who travel to other countries. Going to anywhere in the U.K. for two weeks would cost an arm and a leg for the average American.
Yeah, the only way I was able to travel so much as a lower middle class American was because I had family that worked in the hotel industry. We would get highly discounted or free plane tickets and hotel rooms.

It's exponentially more expensive for an American to travel Europe than a European to travel around Europe. Plane tickets from US to EU are about $2000 round trip.

I consider myself lucky.

Look... I'm not gonna argue the semantics of this with you. You know it's not as simple as that and your able to read the exact same source material that I'm privy to. So we can drop the intellectual pretenses because we all know we're both only as smart as our damn smart phones., Oh learn' ed Britt. Neither one of us is doing anything but looking it up on Google so your well aware of the inconsistencies I speak of.

On the subject, it's actually quite funny because we can sit here and argue the nomenclature of this particular parcel of land and that particular parcel of land as if it's immutable fact but if you were to go to different countries the maps might not even be the same because we may recognize or fail to recognize a country that another nation recognizes or vice versa and many map lines are hotly contested.

I haven't looked anything up lol, I'm just using my own knowledge based on the fact that I actually live there.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all countries.
So is Texas? This is a really silly semantical argument you picked. You know Texas gets to fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag? Because they recognized our prior sovereignty. North Ireland is debatably the same thing as calling Gaza a part of Israel, the Irish never wanted y'all there but you wouldn't fuck off. Scotland wanted freedom and the vote was quelled...

Yer bein' silly mate :)

Edit: turns out any state can fly their flag high as the USA flag, Texas is just the only one that seems to care to lol

Last edited:
So is Texas? This is a really silly semantical argument you picked. You know Texas gets to fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag? Because they recognized our prior sovereignty. North Ireland is debatably the same thing as calling Gaza a part of Israel, the Irish never wanted y'all there but you wouldn't fuck off. Scotland wanted freedom and the vote was quelled...

Yer bein' silly mate :)

You're trolling about Texas being a country :p

^UK, not Northern Ireland, specifically. Sorry, I should have been more clear there.
You should have heard what some family members in Ireland(South) said when I broached the subject with them. I should let you guys have a discussion....lol..

Look...I love the U.K. I always felt like it's where I actually belonged instead of America. I still have family that lives there and one half of my American roots only trace back to the 20th century. The other parts trace to an island that elicits the same kind of debates in America that the N. Ireland discussion brings up in relation to the U.K.

Last edited: