• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Who grew up in an alcoholic / drug addicted house hold?

Did you grow up in an alcoholic / drug addicted house hold?

• Yes

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
Just was thinking about this. Personally I grew up in a alcoholic household. I always thought my childhood was pretty good and normal, I had what I needed (food, shelter) and most of what I wanted.. But reflecting more I was straight up raised on the bottle. My parents drank everyday and a lot of my childhood was spent with a babysitter. And when I say they drank everyday I mean 5 o clock hit 7 days a week, 365 days a year they were drinking. That cooped with drug addiction in my genes I never really stood a chance imo

Psychologists say environment is very important to outcome.

Honestly makes me wonder how anyone ever makes it out of a drug addicted den like a single mom on crack and is successful and sober I don't really get it

Out of my two siblings and me were all drug addicts

Neither of my parents drank and only smoked weed . I only found out they smoked weed looking for beer money in high school. My mom caused me alot of issues threw pure emotional neglect though, my oldest memory is trying to cuddle my mom and being told to "fk off and get away from me".

Neither of my parents drank and only smoked weed . I only found out they smoked weed looking for beer money in high school. My mom caused me alot of issues threw pure emotional neglect though, my oldest memory is trying to cuddle my mom and being told to "fk off and get away from me".

That’s what I remember of my mom too. I didn’t get beat I just got neglected. I’d try to ask her something or try to get help and she’d not say a word and turn over on the couch.

My oldest memory is of being in the seat of a grocery cart and watching my mom hit the floor with a seizure, alcohol related.. Then I remember the cop pulling a toy car out of the back of his cop car, I must’ve been 2 at the time. Unfortunately my memory started working very early on, probably for survival.

-GC

My parents fucked me up in other ways (all parents fuck their kids up in some way lol) but I can't blame them for any drug-related issue in my life. I grew up in a remarkably stable, comfortably middle class home, and neither of my parents did drugs or drank (to excess).

My mom died of cancer and my dad's always been a fking absent father. Tbh, I truly met my dad when my mother passed away. And still he kept being always deep into his work. Then he asks me why I'm a junkie. Putting money on the table isn't everything, we need emotional affect aswell. And my mother was the one that gave Mr that. When she died I didn't know what to do and my father's never been there properly so.... oxy was my way to cope.

That’s what I remember of my mom too. I didn’t get beat I just got neglected. I’d try to ask her something or try to get help and she’d not say a word and turn over on the couch.

My oldest memory is of being in the seat of a grocery cart and watching my mom hit the floor with a seizure, alcohol related.. Then I remember the cop pulling a toy car out of the back of his cop car, I must’ve been 2 at the time. Unfortunately my memory started working very early on, probably for survival.

-GC
Wow, that's hardcore G. :(

My biological father was a violent alcoholic, a philanderer, and a chronic gambler.
My step-dad was a quiet, relatively responsible alcoholic who was emotionally distant most of the time.
My mom never drank, smoked, or drank coffee. She wouldn't even take an aspirin unless she was in really severe pain-- and then would take just one.
I became an alcoholic multi-drug abuser/addict who is otherwise very unlike either of my dads.

My dad drank but wasn’t an alcoholic. His brother and two sisters are though. My moms brother is an alcoholic too. Addiction is strong in my family from gambling,alcohol and drugs.
My brothers aren’t addicts but I am unfortunately. I’m addicted to black tar heroin, dilaudid and ice. I’ve been addicted for 3yrs to BTH and Ice and addicted for over 10yrs to dilaudid.

My dad drank but wasn’t an alcoholic. His brother and two sisters are though. My moms brother is an alcoholic too. Addiction is strong in my family from gambling,alcohol and drugs.
My brothers aren’t addicts but I am unfortunately. I’m addicted to black tar heroin, dilaudid and ice. I’ve been addicted for 3yrs to BTH and Ice and addicted for over 10yrs to dilaudid.
I can relate. Lots of love for u man 🤍🤍🤍

To a degree. Definitely. I wasn't peeling anyone off the floor but there was some heavy partying and drugging/drinking of a few kinds when I was a kid. Most of it I wasn'y explicitly aware of. Hard drinkers by all appearances on some ends of my family. Total horseshit how things went. Then other family members weren't at all. Household, the farther back you go the heavier it gets for a long way back..

We've all being affected in some way by our parents. We can't blame them either for our stupid choice to get into harecore drugs. But..... they have something to do with it still....

We've all being affected in some way by our parents. We can't blame them either for our stupid choice to get into harecore drugs. But..... they have something to do with it still....
Definitely. By this stage of the game though it's not a good shot to try and make at them. Or ourselves. Blaming everyone else for something like voluntary use regardless of the reasoning behind it isn't fair to them or to validate our own choice in the matter here. Don't even have to be ashamed or anything really. That could keep you in place or make it seemore solvable.

Either way it's a load off. Thinking toward something I do have some control of my life. In my opinion.

my dad drank, died at 30 from an accident, so i lived with my mom and her sister who were both bartenders, they were so good to us kids, but yeah , they were gone at night and we got away with so much, not alot of structure, can remember even making blended drinks for my relatives at 13, i barely drink anymore, it this weird family trait....early drinkers and then we just burn out and stop by mid 40`s

don't be ashamed of where you come from don't be ashamed of how your life is just bit remember that you/we are all survivors some drug addicts go the extra mile and end up in life behind bars if you know what I mean.

I am a fucking survivor I'm not into all that being the victim either but I have been to hell and back a few times in my life I have still managed not to do anything stupid for money this last year(and trust me the amount of dept i get in that's an achievement in its own) I've waited and waited in a shitty hostel and finally got a place of my own it ain't the ritz either but it's mine I got shelter now, stability I can wake up in the morning now and have a clean warm shower now like a normal person etc my family have also genuinely struggled and we have faced poverty my parents were fucking far from perfect but they did their best I never went hungry or cold.

one thing that's helped me is I've always been able to turn my feelings and emotions off like a light switch I've had to i i would go crazy especially with my dad passing 2 months ago still don't know how I've got through it he had copd and the bastards at the hospital wouldn't even give him an oxygen machine after he broke his last one then they discharge him when he's begging them to let him have his oxygen or he will die because of his breathing but they didn't care few weeks later he was dead.. And you know the worst thing we didn't get On much in his final days because the medication he was on changed him so much I didn't even recognise him he was still my dad deep down but still I stopped going round as much I wasn't even there when he died and I will have to live with it that for the rest of my life.. sorry to go off topic but I just want people to know that you don't sometimes realise how much you love a parent until they are gone for good but then it's to late don't make that mistake of not having a functioning relationship while they are alive and well if you don't it will haunt you trust me.

my dad drank, died at 30 from an accident, so i lived with my mom and her sister who were both bartenders, they were so good to us kids, but yeah , they were gone at night and we got away with so much, not alot of structure, can remember even making blended drinks for my relatives at 13, i barely drink anymore, it this weird family trait....early drinkers and then we just burn out and stop by mid 40`s
wish my dad had burnt out by that age maybe he would still be here I'm not gonna make the same mistakes though next few years I'm going university like I should of years ago before it's to late

Definitely. By this stage of the game though it's not a good shot to try and make at them. Or ourselves. Blaming everyone else for something like voluntary use regardless of the reasoning behind it isn't fair to them or to validate our own choice in the matter here. Don't even have to be ashamed or anything really. That could keep you in place or make it seemore solvable.

Either way it's a load off. Thinking toward something I do have some control of my life. In my opinion.
Bro, I'm ngl it's neither their fault nor ours.
But the fact that they could have done things better ruminates my mind...ALTHOUGH NO PARENT COMES WITH A FKING INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO BE A FUCKING FATHER/MOTHER.
SO ITS ALL TRULY FKED, TBH ITS BOTH OF USS FAULT, OUR FATHER'S AND OURS.
our fathers for traumatizing us and ours for being so lame and choosing drugs to cope with.
Idk man, I'm drunk and on benzos atm, but I think what I'm saying makes a Lil bit of sense. It's just fking life ffa.

wish my dad had burnt out by that age maybe he would still be here I'm not gonna make the same mistakes though next few years I'm going university like I should of years ago before it's to late
M8, it's never too late to go to uni. I had a friend in rehab who went to uni at the age of 34 and finished at 39. So it truly shud be no prob for u that are in ur 20s'